Atkinson: Gamers Are More Threatening Than Bikers

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
I have a suggestion. To all my idiot countrymen sending the elected official death threats toward his him and his family... STOP!

That is all.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Yep gamers are more threatening than Australian biker gangs, probably cause I never heard of any Australian biker gangs, although if it's an Australian branch of the Hells Angels, then I would indeed be sh(^ing my pants with fear if I pissed them off.

Seriously this guy needs a reality check.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100212/BREAKING/100219929/0/NEWS?tc=ar

Dammit! more fuel for the motherfucking fire.

P.S. Alcholol and mental disorders and behavioral problems are never to blame; it's always the video game. They're evil!

Hileo20

Dec 7, 2009
electric discordian said:
Well as Bikers tend to have some sort of code that they live by and have some semblance of respect. Us gamers are loners, we have no society and actually display many of the psychological traits it requires to be a serial killer.

We are the real threat after all we learn how to murder steal and live lives of utter sin and moral corruption without the side effects. Bikers who kill go to prison they can OD on drugs etc this is a self limiter on the outlaw baker population. Gamers on the other hand have no natural predators except for Keith Vaz and he will be too busy having his moat cleaned and getting Britain into illegal wars to be of any real threat.

Its in revelations People!
Okokok, i see youre point but hear me out. Although we have seen these things without limits to our heal and well being, as soon as we commit these acts we will be at biker level. So we may look potentially more dangerous, but in actuality we can only hope to achieve biker level.

Wait did i say hope...

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
bleachigo10 said:
I am officially naming Micheal Atkinson dumber than George W. Bush.
This guy has one really stupid thing going on yes, but lets not get crazy. No one has died over the decision he's made (At least as far as I know.)

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
Okay, seriously, what the hell?
I get that interactivity is a factor, but really, isn't the fact that we consider somebody being beheaded entertainment bad enough? When was the last time a movie gave a truly enriching experience like, say Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed do? You have to cut your losses here. What about that thing? What was it called again? Oh yeah! Art!
Most books published these days are shite. I still read because some of them aren't. Similarily you can't ban an entire leigon of art just because some of it isn't up to snuff with the censors. Seriously.

knight of zendikar

Sep 21, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
thecaptainof said:
This. The sort of people doing this sort of thing and posting threats of physical violence are pretty much proving his point. Good work, guys.

Don't get me wrong, I think the bloke's as much of a pillock and a tyrant as everyone else, but he might have a point - all the bikers I've known have been thoroughly nice and law-abiding guys who'd do anything for anyone. I couldn't say that about all the gamers I know.
Honestly, most bikers just get a bad rap. Yes, they're tough but they're usually pretty nice guys. I'm just saying that I would not be afraid of most of the gamers I know, including myself.
99% of biker gang members are law abiding citizens who do just get a bad rep. That small group known as 1%'s are the reason, there the one's brewing and selling hard drugs, and bruttaly beating to death anyone that looks at them funny.

but responding to thread, i just feel sorry for australia living under such a tool spreading his anti gaming giberish.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Gamers are more threatening than bikers? ... Akintson's been watching too much Apocalypse Lane

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
This is just ridiculous. He means to claim that gamers are worse than a group of people who have been responsible for multiple murders in the past? Here's an idea: Chuck him into a room full of gamers (Who have not been informed of his identity beforehand, as intimidation would be inevitable then), then chuck him into one full of Hell's Angels. If he claims that the gamers are more threatening, I'll start wondering if he actually has some sort of mental dysfunction. Or maybe just a stunning prejudice against the younger generation.

Netrosis

Jul 12, 2009
Donnyp said:
The guys a dick sure but why not just try to have a civilized conversation and get him to change his mind that way?
Ahehe, ahahahahaha, ohhohohoh, LOLZ.

No us gamers went straight from 'dislike' to 'death threats'. This fight has been going on for a much longer time in Australia than the media lets on.

Michael Atkinson dismisses any chance of discussion with gamers because he cannot prepare reasoning against their statements. We sent him questions and asked him to reply with his reasoning, and got no response also.

The guy obviously has his mind set in concrete on the issue and won't budge. No amount of reasoning, arguing, yelling, debating and similar methods can be used to persuade this man. He's clearly indicated that he is not open to change his stance on the issue. He is essentially trying to block out gamers on the issue (in his mind anyway), trying to ignore us.

Essentially in his mind, he previously felt that gamers were not a threatening political force, that we are a minority. His seat in politics is regarded as very stable, so he knows he is unlikely to be overthrown because of this alone.
I think the best thing that we can do is make noise against him. Prove him wrong and show him that we are much larger and much more of a force than he had estimated.

Against a man with all the power and who essentially ignores our arguments and reasoning, we need to be making as much noise as possible. I'm not condoning death threats, but I'm all for threatening him politically.

The problem is obviously with the law system, not Michael Atkinson. Rather than lobbying to appeal for just an R18+ rating, we should be appealing to have the law changed on such issues, so that one man doesn't have all the power. If he didn't have all the power he wouldn't be so confident in his decisions.

We should be protected in the future from such loony headed idealists. That fact that this requires a unanimous vote from the combined forces of the Attorney Generals, changing this law will make them all shift in their seats a little. It will also bring out these other A.G.s that Mr. Atkinson speaks about who are in support of him.
They do it this way because
a) The other A.G.s are scared that they will loose their seats if they speak out.
b) Since Atkinson is in a safe position they let him bear the blame.

The blocking of R18+ is not the only silly thing Michael Atkinson has passed. He also passed a law (South Australia ONLY) that requires all R18+ movies to be sold or rented, when on display to be in a plain case, with only the title showing. No synopsis or technical details are permitted either (I think). This law was passed quietly, and only given a 3 month window for all stores and video/DVD rental stores to comply. Even then they were never directly notified, it was done so by the media.

The bigger and more important one, was this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.172791-Michael-Atkinson-backs-down-on-censorship-laws

Essentially it was a censor against anonymous comments made about the election. It would require that the person use their real name, and postcode address amongst any comments regarding the upcoming election.
The law was also passed so quickly, it has often been referenced to the night they also voted themselves the right to have cars paid for by South Australian taxpayers.

The law was aimed at the internet, but applied to all constructive media.

But most importantly, the law was reprieved and taken down upon the swift and futile mass demonstration (in popular media) against the laws.

It's quite obvious to me, but there was a higher power at play here, as this action was obviously not a good political move for Atkinson, but he was happy enough to pass it anyway. I think the community who is for an R18+ games rating (not just gamers) need to start targeting those higher up the political chain.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
what ever happened to the good old days when you could call someone an evil commie and send the US Marines after them?

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Well, you know how it is. Just because one person does something, everyone that shares anything similar with that person must be the same.

So he's right, a few idiots slipped him some threats and spam, and because all Australian gamers are in a huge alliance and they are all responsible for the bad actions of a few people.

It's not like you can just pick up a few games and play them for a while to become a gamer, it takes commitment, and laminated cards, and a monthly membership (apart from the normal stuff you play monthly memberships for).

It's like how if one American says that the biggest country in the world is Alaska, all Americans must be retarded.

Mammon

Jan 20, 2010
At his doorstep at 2 a.m? well, surely someone like Atkinson, who seems to have studied gamers' behavior, wouldn't expect visit from a gamer around "gametime" would he? The gamer obviously had some time to kill between raid and daily quest reset in WoW. Politicians take the clock to seriously.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Well, I'll choose to look at it this like this...

I live in a world where I twelve year old boy gunned down a ten year old from his Bicycle for no reason other than he could.

Mr Attkinson seems to live in a world where if you gank someone in WoW you're actually throwing a bolt of lightning from your hands at the poor bystander...

My world = reality.
Mr. Attkinson's world = up his own arse.

It's really quite clear.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
This isn't helping! Yes, Atkinson isn't listening to reason and there are much better alternatives, and apparently there are those who consider him unfit for office for other reasons [http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/opposition-calls-for-the-sacking-of-attorney-general-michael-atkinson/story-e6frfku0-1225826810179] but for the love of God, don't harass him in real life. That's the sort of thing /b/ does. Say whatever you want about him, but let's not much this any more of a fuster cluck of chaos and name-calling than it already is.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I dunno Atkinson, maybe if you weren't putting your own brand of censorship on millions who DON'T AGREE WITH YOU, and you're THE MINORITY maybe YOU'RE WRONG?

I don't even live there and I hate the bastard.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Wow, disregarding everything in the post but that quote. This guys seems like the least verbose and elegant politician I've ever met.

lack of self CTRL

Jun 6, 2009
what about gamers who are also bikers?

also if he finds gamers so terrifying...why does he keep trying to PISS THEM OFF?

thats what's stupid, aggravating people you're scared of