Blizzad reveals new characters for Overwatch

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
Haerthan said:
inmunitas said:
Still skimpy outfits and really annoying physics for Dead or Alive.
America isn't based on how it is portrayed in the media, it is a freaking parody of the American dream and the Californian lifestyle. Yay one game in the series totally demolishes my argument. No it doesn't, as there is still the remaining issues with the other. Again ONE EXAMPLE doesnt erase the overwhelming majority.

Assassin's Creed and historic settings have never meshed properly in my eyes. I mean come the fuck on "First Civilization enslaves humans and we rise up and defeat a superior civilization"? That is even worse than the American myths regarding their War of Independence, fighting the English single-handedly. The only Assassin's Creed even remotely historic was the first one. Before they lumped in the whole BS about Minerva/Juno/whatever the fuck they are called and even that has issues with regards . If you take a look at European history you will see that women did have rights (granted not compared to what we have today in Europe and the West) and some were able to get power and some even lead armies. But hey "historical setting" in case of gaming is just a byword for "I want games to pander just to me, so I want grizzled white males gargling rocks with a submissive female clinging to his thigh".

Have we learned nothing from the idea of absolute statements? If we look at historical studies, the ideas that spawned from the 19th century are all wrong. Europe was in contact with the Ottoman Empire, which spanned from south of the Danube, to Poland and Austria (minus the Romanian countries of Muntenia and Moldova as they were vassal states after 1601) to the borders of Ethiopia. Borders were far more fluid back then today, so the idea of controlling borders with absolutely NO LEAK whatsoever has always been BS. Globalization has been a force since the late freaking 15th century, when the first colonial empires rose. Hell America is learning that the hard way right now (well past 15 years anyways). SO black people were present in Europe, as traders and soldiers. Again there are enough historical records of women achieving power in the West to put to rest the idea of women having no rights. Same with art and sexuality.

And in Warhammer 40k yes they are human, since they were born human. Their augmentations happen when they are teenagers. They would be a new race of humans if they bred and gave their augmentations to the next generations. ALso if you look at the lore women can't accept the augmentations (stupid Games Workshop, get some fucking biology lessons) because of the missing Y chromosome (what a retarded excuse- but at least they made it up a bit with Adepta Sororitas or my favorite nickname Nuns with Guns). So breeding wouldn't have happened. Also guess what: the Space Marines are asexual, as in they feel absolutely no urge or desire to have sex, having it removed during their training and hypno-indoctrination.

Also the whole "All the other games I haven't played cause they aren't that good" just shows your ignorance on the matter at hand. You played some games that you call "diverse" and believe that the trouble is solved. No it isn't. That is just the status quo. A status quo that has been in place since the freaking 80s, after the freaking crash. And I blame the publishers for that shit. And now that new segments of gaming are coming up and say that they want better representation,people like you fight for the status quo, which btw isn't that nice if we take a good long look at the community.
Hell a news report just popped up about Star Wars first canonical LGBT character (canon is what Disney says it is- not what your headcanon says) and guess what the comments are like : "OMG a lesbian" "diversity for diversity's sake" and ad naseum. So yea.

At least some publishers/developers are starting to see the writing on the wall and see that the white male teenagers aren't actually the majority of gaming anymore. Hence why we got Blizzard asking for criticism and listening to it. I'd rather play Gone Home than another bland piece of crap Call of Duty 2015 premium Battlefield Edition (yes I would- I really liked Spec Ops because of the inversion it had on the genre).

Edit: wall of text hits for 90001. Damn today I am really pissed off. I don't think I slept properly last night.
You do relies GTA is produced in the UK, right? It pokes fun at America in general. New York (Liberty City), Miami (Vice City), Los Angeles (Los Santos), San Francisco (San Fierro), Las Vagas (Las Venturas).

As for your history, it's way off base, American's can't even get their own history right never mind anyone else's.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
As someone whose known to over-analyze things, I just thought she looked cool because in my 15 years of gaming I've never seen a character design that looks like her. Does that mean that there wasn't one? No. But I've played a lot of games, with a lot of female combatants with C cups who weigh between 110 and 130 lbs and have similar measurements. Just sayin'.

From an aesthetic perspective, body variety is fun because it can enhance a character's persona and makes the cast more fun to look at. A character with big physical presence and a calm voice, and a largely strategic support/bodyguard role, is kinda fun, and lends itself to funny character dynamics. I don't know how fleshed out these characters are actually going to be, but she's a character that doesn't feel like she's been done a thousand times before.

She's like a chilled out big sis with a gravity gun. If tumblr didn't exist, you'd all think she was cool and had rad tats, brah. Don't let an infantile, insecure, ineffectual website ruin good art.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
CommanderZx2 said:
I really don't see how anyone can claim their body types 'look the same'. The only thing they have in common is that none of them are ugly. I guess tumblr users weren't going to be happy until Blizzard added an ugly character, the only thing Zarya is missing is the typical thick rim glasses to go with the terrible dyed hair.
Nice expression of values you got there. And pretty much the core of the issue. The unreal photo model looks becoming the norm in any and all escapist works. Anything is possible, so they just keep giving us the same tired old stock photo model (But not quite) women.

Hell, I think I liked the ideal around the 50s or so. A bit more, you know, body. But that's just me. I wouldn't call anyone ugly really, unless they have some kind of disfigurement or illness (I'm equally disgusted by anorexics and morbidly obese). Zayra? Looks healthy and strong. Would I bang her? Why is that even a question? Every character in every thing does not and should not meet a minimum requirement of "attractiveness" of a very specific type.

You know why people demand things, right? It's the only way to actually change things. That it takes you out of your comfort zone is just good. Maybe you can learn something new.

Overusedname said:
As someone whose known to over-analyze things, I just thought she looked cool because in my 15 years of gaming I've never seen a character design that looks like her. Does that mean that there wasn't one? No. But I've played a lot of games, with a lot of female combatants with C cups who weigh between 110 and 130 lbs and have similar measurements. Just sayin'.

From an aesthetic perspective, body variety is fun because it can enhance a character's persona and makes the cast more fun to look at. A character with big physical presence and a calm voice, and a largely strategic support/bodyguard role, is kinda fun, and lends itself to funny character dynamics. I don't know how fleshed out these characters are actually going to be, but she's a character that doesn't feel like she's been done a thousand times before.

She's like a chilled out big sis with a gravity gun. If tumblr didn't exist, you'd all think she was cool and had rad tats, brah. Don't let an infantile, insecure, ineffectual website ruin good art.
I think it's awesome to have a woman with visible muscles and not just inexplicable strength without an athletic physique.

I can't really think of anyone like that outside of a handful of fighting game characters. Which is hilarious, because fighting games exploit the eye candy females the most of all genres. :D

Do love them though, but then again I'm sensibly detached from the "reality" they portray. It's stylized, because it needs to be to stand out and be memorable. This game? Same thing.

And it's nice to see less common body types rather than the usual belts or zippers in unconventional places (Japan loves that).

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Aeshi said:
Prehaps "went out of your way" was the wrong phrase, but I think my point of "2 changes away from originality vs 2 changes away from a copy-paste" still stands.
Mmm, I'm not sure that it does, though. Not in the strictest sense. Even so, I wasn't necessarily arguing against that.

The only one of those three I would use to describe both would be the "Stotic" part. The "Faceless" part is more metaphorical in the Predator's case (whereas for the Protoss it's more literal.), and the "Noble" part is debateable. Sure they give their prey a "chance" to escape, but then Cats give the mouse they just threw to the ground a chance to crawl away too.
Now we're splitting hairs. I could easily do the same with the characters seen in Dota 2.

I'm not going to because I don't see a point. I'm not here to defend either company.

In the sense that a pickpocket and a bank robber are both guilty of stealing, perhaps.
Egh, this isn't a fair comparison. We can argue endlessly over the difference in sources for the 'copied' materials, but it doesn't change the act of copying perpetrated by either company.

But again, I'm not here to defend either one.
Blizzard may not have a copyright for "Centaurs", but they could probably make a case for having one for "The concept of Dryads as a Half-Deer Half-Elf", which is what Enchantress is.
I'm not sure they could, really. Many depictions of centaurs in mythology feature the creature's human components appearing almost elven like.

But even so, if we're to look for pop-culture-specific versions of these kinds of creatures, I would think something akin to Dungeons and Dragons predated Blizzard's efforts by decades.

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
NPC009 said:
Gengisgame said:
NPC009 said:
Correct which is why you only try to please those that play the game or those that play the game, like I said there are too many people who approve of Zarya because she is not attractive not because they actually like the design. Choice is fine but this was one that was made for the wrong reason, a skeletal female terminator or monster would have been better in my opinion.
Oh, come on, that's just a bunch of bull.

Who says the people who go 'yay, diversity!' dislike her design? I'm sure there are a few, but seriously, why get worked up over those weirdoes who care more about their agenda than anything else? Why not simply respect that there are people who like her design for whatever reason? You don't have to like her, but don't be a dick to the people who do.

Also, Zarya not attractive? Her muscles are a matter of taste, sure, but she's got an attractive face. And even if she were actually ugly, why would it matter? You could still like different aspects. That hair is pretty cool. Weapon look fun. I dunno, why should anyone care about whether she looks fuckable or not?

Would I like to see more design that deviate from the usual pretty girl look? Of course! But Zarya is a start. That's good. It's not as if there's any rule that dictates we're only allowed to have one 'other' female for every x regular ones or something like that. I hope Blizzard finds encouragement and inspiration in the positive reactions and tries to design other less typical female characters.
Lol it would be a pile of BS to think otherwise, all this is not over some character people really, really like

I do respect people who like the character for the design, they are just few and far between because people do not get this many people don't get this worked up over a character design, there are actual articles about how this is good, what others like is bad.

Because it had nothing to with muscles it just shows what it was really about, it was making an unattractive female as some sort of protest, I gave examples of things people may actually want (robots, monster girls, elementals) you have made my point for me, this was simply about making it not be attractive

As you point you just wanted unattractive females despite there being plenty of diversity within that area, not interesting just unattractive. You can have unattractive if that's what you want but that should be personnel taste, not some statement against what others like.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
Gengisgame said:
Lol it would be a pile of BS to think otherwise, all this is not over some character people really, really like

I do respect people who like the character for the design, they are just few and far between because people do not get this many people don't get this worked up over a character design, there are actual articles about how this is good, what others like is bad.

Because it had nothing to with muscles it just shows what it was really about, it was making an unattractive female as some sort of protest, I gave examples of things people may actually want (robots, monster girls, elementals) you have made my point for me, this was simply about making it not be attractive

As you point you just wanted unattractive females despite there being plenty of diversity within that area, not interesting just unattractive. You can have unattractive if that's what you want but that should be personnel taste, not some statement against what others like.
Of course, it's easy to win a game no one else is playing.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Okey fine you made the heavy weapons user "bulky" that's fine it makes sense. but did you have to make her Russian as well?

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
inmunitas said:
Gengisgame said:

Of course, it's easy to win a game no one else is playing.
I think she's fairly attractive to be honest. Maybe it's just the novelty of seeing a female character in a video game with actual muscles, rather than inexplicable waif strength.

So no, the point of it wasn't to make an "unattractive" character. It's to make a relatable character for someone else but the usual people. Everything is not made for you all the time and if you think she's ugly, well... That just tells me a lot about your values. Or rather, how little of a **** you give about what others like.

Pluvia said:
I'm looking forward to this game. Seems like a cool TF2 style game.

But the people complaining in this thread about Blizzard being "forced" to do something that they openly said they wanted to is great hahaha. It's like "A developer did something they said the wanted to?! NO THERE MUST BE AN AGENDA!"
They make money, people get what they want. I fail to see how this is not a win/win situation for everyone.

People just like to whine whenever someone else but themselves in catered to.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
Mutant1988 said:
I think she's fairly attractive to be honest. Maybe it's just the novelty of seeing a female character in a video game with actual muscles, rather than inexplicable waif strength.

So no, the point of it wasn't to make an "unattractive" character. It's to make a relatable character for someone else but the usual people. Everything is not made for you all the time and if you think she's ugly, well... That just tells me a lot about your values. Or rather, how little of a **** you give about what others like.
And just who are these "usual people" you speak of? How many Russian weightlifters with pink hair and play American video games do you know?

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
inmunitas said:
Mutant1988 said:

And just who are these "usual people" you speak of? How many Russian weightlifters with pink hair and play American video games do you know?
I don't know many athletic 30-ish year old white men either. Well, I know one of those.

What's your point?

You do understand that relatable does not equal identical, right? I'm sure there's someone that can relate to a woman with muscles. I mean, hell, there exist women with muscles.

How do you know that none of them play video games?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Riotguards said:
that's just one long logical fallacy equating two things together which are not at all related

like relating suicide to a murderer, they're both deaths right so obviously they're the same (your logic)

map design and character design are completely different, map design doesn't have this overhanging tick box being placed on it by SJW who declare that nothing having a bin is misogyny and having too many lamppost is a sign of the patriarchy

overall your entire argument is that you feel that developers SHOULD cater to every whimsical idea that you and SJW alike think up, its self justice to make yourself feel good, hell that's why you focus on gender, how else can you become a white knight without protecting some "victim"
They're both subjective criticisms of the design of a game.

They're perfectly comparable.

The only difference is that you don't like one of those criticisms and are dead set on treating it differently, because doing so allows you to dismiss it.

And no, I never said developers "SHOULD cater to every whimsical idea". In fact, I said the opposite:
If the developers consider [a criticism] groundless or not in their best interests to respond then they are free to deny or disregard it.
After all, a developer is going to get a lot of dumb criticism and requests/demands for changes. For an example, just look at any discussion on balance in any MOBA ever.

PS. You still haven't answered my question.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
Mutant1988 said:
inmunitas said:
Mutant1988 said:

I don't know many athletic 30-ish year old white men either. Well, I know one of those.

What's your point?

You do understand that relatable does not equal identical, right? I'm sure there's someone that can relate to a woman with muscles. I mean, hell, there exist women with muscles.

The notion that anyone is going to find a character "relatable" solely based on that fictional characters physical appearance is absurd.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
inmunitas said:
Mutant1988 said:
inmunitas said:
Mutant1988 said:

What's your point?

The notion that anyone is going to find a character "relatable" solely based on that characters physical appearance is absurd.
Must be something to it because we keep seeing the same characters over and over again.

Being able to relate to characters is practically a requirement to be engaged by a story. It doesn't have to be a relation in appearance, but why the hell not have that too?

It's nice for a change.

But thanks for just ignoring the question and me pointing out the error in argumentation.

Who are you to say that no one else would find this character relatable? Because they aren't russian bodybuilders with pink hair?

Hell, I'm nothing like any protagonist of any game I've ever played. Didn't stop me from relating to some of them. But the fact that I enjoy character creators do strongly support the concept that looks matter. I might not want to look like myself, but I want a representation I can relate to, especially when there's no story relation to be had.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
Mutant1988 said:
inmunitas said:
Mutant1988 said:
inmunitas said:
Mutant1988 said:

What's your point?

The notion that anyone is going to find a character "relatable" solely based on that characters physical appearance is absurd.
Must be something to it because we keep seeing the same characters over and over again.

Being able to relate to characters is practically a requirement to be engaged by a story. It doesn't have to be a relation in appearance, but why the hell not have that too?

It's nice for a change.

But thanks for just ignoring the question and me pointing out the error in argumentation.

Who are you to say that no one else would find this character relatable? Because they aren't russian bodybuilders with pink hair?

Hell, I'm nothing like any protagonist of any game I've ever played. Didn't stop me from relating to some of them. But the fact that I enjoy character creators do strongly support the concept that looks matter. I might not want to look like myself, but I want a representation I can relate to, especially when there's no story relation to be had.
Do we? So all "white people" look the same to you? Do they not have any individuality? Just "white" and that's it? I suppose it's the same for every other race you know of? Is it? Because I've heard that argument before and it only leads to trouble.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
inmunitas said:
Do we? So all "white people" look the same to you?
Do point out where I made any claim that all white people look the same.

I'll wait.

"We" don't all look the same (Good riddance - I would feel sorry for someone looking just like me... Damnit, that's me isn't it?).

But if someone else gets a character they can relate to, even if only visually, then why the hell should I get upset about it? Because it satisfies an unpleasant minority? Who cares?

I'm fine with people playing games and having fun and this - Is not an instance where people made a controversy out of anything. Blizzard said they would do a thing and they did it, because they wanted to do it.

Characters should be relatable and if there's no deep story component, why not have them be relatable visually?

Because it's shallow and pointless?`Shit, for something so insignificant you sure seem insistent on there not being any changes.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
Mutant1988 said:
inmunitas said:

I'll wait.

"We" don't all look the same (Good riddance - I would feel sorry for someone looking just like me... Damnit, that's me isn't it?).

But if someone else gets a character they can relate to, even if only visually, then why the hell should I get upset about it? Because it satisfies an unpleasant minority? Who cares?

I'm fine with people playing games and having fun and this - Is not an instance where people made a controversy out of anything. Blizzard said they would do a thing and they did it, because they wanted to do it.

Characters should be relatable and if there's no deep story component, why not have them be relatable visually?

Because it's shallow and pointless?`Shit, for something so insignificant you sure seem insistent on there not being any changes.
Expect no one is against any changes here, are they? I've not seen a petition for Blizzard to undo anything, have you? Video game characters do not have to be "relatable". Video games are pure fantasy, nothing in a video game has to remotely resemble anything in real life. Video games are games, not stories. Games provide the player a challenge to complete or an opponent to over come, and that's all they're required to do because that's what a game is. If you where talking about film/TV with real life actors, what you're saying would make more sense, but video games aren't a medium where the goal is to narrate a story to an observer.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
inmunitas said:
Mutant1988 said:
inmunitas said:

I'll wait.

Expect no one is against any changes here, are they? I've not seen a petition for Blizzard to undo anything, have you? Video game characters do not have to be "relatable". Video games are pure fantasy, nothing in a video game has to remotely resemble anything in real life. Video games are games, not stories. Games provide the player a challenge to complete or an opponent to over come, and that's all they're required to do because that's what a game is. If you where talking about film/TV with real life actors, what you're saying would make more sense, but video games aren't a medium where the goal is to narrate a story to an observer.
Except it is. Every single element put into the game tells a story. If it didn't, it wouldn't be interesting. It would not be engaging.

If you can't relate to the design of a game, you won't play it.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. Some people wanted more diversity and Blizzard saw fit to add it, because they wanted to. Your pseudo-philosophical ramblings about what is or isn't part of a video game is obfuscating the point.

This is not a big deal. It is for some people, because they don't get catered to very often, while me and you get catered to by default most of the time (Well, maybe not me, because I'm a critical bastard with peculiar tastes). How about just not giving a shit about others getting what they want, when you always have and still get what you want?

It's not like the male majority audience disappeared or anything. But here's the thing - There's enough games and developers to go around to give everyone something they like.

PsiChaos

Nothing Interesting Here
Feb 21, 2015
I just don't agree with the Zarya design. Chew me out all you want, but I feel like they made a generic male model, gave it some pink hair, and said "look guys, we're so progressive." If you made her bald, she'd look like every generic Space Marine ever. The fact that the 'diversity' crowd is eating it up sorta saddens me because now these developers know they can get away with lazy designs and claim it's diverse so long as they slap some pink on it.