Atkinson: Gamers Are More Threatening Than Bikers

mobsterlobster

Sep 13, 2009
thecaptainof said:
ProfessorLayton said:
I think it's funny how the people who are constantly barraging him with hateful emails and threats think that they are going to get somewhere. It only proves his point further; you're only hurting yourselves.
This. The sort of people doing this sort of thing and posting threats of physical violence are pretty much proving his point. Good work, guys.

Don't get me wrong, I think the bloke's as much of a pillock and a tyrant as everyone else, but he might have a point - all the bikers I've known have been thoroughly nice and law-abiding guys who'd do anything for anyone. I couldn't say that about all the gamers I know.
Actually, you're right. Bikers are alright people, but gamers are arseholes. Still, as arsey as gamers are, they've got nothing on politicians, so I still think Michael Atkinson is an idiot and a prick.

NghtmaresXNoVaKaiNe

Dec 29, 2009
I only have four letters to reply to this story wit, discluding all these previous letters and despite my extreme distaste for these four letters due to their overuse. Still, i think this moment calls for it...

LOLZ

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Gamers are probably more dangerous to his political career. Biker gang membership is not a growing demographic. Offending them will not cost him much in the next election.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
Greg Tito said:
In an interview with an Australian ABC affiliate program called Good Game, he sounds off again, comparing gamers to biker gangs. Believe it or not, amongst those two disparate groups, Atkinson thinks that gamers are the more badass.
Well we like, totally are.
Let him tremble in his boots! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Ehhh? How could that guy get a place in the government?

zauxz said:
Bikers and gamers, UNITE!
That is not a bad idea at all... Maybe we should ask the escapist staff if they could send a proposal to hells angels about that? We could ride on our mc's on Wednesdays and have LAN on weekends.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
"In interactive games, the person playing is doing the action, therefore I think it has a higher impact and impact is always been a consideration in censorship or classification, call it what you will," he said.
It's called 'science' and it's not that hard. Psychology is a data driven field now- you don't just make up some ontological-Freud-style gibberish and call it an argument.

You've seen the kind of material that R18+ gamers are circulating. [/quote]Meanwhile, their kids are circulating material you have not seen- and cannot unsee. Besides, talking about the collective actions of "R18+ gamers" is like talking about brunettes. That's quite a large population you're attributing characteristics to.

Were I a skeptic, I might wonder if details of the 'threatening gamers' story are exaggerated. Still, I would be surprised if he hasn't received threats of some kind related to his political stance. Please, don't threaten the guy- just shrug your shoulders, raise your eyebrows quizzically, and make him look like an asshole.

We shouldn't be threatening people, anyway. Can that be a rule?

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
No, we're bloody not! If you go ahead and oppress Christianity, don't you think they'll throw burning crosses through the window? This is the exact same thing! Do this kind of thing to any group of people and they'll do this. Let it be gamers, Christians, homosexuals or pixies. (Imagine that, "South Attorney General killed by pixies from the woods".)

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Low Key said:
I wonder if biker gangs will take that as a challenge and start harassing him more. It would certainly take the heat off of gamers in Australia for a little bit.
Wouldn't that be great for them, I have friends in OZ I can't play certain games with so he's ruining it for people outside Australia too.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
How long does this guy hold this position for? Surely it's not over a few years is it?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
John Funk said:
Not that I think that the guy is any less of a tool, but people who physically threaten him really, REALLY don't make our side look good.
Precisely! That's rather counter-productive guys. Sure Atkinson's a douche, but threating him is not going to change his mind.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Lord_Gremlin said:
No gamer have ever tried to kick my teeth in or break my spine with a lead pipe. As for bikers...
Anyway, if you're a **** who don't give a shit about your people while you're in charge of things - expect them to be disappointed.

Atkinson, please, die already. Everybody will be happy, including other Australian generals. You're old, do this world a favor.
I don't think anyone would miss him. Not even his family.

Hell, if someone outright murdered him I think the worst they'd get is community service.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
The man's got a point. I mean, who here among us can say they've never stolen a Harley, driven it into a train-station only to dismount and have a public brawl or shoot-out with other Gamers because you don't like their attitude?

I feel we should repent; we should all find Atkinson's house and buy a "best wishes card" to slip under his door to him and his family. Maybe then we can redeem ourselves in our Lord Atkinson's eyes. Then we can walk the streets during the day, heads held high, and consider ourselves men and woman like the rest of the populous, throwing away our rabid and savage natures.

I have a dream, people...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
If I lived in Australia, it probably would've been a flaming bag of poo: American traditional prank for old goats like him.

But he's probably right: biker gangs of today aren't exactly the rape&pillage vikings of decades past. They open theme restaurants and are just really into branding.

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
I don't think gamers are more dangerous. They just know how to write. It's hard to shove a sawed-off pool cue under somone's door.

Yes. Gamers are more dangerous than biker gangs. That's why gamers kill so many more people every year than bikers in fights and in crime-related activities (crime other than killing, I mean).

Really, man. Let's disregard the obvious fallaciousness of this statement because one of them put a sternly-worded letter under your door. Let's ignore all the people who get bonged in the head with a crowbar until death by biker folks because someone got nasty with you. What's this guy's political history, high school class president Guess what. You make the rules, you make enemies. No exceptions. Hell, Jesus made some pretty nasty ones back in the day, and most sources agree he was one hell of a guy.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Atkinson, this isn't "gamers" fucking with you. This is the internet fucking with you. There is a huge difference here - although the lines do tend to overlap on bits.

But really, if someone told this guy about 4chan, he'd probably shit his pants and over-exaggerate things to Fox News proportions.