Bethesda Has "No Timeline" for Dawnguard on PC and PS3

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Andrewtheeviscerator said:
Funny. Valve says their going to release 3 episodic games following half life 2, and 4 years later and still waiting on episode 3="aw don't worry about it Valve, we know your just doing the best you can and totally not wasting everyone's time or anything"

Bethesda says they don't have a release date set for their first expansion for PC or PS3="Bethesda's the worst company in the world, they don't care about their customers, they just want to screw us over because they find it funny or something!"
lil bit different. We were told that it would begin as a 30 day timed exclusive on the Xbox, before coming to other platforms. To me, pretty much everyone else, and given previous cases with timed exclusive dlc, it would be logical to assume that after those 30 days, it would be released on the PS3 and PC, as such it is now 30 days later, and Bethesda act as if we're insane for expecting some news on the DLC. I'd say being disgruntled at this is quite justified.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I'd say they are probably working on fixing all the insane amount of glitches the Xbox version highlighted before bringing it out everywhere else.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
well, f- you as well! im gonna get me some FREE mods that have better customer support!
xD

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Personally, I'm not worried. I'm almost certain that Bethesda will release Dawnguard on the PC at some point, and in the meantime there is no shortage of games on my "To Play" list. Also, they really might get to fix some bugs in the process.

I do have to wonder what Bethesda is thinking though. I can't imagine any amount of $ or favors from Microsoft to be worth the bad publicity and backlash that Bethesda is getting from an otherwise very loyal fanbase.
And deserved, because there is no changing the fact that on an elementary level, pulling a "they can have what you can't have" is a dick move that will tickle unpleasant childhood memories with almost anybody.

Really, I have no idea why they would go about ruining the relatively good reputation they have with their fans. Rep can mean the difference between a customer and a pirate.

Prosis

May 5, 2011
I'm a bit confused by this. It seems like Bethesda's cutting themselves off from quite a bit of profit.

That being said, I don't particularly mind. Monster transformation seems silly to me, and crossbows are pointless for my character. A bit more story would be nice, but Dawnguard doesn't really have anything to interest me.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Well it looks like I'm not buying dishonered now.

It looked like shit but was still intrigued but now it looks like I have no reason to get it now.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Well it looks like they're going to give us an update about what exactly they're doing with the PC version of Dawnguard at least.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/30/dawnguard-pc-info-coming-later-this-week/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

They're saying to expect an announcement "later this week", I don't understand why they didn't just say they need more time to work on it, and save themselves some BioWare-esque PR.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
The problem I have with this - well, other than timed-exclusive DLC in general, which I feel is just petty at this point, the console wars we don't need again, get over it - is that they shouldn't have given the go-ahead to the 30 day head-start release on the Xbox until they had the plans for the PS3 and PC releases in hand and ready to roll once the timer of contractual obligation to Microsoft had passed. Really. If it isn't ready to go across the board, then just don't even tell us about it or release it anywhere. This is just trying to stir up conflict between different console users and restart a conflict we had in this industry already that can be done already because we were all sick of it after the second set of Nintendo machines.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I don't get this. PC is the most stable version (only thanks to extra RAM available) and with all the options of mods, why are publishers doing this BS of splitting up content? Elder Scrolls started on PC, they sued Mojang for how a PC exclusive was too similar with a single word to Elder Scrolls, now they are "herp, no planned releases". Do they not want money? They have already ported the engine, they just have to to the couple dozen man hours work packaging the exact same content and get easy money now and forever.

Related:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, I'm a little put out about it, since a couple of my YouTube subscribers have asked me to do a Let's Play of Dawnguard and I was actually rather interested in it. But at the end of the day, there's already enough Mods out for me to have plenty of fun otherwise, and there's more coming down the pipe almost every day.

I do feel bad for PS3 gamers, though. Hey, Bethesda, don't listen to what Microsoft is no doubt telling you. Denying patches and DLC for PS3 owners isn't going to get them to buy an XBox- it's going to get them to stop buying your software.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
Well, I'm a little put out about it, since a couple of my YouTube subscribers have asked me to do a Let's Play of Dawnguard and I was actually rather interested in it.
A video let's play of an RPG? You'd better be an editing god to make that one work mate.

I personally think that they've sneakily extended the exclusivity period rather than them working on fixing all the bugs before they release it on other platforms but got to admire the optimism people have here. Hope to be proven wrong.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I remember having to deal with this when I had got New Vegas for the PS3. I could wait, but it always annoys me when a gaming company takes the money of another company to deny DLC for others. I really feel bad for other PS3 users because they've had to deal with this with basically every game made by Bethesda. For Oblivion the expansions like Wizard's Tower and Mehrunes Razor don't exist; Fallout 3 DLC took ages to come out for with what I understood (got the GoTY edition); New Vegas DLC was released so late and so buggy taking forever to be fixed, and not everything has been fixed (got it on the PC recently, loving it); now they have to deal with Skyrim's DLC fiasco. Again I really feel bad because it seems that Bethesda hates the PS3 or something. PC owners luckily can mod their games so it's not too bad.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Pearwood said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Well, I'm a little put out about it, since a couple of my YouTube subscribers have asked me to do a Let's Play of Dawnguard and I was actually rather interested in it.
A video let's play of an RPG? You'd better be an editing god to make that one work mate.

I personally think that they've sneakily extended the exclusivity period rather than them working on fixing all the bugs before they release it on other platforms but got to admire the optimism people have here. Hope to be proven wrong.
Not that hard to do an LP of an RPG, you could just show you going through the missions and cut out long trips as long as the people know the location of where you need to go. There is also speeding up the footage.

ianeddy44

Aug 17, 2009
Don't take Microsoft's bribes anymore, Bethesda! You're really just better off not submitting to the "timed exclusive" bullshit. Satisfy everybody with great content rather than satisfying 360 owners and pissing the rest of your fans off. Let's just all be happy. You also have enough money.

glades20

Jun 12, 2012
Perhaps Bethesda is kinda peeved that their game is so heavily pirated on the pc, and are debating continued support. Just a thought, and I hope I'm wrong about it.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I got tired waiting for it about a month ago when I was on my Skyrim kick, but I'm over it. I'm not going to buy it, simple as that.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Neronium said:
Not that hard to do an LP of an RPG, you could just show you going through the missions and cut out long trips as long as the people know the location of where you need to go. There is also speeding up the footage.
Bit dry though, there's only what, 3-5 different enemy types within a dungeon?