Batman is exactly why I don't PC game

K12

Dec 28, 2012
These issues happen on console too. Most of the time on PC they can be get fixed by fans if the actual developers don't bother to do it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Really? Clearly you didn't play the Skyrim I did on Xbox 360, that shit itself every 5 minutes and couldn't even get through the opening cinematic cart ride without glitching out entirely, forcing me to reload.
You do understand that this argument is kind of pointless, right? A lot of users didn't get glitches in Skyrim.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Is this 2000-something calling? Nowadays i usually encounter Day 1 updates/fixes on consoles too. And usually bugs, errors and glitches need longer to be fixed.

Consoles are bad Pc's with a fixed hardware nowadays, but that apparently doesn't stop devs from messing up.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
They're guaranteed to work, they're also guaranteed to be locked to poor FPS and look terrible whilst not supporting higher resolution screens. I'll take one game not working for 100 that work better any day of the week.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
[HEADING=1]*ASSASSIN'S CREED UNITY*[/HEADING]

Is why I don't console game. Oh wait. Can I replace that with the Halo collection? :^)

For those who don't get my sarcasm (Probably the OP), what I'm trying to say is there's plenty of broken games on consoles too, but by that same rule there's plenty of GOOD games on PC and consoles.

So for every shitty Batman port there's 100 other games that are fun and run just fine.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Phoenixmgs said:
If I buy a game for a console, it's going to fucking work. I don't have to search forums looking for a fix for an issue instead of actually playing the game. I put in the disc and in a couple minutes (at most), I'm playing the game. Time is very important to me as I try to spend as much time enjoying myself as I can as time is limited regardless if it's gaming or anything else I enjoy doing. I'm sure after the game is officially or unofficially patched to fix the issues, Batman would be a better experience on PC but by then, I will have already played and beat Batman. I realize that Batman is not the norm but several games (and big releases) do have such issues that cause many gamers to not be able to use a product they purchased. The pro to having set hardware is shit will work whereas having any hardware configuration imaginable means there's potential for a better experience, but that's not guaranteed either because shit may not work.
You know, I see your point. I've just had Europa Universalis crash on me today, twice. I was pretty pissed off. However, consoles don't have Europa Universalis or anything like it so there is that. Indeed, an advantage of consoles is that they ussually work better. I still prefer the overall package of my PC (though I own a 360 and a 3ds) but I understand why this sort of shit might turn you off pc-gaming. Then again, no online subscription fee, steam sales, GOG sales, several genres worth of exclusives (how many strategy, MOBA or MMO's are there on consoles) a larger library overall, backwards compatibility with my earlier PC's, better graphics depending on your machine. I can even put my screen on another table, shift a chair around and I can PC game with a controller from the same nice chair that I play halo in.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I tried playing Arkham City on an Xbox 360 once at a friend's house. The low framerate was too annoying, plus being 3 meters away from the TV really broke immersion from me.

Some games come out with certain issues, and since the previous generation it has become just as widespread on consoles. They don't test games thoroughly anymore.

When I get a game like that, I'm glad I can at least troubleshoot or download unofficial patches instead of just waiting for the publisher to take his sweet time with a patch. Worst case scenario - I can always get a refund.

Phoenixmgs said:
Asclepion said:
For many PC users, setting up a build is a pleasurable experience. Watching benchmarks and assembling a customized system is an enjoyable task, as opposed to simply buying a mass produced prebuild. You may not find so, but the higher initial barrier to entry does not automatically make it worse.
I'm a PC tech, I build my own computers too. I even tweak Windows as well, disabling a bunch of services and programs, doing some registry edits, etc. I really use no other Microsoft software other than Windows itself like I don't use Windows Media Player, Firewall, Defender, even automatics updates are disabled. I don't even have an anti-virus install as there's no point because on the extreme rarity that I get one, restoring an image is faster than running the anti-virus. I game on a console primarily (I do play some PC games) not because it's pre-built but because it allows me to spend more time gaming instead of trying to fix shit.
You really should let Windows update (Important updates only would suffice). Some games rely on those updates, but the developers sometimes neglect to mention specific needed updates. Registry edits can also have adverse effects you may have not taken into consideration.

Emanuele Ciriachi

Jun 6, 2013
So you will settle for a sub-par experience that costs more simply because you are not willing to learn how to maintain a PC in working order.
As long as it suits you...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Happyninja42 said:
Really? Clearly you didn't play the Skyrim I did on Xbox 360, that shit itself every 5 minutes and couldn't even get through the opening cinematic cart ride without glitching out entirely, forcing me to reload.
You do understand that this argument is kind of pointless, right? A lot of users didn't get glitches in Skyrim.
And plenty of people don't get glitches with PC ports of games. But the OP was making a blanket statement, using one example as to justify the stance that all PC ports are shit, which isn't the case. I at least presented multiple examples of games on a console that he seems to think were just fine. Because as he said "i know they will fucking work." And yet, they didn't work, in fact, some of them are infamous for not working. So either the OP didn't know about these examples, (which I doubt), or just felt like ignoring them to make his false statement. Which is why I pointed it out.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Last time i checked the game worked, it has 30 FPS cap and downgraded graphics compared to a ps4 for example. All of these 'game breaking' issues are more common in consoles actually, not sure why you even brought this game up. I must be very lucky or something because the biggest issues i ever had with pc gaming was forgetting to update my directx version or installing Microsoft visual C++ or some shite like that.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Well to be fair, the amount of PC games that are flat out broken like this is rather rare, especially if you consider how many of them there are. And that is kinda the big deal with PC really, at least for me, the amount of games available to you all on the same platform. If I want to play a 10 year old game, I can.
Should there be something wrong with a game, 90% of the time it can be solved by a google search and 5 minutes, because on a PC normal people can fix things, on a console you can't.
I can also choose freely between what kind of controller I want to use, on console you are basically stuck with one.

So yea, that is my reason for being a PC gamer. A few problems here and there is more than worth the freedom to me.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
kitsunefather said:
Also, I don't have to upgrade my console every year in order to play a new release.
i never got this. I have a shitty 6-7 years old laptop that i play with. And it was mediocre even at the time i bought it. The newest game i played on it was shadow of mordor and it ran on medium-low just fine at about 50 fps. Of course i cant play on ultra but thats what you get with a 300$ laptop. (Cheaper than 360, lasted more, can do more things) you dont have to upgrade every year even every 5 years if you treat the pc right.

Wiggum Esquilax

Apr 22, 2015
It's your own fault if you preorder. Batman isn't my problem unless I make it my problem, and I prefer to buy games that actually work.

Console, PC, it doesn't matter. Batman never happened to me, and neither do any other broken releases.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Yeah, unless you're talking about Nintendo 1st party games, that's on the stupid side of reasons against PC.
Every console has games that just don't work. Lets not pretend that some PC exclusive shit.

In fact, PC has the modding community which usually fix bugs way before the official patch release, so those day one game breaking bugs are usually fixed by the community on PC, while they stay for a rather long time on consoles because it's expensive to patch your game.

Also don't pretend that it's something that happens often. Batman and what other game? AC Unity? It's your fault for getting that shit in the first place. If you buy a Ubishit game on release, you deserve what you get. You're encouraging shitty practices, so why not make you feel them on your skin.

@ the people saying how they spend more time fixing games than actually playing them.
Maybe you should learn how to use a PC because Microsoft made sure that their PC system works far better than their console system, nVidia releases constant driver updates, AMD is catching up and starting to be less awful about their driver and game installations will install everything that the game needs to run. PC's are as simple to use as the consoles from 2 generations ago, simpler than consoles nowadays. Insert disk (buy from Steam), press next, next, install, run the game. Oh, wow, so hard. And the games work.
If your game doesn't work on Steam, right click the game in the steam menu, properties, check files. It will check the files and fix them if needed.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Ezekiel said:
I blame consoles and their consumers for this. Building games for more than one platform when the PC can do it all is stupid. It leads to problems like this. If developers made games for a single platform, they would be much better optimized. Before someone talks to me about competition, there is competition on PC. Hardware manufacturers and software companies compete. The consoles are holding back the industry with artificial monopolies and closed off proprietary hardware.

Hardware manufacturers for PCs have nowhere near the marketing push of consoles. And why would some manufacturer of a graphics card promote, market and finance a (high-profile) videogame in the first place? Without consoles all there would be to play on PCs are point&click adventures and strategy games. Without platform holders like Sony and MS there would be no means for investment as PC sales alone would be insufficient to recoup the costs. That is not even considering the marketing, financial incentives and technical assistance that Sony or MS provides to developers/publishers. All critical in the process of making games. Simply put without consoles you would have neither the means for investment nor the sales figures to recoup said investment. You need to have a facilitator that does all the marketing, financing and distribution to get a title out there and PCs simply aren't a singular product like a console(so, other than some ancillary companies providing components, no parties involved that would thrive on its success).

I mean, you can debate the 'superiority' of PCs all day long(and from a technical standpoint I fully agree) but making games is more a matter of marketing and sales figures than having the best system to produce games for. Even a much beloved developer like CDPR admits that without console sales they could have never made Witcher 3. Consoles are becoming more and more 'PC-like' in their architecture though, so I guess there's that. However Arkham Knight shows having somewhat synchronous hardware is nowhere near a guarantee. Though, it also proves the point I'm trying to make. :p

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah I kinda agreed. Console games, they build the game to make sure it works on it while it is the other way around for pc at times.

Still that is the point on not buying it on release day if you can be patience just abit longer.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Happyninja42 said:
And plenty of people don't get glitches with PC ports of games.
Can you show me such a case for Arkham Knight?
For that game specifically, I can't, but that's my point. The OP is saying "Arkham Knight doesn't work! And that's why PC ports all suck! I know for a console that the game will work!" My point, that I stated, is that one game isn't a good example for any blanket statement like that. He said "console games will work" and I could think of about 3 offhand that I've personally played that didn't work well, even long after release. So by the OP's logic, (ie: using one example to declare an entire blanket statement) then console's are terrible too. It's a false premise.

I've had very few issues with PC ports of any games over the years, even for titles that were notorious for bugs, on all platforms. I've had several issues with console games simply freaking the fuck out and not working well, no matter what I did.

So from my standpoint, the opposite situation is true. That all console games are shit, and you should stick to PC ports.

But that's not true either, it's also a false premise, one I put up to try and illustrate the flaw in the OP's argument. Some games get developed for shit, no matter the platform, there isn't anything intrinsically good or bad about either way to play the game. So saying "PC gaming is shit because of X" is just as flawed as saying "Console gaming is shit because of Y" Arkham Knights is a fuck up, sure, I've seen no evidence to refute that one specifically. But one example isn't a trend, it's a data point.