BioWare: Gamers Prefer a Manly Shepard

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I generally don't play female characters, I tried in ME1 but my female Shepards butt got so distracting I literally played worse.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
I said this at the time and I still feel the same way... I'm not sure I like the idea of games companies trawling our data on the way we play games or what actually interests 'players' in games....

I've always fallen into the catagory of liking games that maybe haven't been the most popular as far as sales go.. I like thoughfulness and quirk in my games.. which seem to be accomplished by the developers by accident most of the time, and by basing a game around how the largest part of the audience plays or what they are interested by, games are in danger of becoming more generic than they already are at the moment in order to appeal more to the masses..

It just all looks really bad for those of us who want something a little different as opposed to dumbed down action RPG and shooters.

The likes of Planescape: Torment would NEVER be made today.. (or EVER if mass data was all that was used).. but it's still my all time favourite game, and my gaming experience would be a lot shallower without it.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I always play as default face male Shepard. I almost always use Garrus and Kasumi since the DLC cause she's just too awesome (too bad she can't be a romance option). I fully upgrade my ship, I made all the paragon choices and everything is just peachy.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
How will which gender people prefer to play as help Bioware craft their games? Because I only play a female in Mass Effect AND Dragon Age and they dont need to take anything away from that.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I used a male Shepard and went Paragon,my whole crew survived and I'm not on the Illusive Man's Christmas card list.

V161

Dec 8, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
BioWare: Gamers Prefer a Manly Shepard

As for me, I fully upgraded my ship, the whole crew loved me (even the surly one in the basement), we all came out of the Big Thrilla in one piece and let's just say I'm probably not on the Illusive Man's Christmas card list anymore. How did you do?

You know it playa, and had my way with Miss Tali'Zorah vas Normandy! Oh, the suit contamination we shared!

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I did one Evil and male play-through and one good and female play-through, both times all my crew survived. Some people might be put off the female Shepard by her occasional 'butchness' in dialogue...

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
tacomonkey 360 said:
I choose a male Shepard, my whole team survived, and I exploded the hell out out of the collector base. Off topic This one wonders how a hanar squad member would act. :p
"This one doesn't have time for your solid waste excretions."
"This one has forgotten whether its heatsink is over capacity. It wonders whether the criminal scum considers itself fortunate?"

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
So we have the fallowing question for the next BioWare RPG (not valid for ME3 due to various reasens).

-How much money they can save if they only use a male character?
-How many of those 18% bought the game BECAUSE you can be female and would the few lost sales be worth it?
- Can we keep spell-caster as a single class?

Because if I was EA, I would be asking the same questions.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's not that I mind Sheppard being female, it's just that the female voiceover for sheppard just isn't as good and feels awkward at times.
Plus there's like two decent hairstyles to chose from.
The rest looks like regurgitated plastic bags.

Quillbell

Apr 9, 2009
carnkhan4 said:
I did one Evil and male play-through and one good and female play-through, both times all my crew survived. Some people might be put off the female Shepard by her occasional 'butchness' in dialogue...
"Butchness"? she is a soldier after all, though Bioware could do to touch up her body language a bit for ME3, she sits like a man, and it looks hilarious when she's wearing her little black dress from the Kasumi DLC.

I choose Femshep every time, Hale's voice acting is just so good I can't bring myself to play anything else. Plus it's a nice change from the "buff manly-man" archetype, and not a lot of games offer the choice.

My first playthrough was with a pure paragon Shepard who upgraded everything available for upgrading, romanced "Archangel" (glad to see the majority of people liked the character as much as I did), and got everyone out alive.

tacomonkey 360

Mar 27, 2009
Blasto should should be in the next mass effect.
Fr said:
anc[is]
tacomonkey 360 said:
I choose a male Shepard, my whole team survived, and I exploded the hell out out of the collector base. Off topic This one wonders how a hanar squad member would act. :p
"This one doesn't have time for your solid waste excretions."
"This one has forgotten whether its heatsink is over capacity. It wonders whether the criminal scum considers itself fortunate?"