BioWare: A Dead Shepard Stays Dead

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
It doesn't really perturb me that much. Both of my Shepards from mass effect 1 survived through the suicide mission. I might make a few throwaway characters to see some different play styles and decisions, but I'm pretty sure Shepard can only die if you seriously fuck up.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I didn't even have my Mass Effect 1 savegames when ME2 came out, cause I was on a new computer and it had been 2 years. Heck, I don't even remember half the things I did in ME1, so to me this continuity thing is crap. It's like having a tv-show where you air 1 episode every 2 years, nobody is going to remember what happened last time.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
dochmbi said:
I didn't even have my Mass Effect 1 savegames when ME2 came out, cause I was on a new computer and it had been 2 years.
Luckily, there is a solution [http://www.annakie.com/me/home.htm].

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
dochmbi said:
It's like having a tv-show where you air 1 episode every 2 years, nobody is going to remember what happened last time.
And yet, curiously, I can remember everything that happened in Mass Effect 1 without any difficulty. Let's avoid generalizations because it's obvious this "continuation" format is working out extremely well for Bioware.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
This makes all the more proud that I and my entire team survived the mission. I wonder what will happen since I shacked up with another woman. Hell I was dead for 2 years I would have thought that Liara would have moved on. OH! maybe when I have to do that confrontation I'll be able to convince them that there is enough shepard to go around. THREESOME!

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
It's actually really hard to kill shepard by accident, if he dies, then you made it happen by racing through the main quest and thats it.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Doesn't the whole thing loop itself?

"If you die, you can't import your Shepard, but what you CAN do, is make a new one. Of course, that makes no sense at all and made all of your previous endeavours pointless, but yeah, you die, tough shit mate."

So basically the only downside to dying is not getting some bonus stuff at the beginning? Wow. Nice punishment BioWare. Seriously though...this is my basic point:

tehroc said:
Sounds pretty lame to me, so no matter what, it doesn't matter at all what you do in Mass Effect 2. A fresh Shepard is established into Mass Effect 3 with a canonical background with what happened in the second game. So how is that different from any other game ever made?

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
It would be cool if they added a funeral scene, and maybe a small mission starring a side character, to the third game if you import a dead Shepard. Just as a bonus, and a reason to play a suicide Shepard.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Its possible to re-do the mission, and the game. Besides we have what, more than two years before Mass Effect 3 comes out? If you die, just replay the game.

I personally have not died in the suicide mission.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Sounds pretty lame. If Bioware wanted us to be able to import saves, why would they go against that and introduce an option that would prevent us from doing so?

Also the fact that i can play ME3 without previous saves completely defeats the point of choices in ME2 being final... They can never be final if i can still play ME3.

It does not make any sense.

Also why did they kill him once already? Couldn't they have instead saved the project lazarus for after this suicide mission, and provide a way out for every possible outcome of the mission, and begin ME2 with something else?

Bah. Lame.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
Oh, i was just wondering about that. guess its not really surprising that there would be hiccups in ME3 if your shepard died in ME2.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Sparrow said:
And this is why you do your loyalty missions, folks.
And upgrade the ship.
And upgrade your armor.
And upgrade your weapons.
And upgrade your biotics.
And upgrade your tech.
And scan planets.
And... er... I guess that's about it...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
TheDoctor455 said:
Sparrow said:
And this is why you do your loyalty missions, folks.
And upgrade the ship.
And upgrade your armor.
And upgrade your weapons.
And upgrade your biotics.
And upgrade your tech.
And scan planets.
And... er... I guess that's about it...
Well really you only need the loyalty missions. As I recall, Shepard survives as long as one other party member doesn't kick the bucket. Everyone else is just flavour and making you feel better about not leaving anyone behind.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
I didn't even know that cannonically dieing was actually possible in that game. How do you do it? Both my Sheps and all his squad mates survived, no matter the ending choice I made on the Suicide Mission.

Need MOAR APPLES

Feb 5, 2010
The Bandit said:
Need MOAR APPLES said:
So, I'm guessing messing up the first time and losing Zaeed, Jack and Legion in ME3 I won't be able to use those characters?
No. Why would you be able to? Were you able to use Kaiden/Ashley?
No what I was trying to get at was like I had numerous games first game I lost 3 people then the second play through lost no one...I think I am just confusing myself