Best Free/Free-to-play game you've played

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
aescuder said:
I'm currently playing Spiral Knights, a free-to-play MMORPG, in steam right now.
Probably Dungeons & Dragons Online, the Turbine MMO. I find that I am able to play the game with friends who don't sub and they can truly play a LOT of game content for free.

It's the same company that does Lord of the Rings Online and Turbine is known for doing the F2P model well.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
League of Legends. So much fun. :D Wasn't into the genre until I played this game. I recommend it sooo much. :3

Mar 30, 2010
Good free games you say? Well ADOM is a hugely in-depth Roguelike if that's your thing. Daggerfall is free if you prefer your RPGs to have graphics. Beneath a Steel Sky is free if you like a blinding point-and-click adventure. There's my top three, enjoy.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Alien Swarm personally. Had loads of fun with it, just wish more friends were up for playing it regularly :)

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
King Arthur's Gold is addicting but sometimes unfair
Area 51 has a fun multiplayer, same for FEAR
TF2 was fun until the spy&sniper update, but i still played it for 440 hours
BFHeroes has the same issue but still fun
APB is fun, until you start crashing and lagging a lot
and Alien Swarm is fun with 3 buddies, nobody plays now tho.

th155

Mar 4, 2011
The MARDEK RPG series for me.

People always seem to underestimate the power that flash has as a programming language/gaming platform. The guy that made this game put more thought into it than seems to be in most AAA games today. It's a must play really, expecially if you loved the old sprite based RPG type of games.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
I'd say tf2, but i payed for it way back when.
I used to have a lot of fun with combat arms, before it became unplayable due to hackers...\
So, I'll say alien swarm, great fun.

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
Only 3 people have said league of legends so far! This saddens me greatly as it is clearly the best free game based soloing on their website url. lol-europe.

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
TF2? /thread

Nah but really, All Points Bulletin: Reloaded (APB:R) is pretty good.
Driving around a gang-torn city with your mates shooting out the windows of your sports car is pretty fun.

DatedSandwich

Jan 24, 2010
Both Dragon Nest and Rusty Hearts are good, reflex based, free to play MMO's. I've started to lean more towards that style of gameplay, don't know if i'll play Vindictus EU though, people are complaining about a lack of content.

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
Urban Terror is pretty good too.
I think a newer version out since the last time I played it a few years ago. But it's darn good if you can't be bothered buying CoD4, which obviously beats it hands down.

Mar 2, 2011
InB4 TF2... Oh, wait...

InB4 League of Legends... damnit!

Though, I would warn you that League of Legends has the shittiest community you're likely to find outside CoD and YouTube. That being said, it's still a whole lot of fun.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
AngryFrenchCanadian said:
Cpu46 said:
Mabinogi

Great combat system, nice community, cash shop that doesn't break the game, tons of awesome skills, graphics that look nice without frying my poor laptop.

Actually most of the stuff published by Nexon is good quality gaming. Vindictus, maplestory, DFO, dragons nest. Didn't like combat arms though.
Would you say that Mabinogi is grindy, or that it isn't too hard to progress?

I mean are we talking Korean-MMO grindy or minimal grind here?

It's just that it piqued my interest, but I've go so much to play at the moment I don't know if I can spare the time.
Minimal grind, It is a Korean-MMO but there is no reason to grind unless you really feel like it. There are a few quests telling you to kill a certain number of X but most of them are optional and quests requiring you to collect x from y with a n% drop rate are all optional and they usually pay pretty well for the trouble. Its definitely worth a look.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
The Madman said:
The amount of time I've put into Dwarf Fortress is kinda terrifying and yet I still often feel like I've only begun to scratch the surface of this incredible game especially when I see what other people have been building.

Amazing game, absolutely amazing.
Of course, with a game like that, FUN is inevitable.

OT: Maybe Dead Frontier? I'm a fan of scary games, and this, in a dark room, in the middle of the night is good.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Seishisha said:
Trackmania nations is a pretty good free game, atleast if your into precision racers, its got about 60 premade solo maps, countless multiplayer ones and an editor that lets you create your own maps, so even if you get bored of trying to win races you can always make a stunt park and have some fun.
Having JUST found Trackmania this past weekend, I'd agree with this wholeheartedly! It's a fantastic racing game. Loads of fun, good challenges, the online is OK (Not great), level editor, car painter, and 100% free. Hard to argue if your a racing fan!