Bethesda Reveals The Evil Within

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Anyone noticed it's called 'Psychobreak' in Japan.

Drink Psychobreak! Made from the juices of real people! It'll quench ya!
Made me think of this

Also, that does sound like a better name then the one they are using.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I found these links to more information on the game. I think they are legit. Hope people don't mind me posting them. :

More details http://gematsu.com/2013/04/the-evil-within-story-key-features-detailed

Screenshots: (scroll down) http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/04/the-evil-within-debut-trailer-mikamis.html

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
R.Nevermore said:
This doesn't look like the kind of horror that the games industry needs. Less dead space, more amnesia
But it's absolutely necessary that before we know anything else about this horror game that we have a complete and accurate knowledge of everything that's in it and know exactly what monsters we are going to face. Horror isn't about building suspense against the unknown, facing the unexpected, or entering the unexplored;
It's about explaining clearly and openly what ugly thing is going to appear, and then having that ugly thing happen all over you in it's slimy bloody tentaclyness all in high definition static shots that you can get a reeeeaally good look at and take it all in, because red gooey stuff is the very definition of horror.

Why have we begun advertising videogames by doing absolutely everything except showing people footage of the actual game?
Now it'll just be really jarring when the actual gameplay footage comes out and the actual CGI characters look totally rubbery and fake next to their live action versions.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
runic knight said:
Anyone noticed it's called 'Psychobreak' in Japan.

Drink Psychobreak! Made from the juices of real people! It'll quench ya!
Made me think of this

Also, that does sound like a better name then the one they are using.
Hahaha that's what I was thinking of when I wrote it xD

It's the quenchiest!

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
viranimus said:
Yeah really dissapointed for the choice to go with a new IP when there is a perfectly good IP to work with that is absolutely dying to be explored. Oh well.
What IP are you talking about? Resident Evil? Because this is Bethesda we're talking about.

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
Aside from the music, it reminded me of this "band" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emrBZZtGFgI

Seriously though, the logo/title shot on the screenshots page reminds me of Cabin in the Woods, and the details about the story start off as, practically, a note by note rehash of the XBOX Call of Cthulhu game. I'll wait a while longer to see how this develops, but that is about the extent of my interest.

I've discovered that sometimes it is better to watch video lets plays of Survival Horror games. That way, you actually have a sense of tension since you can't effect the outcome (other then deciding not to keep watching, and saving yourself sixty dollars), and you don't have to contend with badly designed controls, which are usually the scariest parts anyway.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
ThreeKneeNick said:
The teasers were wonderful, the trailer is an overproduced and overly loud collection of uninspired tropes.
That's what I thought. The way to advertise a game is to show gameplay, none of this was in-engine, which means I have nothing to analyse, nothing to help me decide whether I want this game or not. I suppose it created some hype, and I do want to see what the game looks like, but I didn't really SEE anything here.

AlotFirst

Mar 29, 2011
I found these links to more information on the game. I think they are legit. Hope people don't mind me posting them. :

More details http://gematsu.com/2013/04/the-evil-within-story-key-features-detailed

Screenshots: (scroll down) http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/04/the-evil-within-debut-trailer-mikamis.html
Looks interesting enough. I've never been into horror games all that much, I haven't played any of the Silent Hill or Resident Evil games so I wouldn't really mind if the game were to make use of tropes.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm actually really excited for this game. I kinda wish it was Fallout 4 but hopefully bethesda themselves are working on that.

I'm always up for a haunted house and a good scare.

AlotFirst

Mar 29, 2011
If they are working on Fallout 4, I would expect them to announce it at E3. And I suspect that Bethesda doesn't want to hype up The Evil Within too much, as the hype could backfire if the game doesn't deliver, like many games that Bethesda publishes but doesn't develop.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I just don't see the appeal of horror games. Why on Earth would I WANT to intentionally scare myself?

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I love me some horror games, but this told me nothing about it at all. Color me interested, but I don't think I'm making any judgment or purchase decisions until I see some gameplay or actual non-live-action videos.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Sounds interesting. I'll wait for more info and actual gameplay before deciding if it is stupid or bad or bland or anything like that

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I'm usually not a fan of showing the monsters so openly, but that was pretty goddamn creepy.
Bravo, and I'm now interested in this.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Please don't say "keep your eyes peeled" after a trailer like that. That just increases the amount of bad images in my head.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Live-action trailers are very off-putting to me and I wasn't altogether too thrilled by this. Still, I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic. It's been a while since the last AAA horror game and I trust them to get it right.

Also, the links Moonlight Butterfly posted sound extremely interested. You have my attention :D