Bisexuality doesn't exist

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
/facedesk /facedesk /facedesk

Sexuality is not black and white. It is a sliding scale.

WHEN WILL PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS?

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
Wow, those people are annoying. Not as annoying as the "Hey, hey, hey, look at me I'm bisexual, pay attention to me!" people. They have no idea how screwed up actually coming out is. They can go... Well, it wouldn't be polite to say it.

Thaa'ir

Feb 10, 2011
My last boyfriend claimed to be bisexual but I just stared him down and said "you're gay." I believe strongly that bisexuality exists...but he NEVER showed even the remotest interest in women. He later was like "I just wanted to give my dad hope."

But yeah, ashes to everyone else; you know who you are. Just shut your friends up. It doesn't matter what they think so much as they stop blabbing about things they don't understand.

moretwocents

Jan 20, 2011
It's been a day-by-day struggle with my sexuality. Some days I feel aroused and interested in women. Other days, I feel the same way about men, sometimes more so than with women. It can be a painful and excruciating process when you don't even know who to ask out because you could wake up tomorrow and be interested in the opposite gender. I don't feel that I'm bisexual because I'm not into men and women at the same time, just different times. I don't know if there's any other way to describe it other than "undecided", which is something not even my parents have accepted as an excuse to be single.

I'm sure, because I've had such an experience, that bisexuality exists. I do not think it's weird. I do not think homosexuals are weird. I think people are weird for thinking homosexuals and bisexuals are weird. The things is, people have this image of "Normality" in their heads, and if anything differs from their image, they either deny its existence or simply hate it and make fun of it.

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
Well, that's pretty much how the majority of people work.

They have to have everything in the world in pure black and white terms or they get confused and angry.

Same thing tends to happen with something as simple as an opinion about a piece of entertainment.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
I am a practicing bisexual. I generally prefer women but men dont bother me and some i find very attractive. An practicing i dont mean oh i would do i mean i have.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
I must admit I tend to see sexuality more as 2 scales not 1.

For simplicity both are 0-10, and there iss one for each sex 0 is don't fancy at all, 10 is will find pretty much anyone of that gender attractive baring serious deformation. I'm not convinced that many 0s or 10s exist, even if people don't realise it. Admitidly this doesnt include transexuals though i beleive thats more of personal identification than a sexuality, a what you are, rather than who you find attractive.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Floppertje said:
how the hell would I know? I'm straight as a line, I don't know what other people are feeling. but for what it's worth: if someone says they're bisexual and they're not a 15 year old schoolgirl who thinks it's cool to be bi, I believe them. why wouldn't I? After all, I find the idea of having sex with a dude rather repulsive and I'm sure gay guys would find the idea of sex with a woman yucky. So why would someone who genuinely dislikes having sex with women date them if they're already 'out'?
This guy. I am bisexual, and I have not heard a sounder argument for the existence of bisexuality.

Of course, it needs to be taken into account what people mean by "gay" and "straight", whether they subscribe to the idea that there are distinct categories or the idea that sexuality is a spectrum (the former will quite often deny the existence of bisexuality and the latter will often deny the existence of "pure" straights or "pure" gays.) However, when faced with the former, Floppertje has come up with the most succinct counter argument.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
As far as I know, heterosexuality is bullshit. People just have different standards, and it turns out (maybe due to societal pressures, maybe not) that for most people that standard includes the lack or absence of a penis.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
guntotingtomcat said:
Sexuality doesn't exist. We're attracted to people, not genders.
Anyone I've ever been attracted to was a girl. I've never been attracted to someone who is of my gender....

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
Char-Nobyl said:
Well...yeah. That was the point. I did intend to highlight it, because I was citing it as a real and unfortunate reason for the creation of a damaging stereotype. Because he's a guy, he just as the 'luck' that he doesn't have to deal with that, too.
Yeah, sorry about misphrasing that. I understood what you meant by mentioning it, I should have said that I'm sure you don't actually believe in that stereotype yourself.

Char-Nobyl said:
Guys being considered the be 'on the fence' is a different issue than girls being considered, for lack of a better term, 'college lesbians.' They're both damaging in their own way.
Again I need to apologise for my total lack of clarity, I agree that there is a clear difference between the 'college lesbian' and 'on the fence guy' issues. The reason why I brought in the 'on the fence' issue was because I broadened what I was commenting on to include the idea of girls not deciding yet. In my experience, whilst it is an issue and a stereotype in its own right the 'college lesbian' idea compounds it, as some people tend to have that in mind when playing the 'you haven't decided yet' card, the implication being that people will 'return' to heterosexuality after shallow experimentation. Basically, that the 'college lesbian' image reflects and has influenced the implicit heteronormative bias usually present behind that argument.

Char-Nobyl said:
Part of the problem is that it isn't so much a stereotype as it is a mislabeling, and then a stereotype by association. Same reason for the stereotype about gays being promiscuous: you see the ones that are, and you don't see the ones that aren't, both for obvious reasons. Most gay guys I know are the sort that you'd only realize are gay through conversation, probably around the point they mention having a boyfriend, and the lack of parts where they mention liking sex with ladies.
Agree with all of this, hence my rephrasing of my previous statement. I don't think I've ever met someone who has discovered their sexual orientation by getting drunk and having a fling, and it would be great if more people realised that most people realised that for most members sexual and gender orientation minorities their experience is much more complex than that. However, this seems so difficult to achieve without people broadcasting their sexuality, which somewhat defeats the point.

Char-Nobyl said:
Yep. It seems like a really obvious lesson to be learned, but a lot of people don't really acknowledge that the application of stereotypes is, by nature, damaging. Ironically, it's just sort of assumed to be a bad thing that only happens with other people.
Definitely. There are so many classic examples of this in consciousness-raising scenarios when just don't realise the impact of their words or phrasing and how alienating that can be to other people who aren't members of their particular 'in-group'. Basically, I couldn't agree more.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
moretwocents said:
It's been a day-by-day struggle with my sexuality. Some days I feel aroused and interested in women. Other days, I feel the same way about men, sometimes more so than with women. It can be a painful and excruciating process when you don't even know who to ask out because you could wake up tomorrow and be interested in the opposite gender. I don't feel that I'm bisexual because I'm not into men and women at the same time, just different times. I don't know if there's any other way to describe it other than "undecided", which is something not even my parents have accepted as an excuse to be single.

I'm sure, because I've had such an experience, that bisexuality exists. I do not think it's weird. I do not think homosexuals are weird. I think people are weird for thinking homosexuals and bisexuals are weird. The things is, people have this image of "Normality" in their heads, and if anything differs from their image, they either deny its existence or simply hate it and make fun of it.
Generally relationships last longer than a couple days. If your preference changes frequently, on the days it doesn't match up with your partner, you don't have to have sexual relations. Part of having a healthy relationship is just being there for one another, being pals and whatnot. I get not wanting to commit for fear of hurting their feelings if you do end up settling into a particular sexuality and it doesn't match up with them, but while this period of flip-flopping lasts, experiencing a relationship shouldn't be something you rule out.

Also, on a side note, the longer you're with someone sexually, the more they turn you on when you normally wouldn't be turned on. So maybe even if you continue this changing of preferences, this tendency may even override the changes. That being said, your mileage may vary. It might be that you're happiest not having committed relationships, and in this day and age, I think that's perfectly fine too. :D

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Batou667 said:

You see this bicycle? It doesn't exist. It's actually a greedy and indecisive unicycle. Or perhaps it's a tricycle in denial.

But it sure as hell isn't a bicycle.
+1 Internets to you good sir.

Honestly, the vast majority of people you'll meet in life are idiots, so I wouldn't let it remotely bother you. Until they start throwing bricks. Then it's assault rifle time.

MordinSolus

Feb 10, 2011
Furioso said:
As dumb as it is, that's just how we think these days, if a girl says she is bisexual then its hot, but if a guy says it suddenly he's just gay, no excuses
Yep. Society can suck sometimes. Just ask some of my friends in the same situation as the OP.

Meg Galuardi

Jan 30, 2011
I personally am of the opinion that sexuality doesn't truly exist, and that every person has the potential to like a male or female, and that its certain personality traits and features of appearance that appeal to people. This does create the situation that people will tend to be attracted to a certain gender, because males and females do tend to have certain unique traits. I think that the term pansexual is more accurate anyway, because often times you have to wonder how transgenders fit in. (Ex, a biological girl who is trans and tends to prefer women may not be preferred by a woman who identifies herself as straight)

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
I am a straight female, I get along very well with guys, a lot more than girls because I'm a tomboy and I enjoy more things meant for guys than girl stuff. I hate make up, feminine clothing, jewelry, etc. The thought of being with a woman is not repulsive to me, it's just something that I wouldn't venture into since they're not attractive at all in my mind.

That is my sexuality and I'm sticking to it, I've had friends who are gay or bi and I don't mind at all, it does exist, nothing is impossible or nonexistent in that way. You are who you are and as long as you're not a jerk or fake it to get attention, I accept you.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
I'm tired of hearing the same crap too, and I'm also bi. Granted I'm on the female end of the spectrum which people seem to accept more than a guy being bisexual... Gotta love the double standards right?