Bethesda Makes Stealing and Fighting a Little Easier for Skyrim

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Okay, seriously. Why are people so angry about losing Hand to Hand as a skill? Who actually tried to use Hand to Hand?

All this crying over Hand to Hand just reminds me of this:

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=010311

Sorry, but it just didn't make sense for someone to be able to block a battleaxe with their forearms.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
I was really hoping to make a character that could switch from ranged to hand-to-hand combat, but I'll surviving this one relatively minor blow in light of how polished, refined and masterfully crafted this game is sounding.

I echo however the concerns by others that guards that are pushovers, that don't put any threat in the players mind, are useless. The combat system looks to be significantly better developed though so it may balance out that, though they're not as hard to kill, the thick armour (?) and skill is still a factor when facing them, especially in any numbers. Additionally the difference between town guards, city guards, "royal" or unique guards should be pronounced.

I also had no problem with being an outlaw of the entirity of Cyrodiil if my crimes were especially prolific and heinous, but I didn't like I couldn't simply disguise myself, that the guards were, as mentioned before psychic. Pointedly in the sense that if I killed a whole bunch of people in plain sight with a single spell, then fled straight to my black horse that I buffed with increased speed, and went straight to Bruma, they somehow already knew. I'd appreciate eventually they might get told, but no one could have beaten me there unless they had clacks towers or something. ~stares suspiciously at white gold tower~

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
I need to invent a cryotube to freeze myself until November the 11th. A favor to ask, does anyone have a link with the article in it.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Erm, I doubt Skyrim will rival Daggerfall for "ways to play" even with the tweaks. MORROWIND didn't rival Daggerfall for "ways to play". For you young'ns: Morrowind was NOT the first Elder Scrolls game. First was Arena. Then Daggerfall. Then Battlespire and Redguard.

Granted Daggerfall was in many ways a seriously annoying overencumbered procedural piece of crap, but still.

eNTi

Sep 8, 2007
JMeganSnow said:
Erm, I doubt Skyrim will rival Daggerfall for "ways to play" even with the tweaks. MORROWIND didn't rival Daggerfall for "ways to play". For you young'ns: Morrowind was NOT the first Elder Scrolls game. First was Arena. Then Daggerfall. Then Battlespire and Redguard.

Granted Daggerfall was in many ways a seriously annoying overencumbered procedural piece of crap, but still.
daggerfall must have been the worst buggy piece of crap ever to be released 5 years late... maybe after daikatana. the demo was spot on and i fell in love... sadly the real game was just such an unbearable mess.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
As long as I can take a sexy female assassin through a city, killing marks while avoiding the guards, I'll be happy.

In Oblivion, if you didn't one shit kill a character, even when they're alone in their house, every guard in the universe suddenly had a bounty out on me.

[HEADING=1]STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM![/HEADING]
Damn, that is one deadly assassin.

As for the fixes, I never really had many problems with the guards myself. I seemed to get away with stealing whatever I wanted when I wanted without drawing much attention. It got a bit trickier when I was killing people but wasn't too terrible of a problem.

The one fix I'm really happy about is the voice actors. I started to feel like Oblivion was just some insane cloning experiment gone horribly wrong.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I may have built a character around hand to hand once... mainly because vampirism gives massive bonuses to hand to hand, and I wanted to take advantage of that. Honestly though, I'd happily trade hand to hand for separate skill for 'Axes'. It never failed to jar with me that 'Blunt weapons' included axes, made worse only by the stupid justifications some people tried to make for it, like that both of them involve the same kind of motions.

Earaldor Xerron

Jan 7, 2011
All great news except the weaker guards.
I mean, okay, a backwater village probably has a somewhat underequipped "police" body with members who possibly got posted there because they are useless slobs. But, bigger cities, especially more prominent districts of those should have elite guards with superb equipment who will (in large numbers) kick your ass even after you become the demigod around midgame.
Point is: the guards'es stats, equipment and other attributes should be different depending on what they guard and where they guard it.
That probably shouldn't be too much work (relatively) but would be an extra bit of depth.

BlackEagle95

Apr 3, 2011
I killed a guy in Burma. At night. Alone. Get swarmed. Run fast. End up back in Chyedenhal(spelled wrong). Try to enter the Brotherhood sanctuary(wasn't a quest. Just me effin around), and end up fighting two guards and a bandit while scrambling over rocks in the forest.

Made it back in, but now I get mobbed every time I go outside. It's just unfair. :(

Moral of the Story: I don't mind tough guards. It makes sense. I just want word to travel a bit slower. I also DESPERATELY want a way to enter cities without using gates. That would be nice. Just slip in and out unnoticed.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Earaldor Xerron said:
All great news except the weaker guards.
I mean, okay, a backwater village probably has a somewhat underequipped "police" body with members who possibly got posted there because they are useless slobs. But, bigger cities, especially more prominent districts of those should have elite guards with superb equipment who will (in large numbers) kick your ass even after you become the demigod around midgame.
Point is: the guards'es stats, equipment and other attributes should be different depending on what they guard and where they guard it.
That probably shouldn't be too much work (relatively) but would be an extra bit of depth.
If the regular guards are complete badass, what the fuck do they need the Dovahkiin for?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
voorhees123 said:
I prefer the guards to be tough, otherwise where is the danger in getting caught? Wheres the risk if you beat them as a level 1 character? Nah. I say if you rob and kill in a house then know one knows it was you. Unless a guard catches you or the person escapes out of the house. Then thats fine. I want the guards to be tough until you are at mid level atleast and can fight them. Otherwise there is no point even having guards there in the first place.
They said nothing about guards being easy to kill at level one. Remember, level scaling is no longer in the game.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Lt. Vinciti said:
rickthetrick said:
Lt. Vinciti said:
Guards were an issue?

I always thought of them as cannonfodder or ALL SEEING EYE OF THE TOWN

You know....I hope what we are seeing here in Skyrim will unfold well into Fallout 4 ;)
Fallout 4 will be the most beautiful stretch of brown and gray ever!!

OT: I hope being a thief won't equate to crouching all the damn time. That shit's getting old.

but think about it....They've shown a badass video where you slit someones throat....I would love to do that to NCR/Legion now...the HIT THEM IN THE ASS way of doing it seems cheap (unless they explode or lose some limbs on the way down)
True enough. I'm hoping Fallout 4 will allow people to make a playable ghoul or super mutant.
And lets see the commonwealth come in as the big baddies, that shit would be tight.

Jul 9, 2008
Bek359 said:
ZombieGenesis said:
Bek359 said:
ZombieGenesis said:
So they take out Mysticism, and now Hand to Hand?
I can't say I like the idea of subtracting perfectly servicable features, especially when they were included to fit a requirement of the game in the first place.
I know Bethesda claims they weren't "necessary" but none of the skills/trees actually are, if they actually believed that logic they would cut all the skills down to three.
1. Combat
2. Magic
3. Stealth

I'm just relieved they didn't go TOO nuts with the shears.
Well, Mysticism was more of a "miscellaneous" category anyway, and all the spells formerly encompassed under that category will simply be relocated to the other schools of magic. And be honest, was Hand to Hand really all that useful as its own skill in the Elder Scrolls series?
About as useful as Blunt or Blade were on their own, yes.
The only differential between them is that Hand to Hand didn't require a weapon, but you also made a major dent in the enemies fatigue.

I follow the ideal that a sequel should have more content, not trim off bits they can afford to lose out on.
Content is not the same as clutter. Hand-to-Hand was also very bad for blocking, you had minimum attack range, couldn't have magic effects, couldn't have poison effects, etc. You want fatigue damage? Enchant a weapon with Damage Fatigue. You're still going to be able to use your fists in Skyrim, it's just going to do a set amount of damage, probably based on your level and the level of your other strength-based skills.
Something tells me that there will be a perk tree within one of the other skills for Unarmed.

For those who don't know, the Perk System is, depending on how many points you get in a given skill, you can distribute points to that skill's perks. For example, Single Handed Weaponry will have a perk tree for swords and one for axes. For examples of what's in a skill tree (I believe this one was in Game Informer), one perk for Archery lets you zoom, and a later one in that tree slows down time while zoomed.

Speaking of Archery, that's my preferred play style, and it sounds like that will be good too, from the little they've said.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Those guild names are all fine and dandy, but what about the Dark Brotherhood? Becoming a vampire or warewolf, or even a hybrid(which would be AWESOME)? I also wonder if there will be a fire breath spell, that actually comes out of your mouth? As for the hand to hand skill, no loss there, I basically punched that unconsious guy in the evil lair dlc until it was at 100 lol.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
Andronicus said:
cursedseishi said:
Andronicus said:
You're puny gameplay reports mean nothing to me. I shall be buying this game launch day regardless of any improvements/bugs/price increases/delays/family issues/apocalypses.
What if there is a bug in Skrym, that reverts the game to Oblivion-style graphics, gameplay, and guards... and a patch to fix it will have to wait til Elder Scrolls 6 is released?
I'd sooner shell out $200 for Skyrim with crappy graphics and gameplay than I would pay for Modern Warfare 3 found in a bargain bin.
Whoo for smart choices!

I am absolutely loving every detail I hear about Skyrim. I don't care what anyone says, thsi game will be made of awesome.

And brutal guard murders.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
I was hoping to hear about some sort of fantasy version of a VATS like targeting system for ranged attacks.

FATS: Fairy Assisted Targeting System
Genius
Give this man a grant.
;)

But seriously, can't wait, it's driving my craaaazy >_<

Bang25

Dec 6, 2010
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Sounds good, just have to hope they tweak lockpicking. I simply couldn't get anywhere with that beyond the Easy locks and had to collect hundreds of picks or the Skeleton Key in order to Auto-Attempt over and over again.
Really? That's tough. After trying the game for something like two weeks, I learned to manually lockpick all locks in about one to three tries. I was proud of myself. The mini game was really fun (I thought) and I would like to see something similair in Skyrim.