Bisexual's Don't Exist So... I'm Not Real? Damn....

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I've been reading around recently about my orientation in order to see if there are any support networks, legal protections in the workplace, etc, for bisexual peoples like myself. It turns out that there are indeed such things.

However I also came across an unsettling and frustrating amount of articles claiming that bisexuality is not a thing and that it's "a phase" or "a lie", especially with regards to male bisexuals. Perhaps in some situations this is true, but surely in the majority of cases it isn't?

I don't know about others since I've only ever met two other bisexual men and I never bothered to enquire, but there must be men out there other than me that are indifferent to gender when it comes to sexual desires? Are there any here on the escapist?

It may not necessarily be equal attraction to both, which is a fallacy, I'm 100% attracted to any gender if they're visually appealing and have a personality that doesn't make me want to summon darklings to rend their head from their shoulders.

Such articles can be found via google, I won't bother to link them here.

What do you guys think? Am I alone? Am I really the only actual bisexual man?

Why would anybody lie about such a thing? I personally came out as bisexual because I am, in addition to the typical homophobia I also received extra bullshit at school for being bisexual specifically, often accusations of greed. That extra stuff has made me unable to really sustain relationships from fear of familial and social rejection, I've also had a situation with my current long term girlfriend partner where she accused me of wanting her to be a man because I said I didn't care if she waxed her underarms when she asked. Thoughts/opinions on this? Similar experiences?

[small]I'm really sorry for creating a gender thread when we'd started to really get past feminism, sexism, etc, but this struck me as particularly appalling and made me feel rather isolated[/small]

Edit: I am aware that sexuality varies over time and changes as we age and learn, I am also twenty something but I've had enough relationships to know that I don't give a fuck about the gender of y partner. A personality is more important and I enjoy the sex either way.

Also, bisexuals find partners the same as everyone else, we just have a wider pool to choose from... Thanks to the guy who already explained that somewhere on page 4, sorry I forgot your name, kinda replying to a bazillion things at once.

[small]People are talking to me again! :D[/small]

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
In my book I don't give a shit if you're bisexual, gay, straight, or asexual. That's none of my business. Frankly it shouldn't be anyones business unless it's in the dating and relationship scene. For your partner you need to talk to her about this. Communication is alway key. She needs to be comfortable with the fact that your bisexual. You're going to have to work out the kinks together. As for the articles don't pay attention to them. The writers have their head so far up their ass that they are two inches away from collapsing into a black hole.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
As for the articles don't pay attention to them. The writers have their head so far up their ass that they are two inches away from collapsing into a black hole.
THIS.
just don't think much of articles like that. any a$$hole can type up garbage and post it somewhere on the internet. You aren't alone either, not even close :p

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
hahahaha that happens to bisexual women, too. They're either lesbians or "experimenting" or "doing it for attention" -eyeroll-. Anyone who believes that bisexuality doesn't actually exist is an absolute moron and deserves to be defenestrated out of the nearest tall building.

No similar experiences for me, for I am in the heterosexual camp, although if you don't word your lack of interest in the dating scene just right, everyone assumes you're a lesbian and spreads it around school. Not in a "hey, Sol's a lesbian" way, in the "ew Sol's a lesbian gawd what a freak" way. I fucking hated junior high. /rant

Don't worry about it too much, just do what makes you happy :)

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
This is the internet.

There are several articles floating around claiming that the earth is in fact a cube.

There are hundreds of articles claiming we're ruled by reptilians and that some magical planet is going to collide with earth and shatter it in under a month.

And these people aren't exactly lying. They're just people. People have a tendency of holding opinions about things they haven't the faintest idea about purely based on what their friend's brother's wife's cousin once said. And then going on the internet and writing elaborate articles or judging those around them based on that.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Bisexual guy here, well technically not. But say bi because it is much easier than explaining my unique sexual attractions. Essentially is that male, female, and anywhere in between are all fine for me. I care more about personality for the most part. Couldn't care less about what bits you do or don't have.

But as for the article you found, I have heard that a few times. It does have some basis in reality though. Many gay men started out as bisexual around the time they "came out" and then transitioned to fully gay. Or many people identify as bi, only to find out they aren't as much into guys as they thought.

EDIT: Yes I am aware of Pansexual. It does not fit as pansexuality implies that you find literally everything attractive.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Strange, I've read articles which state that a significant portion of straight people are actually partly bi, indicating that sexuality isn't just a switch, but rather an individual scale. I'm not arguing with you, just throwing that out there.

And personally, I don't care. It's none of my business what other people find attractive, if it works for you, then fine by me.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
You're not bisexual, you're just a little bicurious!

Seriously though, society has just caught up to the idea that some people are gay and there isn't anything wrong with that. The 'you're either gay or straight' thing has been hammered home through social engineering over the last two or three decades, so no one really knows what to expect when young people today start growing up 'bi'.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
I'm a bisexual/pansexual male with a preference for females. One of my sayings is "I like chicks, but also dicks, sometimes dicks on chicks." Basically I don't care what's in your pants if you're attractive to me I'll bang you.

You would be surprised how many bi/gay guys there are, they're just not that open about it (I'm not that open about it my self as I don't see the point of just up and declaring it, but if the topic comes up I let people know that I'm not actually 100% straight). Seriously I've had a bunch of conversations of "Wait you're bi? HOLY SHIT SO AM I!"

Now tell me about these legal protections in the workplace...

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Bisexual? I'm Omnisexual. I screw anything with two legs. And some with more.
Just legs? What about fins? Or tentacles? Don't be racist man :(
For those without a sense of humour: I'm kidding.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
I can find you shit on the internet explaining that the planet is flat. Or actually still a sphere, but actually hollow, and we all live inside it with the sun in the centre. Or that every day is actually four separate days running concurrently. And there are way too many Youtube videos non-ironically alleging that Barack Obama is a Secret Gay.

Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
SkarKrow said:
I've also had a situation with my current long term girlfriend partner where she accused me of wanting her to be a man because I said I didn't care if she waxed her underarms when she asked. Thoughts/opinions on this? Similar experiences?
The term "partner" strikes me the wrong way. I find it akin to people who use the word "modifier" in a grammatical sense. That aside, did she ever think you might just be into women with body hair?
[small]I'm really sorry for creating a gender thread when we'd started to really get past feminism, sexism, etc, but this struck me as particularly appalling and made me feel rather isolated[/small]
This is why we can't have nice things.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
RandV80 said:
You're not bisexual, you're just a little bicurious!
wait a minute doesn't that mean he wants a Harley?

Anywho what was I thinking? oh yeah, ONE OR THE OTHER MOTHAFUCKA, YOU WILL CHOOSE! grr, grr, foam, foam. Yeah it's complete bullshit; I get the same thing for being Asexual, but it's the way of the world. People are going to claim things that are way outside of their purview thinking that they are modern day sages, the best that you can do is teach those who'll listen and and ignore those who refuse.

linkmastr001

May 22, 2009
Frankly, I could care less about someone's sexual orientation, so as far as I'm concerned you're a normal human being.

As far as being the only bisexual guy, I know my friend is a bisexual guy (as he has dated a guy and a girl), so you aren't alone in that.

saintdane05 said:
Bisexual? I'm Omnisexual. I screw anything with two legs. And some with more.
Captain Jack??

II2

Mar 13, 2010
People who have spent a lot of time and effort studying this (to my mind a bit rediculous) subject concur that 50/50 equal attraction bisexuals are EXTREMELY rare and that most practicing bisexuals have an uneven intrinsic sexual favoritism, despite authentic attraction to both sexes.

Yes, bisexuals exist. "True" 50/50 equal attraction bisexuals are statistically anomalous and uncommon.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Well, you know what they say. Some people just look at their easy life in in groups that don't suffer from any discrimination and think that actually they'd quite prefer the challenge, which is why some people choose to be gay or bi. Those people are of course wrong on so many levels that I can't begin to describe. I mean, then surely you wouldn't get black gays, unless that's like legendary difficulty.

But I digress. Anyway, those writers are part of that group, the group of people that are wrong. I don't know, maybe they knew someone who just came out as bi in school then it turned out they just did it to be different as part of their attention seeking nature. Although that is definitely a thing, it is by no means representative of the bisexual community, I mean there's a whole B in LGBT(I think there also might be a Q?) for you guys. Don't worry, there are support communities all over the shop. If people have an issue with you being bi, that's their issue. And remember, it isn't just a slogan, it does get better.

Draken Steel

May 15, 2009
One of my friends is bi, when he came out to his family his mom told him that bisexuals dont exist, and that he either likes one or the other. to his face. 0.o I think she came around eventually but...yea... like does she seriously think hes just making stuff up solely to spite her?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
If people identify themselves as bisexual and have attractions of a bisexual nature, then it certainly does exist.

Batsamaritan said:
I find labels like gay, straight and bisexual irrelevent. In the 21st century you like who you like and so long as their of the legal age it shouldent matter what gender they are.

I seem to have my PC hat on today, weird!
As the old saying goes it, "we don't care where you stick it, as long as it's not in minors or livestock" :p

Though I don't see this phrase catching on with the PC crowd though...