BioWare Hints at Big Things in Next Mass Effect 3 DLC

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
The_Darkness said:
Eh, rambling is fine. It's nice to have intelligent conversation on these topics - BSN (which I also frequent) is still a nightmare. I agree that ME3 went in an unexpected direction in some ways, especially the ending, but the writer in me tends to automatically fill in any plot holes to such an extent that I don't always notice them! I still like ME3, but I do wonder to what extent that is because I've decided to like it... (I'm still gutted that we didn't get to blow up Harbinger or any of the other Sovereign class Reapers...)
Yeah, somehow I missed the clunky final boss fight. But I would have settled for Harbinger just uttering a single -sentence-. I think what I miss the most about the direction is that... through ME1 and to some extend ME2, you had a sense of urgency of the mission, but it was still ambigious and left for you to explore and invest in. ME3 was very much a straight forward mission given to you in known territory - being a diplomat and unite the galaxy. The scene had already been set in ME1 and ME2 for that... so I was mostly resolving, not the delving deeper into part, nor actually connecting with the planets you were aiding. The Cerberus sidearc was interesting to some extend, but it neglected the whole Reaper thing as sort of a "status quo". Whereas I had thought we would look deeper into the whole Reaper thing........ and not by having a Deus ex Machina throw the whole Reaper Glosery in our face in the last 10 min. Nothing to explore, just a lot given to you along the linear road.

Exploration is probably the main issue. It just felt so linear. That and 31 fetch quests (mmo style) and 8 actual missions with dialogue etc. can just burn in a purgatory in all honesty.
(ME1 and ME2 had 30+ actual side missions, vs 8-9 in ME3, and the total mission when put together still gives off less for ME3, when the fetch quests are taken into the equation).

There's a lot of tiny things that keeps bugging me. It's not so much about the game and being a fan of it, it has at this point boiled down to being a sugarcoated game that would have been treated much harshes if ME1 and ME2 did not give it value... I don't think it's a good way of thinking to rely on a game to not stand on its own merits and excel. And if you strip away Rannoch and Tuchanka, I cannot think of much positive to say about the ME3 experience (granted those two arcs had some really good moments in them).

It is all oppinion based though, appreciate to see some other people's point of view on it!

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Floppertje said:
GloatingSwine said:
Floppertje said:
actually, you should get it. it's great! just... you know, stop playing when you hit the liberation of earth, put your fingers in your ears and yell: and then the reapers got killed and everything was perfect forever!
To be honest, the suck sets in some way before there.

If you get Mass Effect 3, just pretend it's a pretty good multiplayer horde mode game with an interesting but flawed progression mechanic, and ignore the horrible wart of a singleplayer campaign hanging off it.

Y'know, just like all those other EA games like Battlefield and Medal of Honour.
that's a little harsh. what was so bad about the rest of the SP? I liked it! It wasn't perfect, but calling it a horrible wart is a bit strong...
Basically, everything including Cerberus was stupid. They go from a tiny insignificant terrorist organisation in the first game to a galactic superpower that the combined might of the Citadel Council proves incapable of dealing with, who are capable of successfully attacking the seat of galactic government itself, with an infinite swarm of cyber-goons, despite literally every project we ever see them undertake fail and/or bite them in the ass.

Everything involving weeaboo space ninja wankmatter Kai Leng was double stupid. That's the sort of character that thirteen year olds write as their self inserts for Bleach fanfiction.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
GloatingSwine said:
Floppertje said:
GloatingSwine said:
Floppertje said:
actually, you should get it. it's great! just... you know, stop playing when you hit the liberation of earth, put your fingers in your ears and yell: and then the reapers got killed and everything was perfect forever!

If you get Mass Effect 3, just pretend it's a pretty good multiplayer horde mode game with an interesting but flawed progression mechanic, and ignore the horrible wart of a singleplayer campaign hanging off it.

Y'know, just like all those other EA games like Battlefield and Medal of Honour.
that's a little harsh. what was so bad about the rest of the SP? I liked it! It wasn't perfect, but calling it a horrible wart is a bit strong...
Basically, everything including Cerberus was stupid. They go from a tiny insignificant terrorist organisation in the first game to a galactic superpower that the combined might of the Citadel Council proves incapable of dealing with, who are capable of successfully attacking the seat of galactic government itself, with an infinite swarm of cyber-goons, despite literally every project we ever see them undertake fail and/or bite them in the ass.

Everything involving weeaboo space ninja wankmatter Kai Leng was double stupid. That's the sort of character that thirteen year olds write as their self inserts for Bleach fanfiction.
That always struck me as a bit odd as well. Sure they explained how they got the body count for the "army", with the whole experimental indoctrinaton thing. But an army still requires funds... LOTS of it. And it clearly stated they already spend quite a significant amount in ME2, just bringing Shepard back, so unless Harbinger broke his retirement fund and sponsored them, I am not really sure how they could do this. Suspension of disbelief only gets you so far. Not to mention that they had 6 months to prepare the facilities to produce this private army's equipment... was cerberus preparing for an invasion in advance? Possibly, but the funds are still questionable.

sonofliber

Mar 8, 2010
Nihlus2 said:
GloatingSwine said:
Floppertje said:
GloatingSwine said:
Floppertje said:

That always struck me as a bit odd as well. Sure they explained how they got the body count for the "army", with the whole experimental indoctrinaton thing. But an army still requires funds... LOTS of it. And it clearly stated they already spend quite a significant amount in ME2, just bringing Shepard back, so unless Harbinger broke his retirement fund and sponsored them, I am not really sure how they could do this. Suspension of disbelief only gets you so far. Not to mention that they had 6 months to prepare the facilities to produce this private army's equipment... was cerberus preparing for an invasion in advance? Possibly, but the funds are still questionable.
a god child from the stars did it

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Seeing Bioware squirm really brings a smile on my face.

It's proof that you can't develop crap all the time and expect people to swallow it everytime.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
Innegativeion said:
I don't see why Bioware doesn't just make an alternate ending DLC at this point. They had THEIR shitty conclusion. I don't care if they even plaster "THIS. IS. NOT. CANON." All up and down the thing. If they made a quality conclusion and released it as DLC, of course there'd be a huge hissy fit over it.

There's no denying however, it'd be THE best selling DLC of the year.

I know it, you know it, I can't perceive Bioware not knowing it.
The old "New-Coke-Bait-and-Switcheroo," eh?

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
I really don't get the hate you all keep spewing at BioWare anymore. Yeah, the ending sucked and for some of you even the free fix can't dilute the awfulness, but there's a time to let go. All you saying the DLC doesn't matter because we know how it ends are just being whiny. Should we be skeptical of the quality? Yes, so wait for reviews. I did that for Leviathan and Omega and I was satisfied with the little adventures they gave.

To use your logic: Why should I care about The Hobbit? Bilbo was in LotR writing "There and Back Again" so I already know the ending. Answer: Because it's a new adventure with new places and people. Kinda like ME3 DLC.

OT: Citadel huh? This'll be interesting. Let's just hope they can keep Starbrat out of it.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
Floppertje said:

yeah, I guess I gotta give you that one. corporations sponsoring cerberus to revive shepard and stop the collectors... alright. cerberus then waging war on a galactic scale with obviously more expenses and going skeletor-level Evil and none of those sponsors backing out... I'm not buying it. maybe because they started turning their soldiers into cyber-zombies, they only had to pay wages until the soldier was cyber-zombified and then... alright, no. it's stupid.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Unless it is a new ending, I am not very interested.
If they release Mass Effect 3, The REALLY REALLY REAL ENDING edition for free, then I'll consider maybe, perhaps perusing Bioware products once more.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
ITT: People still butthurt about ME3 ending.
It's been 9 months, it's time to stop sulking and get over it.

I'll probably be getting this DLC, I actually enjoy Mass Effect. I like running around as Shepard, blasting space zombies away with my biotics. It's fun for me. If I can get more of it, I don't see why I shouldn't get this DLC. And if it has a cohesive plot, all the better.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Innegativeion said:
I don't see why Bioware doesn't just make an alternate ending DLC at this point. They had THEIR shitty conclusion. I don't care if they even plaster "THIS. IS. NOT. CANON." All up and down the thing. If they made a quality conclusion and released it as DLC, of course there'd be a huge hissy fit over it.

There's no denying however, it'd be THE best selling DLC of the year.

I know it, you know it, I can't perceive Bioware not knowing it.
Because ARTISTIC INTEGRITY

theblackmonk90

Sep 28, 2010
Sorry Biosware. Your Omega DLC was short and terrible. It was also very expensive. I will not be buying anymore DLC from you. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, 2nd chances and even defended you. Not any more.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
kael013 said:
I really don't get the hate you all keep spewing at BioWare anymore.
It's not just about Bioware or ME3 anymore. It's about a company that has run its IP's into the ground, either dismissed or disenchanted a large portion of its staff, and is essentially being used as a corpse puppet by EA to flag the bones of franchises that were killed off by the latter's mismanagement. There's a reason why EA is considered the scourge of the video game industry, and their treatment of Bioware is just further proof of that.

It doesn't make me mad or whiny to expect better from a company I once supported with my own money. They once created some of the best RPG's in the market, yet their last three releases have been critical fan disappointments and underwhelming earners. I see no problem with calling the company (and their publisher out) for their problems. Whether it takes nine months or two years to get that message through to them isn't the issue. They are a public company, and their fans should demand better when they screw up.

The only thing Bioware has shown over the last nine months is that they'll still stick their fingers in their ears and drown out any negative complaints, while telling their friends in the gaming industry that people just didn't "get" their "artistic integrity". As they say, pride comes before the fall.

To use your logic: Why should I care about The Hobbit? Bilbo was in LotR writing "There and Back Again" so I already know the ending. Answer: Because it's a new adventure with new places and people. Kinda like ME3 DLC.
That's a terrible analogy. One is a prequel, the other isn't. The main characters (of both The Hobbit and LOTR) are still alive and well at the end of that franchise. LOTR didn't originally end with the main character being forced into a no-win situation and having to pointlessly sacrifice themselves, all while it was implied that the entire universe was destroyed as a result of his actions.

The ME3 DLC is pointless because it means nothing to the overall resolution of either the plot threads or overarching franchise, nor does it have any impact on the silliness and "shaggy-dog" nature of the eventual resolution. Aside from the fact that Omega was a lackluster three-hour trip through monotonous corridors and bug-filled cutscenes, Shepard still dies in the same hamfisted way every time, regardless of what actions you pick within the individual missions.

Loethlin said:
I could say the same thing about the "complaining about the complaining". It's even worse than the original (majority) of players who disliked the game.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
crazyrabbits said:
Loethlin said:
I could say the same thing about the "complaining about the complaining". It's even worse than the original (majority) of players who disliked the game.
Yes, why don't you stomp your foot and pout some more.
Everywhere I go, I see the same goddamn thing. Crying and bitching about the ending! "It's irrelevant because ending is shit!" and all that. Oh please. You people are acting like BioWare killed your puppy. Like they're personally after you and your fragile psyche, you feel the need to show your bitter disappointment and resentment.
Every mention of EA or BioWare anywhere, it's the same reaction: ME3 ENDING! QQ!. For nine goddamn months!
I've had about enough of this.
I don't care about your long dissemination of the matter or your verbose argument. It's all been said and done before, we know. Now put on another record. Maybe this one won't get broken.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Loethlin said:
Yes, why don't you stomp your foot and pout some more.
Do I look like I'm pouting? The only thing I've done is point out the hypocrisy in your statement. I was a member of the BSN when the game was first released, and the people who explained their arguments about the game itself (not limited to the ending) were well-reasoned and not prone to hysterics, while the people who "complain about the complaining" resort to histronics and passive-aggressive insults to make the same point over and over again.

Everywhere I go, I see the same goddamn thing. Crying and bitching about the ending! "It's irrelevant because ending is shit!" and all that. Oh please. You people are acting like BioWare killed your puppy. Like they're personally after you and your fragile psyche, you feel the need to show your bitter disappointment and resentment.
Every mention of EA or BioWare anywhere, it's the same reaction: ME3 ENDING! QQ!. For nine goddamn months!
It's a double-sided argument. Over the last nine months, the company more or less disregarded all of the articles, videos and discussions about the failings of the game with a blanket "you just didn't get it!" response. This was in the face of mounting criticism from all sides. It wasn't just the fans - publications like Forbes and The New Yorker, and major media networks like CNN were calling out Bioware for the shoddy handling of their PR and response.

The reason why people continue to complain (as far as I know) is that they are still hoping that Bioware will essentially "apologize" (much like it did for DAII) and retcon the ending and fix the supposed 'mistakes' in the game, but that's a needle-in-a-haystack chance at this point.

Ten months ago, the Escapist was one of the three biggest sites for the "Mass Effect love-in". The franchise could do no wrong in everyone's eyes, despite having a flop in the form of Deception. Now, the people who genuinely enjoy the game are the exception rather than the rule. You can't go on any topic without the overwhelming opinion being about how much the game failed to live up to its predecessors.

I continue to call them out because (a) it promotes good discussion, and (b) as a long-time fan who paid money for their products, I have just as much right as anyone to point out where they went right or wrong. Differing viewpoints are a good thing.

I've had about enough of this.
I don't care about your long dissemination of the matter or your verbose argument.
Then don't bother posting on the Escapist again, so I don't have to deal with your backwards attitude. I just told someone else the same thing a few weeks back on a similar matter, and they didn't have a response either.

You're not contributing to this discussion in any way, shape or form.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
WOW who f*cking cares?

I haven't bought any ME3 DLC and unless this DLC is as good as Bioware is hoping it will be, I see no reason to change that. Them making a big deal about having the whole cast back is just annoying. In my opinion if you have a character in your DLC they need to be voiced, that is not something to be proud of it is a f*cking basic requirement.
But Hulick is back? GOOD because his stuff makes me cry like a little girl, I wont play the DLC but I will listen to the the music.

This "OMG U WOULD BE LIKE WOW IF U KNEW WHAT WE WERE GOING TO DO NEXT!!!!" has been going on for ages now. They keep on dick teasing, but according to my friends and reviewers none of the DLC is actually worthy of note. Lately Bioware are always promising the world and delivering something half-arsed.

I leave you with the usual rant
The Ending sucked / die in a ditch if you want the next game to be a prequel / Please Bioware don't make a Sequel

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
crazyrabbits said:
wall of text
So, wait, this is complaining about complaining about complaining people?
This is a thing that promotes a good discussion, in your opinion?
You think that if you'll be shouting more they'll apologise to no end, like with DAII, like you said, you'll be happy? You think the more you shout and the longer wall of texts you'll produce, they will start caring, finally?
So basically you just want to see people grovel? Is this a schadenfreude thing?
Yes, that's a very good discussion indeed.
See, I didn't like the ending either. I don't like it still. It's a very poor way of ending the story. But it's not the first or the last game that had a bad ending and the amount of vitriol it gets three quarters of the year after the release is just ridiculous. Top it off with people acting like their whole world has ended. That's not mature. But mostly, getting hung up over just a videogame is not healthy.
This is the first time I actually let my frustration bubble over and I commented how this whole mess is annoying to me.
You jumped on the chance and are trying to provoke me into an argument. It sort of worked, I guess, but, eh. I still really don't care about the issue anymore. You'll get all preachy on me anyway, and write another War and Peace and I will still be annoyed that you did, because you are not saying anything new.
Please, just find another person to unload your frustration on.

codeg

Apr 23, 2011
Well I'll be surprised if this doesn't confirm the Indotrination Theory, surprised and very disapointed...