Autistic Xbox Player's Mother Admits He Cheated

BinaryCrystal

Jan 26, 2010
Irridium said:
Cheating for Recon armor? Thats so... 2007/2008
No doubt, I can admit I don't have Recon nor do I have any plans to acquire/wear it.

OT: Well the rules are there for a reason, sure he was young but sometimes you need to think things through before you continue with them.

I remember when I figured out how to mod my own profile. I never did because I knew the consequences and I didn't want to mess with my reputation.

Oh well stuff happens, not much they can do now.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Or, just maybe, it's possible that Microsoft bribed the woman. A chunk of change to them is a far better compromise than a total backlash of anger from the general public.

Sep 17, 2009
Microsoft came out of this smelling like roses. Not only were they right about the cheating they gave him a free name change and a month gold membership. Kudos to them for sticking to their guns and being nice.

Alizee Serenity

Nov 20, 2009
Some parents. Even if her story of 'it wasnt anything important so I thought it was okay' was believable-she knew it WAS cheating in the first place, and yes kiddies-most stories that mention nothing of solid fact except the kid isnt healthy in someway shape or form is called a 'Sympathy Card'!

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
So not only did the son cheat and lie about cheating, the mother was helping him lie about cheating. And of course, we were supposed to go for the knee-jerk reaction, which was to feel sorry for the autistic kid and rage against the EEEEVIL mega-corporation.

While the truth was going to be exposed sooner or later, this story irks me as yet another example of political correctness gone mad.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Eh, not surprised. It sounded like the kid might have cheated (I wasn't sure though) and the parent either didn't know or was lying. Plus I couldn't help but wonder if the mother was just using here son's disability (for all we know it isn't that serious, I have high functioning autistic friends who are pratically normal) to garner a bit of sympathy.

And sure he didn't do anything horrible, but then of course he just lost some worthless points for a online gaming profile and got the label "cheater". All evens out in my eyes.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
This is somewhat off topic and a matter of semantics, but can we stop referring to Aspergers children as being autistic? Being generally weird, unsocial, and behaving obsessively over achievements is not the same thing as being autistic. When I hear autistic, I imagine a developmentally disabled person, someone who can't talk or read, completely doesn't understand facial expressions and body movement, and spends (or spent as a kid) most of their time glazed over and unable to connect with any other person (including close friends and family). I don't know this kid at all, but if he can play video games, knows how to cheat, and understands what he lost, how is he intellectually disabled? I know, I know, he's "high functioning" but still. Medicine needs sharper definitions of this condition. Otherwise people panic, throw the word epidemic around, and have paranoid delusions about vaccinations.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
A dishonest mother has a dishonest son. Sadly, not surprised. Lamentably, anything that she's told the media, including her claim of her son's autism, also comes off as suspect. It's a little disappointing not to be able to take someone at face value, bit in her defense, she was highly biased.

Wilko316

Jun 16, 2010
I weep for humanity.
They caught him cheating = he's obviously an angel.
They bring proof of him cheating = he's not that great.
That mother needs to take a good hard look at herself, letting her son cheat isn't gonna do anything for 'life lessons'. But atleast Microsoft can teach this kid.

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
yes the mother should be ashamed, but why make such a big deal about some kid using cheats to win a game? everyone does it! i mean they could've just deleted the achievements and been done with it, did microsoft really have to alter his gamer tag just to make an example of him?
i think this is just another situation of people being mad that they didn't think of it first.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
To be honest, microsoft shouldnt have even offered her that, they should just change the gamertag to cheat and lied or something like that.

MrDeano89

Jul 1, 2009
i hate when parents do this and i hate it more when the media does this, yes companies can be arseholes but they dont intentionally pick on the vunerable (i hope not anyway). I personally dislike microsoft as they have screwed me over with 2 faulty xbox's; they arent nazis they are just a company trying to make money, however there are parents out there who try to use thier kid's ailments against the world and it winds me up big style, i've been diagnose with adhd (properly) and i have NEVER used it as an excuse or a reason for people to feel sorry for me so why should other people ESPECIALLY if you KNOW your kid is in the wrong

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
oooh, but i knew it!!

yes of course i knew it, damn cheater!!!! :p

hehehehehe hihihihihi hohohohoh!!!!

okok... enough, i just hope he gets that what he did was wrong :p

Pumpkinmancer

The Pumpkin is our salvation!
Sep 20, 2010
Wait wait... they are gibving the kid a new gamer tag and a free month of Xbox live becuase he...cheated? What the heck! Seriously! Cheaters absolutly DO prosper. Gah.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
They still should have withdrawn from the 'cheater' thing, that stops being funny when you're talking about an actual disability. Which it appears they did, so it's all good.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Tom Goldman said:
Autistic Xbox Player's Mother Admits He Cheated

She's given up on fighting Microsoft, and will likely take the company's offer of a free month of Xbox Live Gold and a new Gamertag for Jackson to start again.
I don't know. Is it just me or does even this sound like too much like a reward? Sure he'll have to work to earn his gamerscore back, but would that really be enough of a punishment for him.

Or is the negative media attention now enough punishment?