Best and worst tv series finale.

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
I don't know about best, but worst has got to be Stargate Universe (aka Emoverse). Apparently the series sucking wasn't good enough, neither was killing the Stargate franchise (the whole franchise was shut down due to Emoverse's terrible ratings) they felt they had to go out with a suck. Why have a cliffhanger ending when THE FRANCHISE IS OVER. No follow-up movie to Atlantis, to 3rd season of Emoverse (thank God) no 3rd SG-1 Movie.
SG-U, please stay dead, you pile of whinny angst and crap.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Worst: Doctor Who 10th Doctor. He might have well been saying he's to young to die.

Best: Star Trek Voyager.

Yamato-san

May 29, 2011
aba1 said:
Berserk had a much much much worse ending
TVTropes would refer to it as a gecko ending [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GeckoEnding]. You kinda get used to them after a while, but that doesn't make them any less annoying. For me, the worst offender I've encountered thus far is Venus Versus Virus. I have yet to read the manga, but I'm hoping it at least ends off a lot better than having the villain defeated, and literally SECONDS LATER (after a very brief yuri-implicit scene of the two main characters together, who may be either alive or dead at this point) cutting to a standard credit roll.

But you know, with Berserk, I don't really mind it too much. Ending an anime at the end of an arc (or even an outright cliffhanger in this case) and just leaving it at that (whether or not they're blatantly saying "Fuck you, you read the manga now") is leagues better than making some very, very sad attempt at wrapping up every one of the manga's plot points, which were being nicely built up in the early episodes (which, for some reason, tend to adapt the beginning of a manga very well even when studios know they won't be lasting past the season), within the span of two or three episodes. On that note, I actually give props to the first FMA's ending. They used the entire second half of the (50 episode-long) series to wrap things up, and it ended up better than most anime I've seen (especially other anime riddled with gecko endings). From what I hear, Hiromu Arakawa (the manga's author) even oversaw the series' outline personally.

believer258 said:
Where FMA started excellently and ended horribly, Brotherhood started horribly and ended excellently.
well, Bones rushed through the beginning of Brotherhood because they probably knew that a lot of people already saw the first series (and it's not like the episodes from the first series are difficult to get a hold of nowadays, either; it's only half a decade old). Plus, Brotherhood was already revealed to be a faithful adaption of the manga before it even came out, thus it would be most beneficial to get right into the heart of everything that the first anime missed out on (especially since the first anime already did a mostly faithful adaption for its first half, minus some of the foreshadowing for its latter half). Really, it was a win-win situation for them.

shadyh8er said:
Best: That 70's Show. Fez FINALLLY got Jackie, and the mistake of sending Eric and Kelso off the show was fixed.

Worst: Angel Beats!. It's treated like some kind of heartwarming twist, when in reality it just opened up a huge-ass plot hole.

First thing to keep in mind is that the meat of the series takes place in the afterlife. Earlier in the series, the main character (Otanashi) gave his consent to donate his organs right before he died. The reveal at the end is that the villain (who at this time underwent a heel-face turn) was saved by the Otanashi's selfless act. The problem? It's implied the ex-villain was in the afterlife long before Otanashi. How can that be if Otanashi died first?!
yeah, it was nice to get them back in That 70's Show, if only for that brief moment (and best of all, that new guy, whom they tried and horribly failed at making into their Gary Stu of a replacement, was nowhere in sight). It was like the writers were apologizing when they knew they'd fucked up (well, more like Topher Grace apologizing for leaving production the way he did). It looked a little bit like a rush job (Topher probably only agreed for a last minute appearance), but it still feels satisfactory and didn't really leave any loose ends (that I can recall, at least).

As for Angel Beats...
for what it's worth, Otonashi did imply that he didn't really belong in that world, and that he may've been wandering around for a while. Though, it was still confusing in some other ways, but I guess Key, in their typical fashion, was putting all focus here on emotion (which I think actually was quite touching, especially with Ichiban no Takaramono playing) and not so much expecting the viewer to overthink some of the screwy mechanics of this interpretation of an afterlife (like why Otonashi's apparently missing his heart in a world where everyone regenerates after mutilation, how some of these kids actually died when their flashbacks mainly entail regret over OTHERS dieing, just how and why the hell Kanade developed all her Guard Skills when she's only there to show someone her gratitude, and that entire post-credits sequence... oh, and the most important question of all: what kind of fucked up life could TK have possibly had?). And hey, so far as Key endings go, I applaud them for not doing a complete cop-out (like Clannad After Story, and to a lesser extend, the "miracle" of Kanon), though it's still no Air.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Worst: the first season of Heroes.

Seriously, that whole "he slithered off into the sewers" was bullshit. Just kill him already!

Best: Season 3 of The Mentalist.

...for precisely the opposite reason. It was in character, it made sense, it had balls. Great writing.

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
I don't watch a lot of TV, and for the most part, the shows I do watch are either still going or I just haven't seen the finale.

I must say, the Jericho finale was disappointing (though I know it's because the show was cancelled and they didn't really have time to wrap things up). It was well done, it just annoys me that such a great show was cancelled, and the story was left unresolved - just as it was really starting to unfold.
Still, I'm happy they made an additional seven episodes after the additional cancellation.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Stargate Atlantis.

There was no conflict building up over the course of the series. Just a throwaway fight introduced in the last episode.

Utter dissapointment.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Worst: Buffy, probably. I really wasn't a big fan of the ending. Heroes was terrible too, but that wasn't an ending, really, it was cancelled (good thing, too season 4 was shockingly bad

Best: Battlestar had an absolutely perfect ending, just amazing. Friends also had a classic ending

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
Best i would say is either sg-1 or scrubs.
Worst: Worst i would say maybe ghost whisperer. Its all about her but her son saves that day? kind of lame if you ask me.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Yamato-san said:
As for Angel Beats...
for what it's worth, Otonashi did imply that he didn't really belong in that world, and that he may've been wandering around for a while. Though, it was still confusing in some other ways, but I guess Key, in their typical fashion, was putting all focus here on emotion (which I think actually was quite touching, especially with Ichiban no Takaramono playing) and not so much expecting the viewer to overthink some of the screwy mechanics of this interpretation of an afterlife (like why Otonashi's apparently missing his heart in a world where everyone regenerates after mutilation, how some of these kids actually died when their flashbacks mainly entail regret over OTHERS dieing, just how and why the hell Kanade developed all her Guard Skills when she's only there to show someone her gratitude, and that entire post-credits sequence... oh, and the most important question of all: what kind of fucked up life could TK have possibly had?). And hey, so far as Key endings go, I applaud them for not doing a complete cop-out (like Clannad After Story, and to a lesser extend, the "miracle" of Kanon), though it's still no Air.
I can only wonder if there was an explanation though. The series was originally supposed to be 26 episodes, but it got cut in half for some reason (to the annoyance of the studio).

Also, I agree with you on the FMA ending. Especially seeing how the movie turned out, the ending was fine the way it was. Also amazing is how people tend to forget that the manga artist APPROVED of the ending.

Gwarr

Mar 24, 2010
best:Supernatural Season 5
worst:Smallville Series finale 10 YEARS AND YOU GIVE ME A STUPID CGI COSTUME FU!

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
The Shield had the best series finale I've ever seen. A close second would be Stargate Universe. The lead up to that was a bit rushed but the final shot said everything it needed to say.

The worst I'd probably give to Nip/Tuck. That was painful to watch.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Best would be Star Trek:TNG the last episode ('All good things...') was just really cool, or Stargate (SG1), as it had a nice closure, too.
As for animes, I have no real favourite ending as I just watched too much.

Worst, could be Elfen Lied or Berserk

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
All this thread is telling me is I don't watch enough tv.

I know my personal best Series ending is Blackadder, if only because it was much more powerful given the context of the show. Still very saddening though.

Worst has to be the most recent Doctor Who series. Seriously, you finally get to see what the fuck is going on, then wrap it up in a pretty bow and finsh it in one episode. Hell, even David Tennents sad death was better then that since it made sense and had a proper ending...

Nemesha

Jun 23, 2009
Best: Prisonbreak
second best would have been Supernatural after season 5, but wth the greedy bastards had to continue...

worst: Lost, I don't think I have to explain this one
Second worst: Scrubs.... The ending of season 8 was sooo perfect but then they had to ruin it in season 9, I stopped watching after 5 episodes.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
I really want to know what everyone's problem with Lost's ending was. I mean it was ahell of a lot better than what most similar mystery style show get. Compare it to how say the X-Files, Twin Peaks and The Prisoner ended. Lost had a much better resolution than those series did.

Retronana

Nov 27, 2010
aba1 said:
please as far as anime goes there is much worse than FMA at least the movie helped fix it up Berserk had a much much much worse ending
Berserks ending wasn't bad, it was just extremely devastating and shocking. Whether that's intended to amplify the raw-ness of that moment in the series or because of not having the animation budget to continue is what defines whether it was bad or not.

Don't get me wrong I felt sick by the end of berserk and almost started crying but I wonder whether that's what the production team intended by ending that way.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
Krion_Vark said:
I haven't watched the Anime yet but I did read the Manga and I have to say that the endings most likely don't add up with the way you described it.
That's what I've heard. The Manga continued, but they just abruptly cut off the Anime.

They ended it with a small bit of the sacred jewel collected, Naraku still alive and kicking, no key characters dead, no key characters having formed anything beyond friendship, and no one even admitting their feelings. It literally ended with the merry band of unlikable characters walking off into the sunset to try and find the sacred jewel so that Inuyasha could become a full fledged demon. Ten seasons, and you wouldn't have noticed if the last episode came twenty episodes in.