BioWare "Falsely Advertised" Mass Effect 3

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
blackdwarf said:
i know i'm talking about different fanbases here and i know that the fans of ME are bigger in numbers, but why do i only hear complaining on ME3 when SFxTK did exactly the same and in my opinion much worse. they promised a feature, that would give you the ability to play with a friend on the couch the game co-op, what happened? it was only available on the ps3 version and there will be no patch to put it on the xbox 360 version or the pc version, that still has to come out.
This! This right here in bold needs to be more well known. They actually advertised this feature being in all the versions, but it wasent until after the game was released that everyone found out the sad truth.

Bioware just made an empty promise, Capcom strait up lied (maybe even tricked its audience). People should stop wasting time with this dumb case, drop it and sue Capcom who actully falsely advertised.

A bit off topic yes, but I fell gamers are pointing to the wrong developer and letting the other get away.

Jul 22, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
Jokes on the gamers! Now, we'll get the same exact ending to every fucking game. The safe, happy ending that nobody has grounds to complain about. Thank you, "retakers". Thank you for your entitled douchebaggery.

We don't want happy[i/] endings per se, we want meaningful endings that make sense and are affected by choice.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
AnarchistAbe said:
Jokes on the gamers! Now, we'll get the same exact ending to every fucking game. The safe, happy ending that nobody has grounds to complain about. Thank you, "retakers". Thank you for your entitled douchebaggery.
Don't worry, I'm YOU'LL always find something to complain about.
Good one! Got any more? Please, let's hear them.

Jul 22, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
What you WANT is irrelevant. What you'll GET is companies playing it more safe than ever, to avoid getting sued by you whiny *insert derogatory expletive here*s.
Congratulations! You got what you wanted, though.
I wat'd.

If what I want is irrelevant and I'll get something else, then I didn't get what I wanted did I?

Logic.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I think Bioware should just stop making RPG games and start making sport-sims and multiplayer FPSes. At least fans of those games are not as rage-filled as RPG ones, and are more grateful.
And it will bring them more money.

I understand that they could have done it better. I understand that everyone (including me) wanted to see the impact of their actions. But this is just ridiculous. Such ammount of rage and complaints is but a tantrum. Legal complaint? Are you kidding me?!

They [Bioware]have already said, that they, well, "feel us" (On this I trust Bioware); They have already stated that they are making an Extended cut DLC (which, I assure You, will be free: EA won't dare make us pay for it after the whole scandal).
What else do you want? You want them to buy your copies from you and replace it with the "right" ones for free? Maybe a fellatio from Ray Muzyka himself, just for the sake of it?

You played the game, you enjoyed it until the very end, which they will fix.
So stop it. Just stop it. This is literally crazy. It is as if litlle spoiled kid got a fresh, home-made chocolate cookle from his/her grandma, and saw a bit of raw dough on the side:
-UWWAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!!! This cookie is bad!!!!
-Honey, please calm down, grandma will fix it.
-No!You messed it up! I hate you!- screamed the child, while eating one cookie after another, for they were delicious, every single one of them. Exept for the one with the dough.

P.S. Quoting I don't remember who, but probably MovieBob: "You want Bioware to make with ME the same thing you hate George Lucas for doing with Star Wars."

AnarchistAbe

Sep 10, 2009
GamesB2 said:
AnarchistAbe said:
What you WANT is irrelevant. What you'll GET is companies playing it more safe than ever, to avoid getting sued by you whiny *insert derogatory expletive here*s.
Congratulations! You got what you wanted, though.
I wat'd.

If what I want is irrelevant and I'll get something else, then I didn't get what I wanted did I?

Logic.
This is one of those, "You won the battle, not the war" moments for gamers. Just wait. Call me a troll, write me off, whatever you want to do. But, just wait and see what publishers respond with.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
GamesB2 said:
AnarchistAbe said:
We don't want happy[i/] endings per se, we want meaningful endings that make sense and are affected by choice.

Congratulations! You got what you wanted, though. That's all that really matters, right? This company, that you loved so much and created a series we all love, getting hit for false advertising because you all didn't like what happened. Congratulations!

No, they're getting sued for false advertising, not because the ending sucked (even though it did) but because the choices that you had at the ending achieved nothing. Hell, is it even possible to fail mass effect 3? If I rushed through the game and didn't collect war assets, picking the worst choices, I would still beat the reapers.

There wasn't meaningful choices. At all.

AnarchistAbe

Sep 10, 2009
dogstile said:
No, they're getting sued for false advertising, not because the ending sucked (even though it did) but because the choices that you had at the ending achieved nothing. Hell, is it even possible to fail mass effect 3? If I rushed through the game and didn't collect war assets, picking the worst choices, I would still beat the reapers.

Do you REALLY feel they deserved this? Games marketing ALWAYS promises more than the game could deliver. Why is Bioware being singled out?

AnarchistAbe

Sep 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
AnarchistAbe said:
DVS BSTrD said:
AnarchistAbe said:
Don't worry, I'm YOU'LL always find something to complain about.
Good one! Got any more? Please, let's hear them.
You want more?
Well what YOU want is irrelevant, because what YOU'LL get is me ignoring you from now on until you realize the irony of going on a massive bitching bender about how other people are going on a massive bitching bender.

Good day sir!

*ignored*
The lulz train has officially left the station. Thanks for the laugh, bro. I needed that.

Jul 22, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
Do you REALLY feel they deserved this? Games marketing ALWAYS promises more than the game could deliver. Why is Bioware being singled out?
Because people really invested in the Mass Effect series, after completing Mass Effect 2 people went back through ME1 and ME2 to see how things changed.

Once they completed ME3 it didn't really seem like there was a point, I could spend 3 games alienating every possible ally and being a complete prick to all other races and the ending won't change in the slightest.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
dogstile said:

Of course they deserved this. As do the developers of any game that hasn't lived up to what they've promised. If you sell a product advertising it has a feature and you take it out without removing the advertisement, you deserve to get sued.

I don't know why Bioware has been singled out, but it doesn't matter, more companies should learn. Just because they've always done it doesn't mean its ok.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Uh, then the BBB is still filled with morons. This is not the first time the BBB has supported something that is completely and unequivocally wrong. Seriously there is a laundry list of instances when the BBB has put their stamp of approval on a business that within the same year that same organization is found guilty of fraud, extortion and other illegal business practices and had been for years.

So thankfully the BBB has basically no actual weight in this matter. Because this is a moronic baseless decision. Simply put you cannot claim that peoples interpretation of "promises" are advertisements. Hell there is still no evidence of actual advertisements being made that have not been fulfilled.

Heres the crux.

The Mass Effect website promises, among other things, that "the decisions you make completely shape your experience and outcome," which as she notes does not leave a lot of room for interpretation. "There is no indecision in that statement. It is an absolute,
This is the closest thing, to an actual advertised feature that people are able to present and it is still a failure to support the false advertising claim.

If the woman cannot even comprehend how that is NOT concrete and in fact NOT absolute, then her entire opinion on the matter is invalid.

Mass effect 3 delivered on a game where your actions completely shaped your experience. However it does not say at all that your decisions completely shape your ending. Yes your decisions shape your outcome, albeit it in a limited capacity, but it does not say that your decisions completely shape the ending, though even then it still does. For christ sake, they show you a video right underneath that text explaining exactly what they meant and they fulfilled that advertised promise.

The ending is not specifically the "outcome". Many of the outcomes were decided well before the last 10 minutes of the game as in which civilzations survived and which didnt. The "outcome" extends far beyond the final cut scenes. The final approach, the final confrontation are also parts of "the outcome" How many times have we as gamers been presented with a boss battle in which you can go ahead and fight the final boss, or you can do side content first to "weaken" the boss before its even engaged. Hell this isnt even new to bioware. Look at the final events of Dragon Age Origins. You shape the outcome at the Landsmeet, you shape the final conflict by the choices you made through the game in which allies you have who are defending you to allow you to go to the archdemon. Simply put, ME3 does allow for your choices to shape the outcome of events. It does not state that your choices shape the ending of the game.

Simply put the basis for the claim of false advertisement fails and this proves it because of a failure to differentiate the definition of the word ending and the word outcome and that the entire claim is based on nothing more than an incorrect assumption.

As for this person, If you cannot handle the simple task of reading comprehension then please for the love of god keep your opinion to yourself and if your opinion is a part of your vocation then congratulations, you have a job you are unqualified for.

AnarchistAbe

Sep 10, 2009
dogstile said:
AnarchistAbe said:
dogstile said:

Of course they deserved this. As do the developers of any game that hasn't lived up to what they've promised. If you sell a product advertising it has a feature and you take it out without removing the advertisement, you deserve to get sued.

I don't know why Bioware has been singled out, but it doesn't matter, more companies should learn. Just because they've always done it doesn't mean its ok.
What if I feel that ME3 did reflect my choices? Am I not entitled to that opinion? And, if I am entitled to my opinion, then ME3 does indeed live up to its promises. Where do we draw the line? CoD MW3 promised the best shooter of all time. I didn't think it was, but they promised it. Can I sue Infinity Ward now?

I'm just playing the Devil's Advocate here. Do you at least see my point? Not asking to agree, just to see what I'm saying.

wibbit

Mar 8, 2010
yes, because i care what the BBB of "northern Indiana" thinks.

come on escapist, this is not a worthy story. does someone get a bonus if they wright so many stories this week or something?

and yes, i still think all the people complaining about MS3's ending are baby's.

AnarchistAbe

Sep 10, 2009
GamesB2 said:
AnarchistAbe said:
Because people really invested in the Mass Effect series, after completing Mass Effect 2 people went back through ME1 and ME2 to see how things changed.

Once they completed ME3 it didn't really seem like there was a point, I could spend 3 games alienating every possible ally and being a complete prick to all other races and the ending won't change in the slightest.
Nobody MADE us do it. We WANTED to. Nobody GUARANTEED that our choices would come together in a meaningful way, they just told us that they would and asked us to take it on faith.

We made the conscious decision to play all three games. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Jesus christ...will this ever end?

Someone should make a Chris Crocker style video for Bioware...since this is getting ri-goddamn-diculous...

"LEAVE BIOWARE ALONE! LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!"

All i'll say is, Bioware has put out some of the best RPGs in existence. They pretty much fucked up with ME3. But how many times have other companies fucked up with their games? We forgave those companies, so why can't we forgive Bioware?

I think people forget that ME3 is still a great game, just with a shitty ending. People didn't flip out this bad over Dragon Age 2, and that game wasn't nearly as good as ME3...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
dogstile said:
AnarchistAbe said:
dogstile said:

What if I feel that ME3 did reflect my choices? Am I not entitled to that opinion? And, if I am entitled to my opinion, then ME3 does indeed live up to its promises. Where do we draw the line? CoD MW3 promised the best shooter of all time. I didn't think it was, but they promised it. Can I sue Infinity Ward now?

I'm just playing the Devil's Advocate here. Do you at least see my point? Not asking to agree, just to see what I'm saying.
I see your point, but I disagree that your example is the same. They can argue that best means that its been sold the most. But I suppose its for the courts to decide.

I got that you were playing devils advocate, I enjoy playing it too :)