Blizzard Hopes Faster WoW Expansions Will Halt Sliding Subscriptions

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Another point, a significant number of those subscriptions lost could be due to the choice of budgeting WoW vs. Rising gas prices. $15 a month in the tank vs. not being able to get to work, which in turn makes it harder to eat, pay rent, etc.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
For the next expansion I want those Walrus people in Northrend to become a Horde race :D

... also another type of healer would be fun

nadesico33

It's tragically delicious!
Mar 10, 2010
I think Blizzard got a little Kotick in them, because that frontpage headline alone is a pure Kotick-ism. :p "Its not making enough money, so lets make more of it until it does. I worked for Guitar Hero."

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
Aeshi said:
Who cares? The people leaving are probably just bandwagon jumpers who have decided that WoW is Hitler Satan and are leaving for "Not-a-WoW-ripoff-honest 2:WoW with Lightsabers" (which will be completely different and original in every way!)
rofl that's what I was thinking, but not in a nearly as hilarious way :p

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Proteus214 said:
To quote a guildmate 2 hours after the release of Patch 4.1:
"Yup, I'm already done with this new patch. See you when the next one drops."
This was basically my own feeling, only mine came during the time before Cataclysm's launch. Everyone was going "OMGOMGOMG new content new content!" and having found nothing engaging with the new talents and revamps of the old world (pretty and well-crafted though it was) I genuinely felt like "Meh screw it...if I get into it, it'll take less than a month to get bored of it and the community sucks donkey balls by now. WTF am I even doing here anymore?" and quietly left it forever.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
John Funk said:
I think it's funny that on the one hand you have people saying that the game is TOO HARD which is why they're leaving, and on the other people saying it's TOO EASY which is why they're living. When you're making a game for 12 million people, pleasing everyone is nigh impossible.

But man, the actual content that's there? Is some of the best there's ever been. I can't believe that there are people who actually want to go back to the crappy environment of pre-BC. That was horrible, yo :p

We got to kill giant flying eyeballs in vanilla WoW.
Where it was challenging.
These days you can't kill no eyeballs, but you get to roleplay as
*drumroll*
A FISHERMAN!

YAAAY!
The sad thing is that I really like WoW, I played it as a kid and I mostly played Vanilla WoW, it would break your balls man, but it felt so great when you got those purple boots that took you 3 days of raiding.
These days then WoW is way to easy, you can do a couple of heroics, maybe 1 or 2 raids and then BAM!
Full gear.
But I want to see a return of the 40 man raids, raids that actually beat your ass until you're so bloodied that you will somehow slap it into submission.
Raids that are actually, well tough.
What WoW needs to do if it wants to save face is to release content which isn't stale or boring, I mean, common.
I'm even considering on going into Warhammer online because it is a bit more gritty and I play Warhammer my self.

WoW is a cancer and it's about to get cut out.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
NinjaTigerXIII said:
find a way to make raiding a little more accessible for the causal player and then we'll talk.
There's something I want brought back: Raid Finder. Seriously, guild NEVER does raids and when they do they give up on the first wipe

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
"Blizzard wants to speed up the development of future World of Warcraft expansions in order to satisfy players who are blowing through the game and then moving on to other things faster than ever before."

Let me run this through the BS translator

Bleep... Bloop... Bleep... Bloop... Ding

"Blizzard wants to speed up the development of future World of Warcraft expansions in order to coax players who are blowing money the game and then move on to the next expansion faster than ever before."

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Coffinshaker said:
ok... no.

See, here's the thing, wowclassic was out for years without an expansion and did great! why? because it had "content upgrades", a set level and clear goals on how to upgrade your character with that limit in place. What I mean is, there weren't expansions to give you the "xpac blues", aka, the waiting time between expansion announcement and actual release... because nobody wants to work hard for gear that will be replaced in a few short beginner quests.

What wowclassic had was character upgrades. Gear. When a new raid/dungeon was released, you had to work your butt off to get that gear. It wasn't exactly casual friendly either, but both had their place. Depending on your realm, a lot of casuals got to experience big raids to fill spots. Now, it's all gone crazy. I think they shifted things into feeling more grindy than fun. I really miss the days of needing 2 cc classes and maybe a hunter to kite, otherwise you'd get chewed up. And heaven forbid you even try to set foot in an instance/raid if you weren't geared properly.

I feel that releasing expansions more frequently will only hurt more than it will help. Releasing CONTENT on the other hand, would be better. I think having a static level cap, for maybe 2 years? should really help. Because it then becomes about designing content that's gear/setup/strategy dependent, and not so much toss a high level in there and wale away at things.

Anyways, that's how I feel about that.
So you just want Blizz to release more Raids, not expansions? Well... let's look a this Classic WoW had 7 raids, depending on if you count the half raids as a raid (MC, Ony, BWL, AQ20/40, ZG, Naxx, Strat/Scholo, BRS). TBC had 7 (Kara, Mag, Gruul, Kael, Hyjal, BT, Sunwell). Wrath had 7 (Naxx, VoA, OS, Ulduar, ToC, Icecrown, RS) but also gave you the option of 10 or 25 with each. Admittedly, counting VoA and RS is a stretch since they were filler but either way, they are in. I don't know Cata as well, but they have 3(?) currently? Now, let's not forget that most people consider Ulduar and Icecrown as 2 of the best raids Blizzard ahs ever put out. Ulduar, because it had great a difficulty curve and hardmodes, including a fight that the "top raiders" from Paragon and Ensidia considered to be the hardest fight until that point, and it was hard for the right reasons, not broken mechanics like Classic tended to be. Icecrown was quite popular because if you had any interest in raiding, you could pretty easily get to 7 or 8/12 by the time 4.0 hit. People like to see raiding content, they don't necessarily want to devote more than a single night to it.

DISCLAIMER: I am one of those people who don't like spending more than 1 night raiding, but I got my group to 11/12 by blitzing the first 10 in 2 hours and getting lucky on Sindragosa once.

Jarcin

Oct 1, 2010
I'm an explorer. It's what I do. I love to find those hidden areas in maps most people have overlooked.

Sadly, even with Cata, there wasn't much of that. Yes they revamped everything but hell I didn't get a flying mount til I was 78. I had to walk everywhere and appreciate it. In Azeroth before I quit after reaching 85, I just aimed a certain direction, hit num lock, and went and got a sandwich. I had no reason to explore or see anything.

WoW kind of shot themselves in the foot in that there is only a limited amount of space they can do things. They've gone underground, all around the top, and even into space. They COULD start looking at other planets but that requires the development of even more races and god knows it will be the MASSIVE RETURN OF THE BURNING LEGION! or something along those lines. They keep trying to pack more and more in a little 10x10 box. They have run out of room and really they can't go much of anywhere.

Even if they add new quests where will they put them? If you put more into the old area, does everything now give less exp?

Unless WoW pulls another massive location out of it's ass and maybe some cool race or just race locations (DO SOMETHING WITH THE PANDA RACE!!!!!!) then they are good. Right now though, they kinda screwed themselves into a corner.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Jarcin said:
WoW kind of shot themselves in the foot in that there is only a limited amount of space they can do things. They've gone underground, all around the top, and even into space. They COULD start looking at other planets but that requires the development of even more races and god knows it will be the MASSIVE RETURN OF THE BURNING LEGION! or something along those lines. They keep trying to pack more and more in a little 10x10 box. They have run out of room and really they can't go much of anywhere.
That's actually the likely plot for the WoW finale. The return to Argus, the "homeworld" of the Eredar and more or less, of the Burning Legion. It's actually something to look forward to, as some of the more popular characters are most likely there. Well, at least popular Alliance characters.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
Well lets just take an example at their newest raid dungeon coming out..... Oh! RAGNAROS, HOW EXCITING!

Never killed him before....

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Jarcin said:
I'm an explorer. It's what I do. I love to find those hidden areas in maps most people have overlooked.
Sadly, even with Cata, there wasn't much of that.
I agree on this - they pretty much got rid of half-hidden quest areas and they're all joined into each other. Was nice to run across something that you hadn't seen before, on subsequent characters.

For me, TBC was the time I enjoyed playing the most. Wrath left me bored at points as it felt too "manufactured" when levelling, and ended up breaking the immersion because you know you don't have a quest to kill those beasts over there because there's a closer quest hub. TBC felt better because they improved a bunch of the mechanics as far as I was concerned, and it felt like that there were more quest hubs focused on local issues instead of the whole "this is what the expansion is here for" stuff.

I played in the Cata beta - wasn't even there from the start, but I managed to do 1-85 in the time I had. It felt too quick and I'd pretty much done every single solo quest that there was to do. Admittedly I did a whole chunk at 85, but that's what I do, especially if there's achievements - if the quests per zone achievements didn't exist, the zones would last longer for me as I wouldn't do them all with my main.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Donnyp said:
I came in to see the numbers. you would think 600,000 people wouldn't be such a big deal with 12 million.
It is, however, approximately 5% of the player base. Once people start leaving, their friends tend to start leaving, then you have a mass exodus on your hands. One of the times I quit was because all my friends quit, and it just wasn't fun playing any more without them.

Yer, numbers aren't massively huge now, but I think it's a dip that's worth trying to do something about if possible.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Stonker said:
John Funk said:
I think it's funny that on the one hand you have people saying that the game is TOO HARD which is why they're leaving, and on the other people saying it's TOO EASY which is why they're living. When you're making a game for 12 million people, pleasing everyone is nigh impossible.

But man, the actual content that's there? Is some of the best there's ever been. I can't believe that there are people who actually want to go back to the crappy environment of pre-BC. That was horrible, yo :p

We got to kill giant flying eyeballs in vanilla WoW.
Where it was challenging.
These days you can't kill no eyeballs, but you get to roleplay as
*drumroll*
A FISHERMAN!

YAAAY!
The sad thing is that I really like WoW, I played it as a kid and I mostly played Vanilla WoW, it would break your balls man, but it felt so great when you got those purple boots that took you 3 days of raiding.
These days then WoW is way to easy, you can do a couple of heroics, maybe 1 or 2 raids and then BAM!
Full gear.
But I want to see a return of the 40 man raids, raids that actually beat your ass until you're so bloodied that you will somehow slap it into submission.
Raids that are actually, well tough.
What WoW needs to do if it wants to save face is to release content which isn't stale or boring, I mean, common.
I'm even considering on going into Warhammer online because it is a bit more gritty and I play Warhammer my self.

WoW is a cancer and it's about to get cut out.
The day WoW brings back 40-mans is the day WoW is dead. 40-mans were, and are, a cancer on MMOs.