Bethesda Sometimes Doesn't Fix Entertaining Bugs

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
"And we wont fix any other bugs either, thats what the modding community is there for"
Bethesda has always been horrible for patches.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
You know what this reminds me of? A game called Transformice. A physics-based multiplayer flash platformer where you play as a mouse getting cheese and then getting to your hole, competing against the dozens of other mice in the same room. It had a ton of bugs, but these bugs were awesome. One bug in particular allowed you to wall-jump and jump in mid-air. If they fixed that bug, there would be insane fan outcry and the game would be way less fun. Sometimes a bug works. Sometimes it makes the game even better. Sometimes the fanbase can embrace a bug.

Edit: Whether they fix all their gamebreaking bugs is a totally different question, people.

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
That's funny because I hate their company for the buggy horse shit they come out with. I couldn't play Oblivion until I installed 3 gigs of patches and mods made by the community and I flatly stopped playing New Vegas because there were so many. Granted, New Vegas was done by Obsidian but they still allowed a company to publish an unfinished, untested game that was basically just a mod of their previous game.

Stall said:
What a pathetic fucking developer: they're one of the single most overrated, under-talented, hack developers on the market. If there is a single developer that deserves NONE of the fame and renown they have, it would be Bethesda.
Seconded

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
I appreciate a developer with a good sense of humor. Bethesda makes huge games, and bugs are unavoidable. I don't have any serious complaints about their patch record--it's not perfect, but the TES games have always worked well enough for me. My imagination also isn't so weak that I can't enjoy a good surprise laugh now and then. Good for Bethesda!

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
He should have been more specific on the type of bug that might ignore. I know certain innocuous bugs kind of get booted to the bottom of the list and never get resolved before release time but mentioning what the type of bug was and how low key it was might alleviate people's fears and stop the inevitable cries of people attacking Gamebryo.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
When they talk about bugs left in, I assume they're talking about stuff like the paintbrush glitch or item duping, since those can be fun. That or the "elastic man" glitch that occasionally caused the corpses to freak out and deform all over the place, flying around on rapidly swinging bits of flesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNozSWTe5sM

Same thing happened to me with a mountain lion in oblivion. Killed it, and its head started swinging back and forth, getting faster and faster till the entire body was a blur of distorted limbs and twisting character mesh. Then it flew away.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
ChromaticWolfen said:
This seems to okay. I always did use that glitch in Oblivion to duplicate items and that was fun. As long as there are no quest stopping glitches.
i loved that one. i did not like the one that was bad.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
I have no problem with this, sometimes you'll find a bug in a game, like TF2, like the spy crab. When these are removed I wonder why. Bugs like that are silly and have no affect on gameplay, in fact, i wonder why time was even wasted to fix it. Maybe by ignoring bugs like this they can spend that time eliminating much more harmful bugs.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Well, if it's just something like the way TF2's physics occasionally send you catapulting 50 feet in the air when you die, then I'm fine with it. The game will be fun, and I'm pretty numb to bugs so long as they don't corrupt my save file.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I'm really afraid that it's going to break the immersion. Just fix the damn stuff. Just because Bethesda thinks something is funny does not mean everyone will.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Fallout 3 story

I thought the blue dungeon was a bug. Turned out it wasn't. Maybe it can be that sort of thing. Something that started as a bug is actualy worked into as part of the game.

Breaking immersion is very bad.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
wow, lots of unreasonable people in here. They aren't leaving bugs in the game to troll you. Some people play games with the goal of looking for bugs, and some people get to the point where they will play the game with the intent of breaking the game using bugs and glitches. Debugging a system is a process which will never be completed. You fix 1 bug, 2 more pop up. NO game will ever be bug free, so if the bug is not dangerous to the game, then they leave it alone. If they fix it, it could lead to worse bugs. If there is a game breaking bug in which opening a door to get into a certain house drops you into a black void but gets fixed but then it opens up another bug which duplicates a certain item in your inventory if it is in the right spot then that is a job well done. If it is funny like a dead body floats into the air occasionally and spins a lot like it is possessed, then it isn't worth fixing. If it turns out the final boss cannot be damaged because the coding on the infinity+1 sword got corrupted and fully heals the boss instead then it needs to get fixed.

Jacob Haggarty

Sep 1, 2010
Good on them, i quite like that idea. So long as it's just occasionally npcs MIGHT do a little dance, or pull a funny face. If they randomly clip through me or fall into the ground, i won't be too pleased.

The only problem i can think of is that their idea of entertaining might not be the same as some of their fans.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
This really isn't anything new. Companies leave bugs in all the time on purpose. Sometimes because they are just amusing little things, sometimes it is because in fixing one bug they caused countless more and they stuck with the lesser of two evils.

MahouSniper

May 21, 2009
This makes me think of Team Fortress 2, which had some very entertaining bugs. A good example would be the Crazy Legs glitch with the Scout. If you double-jumped while crouching as the scout, your legs would just randomly flail all over the place. Or the Spy-Crab bug. Valve takes kinda the same approach. They didn't fix the Spy-Crab bug, instead they added a new taunt that referenced it.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
I hope to hell this isn't an excuse for how bloody buggy Oblivion was... Or for how buggy Skyrim will be?

Apocalypse0Child

May 21, 2009
The bow&arrow duplication glitch in Oblivion, along with being able to run through certain walls if you knew what to do and where (which I've long since forgotten how to do sadly) made Oblivion for me.

And the same can be said for the scrap metal duplication glitch in Fallout 3.

I don't so much think of them as bugs, as hidden cheat codes embedded in the programming.

I hope to find some in Skyrim, so I can have even more fun before I start modding the ass off it. xD