BioShock, Fallout Designers Say Console Gamers "Lack Patience"

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I kind of agree. The part where they said console gamers are impatient kind of insulted me, but as long as they keep a deep experience on the console games, I don't mind.

They better be damn careful to not make the games easier though. If they do, I swear to God I will rage.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
This is a bit ironic. When it came to Dragon Age on the console, a lot of my fellow PC gamers complained about having to learn a complicated, unintuitive interface just to play the game on a gamepad. So does that mean console gamers are more patient and capable for being able to adapt to an unforgiving interface?

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
tautologico said:
Some people may seem this as the console experience being "dumbed down", but if the games are made more accessible, indeed it's better for everyone. The ideal for a deep game is that it should be easy to get into, but hard to conquer all its complexities. "Easy to learn, difficult to master", as they say.
Quoted for truth. If you can have a more immersive introduction to game mechanics, like Oblivion or Bioshock, then why not? The age of the instruction manual is over. And a pile of text on the screen is just a digital instruction manual. If your controls aren't intuitive and easy to explain, then go back to the drawing board.

Blade Chunk

Feb 2, 2010
Dexiro said:
I find that kind of insulting :/

I don't want to feel like my games are being dumbed down just because i primarily play on a console, I'd be getting these games for PC if i had the money to buy a decent one.
Hell there's no reason why console games shouldn't have keyboard/mouse support, give me more of that and I'd learn the same bucket-load of hotkeys that a PC gamer would have to.
Why would you think a console game would be dumbed down over a pc? Consoles are just PC hardware in a different plastic shell.
It's not a console VS PC problem it seems more a company is telling the consumer what they want. Not listening to what we want.
If you look at it, the dumbing down seems to be targeted at players not the medium we play the games on. Like we are all twitch factors, I guess in a game the size of Fallout 3 or Oblivion you could have made what? Five or six shooters? Personally I read into this they want to just abandon RPG's and make the safe cash cows FPSs.

But that is my take on this little story.
(the smiling bandit strikes again!)

Nickisimo

Apr 14, 2009
It's probably true, but there are quite a few of us living in the "best of both worlds category" too. I have a gaming rig and a 360(and a DS that I love), so what's wrong with that? I like deep strategy, I also like a good FPS every now and again.

Is Oblivion really that complicated to begin with? "Here's a sword, swing it at things with this button; block with the other."

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I suppose its got a ring of truth to it...but, I think each can have the same patience, it just depends what on individuals...alothough, as a general rule of thimb I could say its true

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Can't we all just get along, PC and consoles? But seriously, I don't know either way. The developers say that console gamers aren't patient enough and have to be 'eased in.' I say this next sentence as least-offensive and least-sarcastic as possible: Maybe they should just drop a core RPG on us and see how we fare.

Apr 28, 2008
HG131 said:
Irridium said:
HG131 said:
So, developers are into trolling too? Hmm, I was hoping that was one of the quirks only had by Bungie Employees.
You obviously haven't been following what Valve does to its fanbase ;)
Bungie openly insults, trolls, and mocks the more idiotic posts on their forums, and the mods (Forum Ninjas) have a group where they post all the stupid "Wahhh!!!! I GOT BANNED!" PMs, WAAAHMBULANCE.

See? [http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/215486/Group/GroupHome.aspx]
Oh trust me I know. I first started my internet life on Bungie.net. Way back in 2004.

But where Bungie is more upfront, Valve is more subtle.

The constant Pyro gender debate prodding, the Mac earbuds, abandoning the consoles.

Both troll equally as hard, just in different styles.

Jun 26, 2009
SamuelT said:
It's true that many of my console friends have this 'Jump in and shoot things' mentlity, but the opposite is also true for many others. I myself can muster any amount of patience when given a wall'o text for anything, really.

Try us, you might get surprised.
ditto...
Even my guns a blazing freinds are obsessd with oblivion and fallout... mainly oblivion.

Jamanticus

Sep 7, 2008
Not So Tuesday said:
PC gamers lack patience too, the difference is that you can switch tabs on a PC.
Hahaha, I agree with you. Always been of that conviction, and seeing the debates that arise around the approach differences between gamers (and people in general) further my belief that we're way too similar to each other to have these arguments (even though they're a lot of fun when the name-calling and flaming is over).

Apr 28, 2008
HG131 said:
Irridium said:
HG131 said:
Irridium said:
HG131 said:
So, developers are into trolling too? Hmm, I was hoping that was one of the quirks only had by Bungie Employees.
You obviously haven't been following what Valve does to its fanbase ;)
Bungie openly insults, trolls, and mocks the more idiotic posts on their forums, and the mods (Forum Ninjas) have a group where they post all the stupid "Wahhh!!!! I GOT BANNED!" PMs, WAAAHMBULANCE.

See? [http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/215486/Group/GroupHome.aspx]
Oh trust me I know. I first started my internet life on Bungie.net. Way back in 2004.

But where Bungie is more upfront, Valve is more subtle.

The constant Pyro gender debate prodding, the Mac earbuds, abandoning the consoles.

Both troll equally as hard, just in different styles.
Hmm, good point. I prefer Bungie's method, but that's just me.
I like Valve's. Mainly because I like subtlety. But sometimes they take the up-front approach, like during E3, when Gabe Newell himself said Portal 2 would be the best on the PS3.

If thats not pure flamebait, I don't know what is.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Dexiro said:
I find that kind of insulting :/

I don't want to feel like my games are being dumbed down just because i primarily play on a console, I'd be getting these games for PC if i had the money to buy a decent one.
Hell there's no reason why console games shouldn't have keyboard/mouse support, give me more of that and I'd learn the same bucket-load of hotkeys that a PC gamer would have to.
I don't know, but why do console games (and even worse, in the PC versions of these games) always point out the buttons constantly? "You've don such and such, ENTER TO CONTINUE", "UP and DOWN to move though the menus". I can work out a menu, thanks. Please stop telling me.

Apr 28, 2008
HG131 said:
Would work best on the PS3 or be the best game on it? If it's the first: WHAT?! Second: Well of course.
Work best on it.

He later clarified that the PS3 one would be the best console version, which leads many to believe the PC version will be the best.

Essentially he's trolling many people on many fronts.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Guys, I think it's very important at this juncture to remember that the console lovers in this thread very much do NOT represent the typical console consumer. I understand why you feel offended, but the vast majority of folks rocking a console aren't as devoted to gaming as you are and aren't as willing to devote the time to learn a game as you are. Think about how many copies of Rock Band and Guitar Hero that sold. Or Madden. Or any number of other hugely popular games. Now how many of those consumers do you think are really like you? Educated and devoted gamers, whatever their platform of choice, are the minority of the greater gaming public.

Gaming used to be a hobby espoused by the erudite and brainy - it had to be, because once upon a time, you had to know a thing or two about computers to indulge in it. That's no longer the case. You can have a satisfying and immense gaming experience just by pushing a few buttons. It's absolutely wonderful that people who don't want to eat, sleep, and breathe games can enjoy what we love so dearly, but it also means that, yes, developers are going to have to lower that learning curve as much as possible to let people in.

I say all of this as a devout console gamer.
True it's just like how many MW2 players are going to have a clue who Vince Zampella and Jason West are or even care they have left Infinity ward 90% of the audience doesn't care

Actually I remember Cevat Yerli from Crytek saying something similar to this about how console gamers are a lot less forgiving whereas PC gamer will give a title a lot longer period before deciding they don't like it

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=18727

"a PC gamer forgives you for about a minute. A console gamer gives you two seconds. It sucks or it fails and you're either the top or a flop. They don't respect any value you put into your development, either it works or it doesn't work."

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
So let me see if I understand the article correctly: rather than having intro missions like in Fallout or Bioshock or GTA where you learn how to shoot/run/drive/whatever, they would rather give you a big fat instruction manual? And that would lead to "deeper" experiences?

I understand the sentiment that most casual gamers are morons (to sum up Susan's points), but how does one lead to a deeper experience over the other?