BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
No it doesn't mean that Zeel that's the problem.

All it means is that they had an idea for a Prothean character who was gonna tell you COMPLETELY USELESS information, and then they later made him recruitable through a DLC.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I can't help but wonder, how many of the Bioware fans who are defending this day-one DLC would be screaming 'foul' if this exact same situation cropped up for another game from another developer. A developer whose PR guy said the same thing. Namely, "Work started on the DLC after we finished the game, so we couldn't include it."

I'm curious how many would immediately assume the guy was bullshitting to cover their asses.

Regardless, I don't really care. I've no interest in buying Mass Effect 3.

Zachery Gaskins said:
"WHY DOES HIS HAMBURGER HAVE BACON? MINE DOESN'T HAVE BACON. I DON'T CARE THAT HE PAID MORE FOR HIS BURGER - YOU KNEW ALL ALONG YOU COULD PUT BACON ON THE HAMBURGER - WHY ARE YOU LYING TO US"

So what the whargarblers are saying, essentially, is that a hamburger is incomplete unless it has bacon on it?
But...but...a hamburger really isn't complete if it doesn't have bacon on it. The burger looks so lonely on the bun without it's little crispy friend with it. :(

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Zeel said:
Are you asking me if the Prothean existed before Feburary? because there is indeed evidence of that.
No, proof of any of the following statements you made.

- They were mentioning it in the special collectors edition for a while now.
- confirmed by the "collectors editions description"
- Too bad it was already being developed early november not After "content-complete" mode.
- It was part of the original game

The leaks do not count. They were months old when they were unleashed, none of it was finalized, and ALL of it is speculatory, at best.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Zeel said:
animehermit said:
SajuukKhar said:
HERE IS THE SO CALLED "PLOT CRITICAL INFORMATION THE PROTHEAN GIVES YOU"

snip/ spoilers
No evidence to support whether or not this from the game or the DLC
This is why I can't take your side seriously. Its like we lay out all the evidence for you and you just refuse to come to the obvious conclusions.

UNLESS THEY WERE DEVELOPING THE DLC FROM NOV. THEN ITS FROM THE GOD DAMN GAME, OBVIOUSLY. PLEASE START THINKING NOW.

Edit: ironic the poster then asks for proof, even after she got it. Wonderful. you are not using your head. There isn't enough proof in the world to make you start thinking.
your the only one here that's not thinking now kindly stop before you insult everyone further

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
A 10 dollar DLC might end up costing them millions in potential buyers that are turned off because of this, whereas the announcement that a 10 dollar DLC that includes a Protean will be included in all versions for free might have brought in people that might not have bought it or were on the fence about it.

I always planned on getting the CE but that's just bad business right there.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

BioWare says the From Ashes launch-day DLC for Mass Effect 3 couldn't be included with the game because work on it didn't begin until the upcoming sci-fi epic was complete.

Gamers reacted to the unexpected and unintentional reveal [www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115967-Mass-Effect-3-DLC-Appears-on-Xbox-Live] of From Ashes, the launch-day DLC for Mass Effect 3 that turned up on Xbox Live yesterday, about as you'd expect: they got mad. Why, they demanded, was this bit of content, which was obviously ready in time for the game's release, not included with the game - particularly since Collector's Edition buyers will get it free, but those who opt for the standard release will have to pony up 800 Microsoft points, or about ten bucks, for the privilege.

It's a pretty common question in this era of day-one DLC and BioWare is doing its best to answer it fully. First up is Mass Effect Producer Michael Gamble, who took to the forums to explain what the DLC is all about. And there are spoilers! Small ones, but consider yourself warned regardless.

From Ashes will include a Prothean squad mate, a trip to Eden Prime, a new weapon and an alternate appearance for everyone on the team, above and beyond the alternate appearances already included with the CE. "The Collectors Edition has been advertised from the beginning as containing a bonus character/mission, but we were not at liberty to provide the details," Gamble wrote [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9403705/1]. "The Prothean is optional content that is certainly designed to appeal to long-time fans, which is why he is part of the CE offering (the version many fans would be likely to purchase). Mass Effect 3 is a complete - and a huge game - right out of the box."

He also noted that development on From Ashes did not begin "until well after the main game went into certification," a point Executive Producer Casey Hudson expanded on through Twitter [https://twitter.com/#!/CaseyDHudson].

"It takes about 3 months from 'content complete' to bug-fix, certify, manufacture, and ship game discs. In that time we work on DLC," he wrote. "DLC has fast cert and no mfg., so if a team works very hard, they can get a DLC done in time to enjoy it with your 1st playthrough on day 1. On #ME3, content creators completed the game in January & moved onto the 'From Ashes' DLC, free w/ the CE or you can buy seperately."

The truth is that this probably won't do much to calm the rage but for people genuinely curious about why launch-day DLC isn't in the box, there you have it. Unfortunately, if you haven't already laid down your money for the CE, you might be stuck: Amazon [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Collectors-Playstation/dp/B0050SY06W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330025508&sr=8-3] is reporting that due to high demand [and possibly the imminent Reaper invasion], its allocation of CEs across all platforms is sold out.

Mass Effect 3, and the From Ashes DLC, will be out on March 6 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Whew good thing I pre-ordered from Origin(YES YOUR HATE IS DELICIOUS)

On the other hand, I do sympathize. At 10 dollars it does seem a little... hmm whats the right word... "outrageous"? 5 would have been better and I think that would have dampened the ensuing uproar.

That said, its also an image issue. It is true that often times day one DLC is after the actual game is completed. But it sure dont LOOK like that. Hell I think a better way would be to say "yes the CE users will have an extra squad mate. No he's not essential to the story line much like Kasumi and Zaeed was. yes you will be able to purchase the character and his mission/weapons/costume at a later date." Rather than this "DLC available launch day." That makes people feel ripped off at not having a "complete" game. People want, rightfully, to have a full game when they purchase a game. Even if its only the feeling of a complete game.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Zachery Gaskins said:
"WHY DOES HIS HAMBURGER HAVE BACON? MINE DOESN'T HAVE BACON. I DON'T CARE THAT HE PAID MORE FOR HIS BURGER - YOU KNEW ALL ALONG YOU COULD PUT BACON ON THE HAMBURGER - WHY ARE YOU LYING TO US"

So what the whargarblers are saying, essentially, is that a hamburger is incomplete unless it has bacon on it?
But...but...a hamburger really isn't complete if it doesn't have bacon on it. The burger looks so lonely on the bun without it's little crispy friend with it. :(
Don't forget the cheese. It MUST have cheese. It's called a cheeseburger, then, I guess. But still!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Vault boy Eddie said:
A 10 dollar DLC might end up costing them millions in potential buyers that are turned off because of this, whereas the announcement that a 10 dollar DLC that includes a Protean will be included in all versions for free might have brought in people that might not have bought it or were on the fence about it.

Boycotts never work (L4D2 anyone?), and this won't matter at all the the vast majority of players anyways. Anyone here no longer going to buy the game over this?

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
INF1NIT3 D00M said:
Short answer: I like ponies!

Long answer: I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like ponies!

Okay, more serious now (still loving the horse analogy, even if it's not entirely correct):
I am not saying that EA is not acting like a complete arsehole, they are completely devoid of any moral and consciousness and show next to no respect for their target audience.

However, the whole horse minus the saddle example that you brought up, is not entirely the way it happened with the Mass Effect DLC. See my following points:
1: Someone accidentally put it up on X-Box Live, so if that never happened, no one would have even known.
2: It's "free", with the collector's edition. Like many other CE's, you get a lot of extra content, but that's what you pay extra for. World of Warcraft has pets with every CE, the Prothean is similar to that, in a way that it's 'cosmetical', it has no impact on the story, but just another addition to the team. The game is not incomplete without the Prothean. It's just a very shiny and rare team-member.

If you don't want to shelf out an extra 20 bucks for the collector's edition, but do want the Prothean, EA is giving you the CHOICE of paying 10 bucks for it, on release day. If having a Prothean on your team is a big deal, then this is for you.

Whether or not the Prothean DLC is worth $10 is an individual decision, seeing as how plenty of people bought that horse DLC for Dragon Age, for some a few bucks for something cosmetical is not a big deal.

Again, your game experience is not lessened by the lack of a Prothean, but it can be enhanced if you want. And color me interested. :)

Heinrich843

Apr 1, 2009
CapitalistPig said:
I'm totally on your side but I'd say please tell that to my mechanic. Talk about nickel and diming in a bad economy. lol. Just another reason I don't buy any games. Plus most of my friends play F2P games where guess what the system works, everyone makes money, and those that don't want to play and scratch can claw thru the ranks. I think this model could be the future of the frugal gamer.
Unless you take your car to an unaffiliated mechanic, the "nickle and dime'ing" is probably for the overall health of your car. Assuming you took it to an ASE master technician, you should hear your mechanic out on what they're suggesting.

In America- cars are large ticket items that are a necessity if you live outside cities with good public transportation. To elaborate, they're not really luxury items and the mechanic will try to fix your car to 100%, rather than 50% and say, "That's good enough". The reasoning behind this is not to take you for all you've got, but more so to cover the mechanic's ass in case of future, more expensive repairs.

I'd argue that the price of car parts rising, or being artificially increased for less product- would be an excellent comparison.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
animehermit said:
Ukomba said:
Vault boy Eddie said:

Boycotts never work (L4D2 anyone?), and this won't matter at all the the vast majority of players anyways. Anyone here no longer going to buy the game over this?
Nope. I've had the CE on pre-order since December when I bought TOR.
preorder in January then canceled then repreorder it when the bf3 stuff happened

Llamazoid

Mar 10, 2011
Zeel said:
This is why I can't take your side seriously. Its like we lay out all the evidence for you and you just refuse to come to the obvious conclusions.

UNLESS THEY WERE DEVELOPING THE DLC FROM NOV. THEN ITS FROM THE GOD DAMN GAME, OBVIOUSLY. PLEASE START THINKING NOW.
Hold on that's your infallible proof? That dialogue basically summaries Shepherd's first encounter with this new Prothean Character. This could easily be the first conversation when he's discovered on Eden Prime, which is setting of the new the DLC.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011

So, Mr. Zeel, it appears that so far the only factual evidence you have submitted is a first draft leak of an outdated script translated from Russian. Do you have any real evidence you'd like to submit?