Best game you have played this year?

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
It's probably a tie between Black Ops and New Vegas. I've also had quite a lot of fun on Fifa 11 this year as well.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Demon's Souls, Child of Eden, Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, Trails in the Sky, Portal 2, Valkyria Chronicles 2, L.A. Noire.

They all have their strengths, can't definitively say one is better than the others (although the first three are my favorites).

AbstractStream said:
machblast said:
SMT Nocturne
Oh cool, I'm not the only one.
Yep. SMT Nocturne. Oh and Silent Hill 2.
Then again, I'm waiting for Catherine so let's see how that fares.
Well, this is interesting. We're all catching up on our Atlus canon, I guess.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Lost Odyssey. I moaned about it a lot a while back, but a bit later it gets less frustrating, and the game actually has a really good story. And the characters are pretty likeable.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
machblast said:
I admit, I exaggerated. I am fully aware of what constitutes a 'truly' bad game.

I was intending on adding 'high profile' to that, because that's an entire echelon of games above a river of shit. Everyone was expecting a good game and it turned out to be terrible.
Again, I beg to differ. It has some stupid design flaws (come on BioWare, environmental variation is not a thing to be afraid of), of course, but most of the hate comes from butthurt DA:O fans who expected a remake of DA:O. They didn't get that, and much rage ensued. Overal I enjoyed it more than DA:O, actually.

machblast

Apr 2, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
machblast said:
I admit, I exaggerated. I am fully aware of what constitutes a 'truly' bad game.

I was intending on adding 'high profile' to that, because that's an entire echelon of games above a river of shit. Everyone was expecting a good game and it turned out to be terrible.
Again, I beg to differ. It has some stupid design flaws (come on BioWare, environmental variation is not a thing to be afraid of), of course, but most of the hate comes from butthurt DA:O fans who expected a remake of DA:O. They didn't get that, and much rage ensued. Overal I enjoyed it more than DA:O, actually.
It's not just that. It's the fact that 'difficulty' is either too easy or just plain stupid (as in, ANOTHER WAVE OF ENEMIES APPEARED ANOTHER WAVE OF ENEMIES APPEARED ANOTHER WAVE OF ENEMIES APPEARED with torrents of blood spurting out everywhere mixing with enormous clouds of fire creating a clusterfuck)

It also looks like garbage (lol NPC character models from 2001) and a lot of terrible writers onboard. Hamburger Helper included.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
machblast said:
Cowabungaa said:
Either:
- L.A. Noir
- Portal 2
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter
- Tropico 3

Upcoming challengers:
- Deus Ex: Human Revolutions (big contender going by the preview version)
- Batman: Arkham City
- TES5: Skyrim
- Saints Row The Third (if I get to it)
- Uncharted 3
machblast said:
Oh damn, how the shit did you manage to pick the worst game recently released to buy? What terrible luck.
Except that it's not. You should really play a truly terrible game once. DA2 is not one of them, not even remotely.

Just to make sure you will never make such a grave mistake again I am going to have to punish you.

I am very sorry it had to be this way...<youtube=3ztsAQ-kU1o>

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
It is actually a 3-way tie for me between Assassains Creed:Brotherhood, Portal 2 and Psychonauts. As of yet anyway.

machblast

Apr 2, 2010
kayisking said:
Just to make sure you will never make such a grave mistake again I am going to have to punish you.

I'm sure you like to pretend you're defending the honor of a videogame company by refusing to criticize its duds, but I don't think that helps your case in the end.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
Surprisingly, Age of Conan.

It has come a looooong way.

That's me by the way. I'm a level 80 Lumberjack.
Well there goes the rules book on RPG classes...haha

OT:
Saints Row 3 is going to be my favortie game by the end of the year...I can tell.
Then Skyrim
and all the others.

BUT NOW: I would have to say, STALKER: Call Of Pripyat, sure make me go down a crack in the earth to get a briefcase, YOU didnt tell me the only way to get out is through a monster den!

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
machblast said:
kayisking said:

I'm sure you like to pretend you're defending the honor of a videogame company by refusing to criticize its duds, but I don't think that helps your case in the end.
I was joking. I meant to say that there are worse games out there, but believe me, there aren't that many people that hate DA2 more than I do.
Edit: To make it more clear, I do not like DA2, but it is not "one of the worst AAA titles of the year". So I wanted to make that point in a comedical manner. I did not mean to say that DA2 is a good game. In fact, I think it's pretty bad, but it isn't horrible. The reason I hate it so much is the same as why most fans hate it, because it was a sequel to DA: Orgins, an absolutely astonishing game. I hope I cleared it all up.

PS. Please excuse my very poor English, I am not a native speaker.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
machblast said:
It's not just that. It's the fact that 'difficulty' is either too easy or just plain stupid (as in, ANOTHER WAVE OF ENEMIES APPEARED ANOTHER WAVE OF ENEMIES APPEARED ANOTHER WAVE OF ENEMIES APPEARED with torrents of blood spurting out everywhere mixing with enormous clouds of fire creating a clusterfuck)

It also looks like garbage (lol NPC character models from 2001) and a lot of terrible writers onboard. Hamburger Helper included.
Oh yeah the stupid enemy spamming was one of those design flaws, but at least all that combat flowed a lot better than it did in DA:O. Not to mention that the allied AI wasn't so mindboggingly stupid. Didn't really look that bad to me either, quality-wise that is as the environmental design didn't appeal to me, and neither did the writing. Liked the characters more than anything DA:O threw at me as well. Except Ogren. Ogren wins at everything forever.

Still, it's not up there in my little list of "best games you've played this year", so I'm not going to argue it's brilliant either. But it was far from a dud.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Leole said:
God of War: Collection (although it was a massive cash grab stunt)
Those bastards and their non-backwards compatible system. It'd be a brilliant cash grab if they'd actually re-released more than God of War (FFX Sony. I will buy it again if you actually release it).

OT: Yeah, I'd probably have to say God of War collection and God of War 3, Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy 9 (I'd played it before, but since my disks were completely dead I got it off the PS store. Also Cthulhu Saves the World.

machblast

Apr 2, 2010
kayisking said:
machblast said:
kayisking said:

I was joking. I meant to say that there are worse games out there, but believe me, there aren't that many people that hate DA2 more than I do.
Yeah, I get what you mean now.

Of course there are worse games. Everyone seems to be disregarding the 'recent' thing, though. DA2 is probably the most vile of the 'recent' batch of paid-off-review-syndrome games. Not as bad as Duke Nukem Forever, to be sure, but everyone knew DNF was dead on arrival thanks to Gearbox.

witheringsanity

Aug 25, 2009
i've played quite a few games this year, but the best -by FAR- is Final Fantasy Tactics on the ol PSX. it's gotta be in my top ten most favorite games ever.

alfawx

Nov 1, 2010
I'd call it a tie between Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2, and Portal 2. I seem to be riding on sequels, though.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
I'll only roll with games I've played this year for the first time, which would be Vanquish and New Vegas.