Blizzard Hopes Faster WoW Expansions Will Halt Sliding Subscriptions

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Donnyp said:
Choppaduel said:

..or to put it another way: I am highly skeptical of this plan.
Bender is always right so i shall join him in his laughter.

Also your Avatar is going to have Awesome hair forever lol.
upon receiving perfect hair forever...

Jinjiro

Fresh Prince of Darkness
Apr 20, 2008
Honestly, I can say that it isn't the lack of new content that made me disinterested in WoW.

Now they've started adding these new, improved features to make the game more accessible for everyone, like the LFD tool, and expanding battlegroups for faster queues. They made a 'guild finder' as well, and now it's easier than ever to jump into the content of the game. The levelling is streamlined and you can get to max level faster than ever. There's two world pvp areas that get objectives every 3 hours (although no-one does Wintergrasp any more, so it's effectively one), and you can get gear easily and efficiently with the Justice/Valor point vendors.

For me, that's what's making the game LESS fun. See, with every change made to the game in order to make it easier/more efficient, you lose something else. A little piece of WoW's soul, if you will. Bear with me.

The Looking For Dungeon tool, on the surface, is a great idea. Queue up, wait for a time and then hey presto, insta-PUG. Little additional reward and damage boost for grouping with randoms, but... that's not something that really excites anyone - it's just 'pretty cool'. What you lose, however, was for me much more noticeable. If you've used the LFD tool, you've no doubt noticed that in a lot of cases, people rarely even talk to each other in the party. It's all very cold and clinical, a lot of the time - people tend to just talk at you if you do something wrong. Even worse, the sense of disconnection from the people you're playing with means a lot of the time, if players think they're wasting even a second of their time, they'll leave the group without a word. What's worse, though, is when you find a fantastic group. I've (rarely) seen groups that get along really well in the random PUG, communicating, joking and having a great time. See, before the LFD, cross-realm tool, that's the sort of group that in-game friendships were based on. I've met long-lasting REAL friends in WoW, that exact way. Now? Good luck finding that nice priest again, he's not from your server - you might not see him again.

Also, never having to leave the city to do a dungeon is probably the least immersive, most boring way to deliver PvE, ever. At least when you had to fly to a dungeon there was the prospect of some world PvP outside the entrance... I'll get to that, though.

Similarly, the queue times for random battlegrounds have gone down a lot because of the expansion of the battlegroups, but I remember a time where you'd form rivalries with members of the opposite faction on your server - it was harder when the battlegroups were small, but still possible. Seeing familiar friends and foes on the battlefield brought something more to the PvP than just grinding for honour.

Guilds were formed around the small amount of effort needed to put together a 5/10/15 man raid group or a regular premade PvP group. The new Guild Finder just seems like a lazy way to push the new Guild Perks/Achievements razzmatazz recently implemented.

Finally, world PvP. Coming from a time where Tarren Mill/Southshore was a full on war, where STV was a surefire place to find either gankers or level 30-40s engaged in battles, where Blackrock Mountain was full of the skeletons of people who clashed while on the way to the many instances there, I miss REAL world PvP quite badly. Not forced world PvP, where the sides are auto-balanced, and the objectives are constructed - but PvP that was born from proximity - Horde and Alliance forced together, whether that be a dungeon entrance or two quest hubs close together. Yes, RPGs work on reward-based progression, and all these shiny baubles we're thrown are nice, I'm sure, but sometimes the reward should be playing the game itself. I miss having huge wars outside Blackrock Mountain for no reason, it was chaotic, and it was damn fun!

Also, a minor gripe, but still one of the many pieces that has made WoW less engaging for me, is the way gear is obtained. I agree, having a few pieces of gear available for some accrued points is a nice system - but having an entire set obtainable through points has completely killed the sense of excitement one could get when that piece you wanted dropped.

Maybe I'm just afraid of change, or whatever, but WoW slowly lost my interest, in bits and pieces, for the reasons described, and some others.

Damn, I ranted.

TL;DR - WoW gained accessibility, lost personality and some of the magic that made it such a popular game.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
I think the problem is the player base really. You have casuals who want to raid but can't because they don't know people and therefore can't gear up. Then you have no lifers who will immediately kick someone from a heroic if they're not 359 ilvl with full enchants and gems.

For example I play on Argent Dawn EU, a roleplay server. As you can imagine, PvE isn't a massive priority. So I can't gear up because the dungeon finder pairs me with people who will kick me about a minute into the dungeon once they've seen my gear. And nobody in my guild wants to do heroics because PvE isn't a massive deal.

Blizzard would do well to at least try and make raiding more accessible. Take the newest legendary. Who will get that out of the player base? The no lifers who will discard it the moment bigger stats appear.

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
a nice updated graphic would be nice it kinda tiresome looking at a tree form abow that looks like a * with no details or grass that is paper thin and has such a low pixel count that my typical phone game have more pixels...oh yea and harder difficulties that would be a must in my book...you know what screw it ill just go play TOR/rift/GW2 since blizz cant seem to get anything right

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
John Funk said:
I think it's funny that on the one hand you have people saying that the game is TOO HARD which is why they're leaving, and on the other people saying it's TOO EASY which is why they're living. When you're making a game for 12 million people, pleasing everyone is nigh impossible.
Wrath seemed to do a really good job at providing content for everyone.

For the casuals like myself I could log in with my measly 30-60 minutes of free time, squeeze in a heroic, maybe even two. Heck, if it turned out I could stay longer, maybe I'd do more. I'd spend two nights a week doing some semi-serious raiding (that was grueling enough on me) and we made a decent level of progression as a casual, RP-guild.

While on the other side of the spectrum, the ultra hard content kept the hardcore gamers busy for quite a while. Despite all the talk of Wrath being a "faceroll", the server first downing of 25-man hardmode Lich King happened two weeks before Cataclysm hit on my realm. That says a lot I think.

Now? Difficulty of dungeons as a whole aside, I couldn't even hope to squeeze in a heroic, as they are made by design to take more time than I have or am willing to give to a game in one go.

It just seems to me the game did a much better job of catering to a wider spectrum before they listened to all the chest-thumping of the forum community.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
John Funk said:
The Stonker said:
John Funk said:
I think it's funny that on the one hand you have people saying that the game is TOO HARD which is why they're leaving, and on the other people saying it's TOO EASY which is why they're living. When you're making a game for 12 million people, pleasing everyone is nigh impossible.

But man, the actual content that's there? Is some of the best there's ever been. I can't believe that there are people who actually want to go back to the crappy environment of pre-BC. That was horrible, yo :p

We got to kill giant flying eyeballs in vanilla WoW.
Where it was challenging.
These days you can't kill no eyeballs, but you get to roleplay as
*drumroll*
A FISHERMAN!

YAAAY!
The sad thing is that I really like WoW, I played it as a kid and I mostly played Vanilla WoW, it would break your balls man, but it felt so great when you got those purple boots that took you 3 days of raiding.
These days then WoW is way to easy, you can do a couple of heroics, maybe 1 or 2 raids and then BAM!
Full gear.
But I want to see a return of the 40 man raids, raids that actually beat your ass until you're so bloodied that you will somehow slap it into submission.
Raids that are actually, well tough.
What WoW needs to do if it wants to save face is to release content which isn't stale or boring, I mean, common.
I'm even considering on going into Warhammer online because it is a bit more gritty and I play Warhammer my self.

WoW is a cancer and it's about to get cut out.
The day WoW brings back 40-mans is the day WoW is dead. 40-mans were, and are, a cancer on MMOs.
In what sense?
If you've ever raided MC with a full raid or AQ with a full raid, then you know the experience.
The thing is that everything comes to an end, so I will guess that WoW will be dead in about 2 years.

YouEatLard

Jun 20, 2010
Cheesus333 said:
I caancelled mine when my account was hacked and subsequently banned and they didn't do shit about it. Just sayin'... maybe improve account security? A lot?

And learn how to rectify it better. I imagine they'd have a lot more players still, um, playing if account hacks weren't so common.
Yeah, it's pretty lame when they look at the IP and say "Oh, yeah, it was hacked. Looks like an IP out of China". So if it's that easy to tell if an IP is from east Asia, then why the hell can't characters block east Asain IP's? Duhr?

That and yeah, Wow is getting old.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
The Stonker said:
John Funk said:
The Stonker said:
John Funk said:

But man, the actual content that's there? Is some of the best there's ever been. I can't believe that there are people who actually want to go back to the crappy environment of pre-BC. That was horrible, yo :p

We got to kill giant flying eyeballs in vanilla WoW.
Where it was challenging.
These days you can't kill no eyeballs, but you get to roleplay as
*drumroll*
A FISHERMAN!

YAAAY!
The sad thing is that I really like WoW, I played it as a kid and I mostly played Vanilla WoW, it would break your balls man, but it felt so great when you got those purple boots that took you 3 days of raiding.
These days then WoW is way to easy, you can do a couple of heroics, maybe 1 or 2 raids and then BAM!
Full gear.
But I want to see a return of the 40 man raids, raids that actually beat your ass until you're so bloodied that you will somehow slap it into submission.
Raids that are actually, well tough.
What WoW needs to do if it wants to save face is to release content which isn't stale or boring, I mean, common.
I'm even considering on going into Warhammer online because it is a bit more gritty and I play Warhammer my self.

WoW is a cancer and it's about to get cut out.
The day WoW brings back 40-mans is the day WoW is dead. 40-mans were, and are, a cancer on MMOs.
In what sense?
If you've ever raided MC with a full raid or AQ with a full raid, then you know the experience.
The thing is that everything comes to an end, so I will guess that WoW will be dead in about 2 years.
Because trying to gather 10-25 people can be a chore, and they had to balance 40m raids around 25-30 people anyways, because they knew some people would be filler, some would have bad internet/computers, and only th rest would care. They changed it a bit in Naxx because it was a safe assumption that the guilds who were willing to do that content were made of the people who cared. That said, the fights were still largely crap. Four Horsemen? You needed 6-8 tanks for that fight, and they had to have... I think it was the 4-piece set bonus from t3 so their taunts were sure to hit. That is terrible design. Besides, it is so much cooler to be a part of a small group that is strong enough to take down the top baddies in lore.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
I personnaly don't play WoW, but wouldn't it be good if the dev team got of their arses and just pump out something new (no gameplay changes) like every 3 months.

Hmmm, after reading more comments it seems that WoW is suffering from the same thing every game in the bloody world is, it has become too accesible. Something is not replayable and does not feel rewarding nor is there any immersion if you don't have to work hard for it.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Actually, the problem was that Cataclysm, while flashy and shiny and new, was a real dud compared to Vanilla and the two previous expansions. I know, you can find someone who hates any and all of the expansions, but there was a general dissatisfaction in my guild regarding the way Cata was done. I think they got a bit too carried away with phasing and progression so that once you left a zone, especially the two starting zones, you never, ever went back except to farm mats, and Vashj'ir was a huge pain in that regard unless you were a Druid. The lack of a unified set of zones was a departure from BC and LK and it really fouled up being able to really feel like you were experiencing new content.

Yes, I know they redid the Old World, but I get the feeling that all the work went into that and Cata was tacked on as something for the max level toons to do. The lack of a full Worgen 1-20 experience was a huge misstep, as you barely get used to being a Worgen before you're shuffled off to be a Night Elf, while the Goblins got an entirely revamped zone with a ridiculous amount of work put into it. That just speaks to running out of time and giving up on doing more, as does the vast but empty city of Gilneas. I enjoyed leveling a human hunter from 1-60 through the new Old World than I did taking a couple of toons from 80-85 across the Cata zones.

And then it felt like I was back where I was in LK, only now the badge grind was mandatory and there wasn't an intro 10 man to loosen up in before tackling the harder raids. BC had Karazhan, LK had Naxx but to even think about hitting up raids in Cata, you needed to have ground out all your badge gear. And then there was the huge misstep of combining the raid lockouts, so that the age of the 25 man pug was over, and then the guild benefits system sealed the deal.

I could go on, and I'm sure some will disagree, tell me my guild sucked or that I should learn to play, but I'd been a subscriber since day one of retail up through the end of LK and I barely lasted a couple of months into Cata, and that was after I'd taken three months off at the end of LK to get ready for the new content.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
..."The solution? More new content at a faster pace."

How about *good* content at a faster pace.

I've been playing since day 1 and I've never disliked WoW more.. The main reason I still play is for the people in my guild.

Biggest Fails of Cataclysm:

Butchering the talent tree to half what they used to be, forcing cookie cutter to be mandatory. There is no room for creativity or individualization any more. Just because it's easier to balance.

Healing: They changed it too drastically too quickly. They should have made it more gradual. The VAST majority of players I know that quit the game were healers followed by tanks.

10 man content used to be much easier than 25. Now, 10 man is much much harder because losing even 1 or 2 people will very likely commit you to certain doom unless when you're guild is new to the content and doesn't over gear it by a good margin. Also you have less a selection of skills and classes available to aid in dealing with specific difficulties.

Several useful class skill/ability are useless in raid environments. They only work on little pissant enemies who you don't need the extra leverage on anyway.

Heroic Dungeons - too hard for the average player who doesn't overgear it or have friends that do. They aren't all that bad with a solid group, but random PuGs? Ugh. 1 idiot in your group can make it impossible.

I could go on but what's the point, they don't care what we think. They design it purely how they want to and our input means so very little, that's probably the worst thing about WoW.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
RanD00M said:
What they need to do is make original content again instead of this rehash bullshit they seem to be pulling. Also making it easier and easier may get the casual crowd in, but it alienates your biggest fans.
You mean like maybe recrafting the entire old world? That would be a great idea!

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
All great things must come to an end. History shows that all empires will inevitably fall...WoW included.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Canid117 said:
RanD00M said:
What they need to do is make original content again instead of this rehash bullshit they seem to be pulling. Also making it easier and easier may get the casual crowd in, but it alienates your biggest fans.
You mean like maybe recrafting the entire old world? That would be a great idea!
We've fought and killed Onyxia three times now. Nefarian twice, etc etc. They specialize in reusing stuff we've already seen and done. What they did to the old world is cool, I like that but reusing bosses without really explaining it is kind of strange. Like *poof* "Yeah, uh, all the raiding and sweating you did to kill these guys? Yeah.. Never happened."

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Make content harder, make it like TBC. That was some hard raiding. And heroics...... need I tack on Sunwell (was past hard raiding. It was torture). That will keep people around if they're leaving for lack/easy content.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Tiger Sora said:
Make content harder, make it like TBC. That was some hard raiding. And heroics...... need I tack on Sunwell (was past hard raiding. It was torture). That will keep people around if they're leaving for lack/easy content.
Harder content is always the same stuff I read everywhere in these conversation. It's not so simple.

They need to take more note that there is "Hardcore" and "Casual" players and instead of catering so heavily to one group, they need to make things for them both. Make simpler raids, moderate ones, and then brutal ones. They have the normal/heroic settings for bosses, maybe they should make an Epic setting for certain bosses. Having generally the same stuff for both obviously isn't the way to do it and that is what they are trying to do.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Sadly Blizzard doesn't realise that no company is going to churn out content faster than people can burn through it all.

Cataclysm raid contents are easy all said and dones, I've had harder encounters running through the older content on my prot warrior.
Cata is just filled with instant wipe mechanics that are easy to avoid if you're not totally retarded.
It's kind of sad really.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
BoogieManFL said:
Biggest Fails of Cataclysm:

Butchering the talent tree to half what they used to be, forcing cookie cutter to be mandatory. There is no room for creativity or individualization any more. Just because it's easier to balance.

Snip

10 man content used to be much easier than 25. Now, 10 man is much much harder because losing even 1 or 2 people will very likely commit you to certain doom unless when you're guild is new to the content and doesn't over gear it by a good margin. Also you have less a selection of skills and classes available to aid in dealing with specific difficulties.
Cutting down the trees didn't force us into cookie cutter specs, we have always been in cookie cutter specs because they have the highest functionality. Just like before, you might have a few points to throw where you want, but overall certain talents have always been too important to pass.

10ms were really only easier if you over geared them. Losing a single person in a 10m would be like losing 3 in a 25m, and certain fights were definitely harder with less people. I'm looking at you Sarth+3... The bosses had less health and the required DPS average was lower, but 10m raiders had less stats on their gear so it balanced out.

Side note: How do you figure we have fought Onyxia 3 times? The first was obviously the raid in vanilla, and I will allow you to claim the second as Blizzard's gift to us for the anniversary, though it was meant to be a fun throwback raid, not "new content". But I can't figure out the third...