Awful Characters Find Their Way Into ME3

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Trig0n said:
Well Ashley will probably be pissed.
But the way I see it I had every right to cheat on her once she got mad at me for dieing. <.<
It wasn't so much the dying as it was the whole "I loved you and haven't heard from you in three fucking years, then you decide to join a terrorist cell that killed Admiral Kahoku and led to the deaths of thousands of Alliance marines" thing. She also mentions how she almost kills herself (or volunteers for some sort of suicide mission) so she could be with you in Heaven. She has every right to mad.

DeadSpaced

Sep 14, 2010
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
DeadSpaced said:
Oh look, you're pissed because you didn't get to really know them because you're a ps3 player and you never played ME1. This was what I've been saying all along. I'm happy for you that you guys got this amazing game, but I knew people would complain about them bringing in people from ME1 and saying that they would be wastes of space and that there "won't be room for the ME2 characters". If you spent any time with any of the characters in ME1 you would realize that your statements about them are completely false. I'm not going to say more about this because I feel others did a better job. and I hate to break it to you, but they were putting in all ME2 characters THAT SURVIVED THE SUICIDE MISSION. They're also adding squadmates. If you read the article at all, there's a feature about James Sanders, one of your NEW sqaudmates.
Umm....I played Mass Effect 1, and the only next-gen console I have is a Xbox 360, I was simply pointing out the perspective of PS3 players. Granted, I only played through the entire thing once when it came out (something that happens when you're bogged down with school and/or other games). Naturally, my impressions are based upon my singular playthrough, which, obviously, does not cover the expanse of experiences/relationships/interactions one could have.

I assume you haven't read all the posts in this thread, as I've already brought up the fact that new characters are being introduced in ME3 AND the fact that while the characters from ME2 will be returning, the concern is in regards to which ones/how many will be returning as party members.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
DeadSpaced said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
DeadSpaced said:
Oh look, you're pissed because you didn't get to really know them because you're a ps3 player and you never played ME1. This was what I've been saying all along. I'm happy for you that you guys got this amazing game, but I knew people would complain about them bringing in people from ME1 and saying that they would be wastes of space and that there "won't be room for the ME2 characters". If you spent any time with any of the characters in ME1 you would realize that your statements about them are completely false. I'm not going to say more about this because I feel others did a better job. and I hate to break it to you, but they were putting in all ME2 characters THAT SURVIVED THE SUICIDE MISSION. They're also adding squadmates. If you read the article at all, there's a feature about James Sanders, one of your NEW sqaudmates.
Umm....I played Mass Effect 1, and the only next-gen console I have is a Xbox 360, I was simply pointing out the perspective of PS3 players. Granted, I only played through the entire thing once when it came out (something that happens when you're bogged down with school and/or other games). Naturally, my impressions are based upon my singular playthrough, which, obviously, does not cover the expanse of experiences/relationships/interactions one could have.

I assume you haven't read all the posts in this thread, as I've already brought up the fact that new characters are being introduced in ME3 AND the fact that while the characters from ME2 will be returning, the concern is in regards to which ones/how many will be returning as party members.
You should probably read the part of my post that's in all caps. You should probably be more open minded about listening to your characters as well, and talk to them. I'm guessing you didn't spend a whole lot of time with each of the characters for you to originally say the things you said.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
ecoho said:
Vykrel said:
i really hope Thane and Grunt return... so far the other ones i liked in ME2 have been supposedly confirmed to be returning, but i still want to know about those two.

i dont know much about Kaiden and Ashley because i didnt finish ME1, but Ashley was kind of a ***** during the short time she appeared in ME2 x.x
If you read the email she says she over reacted and shes sorry. (think about it you boy/girlfriend you thought was dead come back after 2 years and is with a known terrest group what would you say?)
all i care about in ME3 is I want to finger quote at the turrean councilman when the reapers show up......
after like 30 of those messages i kinda started to just read the first sentence or glance at them then delete em lol

anyway, she shouldnt have been pissed at all. Shepard didnt have any control over what was happening. its not like during his coma he could think to himself, "I should really give her a call..."

i can understand her being pissed about him being with Cerberus though, but he DID try to explain himself

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
When we charge headlong into the final battle with the reapers I hope to god I have the satisfaction of unifying the Geth with Legion at the helm on one flank with the Quarians lead by Tali on the other.

Humans, Turians, Asari, ect. are nice... but the Geth and Quarians getting past their history and unifying under one flagship commanded by Shepherd would make for an epic sequence if it happens.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
bob1052 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
This probably the reason they weren't recruitable in ME2 - they wanted at least one of them alive for canon - same with Liara.
I can guarantee you that isn't why.

Bioware has already shown that their canon is more important than what you do in your save file and are willing to resurrect dead characters to tell the story their way.
Yeah, in Dragon Age... but how do we know that isn't
Leiliana's
twin sister? And the two games have different teams! I can't really see them pulling that shit in a game whose protagonist is the same one as in the first 2 games.

At least I bloody hope not!

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Oh Hallelujah Ashley's back! I've never lost a wink over leaving Kaiden on Virmire and now I think I'll sleep better knowing that she's back! And as for the 'racism' I understood where she was coming from regarding that. Only now my problem is that I'll have to pick between her and Tali if they're both romance options/

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I didn't like either of them as much as I liked the rest of the crew, but you seem to have a very liberal idea of what "Emo" and "Racist" means. Kaiden suffers from intense pain on a daily basis. Ash has been black listed because of aliens' actions, something that is not her fault, so of course she's a bit resentful. If you take her on the quest where you talk to the Earth First party, then you get to see what real racists look like, and (not shockingly) Ash does not side with and even tells them to shut up.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
As long as grunt, garrus and Mordin are in it, i'l be happy just the same.

also capatcha gave me a maths sum... X_X

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
You know?
I really and honestly did not like Liara in the first game.
Okay that's a bit of an understatement, let me try again.
After a few conversations with Liara I was seriously considering slitting my wrists.

I did not like her, I found her annoying, boring and thought she had the personality and backbone of a bowl of soup. She seemed to exist solely to be a love interest and never seemed to evolve past that. I also subsequently resented all the extra attention she got over the rest of the characters in later Mass Effect media.
But you know what?
I sucked it up. I dealt with the fact that a character I didn't like very much was popular. I didn't understand it but I didn't question it and I didn't demand Liara fall into a star approaching supernova so that I would never have to hear her meak monotone voice again. I dealt with the fact that Liara was a major part of the game and I was happy for her fanbase that they got to see the character they liked return to the game.

Please extend the same curtosy to us Ashley and Kaidan fans. We've been waiting so long for some kind of recognition by Bioware that the characters hadn't been forgotten and that we would get to see them return just like everyone else.
And finally, they have given us confirmation. A light has come at the end of the tunnel and we who have waited so long have finally been granted a reprieve. Ashley has been confirmed as a squadmate and she's looking very sexy. Kaidan has returned as a squadmate and he looks very badass. For us, this is a great monumental moment and while it's true I'm not overly satisfied with Ashley's new look it would take her being a necromorph for me to ever not think of her a virtual goddess.

All I'm saying is, can you just try and be nice and deal with it? Sometimes people like characters you don't. This is a fact of life, it's no reason to demand that said characters be removed from the game.

Also no, Ashley is NOT racist. And while I'm here, Kaidan is anything BUT emo.

jh322

May 14, 2008
DeadSpaced said:
*Mass Effect SPOILERS to follow*

Alright, so I was just on the Mass Effect wikia, as after watching a friend play Arrival, I was curious as to what was known about potential party members in ME3. After several paragraphs of perusing I came upon this frightening detail: Both Kaiden and Ashley can be recruited.

Really? I mean, honestly. For starters, it's one thing to recycle characters (especially those that PS3 players will not have much insight into) from older titles. But it's a completely different story when you include the emo Kaiden, who never ceased to complain about his bio-implants, and the disturbingly racist/xenophobic Ashley (who has likely formed the galactic equivalent of the KKK since we last left her).

In fact, my only moral struggle in Mass Effect 1 was deciding if I was a bad person for wanting to abandon both of them on that planet (whose name escapes me).

Look, I get that it's difficult to bring in characters from ME2, based on the fact that (again, correct me if I'm wrong) you could have killed most/all of them off at the conclusion of the title. Considering how likable some of these individuals were, this might have been a mistake. I get the whole "this game has consequences" emphasis, but an unintended one might have been preventing any of these characters from joining your party in ME3.

Thoughts? Do you think characters from ME2 will be included? If so, who should be? Also, what do you think about the inclusions mentioned above from ME1?
Not everybody hated those two. Personally, I'm waiting for Ashley to come back, and didn't get my mack on with any of the ME2s ladies in case that would make her hate my shep somehow in ME3. I'm glad to see her coming back - she was always one of my favourites.

I think from ME2 we're going to be seeing quite a few characters again, but only if you saved them: for example, I left kaidan behind in ME1, and he was still dead in ME2, but I saved Ashley, and she was still alive. Bioware have shown that they can quite easily construct these situations, so don't think just because some people may have killed their entire crew, that yours will be dead in ME3 too.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Kortney said:
Distrusting the opposite race for no logical, valid reason=racist. It's a fine line.
There is a logical and perfectly valid reason though. The main reason Ashley distrusts alien is because she imagines that, when push comes to shove every race will look out for the interests of their own over others. She argues not to mistreat aliens or turn them down as allies but not to also expect aliens to help out in a crisis and instead should be prepared and capable to do things like this on their own.
If you ask me it's a very logical way to look at things. After all the Council have a history of letting problems go on outside of their territory for long perios of time, only stepping in when it endangers them. Quarians have a history of being largely self serving and being too busy with their own problems to bother with the problems of others. Krogans have the reputation of jsut being violent with no interest in helping so much as causing more problems.
Batarians and Geth are isolationists.

It makes sense to argue that these races might not rush to the aid of humans in the event of a disaster, especially not if that same disaster also effects them (the alien race in question).
Think about it, if a giant earthquake caused disaster to both Australia and China, who do you think the Chinese government would be more interested in helping out?

As for Ashley?
This is a mindset that comes from her family name being ground through the dirt due to her granfather being the only human ever to surrender to an alien race. She's had to fight to get where she is and does everything she can to rank up but is held down by the bad family history and subsequently lack of personal experience. Hence she's reverted to the three basic principles that can apply to meeting new cultures:

1. They will look out for their own before us.
2. They didn't get to the apex of their glory by being friendly. Wimps do not become top dogs.
3. They will assume the same rules apply to us.

Also in regards to all this, Ashley says and does numerous things to contradict the idea of her being racist, for instance she never idealizes humans as being superior to aliens, she never argues that aliens are lesser beings.
On Virmire she has no complaint working with the Salarian team and even volunteers for the job. She also hopes for improved relations between Humans and Quarians thanks to Tali helping with Saren. She also despises groups like Terra Firma and will vocalize strongly against them. Also despite showing hostility to Liara, she still notably shows sympathy towards her in regards to the death of her mother (hinting to Shepard to go talk to Liara because 'it's gotta hurt').

Point is, Ashley never had the true irrational bloodied hatred that everyone seems to think she has. It all comes down to practical concerns.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
DeadSpaced said:
Even if any of that true ... your point being? Are you saying that they are terrible characters because Ashley is racist(...how again...?) because comments and concepts of xenophobia shouldn't even be approached in games ... or are you saying they are terrible characters because they have baggage that has nothing to do with the game and that every person with emotional and psychological baggage should be exempt from the game?

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
Vrex360 said:
If I said to you that the people in Sudan shouldn't be helped because I imagine that black people will look out for their own interests over white people - I'd be a racist. Being a racist doesn't require deep seeded hatred of the other race. I can empathise with her and understand she isn't evil, but she still illogically views other races differently to how she views herself. Xenophobe. Racist. Whatever you want to call it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Okay wow. Just... Wow. Lots to say about that rant.

1. I hate to sound fanboyish, but screw the PS3 players in this case. Bioware shouldn't gimp their possible character pool and disappoint lots of fans who have been playing on PC or 360 because some people on the PS3 won't know who Ashley and Kaiden are aside from one cutscene in ME2. Besides, if they're both as bad as you feel they are, they aren't really missing anything by not knowing them anyway right? Which brings me to...

2. You have shown a poor understanding of both characters. I get the impression that you never really talked to either of them very much. I'm sure others have explained them properly by now, so I'm not going to get into it right now (plus I'm too tired to write that much at the moment).

3. Recycling characters? Really, you went there? It's called a sequel and in this case, a trilogy. Bringing back established characters isn't "recycling", it's continuing a story. I mean damn, if bringing them back from ME1 and a scene from ME2 is recycling, how come you aren't raging about them being so lazy that they recycled Shepard again to be the main character? Sheesh.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I haven't finished ME1 yet (I've finished ME2, though), but I certainly hope all of the characters who survive the first two parts will make at least some appearance in the last.

As for the war over Ashley's xenophobia, maybe she is somewhat xenophobic. But that's what makes her a believable character. She's a soldier forced into an alliance with quite recent enemies, who also happen to look down on humans. The Hundred Years' war ended nearly six centuries ago and the French and British still dislike each other (or at least the stereotype prevails). How do you expect humans to get over the (unprovoked) First Contact War after just three decades?

Also, it's pretty clear from the start of ME1 that the Council doesn't give a flying f*ck about human colonies being under attack, so that doesn't help. Of course, no one should carry their distrust for a state's policies over to the inhabitants of that state, but this is Mass Effect, not My Little Pony (despite the ridiculously coloured uniforms).

adrian_exec

Apr 5, 2009
Personally I don't care of any of my companions in Mass Effect 3 as long as I have Tali and so far no news if she will make a come-back, crossing fingers that she will.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Kortney said:
Shock and Awe said:
2. I am tired of saying this, Distrustful =/= Racist. If you look beyond just the fact that she does not trust the other races to much you will actually see that the reason for it is not that bad. If you also talked to her on Horizen she straight up says that she is not the biggest fan of aliens but Cerberus was extremists. How about you think about something before you go off the deep end?
Distrusting the opposite race for no logical, valid reason=racist. It's a fine line.
rac·ism
&#8194;
?noun

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
1. That is not racism, its prejudice, which happens to be far off from racism.

2. She actually does have a pretty logical reason for being so.

a. Turians tried to wipe them out

b. Batarians are still sending pirates at Humanity and the council does nothing

c. She has little to no experience with aliens because of her assignments

d. She does not distrust aliens on a personal level, only a whole, or their governments.

e. Her views fall more in line with realism than many act like they do. Thinking other races' governments will look after themselves first isn't exactly the more extreme thing.

f.she does so many things that go against supposed 'racism' over the course of the game there really is no point in counting.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Kortney said:
Vrex360 said:
If I said to you that the people in Sudan shouldn't be helped because I imagine that black people will look out for their own interests over white people - I'd be a racist. Being a racist doesn't require deep seeded hatred of the other race. I can empathise with her and understand she isn't evil, but she still illogically views other races differently to how she views herself. Xenophobe. Racist. Whatever you want to call it.
Thats not a very good example, seeing as she does not distrust species for the sake they are other species. It is because they are foreign governments that will look after themselves first. Its the exact same how most people will trust their own government before others. You have to remember that she was almost never was prejudice against individuals, mostly their governments.