Autistic Xbox Player's Mother Admits He Cheated

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
Eh, called it. It was fairly obvious the kid did something to deserve it from the beginning. Microsoft doesn't just mess with people's accounts for no reason, and they certainly wouldn't stand by their decision after it was publicized that they were torturing an autistic child unless they were totally sure they were right.

phelan511

Oct 29, 2010
Kinda saw this coming from a mile away. Still, makes me kinda sick that someone would use their child's disability for garnering attention. Thats just damn filthy.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
I saw a lot of people saying 'It's unfair for him to be punished.' Meanwhile I didn't judge the situation and I certainly didn't say he never did anything wrong.
So, don't mind me if I go on a bit of an ego trip.

With that said. The thing I hate is not necessarily on how they used his disability as an excuse to be sympathetic. What I hate is on how she basically said 'My son didn't know any better because he's autistic.'

No, miss. It's not because you're son's autistic that he didn't know better. And that is in fact insulting your own son. Whether someone knows better or not isn't to deal with whether they're autistic, it's whether they have good or bad behaviors reinforced. If you continually let someone get away with something because 'they don't know better' then they' abuse that.

Why? Because they know they can get away with it. Because they're used to it. By reinforcing that it's never their fault you're reinforcing them to never take responsibility. Example:

Some religious people are fucking moronic. Does that mean they're autistic? No, and it doesn't mean that religious people are stupid in general either. It just means they have bad behaviors reinforced and they're willing to use god as an excuse to reinforce such terrible behaviors.

Or in the case of the autistic kid he uses his condition as an excuse.

I mean, take one of Sarah Palin's family for example. He's autistic and I'm pretty sure we can all agree he's not the stupidest one in the family. Heck, he might even be the smartest. With that said I believe I've made my point which probably all the Escapists already knew.

Here's to hoping that in the future we'll be able to meet more people that can take responsibility for their actions instead of using a long list of excuses to justify them.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
deth2munkies said:
Saw this coming a mile away as soon as I saw the title to the first news article.

Honestly, people need to stop milking disabilities.
Agreed. On both counts. glad they both got what they deserved.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Jennifer Zdenek said:
[...]it's just a game[...]
So why did you call Faux News, exactly? For "just a game"? That works both ways, idiot.
Microsoft shouldn't even have given the kid a free XBL month. He brought all this on himself.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
dibblywibbles said:
well I'm glad that's all sorted out. I've never understood why you would lie about something that can be traced with apparent ease. and to go on tv? they're gonna try extra hard to prove you're a liar then. nobody likes making mistakes especially ones they didn't do.
Why fake them at all, this beyond me. Honestly, would it get you laid or something?

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
If this wouldn't primarily hurt a young kid who simply cheated to get some achievements (for which he was appropriately punished), I would recommend permanently banning the user from Xbox Live for mass media manipulation, slander, and libel. Her son got what he deserved, digital punishment for a digital crime, but she is a deceitful, lying, manipulative . . . you get the point.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
So Microsoft followed standard operating procedures, got slammed by the mother of an Autistic child, then proven right? I fail to see a problem with this.
You forgot the part where she got a month of xbox live free and lied to the media and then didn't really own up to it, but instead explained the situation, which is what she should have done in the first place.

Wish I could cheat, get achievements, get caught and then get a month of xbox live free...some people got all the luck. D:

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
deth2munkies said:
Saw this coming a mile away as soon as I saw the title to the first news article.

Honestly, people need to stop milking disabilities.
i know right? ok, they're autistic, why are they here to begin with? more importantly, are they aware enough to care? and if they don't care, why not leave it be?

Poofs

Nov 16, 2009
i LITERALLY called this one, you can even check my comment on the original article

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
It's still harsh. There are different levels of autism, and the kid might not be fully aware of whether he did anything wrong. It sounds like the other kid gave it to him out of sympathy too. Kind of a pathetic story, the mother lied, but the kid was probably really troubled about it. For a mother child's happiness >>>>> honor or truth.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
I hate people who call prejudice the moment something happens to someone who is different in some regard. Even if this did turn out to be some misunderstanding, it sickens me how anyone could use a disability to try and gain sympathy.

What's worse is that Microsoft caved in and gave the kid a free month of Xbox Live, and allowed him to restart his gamertag. That's just not right... What kind of message does that send to people? Is that fair to all those people who do not cheat, and gain their achievements fairly.

I don't hate political correctness as a concept, but I really hate how some people think they can use it to do whatever the hell they want. I'm just glad Microsoft didn't give him his points back. If I owned an Xbox and had heard this story, I would seriously consider complaining to Microsoft...

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
ReiverCorrupter said:
It's still harsh. There are different levels of autism, and the kid might not be fully aware of whether he did anything wrong. It sounds like the other kid gave it to him out of sympathy too. Kind of a pathetic story, the mother lied, but the kid was probably really troubled about it. For a mother child's happiness >>>>> honor or truth.
The fact of the matter is the cheating did in fact occur, and the mother was well aware of what her son was doing and that it was, in fact, the wrong thing to do. Who gives a crap if the kid is austistic or not; that has less than nothing to do with this situation. You take something away from any kid, they spent a lot of time working on, they are going to be unhappy.

Also, they might have gained more sympathy from Microsoft if the mother didn't come out accusing Microsoft of been an evil corperation picking on her son for being austistic. That says to me, they knew what the kid had done was wrong, and were just trying to get out of trouble using whatever they could think of as an excuse.