Best Sequel to a Terrible game

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
Devi May Cry 3 is definitely going to pop up a lot. I'm of the same opinion of how awesome it is.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Assassins Creed.

First was a good concept and great controls and mechanics, but terrible (i.e: no) pacing and repetitive as hell.

AC2 was amazing and the perfect kind of sequel.
AB Brotherhood expanded on 2 as well, which I was surprised with - was expecting it to be a cash-grab.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
Xenogears eh. Xenosaga, yes please. After of course your third re-start when you FINALLY ACTUALLY FOR REAL THIS TIME understood combat and how to level your character correctly. hehe.

flagship

Feb 5, 2011
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II for the NES, 1 was a terrible, difficult game and 2 was a port of the well done arcade game.

Super Mario Brothers 3, since 2 was pretty bad.

Final Fantasy 9 which made up for FF8 that many people hate with a passion.

Suikoden 5 because 4 was a total disappointment.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Woodsey said:
icame said:
Woodsey said:
"Most of the time sequels only serve to ruin the original. A couple of times they are as good and very few they are even better."

I find most sequels in gaming are better than the originals. Films are where you need to be wary.

OT: Assassin's Creed 2 was miles better than 1. 1 certainly wasn't terrible, but it did have some gaping flaws, and the second game was such a transformation it was unreal.

icame said:
Mass effect 2 (Oh shit!)
Believe it or not, most people do actually consider it the better game.
I know. It wasn't my opinion that ME2 is better that made me do the "Oh shit!", Its the fact that I consider the first a terrible game, which is a... unpopular opinion?
Oh right.

Well yeah, I'll join the firing squad for that opinion xD
Knew you would come around :p

Dragonforce525

Sep 13, 2009
Resident Evil 4, I think this is on topic as I hated 1 and 2, but capcom and I have never really mixed, I think the only other capcom game I enjoyed was one of the onimusha games, I forget which one.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Arisato-kun said:
Devi May Cry 3 is definitely going to pop up a lot. I'm of the same opinion of how awesome it is.
Never got the love for that game. It seemed like after the first DMC Capcom just plain forgot how to make a proper difficulty curve.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Worgen said:
devil may cry 3, the 2nd game sucked hard but 3 was good
First one was pretty cool though so it's more a case of DMC 2 being the black sheep of the series. I didn't think it was awful though, just nowhere near as good as the other three. And what the hell were they thinking making you fight tanks and helicoptres in a Devil May Cry game...

I'd say Half Life 2, Morrowind and Tomb Raider Legend

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
icame said:
Mass effect 2 (Oh shit!)
Mass Effect 1 feels like a chore to play. Although I feel like ME2 took out most of what made it an RPG, at least it was fun to play.

ssjsuperman

Feb 16, 2010
1.Just Cause 2
2.assassin's creed 2(not a bad game but improved very much in the sequel)
2.street fighter 2(same as 2)

Falko

Jun 5, 2010
I've gotta go with Sly 2. Sly 1 wasn't absolutely awful, but it just had some major annoyances (1 hit deaths, a kinda boring and predictable story, Murray and Bentley majorly underused etc) Sly 2 came along and fixed everything, and still remains one of my favourite platformers on PS2. There's a health bar, so the frustration from the 1 hit kill system of the original was gone, the story had some twists and shocks, Murray and Bentley played bigger roles...
Sly 3 is arguebly the best in the series but it wasn't the huge leap from meh to awesome Sly 2 was

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
AgentNein said:
Arisato-kun said:
Never got the love for that game. It seemed like after the first DMC Capcom just plain forgot how to make a proper difficulty curve.
That's part of the love man. I love a good challenge.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Modern Warfare 2. Alot of better improvements and Soap actually talked!! *fist pumps*

Also, System Shock 2. WAYYYY better sequel. SHODAN being replaced as the villain made it amazing,

lazzars

Aug 13, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Say what you will about Killzone 2, it was miles better than the first game, which was severely overhyped. Not to say the second one wasn't, but it was way better.
you are so seriously wrong. Killzone had a better story, better environments and waaaay more atmosphere.

killzone - from ruined city to swamp to beach assault to moutains to space.
killzone 2 - grey ruined city to brown ruined city to black ruined city to grey space ship

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Klonoa 2: Luneatea's Veil to Door to Phantomile.

Now, DtP was amazing, but GOOD GOD the ending was shit. For what it was one of the most heartbreaking endings in video game history. And it felt pointless.

At least 2 didn't have a totally depressing ending. Still touching, but it wasn't such a player punch.

[HEADING=1]AND WOULD IT KILL NAMCO TO MAKE A KLONOA 3? SERIOUSLY![/HEADING]

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Portal 2

In all seriousness, I'm not really sure. There were some that went from sort of disappointing to great, though, like Assassin's Creed. Another worthy mention is Halo 2's campaign when compared to Halo 3's. The 2nd game's campaign was pretty crap when compared to the others.