Best time if your life.....is in highschool?

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
I was told this and agreed that it was bull at the time.

I look back now (I'm 33) and realise that they were right. So much so, that like my parents and teachers alike, I tell my nieces and nephews the same thing and one day will tell my kids it too.

You youngsters out there, please do try to enjoy these years.... it only gets shitter, I promise you.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok once I had stop laughing at the title all I have to say is no! For the proper best time of your life is University (or college for those who lived inthe US). It was my I.T. teacher who said that to us during class during the last few week in High School.
Seeing it now I couldn't agree with him more. You lived on your own without being bother with your family and in a different place (depend which town/city Uni you went for). The most important is you finally gain your own independent.

siahsargus

Jul 28, 2010
Victoras1984 said:
College was nice. My current life, while having ups and downs, it's nice.

High School was AWESOME! I had a great circle of friends and we had the time of our lives (parties, love, intrigue, drama ... fun :D). I've also had a couple of great teachers that taught me the basics of math/programming and then pointed me in the right direction (to learn by myself).

So, bottom line, no responsibilities, immense personal growth, "discovering" the ... "interesting" ... stuff that you can do with the other gender, the best time of my life.

Also, this Bowling for Soup song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrxI_euTX4A

P.S.: Being a computer nerd doesn't always translate into high school misery and "outcastness", at least not in my home town. :)
Being gay/asexual and doing none of this "interesting stuff" sucks. Also being so smart that you always act much dumber just so you know other people can understand you takes its toll. I have had good teaches and a few good friends, but it seems like high school is just a few popular people who never had to develop any social understanding, hicks who wouldn't care if they drop out, stoners, and a blurred mess of the more "urban" categories. Small town schools suck for that reason, although larger schools have proportionality more psychopaths.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Wasn't informed of when the best time of my life would be, though I'm guessing it'll be in the late 20ies what with my career taking off and settling down where I've wanted to live all my life going on.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
College seems to be better, at least in the UK. Although when I said to my father the other day "Supposedly this age should be the best of my life..." he replied "Bulls**t..20-30 is best."

Make of that what you will.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Batfred said:

I look back now (I'm 33) and realise that they were right. So much so, that like my parents and teachers alike, I tell my nieces and nephews the same thing and one day will tell my kids it too.

You youngsters out there, please do try to enjoy these years.... it only gets shitter, I promise you.
I refuse to belive that, why should I?

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Yea, but more spacifically people said senior year would be the best. High school was great, no worries, no taxes, optional jobs. However, the best year is the junior year. You have enough seniority to do what you want and don't have to rush to make sure you get thoes classes you need to graduate.

Sorry for the spelling errors. It's 0400 and I can't be bothered.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Vault101 said:
Batfred said:

Cus it's the truth?

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Vault101 said:
Batfred said:

No skin off my nose if you don't. Think though, why does virtually every single adult tell you this? There has to be a reason.... maybe we all found out the hard way and regret not enjoying those years as much as we could have? Nah, couldn't be... could it?

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
Yea I've heard that a lot. If this is the best time of my life then I have very little to look forward to in life. High school has been miserable.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
HighSchool/Secondary school was terrible i got bullied so much i hated it, University/College is awesome probably the best part of my life so far.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Highschool is responsible for the worst years of my life. Didn't enjoy a single day of my life during highschool.

Victoras1984

Nov 10, 2009
siahsargus said:
Being gay/asexual and doing none of this "interesting stuff" sucks. Also being so smart that you always act much dumber just so you know other people can understand you takes its toll. I have had good teaches and a few good friends, but it seems like high school is just a few popular people who never had to develop any social understanding, hicks who wouldn't care if they drop out, stoners, and a blurred mess of the more "urban" categories. Small town schools suck for that reason, although larger schools have proportionality more psychopaths.
I see your point and I assume I'd feel the same in your position. Taking the adolescent sexual exploration out of the mix, does indeed decrease the appeal of those years.

We've also had those (popular kids, wealthy spoiled kids, bullies, even muggers), but we just did our best to ignored them. We were a group of 8-9 people, with above average grades, who hanged together and ... the world be damned.

Tirunus said:
Most people are bitter because they where the " Highly intelligent under achiever who was surrounded by morons" so expect the escapist to have such a slant it is vertical.
I've noticed that, but I'm still amazed that there is this great an amount of misery for intelligent people.

Have I been very lucky to find a group of like minded people in high-school? Am I the exception, rather than the rule? Or is it a cultural difference (I live in Romania, so Eastern Europe vs. "the west")?

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
Levitas1234 said:
All i do in school is get high and chill with friends, it's been pretty good.

Edit: lol just noticed, 1337 posts
Dont reply to this, just stay 1337 for a while. Just thought I would tell you that your profile is probably the most 1337357 looking profile on here, Gordon Freeman chilling with 1337, epic.

OT: Aye, I didnt really enjoy high school myself. Hanging with friends was cool but the lessons were shite.