Blizzard Apologizes for Diablo III Launch Troubles

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Considering one of their big selling points was that Diablo 3 would have vastly improved PvP over Diablo 2, yet is releasing with NO PvP, that sounds like a rushed game to me.
Really? Sounds to me like they delivered many times over on that.

darkonnis

Apr 8, 2010
Realistically i shouldn't care, i play HoN which is online only but i know its ALWAYS against others, also played swtor, wow etc etc. But it does bother me, i dont like logging in to stuff to play a single player. I played skyrim when SWTOR was down for the day, or Dawn or war, like steam, this should have an "offline" function. Even if you had to go online to verify it just the once that'd be reasonable, but forcing people to use a server for no other reason than to scoop up that small %% of pirates who have cracks anyway so still, arent affected seems ridiculous and once again, greed wins through which is all this is a result of.
I'll wait if it changes brilliant, if not, well not to worry, i'll just not. I didn't bother with starcraft 2 for the same reason, havent lost any sleep over it and im happier with tha £40 than without it.

Lhynn

Oct 7, 2011
Well, the only issues i have with D3 are:

1) The online auction house, you may think its not such a big deal, but drop rates and the amount of gold you get have been made extremely low, to force people to use it.

2) The game is mediocre at best, both path of exile and torchlight 2 are better in every way.

3) You have to log in to play single player (i know its part of the product but thats just retarded), and there where two reasons for that: a) they dont trust their costumers and b) they want you to look at the auction house to tempt you to spend money. Because when you get "the Axe of chaotic death of everything that moves and most things that dont" and you see that you can sell it for about 40 bucks, you will want to sell it for real money.

4) You cant customize your character, the only thing that matters is the gear (again, one more reason to look at the auction house) and because of that its neither deep nor involving in that regard.

5) I hate the graphic style, its just not diablo, again path of exile feels more like diablo than D3.

6) Someone will hack it soon, and the pirated version will offer a better service than the original one, and thats about as stupid as you can get when you are trying to sell a product.

7) full price for that... thing? really?

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
See, this is what I hate. If any other company did this they'd probably take a loss or even go under, but since it's Blizzard it'll still come out smelling like roses. Seriously, I think they allowed a rocky launch because they knew they could do it with impunity. They just want to dick with the fans now because they know that they'll come back. I mean people waited for a game that by some accounts is not only still rocking archaic design philosophy but is dumbed-down from its predecessor. I didn't even think it was possible to dumb down Diablo. How does it get more simple than click, kill, level up, hotkey potions, rinse, repeat?
A grave injustice is how I see it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Thank you for your $60 entry fee to the post-beta server stress tests. We know you are as eager as we are for the final commercial release of Diablo 3...

So was the whole "pre-order" program just some kind of doctoral thesis on Barnum's Law, then? One less day you get to play your game before the restructuring a few years down the road that ends with the Diablo 3 servers being shut down and turning countless DVDs into coasters?

Every year, more hype, and a greater serving of abuse to be swallowed with it. When are we going to start showing these people that adopting consumer-hostile policies is not okay, and describing them as "industry standard" doesn't change that?

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Abedeus said:
Did you play the game?
Yep. Wasn't my copy, though.
Then shut up and don't say it's shitty without having played it. Rushed? It took 10 years to release, and was announced in... 2008 or 2009? That's not rushed.
The game, as we see it today, took about a year and a half of total development time. 2008-2010 development was scrapped whole when they realized they were using a non-proprietary engine.

Keep your rose-tinted glasses on, though. I'm not going to waste my time on a forum poster that can't look at something critically.
I remember problems Half Life 2 had after release. Game was unplayable not for the first few hours, like D3, but DAYS.
I remember another game that was unplayable for weeks after it's launch. It' a pretty popular game now, though. You might have heard of it. It was called wow or something.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
God I'm so glad I chose to withhold getting this until Blizz gets their shit together.

It's their own fault, really. With their history of server problems it completely confounds me that somebody didn't speak up and say that maybe this whole online server for single player things wasn't such a good idea.

Ympulse said:
I remember another game that was unplayable for weeks after it's launch. It' a pretty popular game now, though. You might have heard of it. It was called wow or something.
tee hee.

Oh you.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
If the system can't handle always on DRM then don't put it on. This is the very reason I haven't purchased Diablo3 yet, and unless they are actually going to put out a console version that has no Always Online DRM on it then I probably will not get it.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Innegativeion said:
God I'm so glad I chose to withhold getting this until Blizz gets their shit together.
It is together, has been togheter since like 4 hours after launch except 1 maintenance of 30 mins the launch day and 1 server restart yesterday.

AFAIK... i am not following it too closely. Have played 12 hours in 3 days with few if any issues.

But if you are wanting to play a single player action RPG with mods, don't bother, diablo iii isn't that. It's a kickass multiplayer game with action RPG elements though.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Sylveria said:
Shitty, rushed game
And lols were had by all.

OT: I'm kinda glad I can't afford this atm. I will be able to afford it next month though, so hopefully the creases will be ironed out by then.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
tony2077 said:
shit happens and too many people are blowing this way out of proportion
this :3

cause by the time i got home and installed Tuesday, i was actually able to play.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Aeshi said:
CriticKitten said:
Considering one of their big selling points was that Diablo 3 would have vastly improved PvP over Diablo 2, yet is releasing with NO PvP, that sounds like a rushed game to me.
Really? Sounds to me like they delivered many times over on that.
They delivered on a promise to have vastly improved PvP in Diablo 3 by releasing the game with NO PvP?

Your argument makes no sense, unless you're saying that having no PvP *is* an improvement over having it....which I might not disagree with. xD
That's just it though! By releasing D3 WITHOUT PvP, players have to come up with their own PvP, which itself is PvP. The battlefield is the internet and the weapons of choice are whatever items people can get their hands on. Like a friend who is a mod, or maybe a small group of people who can DDoS servers. It's brilliant! Blizzard has created a meta-pvp system without actually creating any pvp.

captcha: slippery slope
What Blizzard seems to be on, yes?

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
ManThatYouFear said:
"ONLINE DRM CREATED PRIACY"

^^ i wonder how many people will say this before threads end.
It certainly didn't create it, piracy was around well before online DRM. That being said, online DRM encourages piracy. It pisses people off to have to jump through hoops to play games they legally purchased, and in general DRM only hurts people who actually bought the game. It's all about convenience; is it worth it to go through all the crap to play the legally purchased game, or is it more convenient to just pirate it and miss out on the multiplayer/patches. If you can take a game out of the box, put it in, and play it, people are a lot more likely to trust the company and give them their money then if the company makes the playing experience painful.

I personally spend part of my summer out in the boonies with no internet connection, and not being able to play some of my single player games because they want me to be online for them pisses me off. I'm sure as hell not going to give someone money for a game I'm not going to get to play.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Blizzard might have screwed up, but frankly, I could give less of a damn. I've sunk five hours into Act 1 of the game and I could honestly say I enjoyed it immensely.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
LordLundar said:
oplinger said:
Sylveria said:
Shitty, rushed game made by soulless corporate drones who have no concern about the quality of the game they make or consumer satisfaction is shitty.
Yeah! just like that duke nukem forever crap! Rushed as all hell! And look what happened.
Not the best example considering the assets were remade at least 3 times over the years, subsequently dropped, then picked up by another company, slapped together and recoded again in just a few months.
That was sort of the joke. The game was not rushed. Neither of them were really. DNF took 12 years, was redone a bunch, in different engines, given to other companies, scrapped, remade again, and then finally got picked up, cleaned up and thrown out the door. It wasn't rushed, it was just -bad-.

Diablo 3 spent 7 years in development, and 4 years in production, which was then redone 3 times, and overhauled a bunch because of fan input.

Really blizzard made the same mistake with Diablo 3 that they did with WoW, They didn't think -so- many people would play it. It took them like 6 years to realize WoW was really really popular. And they did the same with Diablo 3 here. They'll fix it faster this time at least. SO a little patience and everything will work at least. Weather people still like the game will be different.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
wildebeest careering over a cliff.
I love Grey...

but in other news, I wrote a post earlier about how Blizz 'defeated' piracy with this, but how annoyed i was about -how- they did it.

Although, I heard they restricted SP to online because it would keep hackers from making dupes/hacks/bots etc. They basically don't want to reveal their secret-infrastructure for everyone to see, so they put everything server side.

Ugh...WTF mind is blown. Online DRM?? Defeating piracy?? But... *shrug*

edit: food for thought, my old post

So guys...I really hate to admit it, but Blizzard...defeated piracy. And I'm not exactly SUPER diddly about it because it involved such punishing DRM (ugh..), but it's... true right?

1. Massively hyped game that people will buy regardless of DRM
2. Always-online DRM (spawn enemies/items serverside). This way even the single player cannot be cracked (at least initially).
3. Even when single player is 'cracked' (which will take a hella long time because you have to figure out how to emulate the servers), it won't ever be even close to the real thing because of server size, patches/maintenance, stability/quality, etc.

This is almost entirely the reason why Blizz made SP online only. Devious. But damned effective.

And no one's gonna really complain cause (I'm talking majority rule)..you know. Unlike some Ubisoft game, it's...freaking Diablo 3.

*checkmate*

edit: And in addition, the server 'issues' are purported. They purposely choose a 'close but slightly under' server strength, so they can up it later as needed to save money.
D:

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I know this is a thin hope, but perhaps studios will begin to see that always on internet is a stupid idea?

I know, not gonna happen, but a man can certainly hope can't he?

doctorwhofan

Mar 20, 2009
Ympulse said:
QFT...

Just about EVERY GAME Blizzard has released has had problems...the SAME problems. You think they would have learned by now how to release a game with online servers attached to it by now.