Best Buy Charging $30 Extra for "Updated" Xbox 360

darkroot

Jan 2, 2009
Yeah I worked at Bestbuy for my work experience program in high school. Really all they did is charge you like $60 reformat your computer. Or fix something that would take a tech literate person 10 mins to do and keep it there for a week and charge you $100 dollars.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
galaxygamer said:
I never understood why companies, like BB and GameStop, own huge sectors of the video game industry, but they aren't broken up like other monopolies. I also don't understand why BB and GameStop continue to make money, while other real boutiques and chains like GameCrazy, are closing at record numbers across this country. It blows my mind that people know these mega-companies perform these unscrupulous acts, but they are still supported by consumers. Simply amazing!

This is another reason why I will buy my shiny new Ps3slim on Amazon.com. Forget these big-box stores that only care about screwing over the customer. I'll just shop online. At least Amazon has good customer service

/rant

~~Nick
...Because they aren't monopolies. That would be the main reason.

Brian_Rowe

Mar 4, 2009
You can also pay $150 to have them configure your system in home. In other words, they plug it in, input your network password, and let the update run. Two years ago, the same service was $75, so people must be buying into it.

Idiots.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
theultimateend said:
These aren't people out to get you, they are people who can't currently get a job that pays as well anywhere near them. I'm the only one of any of my friends to finish college recently that has a job...at all.

I like when folks don't take it out on the employees because it changes nothing. It just ruins some innocent persons day because they were doing their job. Not everyone wants to shovel shit but far be it for me to go around heckling them because that is their job.
BAAAAAAWWWWW

Please, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself. "bawwww don't blame ME! It's not MY fault! I don't LIKE what I do!"

If you don't like what you do, don't do it. There's NOTHING that says you can't look for another job while you have this one. Get out there and do it, and quit whining to us about how moral you are.

Table Chair

Jul 8, 2009
This reminds of a shop here called GAME which was selling the regular L4D for £45 but also sold the "special edition" which costs £55 and contained the Downloadable content. The free downloadable content

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
George Palmer said:
Not only are they pulling this shit with the xBox, they are doing it with computers too. I went to buy a laptop. The price was $600. I get to the register they ring it up as $670.

"Oh thats what we charged to update the windows OS"

I've been using computers since the late 70's. I can do that myself. I don't need you to do that. I'll take a laptop without the update.

"Oh we've done it for all the laptops. They ALL come with this upgrade service now."

Ok, then forget it. I will buy my laptop somewhere else.

"Oh...umm...let me get a manager... (1 minute passes)...(manager arrives)it seems we've found a laptop that wasnt updated, your in luck!"

No, your out of luck. Im not falling for this bullshit. You just lost a sale. Try being honest with people next time and not over charging them for something that is pretty much automated on the computer.

And I haven't been back since.

As far as I'm concerned they can go fuck themselves in the ass with a big rubber dick.
I have to agree that this is wrong but also getting mad like this won't help either. You are also a member of the Escapist staff. You really shouldn't be acting like this just for the fact that other members may see it as free reign to act like this as well.

I don't mean to chastise but I don't want to see someone get into trouble over someone else's way they do business.

MysticnFm

Jul 8, 2009
theultimateend said:
Don't worry mate you are not alone. Even though I do not think Best Buy's exist in Australia, most decent people know that chain stores like Kmart and Big W and such do not give a rats ass about the actual Sales part of a Sales Assistants job. I mean, a while back I worked at Kmart, and was stuck with everything from Home entertainment, to lawnmowers, to manchester and linen. Plus we did not have a cataloging system, and were not told about incoming stock. Even then, they had to balls to tell us to focus on "sales techniques" and selling items to customers. It was bullshit.

The Bandit said:
BAAAAAAWWWWW

Please, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself. "bawwww don't blame ME! It's not MY fault! I don't LIKE what I do!"

If you don't like what you do, don't do it. There's NOTHING that says you can't look for another job while you have this one. Get out there and do it, and quit whining to us about how moral you are.
You just lit up my "dickhead alert" meter.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
MysticnFm said:
The Bandit said:
BAAAAAAWWWWW

If you can refute the logic out of one word I've said, then please, go for it.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I also like how they are selling the copies of Viva Pinata that say not for resale at the bottom of the box because it was teh version that came free IN the box with the console for a while.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
manaman said:
Gariom said:
This is a crime! There's actually people who are unaware how easy it is to get the update that would actually pay for this and it's not fair.

But, by all rights, Microsoft should ship new Xbox's (especially Elites) with the newest update already installed. But then again, that would be generous and make their customers a little happier and Microsoft simply isn't capable of that.
You know they are not magicked to the stores right? sometimes they would sit in a warehouse for weeks, eventually get shipped to a store, and then possibly sit on the shelves for some time. There is no telling if that box you got was six days or six months old. Do you want Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony to put freshness stickers on your boxes?
Actually Xbox have the wonderful little manufactured date on it next to the serial number so you can tell how fresh it is :)

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
FoolKiller said:
manaman said:
Gariom said:
This is a crime! There's actually people who are unaware how easy it is to get the update that would actually pay for this and it's not fair.

But, by all rights, Microsoft should ship new Xbox's (especially Elites) with the newest update already installed. But then again, that would be generous and make their customers a little happier and Microsoft simply isn't capable of that.
You know they are not magicked to the stores right? sometimes they would sit in a warehouse for weeks, eventually get shipped to a store, and then possibly sit on the shelves for some time. There is no telling if that box you got was six days or six months old. Do you want Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony to put freshness stickers on your boxes?
Actually Xbox have the wonderful little manufactured date on it next to the serial number so you can tell how fresh it is :)
I refuse your logic and will only believe that I am right.

Aside from that I guess you could sit there looking at a pile of boxes for the freshest box. Don't be so judgmental people I know you all go through the fruit to find the goodins, what is the difference?

MysticnFm

Jul 8, 2009
The Bandit said:
MysticnFm said:
The Bandit said:
BAAAAAAWWWWW

Why the hell should he have to look for another job? If the place is so bad, he will just get replaced by someone worse anyway. The thing is, as much technical knowledge as an individual has on his product area, if he isn't supported by product sheets, shipping data and all the necessary things that a specialty store like EB games or JB Hi Fi has, they can only do so much to please customers.

What you have to remember is that, yes the companies are big, faceless and evil. But often the grunts that work there are not. So vent your anger on the people who decided they wanted to make boatloads of cash over good customer service, not the people who are unfortunate enough to have to sell these shithouse ideas.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
MysticnFm said:
The Bandit said:
MysticnFm said:
The Bandit said:
BAAAAAAWWWWW

Why the hell should he have to look for another job? If the place is so bad, he will just get replaced by someone worse anyway. The thing is, as much technical knowledge as an individual has on his product area, if he isn't supported by product sheets, shipping data and all the necessary things that a specialty store like EB games or JB Hi Fi has, they can only do so much to please customers.

What you have to remember is that, yes the companies are big, faceless and evil. But often the grunts that work there are not. So vent your anger on the people who decided they wanted to make boatloads of cash over good customer service, not the people who are unfortunate enough to have to sell these shithouse ideas.
My point was primarily focused on the fact that he's whining about how he doesn't like what he does, but how he has chosen to do nothing about it. No, his leaving wouldn't solve anything, but HE would feel better. His conscious would be clear. You haven't really addressed any of that.

I just have a problem with someone saying "I know it's wrong, but I can't do anything about it." Yes you can. You can leave.