BioWare: Mass Effect 3 Combat Perfected

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Ugh, I think I'm going to stay away from the forums section of ME3 news from now on.

So many bile spewing, self entitled, RPG purists...
This. God, this. If I were Bioware, I would make it so you could collect handles, barrels, scopes, triggers, trigger guards, inner workings, muzzles and texture materials for the guns, as well as separate armor for all 10 of your toes and fingers, arms, legs, head, ass, kidney, neck and genital area. In addition, you would have skill trees for everyday tasks, such as using elevators, breathing, going to the toilet and walking. And you would have a stat for each such skill. Combat would now take place in large, complex space fortresses that oddly never have any cover whatsoever, only a flat surface. Whenever you pull the trigger, you see a d20 roll on the right side of the screen and add your relevant modifiers. If you fail the roll, you miss, even at point blank range. The companions will spout their life stories at a moment's notice, and all the side quests you can do for them add up to a separate game for each companion, called [Name] Effect. Meanwhile, shepard can now undergo extensive reconstructive surgery to become any alien race from hanar to elcor to asari.

And still the rpg fans will call it 'dumbed down for the console tards'

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
The.Bard said:
If this is the case, I would casually suggest that visiting threads about ME3 is a poor place for you to park yourself. I myself am looking quite forward to Mass Effect 3, a brilliant RPG shooter. Oh, wait, I just... oops. I won't mention it's RPGiness again. Except to say it's an RPG. Oh, crud, I did it again, dang me and my RPG loving... ARGH! I just can't say RPG without talking about RPG Effect 3, errr, no, I mean Mass Effect RPG. Crud. Mass-R P-Effect G3?
I know you meant to be snarky and probably somewhat offensive, but I'm man enough to say this made me laugh a bit. Genuinely. XD
Now, seriously though, I am looking forward to ME3 and so of course I'd visit threads on the game. Never said I wasn't going to buy it. Just ranted about how it clearly isn't an RPG anymore. RPG in genre, not textbook definition.
_Also, just because they didn't specifically say it, that doesn't mean they didn't say it here. In more words than one, Bioware has admitted to caring more about making a game initially meant to be an RPG shooter hybrid, into a full on shooter. Read their quotes on this again and tell me they aren't telling everyone ME3 is a shooter. Flat out? No, because that's how you leave pseudo wiggle room when those who were hoping for more RPG elements start to fire back. But they certainly are not hiding it's real genre.

Also, the ladders thing you mentioned would be interesting to me:
The.Bard said:
I also get the impression he was referring to multiple paths and high/low tiers, not the actual addition of ladders. But that's me extrapolating. A dangerous past-time (I know!)
Bit much with the "dangerous past-time" there, mate. I never implied inferring about something was a bad thing. o_O
Anyway, your interesting idea is not the case, since the article states:
"...Ladders providing access to multi-leveled areas..."
You might be reading more into this than what's actually being said. If it turns out you aren't when actual game footage comes out, I will be wrong and VERY happy. Until then...
...And yes, you were right, the quotes above don't show bragging about ladders. Must've been how the article set it up. I'll concede on that one.

Mate, in the end, I want ME3. Bad. Love Tali, Garrus and Jack. But I want people to stop calling it an RPG just as bad. It's not. ME2 didn't deserve RPG of the year, and ME3 sure as hell doesn't either. Shooter of the year? HELL YES (maybe, yet to see ME3)! Put it in it's genre, especially so that others who badmouth JRPGs and RPGs don't end up looking stupid by bringing up ME in such an argument.
Just a change in definition is all I'm asking now. I get Bioware thinks Call of Duty is an RPG. I just want real RPGs to get the respect they deserve and not get compared to games which should be in another genre. I'd also like to not play the same game over and over (Call of Gear of Effect 2), but in this industry that's probably asking too much (gunplay wise, of course).

masonfr8kr

Aug 10, 2009
Personally I played ME2 before I ever played ME1. I recently just got the first one because I wanted to see how things could turn out differently if I handled certain things in the first game differently. The inventory screen, less combat-effective biotics, and the different ammo system were a pain at first but after a while it became interesting and fun trying to tweak guns and armor to be more effective against certain enemies and as Shepherd went further and further along on his mission and became more proficient I felt a sense of accomplishment that I had sculpted him into the best warrior I could. When i started playing the same character in ME2 it was a bit uncomfortable how estranged I had become from the ME2 combat system. Sticking to walls like I had velcro on my back and crouching behind chest high walls as my sniper ammo dwindled quickly seemed like a stop backwards. My only wish for ME3 is for the two styles to meet in a happy middle zone but that seems a bit far fetched after seeing what Bioware plans to do with the series. I just hope they know that a game doesn't have to be a Gears of War style shooter just to sell games.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I broke down and cried after reading this.

Call of Duty and Bulletstorm are both incredibly mediocre games. Apart from that it's not even your genre, you make action RPG's, they make shit (I mean really bad First Person Shooters).

Look Bioware if you want to match the sales figures of shitty shitty games like CoD or Gears of War than take out the dry humping and put the sex back in your games, and focus on what you're good at, the writing!

Please your games are the only beacon of hope in my dim pointless miserable existence, I even for gave you for Dragon Age 2 being buggier than that jar of ladybugs I bought at the nursery, so please for the love of all things good and right! Don't do this. It's never too late to un-sellout.

Apr 28, 2008
believer258 said:
Before I say this, everyone's entitled to their opinion. If you liked ME1 better in every way, that's perfectly alright.

However, I want to know how starting with ass-backwards guns is fun. I can understand starting with very little health and crappy biotics, but starting with guns that can hit everything except what you're aiming for is fun. It's actually quite annoying. Granted, you do have allies but they're almost as ass-backwards as the starting guns, and that doesn't level up. I understand that this isn't a shooter, and that's fine, but leveling up should have allowed you a greater selection of weapons with which to decimate the opposition, not to make your assault rifle 10% less ass. I see no reason why that would be fun in any RPG pretending to be a shooter, or shooter pretending to be an RPG. It just doesn't sound like a good idea.

I'll agree that ME2 started off more along the lines of Gears of War, but you still got different things. You got different guns and you leveled up and you had points to spend on stuff, which is very different from Gears of War in which leveling up comes from the skill and intelligence and wisdom you gain from progressing forward (i.e., you make dumbass mistakes at first and get wiser as the game goes on.

As for the infinite ammo vs. limited ammo argument - I was more bothered by the long time I had to wait for the gun overheating to go down than I was for the two-second reload time. However, neither bothered me much. Bioware's reason for this was that it reduced the time you had to wait for cooldown, but I don't buy that because if thermal clips were more efficient, then why the hell didn't they keep them in the first game?

Finally, I think ME3 is going to be a shooter with some true RPG elements (a good story that changes with your options, experience points, etc.) but the "shooter" part is definitely going to ring true throughout the game.

It will be welcome in my library.
With the guns, if you fired from cover, and in bursts, your guns were accurate enough to get the job done. If you were running around holding down the trigger, of course your shots are going to go everywhere. But they still go inside the reticle. Again, if you just took your time with your shots, and didn't hold down the trigger and fire everywhere, you'd do fine. And you do get a greater selection of weapons as you level up. Both from finding them on enemies and buying them.

And yes, you did get different things in ME2, but they weren't really better then your standard gear. They were essentially sidegrades, rather then upgrades. Which is not a bad thing, but you still don't improve your armor or weapons that much. You just pick a gun for your playstyle, and use it throughout the whole game without changing it, or getting a better version, or anything like that.

And its pretty hard to make mistakes with the leveling system or the gameplay. It was simplified so much that the only mistake you could make is just not leveling up. As for the gameplay, the biggest mistake you could make with it is to not get in cover.

As for the reloading, all they had to do is lower the time it takes for a weapon to cool off, or let us press a button to make it cool down faster.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Why are people getting so goddamn pissed off at the fact that it's becoming more of a shooter than an RPG? So fucking what? What's so wrong with shooters?

Mass Effect 3 is going to be fucking awesome and if you disagree you can go fuck yourself.

/rant

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I missed the loot system in Mass Effect 1 with the guns and armor.

2 made the visceral combat a little more appealing, but (and I hate to say it), the 2nd's combat felt dumbed down to me.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
Aw bless, so many people who think that having a playable combat system stops a game from being an RPG.

I hope they keep the vast majority of ME2 changes, but restore some (just some!!) of the ME1 aspects. The weapons themselves were a vast improvement. Some people seem to think that you actually had a choice in ME1. You did not. You chose the one with the biggest numbers. In ME2 you could choose strategically from weapons with very different aspects.

I want them to restore the old 'upgrade' system, choosing weapon mods and ammo, whilst keeping the actual weapon system from 2. Merge the overheat and heat clip system, so you have a limited number of heat sinks, adaptable across all weapons, but they cool down when not in use. Make armour more selective instead of the 'one size fits all' of ME2: biotic barriers stop biotic attacks but not tech. Vice versa with shields. Armour reduces damage but can't be 'broken'.

The multiple levels thing sounds really interesting, as long as there aren't huge pauses to climb ladders!

Bioware have been...iffy... recently, but I hope ME3 makes up for it all. Their reputation is going to depend upon it!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I love the QQ from the fans. "Bioware is dead! They BETRAYED us!" God, they all sound like a bunch of children. "I don't like what they're doing, and anyone who does is an idiot who can't appreciate a REAL RPG!"

Dracain

Mar 12, 2008
masonfr8kr said:
Personally I played ME2 before I ever played ME1. I recently just got the first one because I wanted to see how things could turn out differently if I handled certain things in the first game differently. The inventory screen, less combat-effective biotics, and the different ammo system were a pain at first but after a while it became interesting and fun trying to tweak guns and armor to be more effective against certain enemies and as Shepherd went further and further along on his mission and became more proficient I felt a sense of accomplishment that I had sculpted him into the best warrior I could. When i started playing the same character in ME2 it was a bit uncomfortable how estranged I had become from the ME2 combat system. Sticking to walls like I had velcro on my back and crouching behind chest high walls as my sniper ammo dwindled quickly seemed like a stop backwards. My only wish for ME3 is for the two styles to meet in a happy middle zone but that seems a bit far fetched after seeing what Bioware plans to do with the series. I just hope they know that a game doesn't have to be a Gears of War style shooter just to sell games.
I could not agree more, though I must say that the comparison to Bulletstorm and CoD worries me. Honestly though, I would just appreciate not having all my powers on the same cooldown. Oh, and making later difficulties a tad more doable as a biotic, yes I know it's doable, but all the resistances are insane (no pun intended). Really, I just hope for different cooldowns on power though, that would make my day.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I can hear it now "Wahhhh, games not an RPG anymore since it has better shooter elements, wahhhh" dumb idiots

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Ian Caronia said:
I know you meant to be snarky and probably somewhat offensive, but I'm man enough to say this made me laugh a bit. Genuinely. XD
I'm glad. I usually approach Hulk Rages w/ a sure-fire litmus test of humor: if you respond angrily, then you're probably not worth discussing anything with. If you laugh, it means you're level headed enough to talk to. 'Grats on passing! XD

Now, seriously though, I am looking forward to ME3 and so of course I'd visit threads on the game. Never said I wasn't going to buy it. Just ranted about how it clearly isn't an RPG anymore. RPG in genre, not textbook definition.
The one thing that always confuses me is why people need to categorize and break it down so finitely. I made a joke in someone else's comments about trees. Redwoods are trees. Palm trees are trees. But the two don't have a lot in common on the surface. Mass Effect is not a prototypical RPG. But I don't see why its existence as an RPG just drives some people up the wall.

Especially when you consider this is where Bioware was going from ME1. They didn't really veer sideways out of the blue for the 2nd one. They just were not very good at making shooters when the first one came out.

Read their quotes on this again and tell me they aren't telling everyone ME3 is a shooter. Flat out? No, because that's how you leave pseudo wiggle room when those who were hoping for more RPG elements start to fire back. But they certainly are not hiding it's real genre.
Again... who cares? I thought ME2 was a brilliant RPG, and until they prove me wrong, I'm going to assume that ME3 will continue to have best of breed shooter and RPG hybrid mechanics.

I will agree that Mass Effect isn't "your daddy's RPG", but the need everyone has on both sides to shove it into the correct little box is just baffling. Is it a competent game? Is it well made? These are the things I care about, not which bucket it gets dumped into.

The.Bard said:
I also get the impression he was referring to multiple paths and high/low tiers, not the actual addition of ladders. But that's me extrapolating. A dangerous past-time (I know!)

Bit much with the "dangerous past-time" there, mate. I never implied inferring about something was a bad thing. o_O
I was quoting Disney's Beauty & the Beast... you can't call something a dangerous past-time without adding "I know!" ;)

Anyway, your interesting idea is not the case, since the article states:
"...Ladders providing access to multi-leveled areas..."
It's funny, when I posted my last comment I thought I might not have explained myself well, and it looks like I didn't. I wasn't trying to infer that he said there wouldn't be ladders. I was trying to say that I didn't think he was mentioning ladders as the end-all be-all, but more of the idea that adding things like ladders mean terrain could play a more strategic (and hopefully more expansive) role in combat.

Mate, in the end, I want ME3. Bad. Love Tali, Garrus and Jack. But I want people to stop calling it an RPG just as bad. It's not. ME2 didn't deserve RPG of the year, and ME3 sure as hell doesn't either. Shooter of the year? HELL YES (maybe, yet to see ME3)! Put it in it's genre, especially so that others who badmouth JRPGs and RPGs don't end up looking stupid by bringing up ME in such an argument.
Who cares? As much as you say it isn't an RPG, I say it is. Does that take anything away from it? No. It just means you define an RPG differently than what Mass Effect provides. It isn't wrong, per se, but I think in general, the negative bashing that comes with ranting at it supposedly not being an RPG is tiresome at best, and petulant at worst.

Mass Effect is unlike any other game I've played. I wouldn't want it to be like a Call of Duty shooter anymore than I would want it to be like a by-the-numbers RPG like Baldur's Gate. People just need to chill and love the Mass Effect for what it is.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Puzzlenaut said:
Now you see, combat in a shooter can never be perfected until there is NO. GODDAMN. COVER. BASED. SHOOTING!!! (or third person view). The only non-platformer shooter I consider to have truly good combat with either (or in this case, both) of the aforementioned mechanics is Gears of War.

Mass Effect has awful, tedious and extremely easy combat (even on the hardest setting) and when it isn't ridiculously easy, its just frustrating and stupid because you can be clever about how you do it -- there are no vantage points or tactically advantageous positions -- just cover.
Popping in and out of cover. for 5-8 hours. with occasional breaks for cutscenes.
Why do game developers think it is fun? WHY?

...God, Mass Effect is overrated.

/rage
/liked
I agree Mass Effect is so overrated while being a poor Gears of War clone

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
The powers like biotics and tech skills in combat were only improved from the first to second. I actually used them in the second one because in the first they were more hassle than fun.

But I heard somewhere that they're bringing back some customization for the weapons like barrels and maybe even ammo back to an attachment. I did like ME1's version of gun customization better. If they can strike a balance between the pages of inventory of duplicate items in ME1 and the single weapon, linear upgrade 1 -> upgrade 2 for all weapons in ME2 I will be a most happy camper.

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
I just hope it's actually a happy medium and not one of those "we went to the middle, and it just kind of feels like we threw a bunch of stuff together and called it a game".

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
They better not skimp on the RPG elements while trying to make this into a shooter... or even I won't be able to forgive Bioware for that. >_<

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Irridium said:
Yeah, not exactly looking forward to it.

In ME2, you were just as accurate and your guns were just as strong at the end as they were at the beginning. You did not get more accurate, your guns didn't get stronger, they stayed the same from beginning to end. There was no sense of progression, no sense of getting stronger. Yeah you got a couple of new guns/powers to play around with, but they didn't really change up combat. Like, at all. You still stayed behind cover and shot dudes who poked their heads out(or casted your powers, depending on your class). The only two classes that were fun to play were Vanguard(who can charge everywhere) and the Infiltrator class(can turn invisible). And even then it was still pretty "meh".

In Mass Effect 1, you start out with ass guns, ass stats, ass armor, and pretty much just ass everything. But as you progress, you get better. Your weapons get better. Your skills get better. Your team gets better. You have an actual sense of progression. At the start I had to fire in bursts and couldn't cast much powers. By the end I could fire for 2 minutes without the gun overheating(not counting the "overload" power, which boosts accuracy/lowers heating up even more), my guns were super-accurate, I had such beefy armor I was like a tank. I went from "standard soldier" to "uber-badass". And it was great.

You also learn how the combat works. At the start you'll fumble around, but then you'll learn it. Learn when to use your powers, when take your shots, everything. You get better, Shepard gets better, you both get better at the same time and it just gives a sense of immersion that no other game has ever given me. Most people try to play Mass Effect 1 as a straight up shooter. Casting powers all at once, running in, ect. and I think thats why there was so much hate for it.

Mass Effect 1 is not a shooter. It is an RPG(although that in itself is debatable) with shooter elements. If you play it as a tactical RPG, pausing while playing, issuing orders, managing powers, ect. the game's combat gets great, fun, and interesting.

In ME2 you start out as "so-so badass" and just stay that way through the whole game. You don't get better, don't get more accurate, don't improve your guns(all the guns are basically side-grades instead of upgrades). There just isn't any sense of progression. Yeah you level up and get a bit more powers, but they all have the same cooldown for some stupid reason, so you'll cast one, then wait for everything to recharge, and then do it again. Its boring.

Again, ME1 is not a shooter. If you don't like that, then guess what? The game is not for you. This is not a bad thing, it just means this game is not for you.

ME2 is a shooter. I guess it would be an action adventure, since it has essentially no role-playing. Same with Mass Effect 1, only ME1 is just adventure with shooter elements. Again, ME2 being more shooter-like isn't bad per-say, its just boring as hell to me.

Also ME1 had infinite ammo. And no matter how you say it, I don't see how going from unlimited ammo to limited ammo is an upgrade. Especially if you like sniping, in which case you'll be running out of ammo very quickly and have to just go up the front lines and fight Gears of War style anyway. Or sit in an area where the ammo things constantly respawn, which completely undermines the new ammo mechanic.

And another thing, I seem to be one of the very few people who think naturally moving in/out of cover is better then pressing A to stick yourself to a wall. In ME1 if you want to take cover you go up to a wall, and Shepard automatically gets into cover. In ME2 you have to tell him to do it. I guess TIM didn't fully repair his brain if he doesn't have the sense to get into cover when getting shot.

And that is why I liked ME1's combat much more than ME2's. Hopefully ME3 brings back the sense of progression, but from what I hear I doubt it.
Yeah. Looks like they will just build on 2's. Playing a sniper will be frustrating once again. Seriously, one round a clip when you pick one up? Who designed that?

Hairetos

Jul 5, 2010
So they're most proud of the combat system of their shooter-RPG?

Well, I just lowered my expectations a couple dozen pegs. It wasn't fucking broken after ME2, so...

Dusk17

Jul 30, 2010
Its not like they could do any worse than the first mass effect's combat system.