BioWare "Falsely Advertised" Mass Effect 3

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
BiscuitTrouser said:
Except you are equating criticism with attempting suing for false advertising and customers saying that they are entitled to better and that EA MUST PROVIDE IT.
I wasn't aware that anyone was suing for false advertising. I would love to see any source at all you have on this. This story certainly isn't about a lawsuit against them for false advertising.

Also I didn't equate anything to criticism, I was merely talking about criticism. Please highlight anywhere in my post where I even implied that suing them was equal to criticism.

Sometimes customers do feel they are entitled to better, and generally speaking businesses can decide for themselves whether they value their business enough to satisfy them. I've had problems at restaurants before, sometimes I don't even need to say a word before they have decided to pay for it or reimburse in some way. It's just business.

BiscuitTrouser said:
The game said you take choices that pick an ending. Sure its shit but it still happens. It isnt false advertising. And you know what its GOOD that we critisize. No ones saying its wrong to critisize and thats a total strawman, so much for critical thinking that straw doesnt boast many neurones does it?.
Before the game came out they clearly made some statements that do not fit with what I have heard the game delivers. Whether that qualifies as false advertising or not is not for you or I to decide, but rather people like the Better Business Bureau or the courts.

No one is saying it is wrong to criticise? First of all, I don't remember addressing anyone in particular, so how can you even claim for certain that I was talking about anyone here directly? Maybe I'm just posting my personal feelings on the matter with regards to things I have personally seen. But hey, feel free to prove to me that no where in my life experience I have ever seen someone crush or discourage legitimate criticism over this game and I will totally cop to the accusations of strawman.

That last sentence didn't exactly make sense to me...

BiscuitTrouser said:
If i buy the last book in the trilogy of my favourite books, (this happened with the eregon series) and its complete shit i can do the following things.

1. Give it a fair and bad review because it wasnt good online, discourage friends from reading it.
2. Not buy from that author again.

I cant return it. I cant demand a different ending. I cant MAKE the author make a story that I want. You cant. You just cant. You purchased a product, agreed with the buyer that youd get it based on: Previous work that only tangentally told us about the quality of this work and a promise in a teaser that was technically correct.
Your analogy is flawed but I'm sure you know that. Few analogies are ever perfect. Anyways, fans of the book could theoretically call for a new ending to be written, and under similar situations as ME3 they could even be seen to have a legitimate cause. I mean BioWare didn't get sufficient time to do an ending like they really wanted to do.

EA pushed them to released the game, and so they were forced to compromise their own vision by rushing some of the last parts of the game. It's well documented that they had to actually delay some voice recording sessions, for instance Sheen's, because they didn't have an ending finalised until very late in development. Also BioWare sure was quick to announce an update to help flesh out their ending, which they are more than willing to do.

In other words if anyone compromised BioWare's artistic vision here it was EA, because they were more worried about their bottom line in whatever quarter than allowing ME3 to be realised to the best of BioWare's ability. I'm sure if an author felt like they had been rushed and didn't do their ending justice they might also be willing to rewrite or clarify some parts of their ending.

I know this will be hard for you to admit as being reasonable, because it's hard to ever be wrong especially on the internet, so I understand if you need to be difficult in response.

BiscuitTrouser said:
I didnt pre order. I waited. I saw that its apparently crap. And i havnt bought it because im voting with my wallet and not by complaining (because companies totally take you super cerial if you buy their stuff and THEN say they need to change while continuing to buy their stuff).

I imagine you bought it. Whos feeding the companies now?
Actually I didn't buy it. You know what they say, assumptions make an 'ass' out of 'u' and your 'mptions'

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
blackdwarf said:
i know i'm talking about different fanbases here and i know that the fans of ME are bigger in numbers, but why do i only hear complaining on ME3 when SFxTK did exactly the same and in my opinion much worse. they promised a feature, that would give you the ability to play with a friend on the couch the game co-op, what happened? it was only available on the ps3 version and there will be no patch to put it on the xbox 360 version or the pc version, that still has to come out. not getting a promised feature is in my eyes much worse then not getting a a promised fulfilled they make everything and does not ever really happen. after all, whatever you do, you are doing the same stuff as everyone else with sometimes a character switched or some different dialogue, never you are really playing different events.

with that out off the way, what do people hope that will happen now? you are already getting the extended cut DLC and hopefully they have listened for there next game. i do understand why people are frustrated with what happened, but some people are really taking it far.
Do not forget having a lot of the DLC characters already on the disc.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Taerdin said:
I wasn't aware that anyone was suing for false advertising. I would love to see any source at all you have on this. This story certainly isn't about a lawsuit against them for false advertising.

Also I didn't equate anything to criticism, I was merely talking about criticism. Please highlight anywhere in my post where I even implied that suing them was equal to criticism.

Sometimes customers do feel they are entitled to better, and generally speaking businesses can decide for themselves whether they value their business enough to satisfy them. I've had problems at restaurants before, sometimes I don't even need to say a word before they have decided to pay for it or reimburse in some way. It's just business.

Before the game came out they clearly made some statements that do not fit with what I have heard the game delivers. Whether that qualifies as false advertising or not is not for you or I to decide, but rather people like the Better Business Bureau or the courts.

No one is saying it is wrong to criticise? First of all, I don't remember addressing anyone in particular, so how can you even claim for certain that I was talking about anyone here directly? Maybe I'm just posting my personal feelings on the matter with regards to things I have personally seen. But hey, feel free to prove to me that no where in my life experience I have ever seen someone crush or discourage legitimate criticism over this game and I will totally cop to the accusations of strawman.

Your analogy is flawed but I'm sure you know that. Few analogies are ever perfect. Anyways, fans of the book could theoretically call for a new ending to be written, and under similar situations as ME3 they could even be seen to have a legitimate cause. I mean BioWare didn't get sufficient time to do an ending like they really wanted to do.

EA pushed them to released the game, and so they were forced to compromise their own vision by rushing some of the last parts of the game. It's well documented that they had to actually delay some voice recording sessions, for instance Sheen's, because they didn't have an ending finalised until very late in development. Also BioWare sure was quick to announce an update to help flesh out their ending, which they are more than willing to do.

In other words if anyone compromised BioWare's artistic vision here it was EA, because they were more worried about their bottom line in whatever quarter than allowing ME3 to be realised to the best of BioWare's ability. I'm sure if an author felt like they had been rushed and didn't do their ending justice they might also be willing to rewrite or clarify some parts of their ending.

I know this will be hard for you to admit as being reasonable, because it's hard to ever be wrong especially on the internet, so I understand if you need to be difficult in response.
I was totally in error in the lawsuit front. I apologise.

You make some good points. Refering to your earlier post it was heavily implied that by opposing the whole "retake" mass effect scene you are opposing our right to critisize a medium. No one on this thread has done so, id like you to share any personal experience you have with anyone ever who told you it is not ok to critisize a medium under any circumstance. Do share.

Now in regard to EA forcing a rushed game and the DEVELOPERS being unhappy with the ending. Thats a different matter. If the creators of a piece of work dont like it and want to change it thats absolutely fine. The line is drawn when fans begin "demanding" changes or acting as if they own the intellectual property. If i made a series of paintings and everyone hated the last one BUT i liked it id keep it the way it was and no amount of "retaking" would be able to, or should be able to force me to do otherwise. Those who have legitimate issues with the ending have every right to complain, to let bioware know they created a substandard experience but i dont feel they have any right to "retake" something that was never theirs.

If bioware feel their work needs changing and want to change it thne they should be able to. I would support such an action fully. I mean i thought the ending of eregon was the biggest tonne of shit ive ever read. Other fans agree. You think a retake eregon movement would be reasonable?

Everyone in this thread who doesnt like retake posts about people being whiney for demanding changes. It was even in critical miss, its a common opinion.

You say that apparently "critisizing the game makes people whiney" according to "some people" who are undefined.

I linked two and two and it seemed to me as if you were equating critisizm with the demand for changes. But if such an experience came from outside the thread that was my mistake. I can only draw on what im seeing in the context of where you posted it.

I think Bioware should change the ending, id buy it then, applying pressure for quality with my wallet is just business. Really basic business. My issue is with people who think they MUST change it for them after they buy it without full knowlegde of what they are going to get. When you pre order you take a risk. Its a pretty obvious risk and if it doesnt work out for you tough luck. If a businessman said "pay to have whats in this box, the last 2 boxes have been awesome, give me money then you can open the box" and you paid for the box and didnt like it how is that anyones fault but yours. You didnt buy it of course but i have little pity for those that preordered and got something they didnt expect.

I also have little pity for those that KNEW the ending was bad, got it anyway, then complained about the ending being bad. Dont buy a product if its apparently iredeemably bad.

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
I have fewer issues with the way the story was resolved than the way key pieces of lore were carved off into saleable dlc chunks (as if a living god damn PROTHEAN was somehow irrelevant to the story). My issue is that if it really does provide closure, really does wrap up the threads, why the gosh darn blinking fuck was it not in the game to begin with?

No way of knowing of course; but without the massive backlash against the original ending, I'd lay down good money that this dlc and the recent multiplayer packs would never have been free.

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
I know you report what gets views... but GOD DAMN, can we just drop the Mass Effect shit.

sorry for going off the handle but I am more than sick of hearing about this. I know I don't have to read it, but I do see it popping up every other thread made.
I suppose I have to ask why you apologized for an outburst on the internet, when you clearly had to write out the words and then force yourself to hit post...

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Numb1lp said:
Eric the Orange said:
I know you report what gets views... but GOD DAMN, can we just drop the Mass Effect shit.

sorry for going off the handle but I am more than sick of hearing about this. I know I don't have to read it, but I do see it popping up every other thread made.
I suppose I have to ask why you apologized for an outburst on the internet, when you clearly had to write out the words and then force yourself to hit post...
Apologizing does not necessarily mean it was a mistake, or that you would not do it again. In this case it was more meant to denote the rarity of the case. As a general rule I don't put emotions into online posts as without tone of voice or body language to help it can be hard to interpret meaning.

Edward Aunchman

Apr 15, 2012
Bio ware you can shove your "artistic Intergrity" Up Satans ass because thats where it belongs.You ripped those endings STRAIGHT from Deus Ex Human revolution.CONGRATS BIOWARE You have succeeded in pissing off 97.5 percent of your Entire fan base.Hey guys word of advice unless they give alternate ending dlc boycot mass effect 4 if they try and release it because obviously its going to be a piece of complete crap.I payed over 70 dollars and invested over 100 hours into this game series I AM ENTITLED TO A BETTER FUCKING ENDING. I dont give a flying fuck what anyone else says.Yes yes they do deserve this they have been doing this for god knows how long IT HAS TO STOP NOW.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Sperium 3000 said:
In other words, Mass Effect has become Star Wars.
Yeah, I think this is pretty much true. I actually have friends who care more about Mass Effect than Star Wars, so.

Grey Day for Elcia said:
Oh for fu...

People, for the love of god, get over it.

People starve to death every day and some of you won't get the fuck over a video game ending. I'm sure it's the worst thing to ever happen to you and all, but with all the rape, murder, poverty and homelessness going on around the world and in our own backyards, you'll forgive me if I don't drop to my knees and cry with you.

First, how about you get over the fact that people are complaining. "I'm sure [people complaining about the ME3 ending is] the worst thing to ever happen to you and all, but with all the rape, murder, poverty and homelessness going on around..." I mean, seriously. Getting your panties in a bunch because someone else has their panties in a bunch doesn't make your bunched panties more valid.

Also, you do realize you can literally invalidate any argument, anywhere, ever, by shifting it's scope to make the initial terms of the argument invalid:

Denied a promotion?
People are starving get over it!

Your child died in a car crash?
Whole families are being slaughtered in Sudan!

Etc.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Uszi said:
Denied a promotion?
People are starving get over it!

Your child died in a car crash?
Whole families are being slaughtered in Sudan!

Etc.
Being denied a promotion and losing your child in an accident are both valid reasons to be upset and I wouldn't hold it against someone if they felt the need to vent a little. Disliking the way a fucking video game ended is not.

It's not even that I'm sick of it or angry that they care, anymore. Honestly, it isn't. It's so tired and played out that I think most of the normal people are just over it. The anti-retake Mass Effect 3 stuff isn't even funny anymore. What really annoys me about all this is how intense people get over it. A few forums posts here and there, and I'd think whatever--people have the right to complain a little if something disappointed them. It's around the time thousands of people gather en mass to send cupcakes to Bioware that you start to get sick of hearing about it. But, again, whatever. It's only when it gets into this pathetic area of genuine whinging that I just tweak a little. People seriously get upset and throw god-honest-tantrums about it. Still worse yet are the people who do that and then go on to try and convince the rest of us Bioware had an obligation to them and genuinely try to have real discussions about the supposed impact of the ending on their lives and how they should sue, blah, blah, blah, you get the idea.

That was a pretty thick wall of text, sorry. I'll remove the fluff: people being disappointed in the ending is fine with me. People talking to others about how the ending disappointed them is cool by me. But when people and entire groups start trying to tell us all that we should care and that the entire thing is some huge travesty, I draw a big 'ol line.

I try not to direct any of my frustrations at individuals who just say "Hey, I think the ending was pretty shit. Would be cool if they could change it or something." 90% of the people talking about this stuff, are saying things like that. It's the very, very vocal minority that I want to just (lightly) slap and shake a little. I mean... guys... it's a video game. Yeah, you don't like the ending. That sucks for you. But at some point, just move on. I really don't wanna go into the basement dwelling stereotype (hell, I AM that stereotype and aside from my boyfriend, I don't do much with anyone or go anywhere, lol) but it really makes you to just scream out: "It's a video game! Go outside for once in your life and get some perspective!"

But that would be rude >_>

Anyway, you're right; I need to just get over it, too.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
CriticKitten said:
webkilla said:
Gentlemen, check out this lovely ad that EA/Bioware put out...

Ha, and there were people who doubted me when I said that EA and Bioware did this on purpose to spark controversy and get lots of free press as a result!

Looks like I wasn't wrong about that after all, eh? Perhaps those of you who wanted to get me fitted for a tinfoil hat should come on over to the cynical side with me now. XD
Can I wear a sexy tinfoil hat if I do?

But seriously: I don't think EA expected THIS level of drama and controversy. They certainly wanted something that would make people talk and they aren't complaining about it (see: that image and all the sales they game has) but I don't believe they planned it to be this extreme.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
webkilla said:
Gentlemen, check out this lovely ad that EA/Bioware put out...

That's absolutely wretched and brilliant. Twisting this overblown controversy into an advertisement...but if there is anything that screams "deceitful" it's shit like this.

We can't have good things when people keep supporting companies do pull shit like THAT.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Oh shit, we now have lawyers screwing around in this debacle.

I'm not a fan of the ending, I won't deny, but I really hope people don't see this, "Technically, ME3 used False Advertising" thing as a way to really make things bad.

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Numb1lp said:
Eric the Orange said:

Apologizing does not necessarily mean it was a mistake, or that you would not do it again.
Actually, it kind of does.