Bethesda Sometimes Doesn't Fix Entertaining Bugs

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
008Zulu said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
But the "sheep" made New Vegas sell like hotcakes, begging the question of why they should change. It would appear we are in a very, VERY tiny minority.
The sheep will be the ones bitching and moaning on Bethesda's forums about them not fixing the bugs. It's almost like the enjoy being tormented (both the sheep and Bethesda).
Bethesda likely won't care at all.

The mewling masses have already spent their money, with no regard for QA, so it's pretty hard for me to imagine Bethesda is suddenly going to go " oh dear, maybe we should make serious changes."

And really, they're kind of validated in not caring. Skyrim could come to life, kill the families of the consumer, then light their place on fire and it would still get hailed as the greatest RPG EVAR because it's ZOMG SKYRIM.

And, of course, many of those people would still post on Bethesda's forums complaining about the murders and arson, even as they played the game.

iLeikHip

Aug 30, 2011
Some mods in Oblivion are pretty amusing, such as bug where if someone walks in someone else's way and is attacking, they start fighting to the death.
Now that's fun.
But I dislike very much freezing or crashing bugs D:

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Bethesda likely won't care at all.

The mewling masses have already spent their money, with no regard for QA, so it's pretty hard for me to imagine Bethesda is suddenly going to go " oh dear, maybe we should make serious changes."

And really, they're kind of validated in not caring. Skyrim could come to life, kill the families of the consumer, then light their place on fire and it would still get hailed as the greatest RPG EVAR because it's ZOMG SKYRIM.

And, of course, many of those people would still post on Bethesda's forums complaining about the murders and arson, even as they played the game.
Its kinda tragic that people prefer shiny new graphics to being able to actually play the game.

Verdilian

Jan 8, 2011
Spectrum_Prez said:
Considering what the Gamebryo engine actually does, I'm amazed Bethesda games have so few bugs. Things like random NPCs appearing in weird places, strange interactions, misplaced landscapes, scripting conflicts that screw up quests... those type of things can't possibly be totally accounted for when you have the number of variables that exist in a sandbox game.

Don't compare it with a linear shooter, or any other kind of game. There's a limit to what you can "do" in those games, so they're easy to bugtest. The number of variables you can screw around with is much smaller. Bethesda games are ambitious, and as such the risk of random things conflicting with each other is obviously going to be higher.

I think what Howard is talking about is that they prioritize their bugs. That's what all developers do. All the bugs that the community moans about are probably the ones they try to catch. Just think of all the bugs they already dealt with.

Excuse me while I alt+tab back to FNV... having it crash every 5-6 exterior loads... but still loving it.
Indeed. This is probably why there aren't that many open-world Sandboxes on the market. Moreover, like you said, Bethesda aims to lead in this genre - hence, why they encounter the most bugs and glitches. At least Bethesda fixes most of the gamebreaking and prevalent ones. Even then, each system has its own perks and quirks, so not every one can be squashed. I agree with your last point, let's go back and enjoy the games from Bethesda that we love :) Even though they have some serious bugs, it could have been much worse.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Dukenstein said:
The only good bug is a dead bug!
Damn right!

Well, just as long as they don't find quest-breaking bugs or random crashes to be entertaining, I guess it's as much as I can expect from Bethseda.

Ironwampa

Dec 7, 2009
Well I did get a kick out of finding a floating rock in the middle of the wilderness in Oblivion. Getting a really high speed and acrobatics scores and then jumping out of city walls was also amusing.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Looks like they're covering their bases here. "oh what's that? Don't find the bug where the screen switches irreversibally to blackness? Well everyone has a dfiffrernt sense of humor"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
008Zulu said:
Its kinda tragic that people prefer shiny new graphics to being able to actually play the game.
Well, you consider there was New Vegas, which wasn't all that shinier or new at the time compared to its predecessor.

Then it gets worse. they're not even really trading playability for eye candy anymore.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Spudgun Man said:
Looks like they're covering their bases here. "oh what's that? Don't find the bug where the screen switches irreversibally to blackness? Well everyone has a dfiffrernt sense of humor"
"Oh, your save was deleted? Well, LOL!"

Then they become the first publicly acknowledged troll gaming studio.

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
Drexlor said:
In Fallout 3 I once saw a sentry bot commit suicide by sticking it's gatling laser into its face. And then there was that one time when the deathclaw fell from the sky into a tree. Good times... Good times.
Please god tell me there's a video on YouTube of the Sentry Bot.... *runs to look*

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
008Zulu said:
I'd be happy if they fixed the goddamn random crashing to the desktop bug that appears to have been present since Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and presumably Fallout New Vegas. Never played it, the reported issues solved that dilemma for me.
That only ever happened to me with Morrowind.

And they didn't do New Vegas.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
008Zulu said:
I'd be happy if they fixed the goddamn random crashing to the desktop bug that appears to have been present since Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and presumably Fallout New Vegas. Never played it, the reported issues solved that dilemma for me.
Complaining about a problem you've never had.... priceless.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
fundayz said:
Complaining about a problem you've never had.... priceless.
Yeah, Google Morrowind CTD or Oblivion CTD or Fallout 3 CTD. Then say no one has had the problem.

Do your research.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Well, you consider there was New Vegas, which wasn't all that shinier or new at the time compared to its predecessor.

Then it gets worse. they're not even really trading playability for eye candy anymore.
There is only so much a modified Gamebryo engine can do, but they manage to squeeze out a few more shades of brown each time.

Its funny that, you have games like Fallout 3 and NV, largely brown and dirty, almost a single colour game. Now we have Skyrim which is all white. Seems like they traded one colour for another.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
008Zulu said:
zehydra said:
That only ever happened to me with Morrowind.

And they didn't do New Vegas.
NV uses a tweaked version of the same engine used to power Morrowind.
and Oblivion, and Fallout 3. They didn't develop the engine, they only tweaked it. Considering Fallout 3 and Oblivion both do not crash nearly as much for me as Morrowind did, I'm going to guess that they also made technical modifications to the engine, as well as gameplay mechanics.

There also plenty of ways to introduce bugs with the overall integrity of the engine out of the picture.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
It sounds kind of like an excuse, but at the same time some bugs in Bethesda games can be funny. But I'd hardly call the bugs that stop you being able to finish quests in Oblivion entertaining. In the same day my Thief character couldn't rest or fast-travel because it always said guards were coming even though he had no bounty, my Mage character couldn't finish a Mages' Guild quest or the Orrery quest because I had the two quests active at the same time, AND I couldn't upgrade Frostcrag Spire because the Mystic Emporium was permanently locked.
*grumbles*

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
This sounds good, I remember Saints Row 2's gliches and they caused a whole load of fun for me and im sure alot of people.

So if its fun, why not have it.