BioWare: A Dead Shepard Stays Dead

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
First playthrough for me I got all the ship upgrades and loyalty on all of the people I recruited, 10 in total I think. No one died in the final mission, so it seems to me that the only way for Shepard to die, is to actually work at making him/her die.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
IdealistCommi said:
Doug said:
IdealistCommi said:
Well, you pretty much have to fuck up big time for Shepard to die.
Indeedie. You have to MAJORITY screw up with ME 2 to kill him off.
You pretty much HAVE to try to kill him. I mean, get no ship upgrades, not wake up Grunt/Legion, not get any loyalty, and choose the entirely wrong people for specializations near the end

I highly doubt that someone could do this by accident.
Agreed - you could kill off most of them without trying but you'd pretty have to be trying to wipe them all out. Someone managed to do it and post it on YouTube.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I don't see what the big deal is. I actually tried to die (only did four loyalties) and lost a ton of squadmates at the end of my insanity playthrough and Shepard still lived in the end. :/

Need MOAR APPLES

Feb 5, 2010
So, I'm guessing messing up the first time and losing Zaeed, Jack and Legion in ME3 I won't be able to use those characters?

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
When did Peter Molyneux and Dennis Dyack start working for BioWare?

What a terrible idea. Someone is taking their game way too seriously.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
What if you he lives in you're first one, and then you go and do things without any upgrades and intentionally do stupid things so that people die just for the hell of it, and Shepard dies as well? Any ideas?

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
Honestly, I don't understand what the issue is. You die at the end of ME2, YOUR Shepard isn't in ME3. Shepard is meant to survive but if you are so incompetent that you can't survive the mission then you shouldn't continue anyway. It's not the fact that Shepard dies that is the issue. It is the fact that YOUR Shepard dies.

Desert Tiger said:
"And that is the tragic death of Gordon Shepard."
"Meanwhile, on the OTHER side of the galaxy, JOHN SHEPARD, HIS LONG LOST TWIN BROTHER, PREPARES FOR WARRR!"

You're right. This makes so much more sense.
You're right it does make sense. Because Mass Effect is meant to be 3 games comprising numerous stories, not 3 games comprising one story. So if you mess up (to put it lightly) in ME2 YOUR story is over. The game won't cater to people dumb enough not to find a way to stay alive when the vast majority of people stayed alive. Your choices have an impact on the ME world you create. Therefore, if you die, you waste everything you've worked towards. This isn't an issue of Shepard dying, this is an issue of people not accepting that Bioware means for this to be a trilogy that you have to earn, you can't just waltz on through and expect to just win because you killed the final boss. It's all about choices, and if you make the choice to be a terrible leader then you deserve the fate of your character dying, but don't expect them to cater to the extreme minority of people who killed off their Shepard because they can't seem to realize how to play the game.

Mimsofthedawg said:
this is stupid. "You can kill off your main character and lose all your stats, BUT DON'T WORRY! we'll just create you a useless clone to take up his mantle in the next game!"

am I the only one that thinks this is stupid?

And if only one outcome is canonical, than let that be the only outcome!

Stupid developers trying stupid things to add weight and uniqueness to their games....
No, in a sense both endings are canonical, seeing as how whatever you chose is essentially canon. This may be a difficult concept to grasp, however, is it canon that the Rachni queen is alive or dead? seeing as how that is a choice you make. Is it canon that Wrex is the leader of clan Urdnot on Tuchanka or that he is a pile of radioactive goo on Virmire? Is it canon that the Council is alive or dead? Is it canon that Ashley or Kaiden is dead? There really is no canon in this game. Sure the overbearing arc of the series is that Shepard lives, but what makes this game different is that you in a sense create your own canon. This is the end of your Shepard, this is the end of your story in Mass Effect. However, you can't expect Bioware to come up with a whole new character in the third installment because 1% of the player base was bad enough to get their character killed. If you don't want to try and stay alive maybe you shouldn't play this game.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Lonan said:
What if you he lives in you're first one, and then you go and do things without any upgrades and intentionally do stupid things so that people die just for the hell of it, and Shepard dies as well? Any ideas?
So, you're saying what if you keep him alive in one save, then redo the game and kill him off? It seems it'll be like ME1->ME2 importing, different save files, different results ingame. In other words, you'll have a save to import where you have a live Shep, and one you can't import because you killed him. That's what I got from the article, anyway.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Well this was expected. I lost Legion, Jack, Mordin, and Thane. But Shepard survived, so yay... I guess.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
tellmeimaninja said:
Hooray! I got everyone out alive!

Sometimes it seems like the Escapist just makes these news threads to stroke my ego!
We do like a good stroking.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Sparrow said:
And this is why you do your loyalty missions, folks.
This
There is no decision to be made. All you have to do is finish all the loyalty missions, upgrade your ship, and you wont die.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Mcface said:
Sparrow said:
And this is why you do your loyalty missions, folks.
This
There is no decision to be made. All you have to do is finish all the loyalty missions, upgrade your ship, and you wont die.
Hell you don't even need to do all the loyalty missions. I think three or four is the minimum to make it out alive, and that's with no ship upgrades iirc.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
ciortas1 said:
Was I the only one thinking ME3 could take on a whole new direction with the game after seeing mention of
the rachni rebuilding, genophage possibly being cured, and the geth reprogrammed (3 possible personal armies?)
, and that Shepard wouldn't be the main protagonist, but rather the inhabitants of the galaxy versus the Reapers?
Note: before reading this thread, I was not aware that Mass Effect was only "SHEPARD'S STORY, DAMNIT", not the story of that universe.
It's likely the Geth, United Krogan under Wrex and the Rachni are all possible allies for you in ME3, depending on your decisions in the first two games. Also, huge spoiler within a spoiler, at the end of the game, you have the choice of destroying the collector base, or keeping it. Chances are if you save it, Cerberus will create their own reaper like ship and help you fight the reapers.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Dam they could of been really creative with this, but if shepard dies you just get a piss weak shepard instead? Am I the only one who sees a massive missed oppurtunity here?