Be a man (Say something you hated about a game you Love)

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Shadowrun suffered without the dlc it was promised, and the cross-platform play was a bit off.

Chromehounds really needed a better method of spotting the enemy, and there weren't enough special events.

Civ 5 won't work on fullscreen mode, and instead just covers the screen in a window, cutting off the bottom of it. Get it together Fireaxis.

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
I hated the final boss of Shadow of the Collosus. All the other bosses acted with at least reasonable intellegence (the kind you might expect from some animals) but the last boss was idiotic. It didn't matter how many times you stabbed his back for no damage he would still reach around to grab you like an idiot, then lift you up within firing range of his shoulder no matter how many times your've pin-cushioned it before.

Jun 3, 2010
Thibaut said:
I HATED God of War 2 for putting so many puzzles and platforming sections in. I hated Borderlands for it's underwhelming experience. I hated Call of Duty's knife mechanic.
God I fuckin`hate call of duty's knife mechanic. At least when I knifed in medal of honor it worked

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Persona 3 - Fatigue.
Star Ocean 2 - The voice acting.
Final Fantasy VIII - Draw.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
sazzrah said:
Poor writing? Really? I know it sucks for PS3 owners (being one myself) coming to the Mass Effect series and not 'getting' every reference or understanding the relationships between all the characters, but ME2 was made long before it was released on PS3 and so those writing decisions were already made under the assumption that most players will be coming to the game after completing ME1 and importing their Shepard. The import feature being one of the big selling points of ME2, so cameos of past characters and frequent references back to events you helped to shape were pretty much a given - if ME1 was barely referenced and no returning characters made an appearance then it would make a lot of people wonder what the point was of importing at all.
ME2 on PS3 was released long enough after ME2 on other consoles for them to very easily change dialogue or retcon characters who don't really do anything like Ashley out of the story so they still make sense so if they still keep making references I need to do background reading to understand yes that is poor writing.

OniYouji said:
Except they did, or didn't you notice that things feel a bit more mature and serious this time?
My point was it's still the same formula.

R0cklobster

Sep 1, 2008
Hitman Blood Money. The AI inconsistently good/bad. Also, just for the Hitman series in general, I think that coop would be a good idea.

Cerrax

Feb 15, 2009
Split/Second-- Why are there 2 different Air Strike modes (3 if you count DLC) but only one Survival mode? MOAR SURVIVAL.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl-- Online mode is absolutely terrible.
Marvel vs Capcom 3-- Online mode is absolutely terrible.

ShakyFiend

Jun 10, 2009
Dragon Age 2; that game could of been improved almost 100% by one thing: Ageing. The games about the passing of time and the change of characters, but it fucks immersion completely if, after yet another five year gap, none of the characters has changed one bit. Come on, the games got an 'Age' slider in the character creation ffs, would of really added some nice depth to it, and it would of been pretty original too.

Mass effect 2: Bloody load times, I dont know what it is but on my PC they take bloody ages.

World of Warcraft: if you dont treat it like a job, then dont expect to get anywhere past 85 as far as end game content goes, there should be a server for people who arnt fanatics.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Dragon Age Origins: Super slow/choppy combat, inefficient particles clogging up the screen, glitches, poor game balance, too easy on Nightmare, Needed a Hell Mode for the truly insane.
No followup story for Morrigan released yet.

Dragon Age 2: Fixes every flaw Dragon Age Origins had and still not being perfect.
To much graphics (complete waste of dev resources), not enough maps, poor pacing. Nightmare was good, though still needed a Hell Mode for the truly insane.
There is no real ending. I needed more time to know my brother, maybe start with a day in the life in Lothering. Don't tell me the blight is coming, just crush me with it. After the fight to survive you get to Flemmeth and end up at port town whatever it's called, do some quests earn some favors get a boat. A few social trees make up the quests on the boat before you are greeted with the in game cinematic entering the city of chains.
THAT would have been an intro.
I think it needed 2 more acts, the first of those would be the intro I just mentioned plus some ground work while in the city.
Then of course the ending that we don't have.
More than that, unifying theme. Give us an overarching goal.

Prince of Persia (2008):
One on one combat, I miss the mobs.
More importantly though:
The ending.
It should have had two endings illustrated entirely through gameplay.
Desperate Ending: The one they have, wander over to the seals and break them to bring both the evil and the girl back. Ruining all of your progress, earning her hate, and repeating every damn mistake you watched her father make.

Strong Ending: Walk away.
Walk into the desert alone and then play the credits over the screen while the character continues walking across the endless sand.

The Prince makes some compelling arguments in the epilogue for why it was smart to bring her back but without a second game it's all completely meaningless anyways.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Half-Life 2 - The Combine combat encounters could have been a LOT better.

This was due to the AI. Not because the AI was dumb. On the contrary. If you actually see what the AI is capable of it's extremely impressive. Even more so than many of the AI engines today. NPCs would move to cover when under fire. (based on angle of attack) They'd group up and reinforce each other when others need help. They would surge forward to push the enemy back, then pull back if out-numbered. They'd even flank the enemy if the enemy forces grouped up somewhere and a side path was accessible and out of view.

The problem was, because of the linearity of the combative encounters in Half-Life 2, the AI was never able to "show it's stuff" so to speak. There were never battlefields large enough or populated enough to make full use of it. It was a shame really.

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
S3Cs4uN 8 said:
eatenbyagrue said:
the Total War series: the campaign goes on FOR-E-VER.
I was under the impression it was meant to

I also agree with soulstorm god that was shit then again DOWII wasnt much better imo
I guess, but by "forever", I mean "longer than most reasonable people can expect to still care about their empire before letting it devolve into a bunch of squabbling duchies."

Which now that I think of it, is very historically realistic.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
Tales of Symphonia:

The main characters are all annoying as hell, the only exceptions being Regal and Presea.

Also, Lloyd. I know that's pretty much the exact same statement repeated, but he deserves special mentioning because everything about him makes me want to chew my face off.

Then again, I don't really love the game. It's just good.
For a game I love:

Alan Wake:

Those constant slow-motion jumpscares aren't really effective, you know...

Also, the facial animations are pretty awful at times.

valleyshrew

Aug 4, 2010
Red Dead Redemption - the lack of radio stations made the world feel a lot more dead than GTAIV. Also lack of stuff like tv, internet, cell phone.

Fallout new vegas - the lack of vehicles and repetitive radio stations make the game a lot more dull than it needs to be.

GTAIV - my favourite game it's hard to criticise but it really does lack narrative choices. They put some more in since last generation, but they need to make it more of an rpg with branches. And very importantly they need to allow you to complete the game without killing anyone like metal gear solid, alpha protocol, deus ex, fallout and other great games do, because not everyone enjoys killing 300 people per game and it's incongruous with decent character development.

Mass Effect 1&2 - Not enough society development. A harsh complaint, but compared to fallout it's pathetically small towns and very little level design depth. I guess I'm more of a fan of openworld games than corridor shooters. Should also have some varied "fun" minigames like a card game you could play on ur ship or a pool table you could play while having conversations instead of dull repetitive puzzle minigames and dull standing still conversations.

azukar

Sep 7, 2009
Portal wasn't quite long enough.
Pokemon Red Version had minimal endgame content.
Professor Layton and the Curious Village had that friggin' chocolate puzzle.

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
Bioshock, just the fact that it stumbles around for another 2 or 3 hours after the climax. I understand that it takes time to wrap things up nicely, but the path from thrilling zenith to end cutscene is long enough that by the time you reach the end the climax has lost its impact. Someone probably mentioned this before now, but I can't be bothered trudging through all of the comments before me.

(And what in the hell is the point of putting so much effort into wrapping things up if you're just going to slap a sequel on it. It's still one of my favourite games, just that little fact irks me.)

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Dragonage Origins: Insane difficulty curve unless its on easy, while the voice acting is general brilliant sometimes its awful (very rarely though) and the 'dark' fantasy didnt come across untill Awakening

Mass Effect: the DLC sucked

Mass Effect 2: I hated most of my squadmates, the story sucked, and when the fuck will he be done with those calibrations!

KotOR: cant really think of a criticism except that the love side plots didnt come off that well

KotOR 2: Well the obvious really...

Half Life 2: when are we getting episode 3?

StarCraft2: i suck at it

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Mass Effect(first one)-Fix the damn combat, and if you ever do PLEASE do no take away the items,. I enjoyed that part.

nexekho

Jan 12, 2011
New Vegas' interior level design feels like it was designed by brain-damaged monkeys.

Seriously, when a 3-room house becomes a maze, you failed at level design.
This. It doesn't help that the map marker system has no concept of the Y axis (or the Z axis for you 3DS Max/Unreal3 freaks) and you have to find that spot on each floor trying to figure out where it's talking about.