Blizzard Unleashes Final, Jaw-Dropping StarCraft II Launch Trailer

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Argh, what is everyone's problem?! There's so many comments I want to quote and respond to, but that would take a little too long.

1. This is a STORY TRAILER. There's gonna be a lot of wonderful cinematics and in-game cutscenes to help tell the story and this is a nice trailer to showcase that.

2. Being that this is a STORY TRAILER, there is no need to show gameplay. This trailer is part of a much larger MARKETING CAMPAIGN that includes the battle reports, beta testing, and everything else. For those interested in GAMEPLAY, go watch one of the many gameplay videos available! Stop attacking this trailer for something that it's not.

3. Most of you attacking this are ALREADY AGAINST the game. Stop acting like it's this STORY TRAILER's fault that you don't like it. You were going to dislike this no matter what happened in the video. You hate it because you don't like the multiplayer. You hate it because you love Warhammer 40k so much. You hate it because it's popular. That's great for you. Whoopdie-doo. Why does everyone feel like Blizzard owes them something?

It's like it's not enough for you all to just dislike the game. You have hate Blizzard. Hate the fans. Hate the story. Ugh.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
exp. 99 said:
On the other hand, I really can't say I'm liking the plot turn this has. It's starting to look more and more like a tired old retold fantasy story. Hero is downtrodden, but is reached by group looking to stick it to the man, whom hero has history with. Hero says no. The man does something that pisses the hero off, likely involving getting folks killed over alien monsters/undead/pissed off neonazi country/etc and being inactive or deliberately being a bad person. Hero joins good guy group, and starts revolution. Revolution cancels when previously mentioned monstrous third party steps up, hero goes to kick monster tail, following the advice of mysterious elven/protoss/wizened old human sage to find magical macguffin. Hero finds macguffin, likely contested by the man, beats down the man and then triumphs over the monsters. This is pretty general fantasy novel material here, and I'm not convinced Blizzard can pull it off in a way convincing enough to make it worth the time.
Well those are all tropes, not cliches. Every story can be boiled down to tropes and made to sound boring, so that's not really fair. Although I'm glad you said "I'm not convinced Blizzard can pull it off in a way convincing enough to make it worth the time." That at least shows you acknowledge it's possible to be done well. I suppose where you and many fans would differ is your confidence in Blizzard.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That's fucking IT. I am going to finish the original StarCraft Terran campaign (was never too bothered, it just started growing stale) and I'm going to get this. Gods damn you Blizzard, DAMN YOU YOU HEAR ME!!!

Fuck me this just looks too epic, I just fear I'm going to get completely and totally creamed in the multi-player. I'd love to be able to play it properly, but...I don't know. Everyone else has such a massive lead!

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
redmarine said:
Blizzard's cinematic department should start making it into a full fletched movie. I'm impressed by the quality a gaming such as Blizzard can produce unlike some other company we know too well...
Why do you think the game costs $100? To pay for the cinematic department.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
obisean said:
I haven't read the rest of thread to see what happens yet, but I hope you brought your flame retardant suit. You're going to need it.
It's alright. Both those games i listed had complete crap content. I choose to believe possibly one of the best games out there will trump them even if their cinematics aren't as slick.

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
I'm a bit disappointed with this trailer. Oh sure it's epic and I had a nerdgasm after watching it, but I quickly realized I didn't have a better understanding of the story. I've watched most, if not all, of the previews and other videos, read Heaven's Devil's and The Dark Templar Saga, but this trailer doesn't give the slightest indication as to what to expect. Without already being a fan, how are we supposed to know that Valerian is the secret son of Arcturus Mengsk? or why Raynor is a threat to the Dominion?

It's one thing to keep a trailer free from spoilers, but I always thought the point of a trailer or demo was to encourage people who have no prior interest in your game or film to give it a shot.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
chemicalreaper said:
StarCraft seems to be kind of a cult-thing -- you either love it or you have no interest in it. (In case you couldn't tell, I fit into the second group.)
It's not a cult. It's a very good game. People tend to like good games.

If you don't like the genre, or don't like the particular choices of Starcraft inside the genre, it's ok. No one's forcing you to like it.

Some people, however, feel the need to dislike or even hate the game simply for being too popular. I don't know what's wrong with these people. Probably teenage rebelion.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
My problem with StarCraft II is really the same as with Warcraft III. The cinematics are awfully pretty, the story is engaging in a cheesy, "I still want to know the end' kind of way and I want to have it told to me... But the gameplay in the games are not the kind of gameplay that keeps me benched because I find the game fun to play. I am still sceptical about StarCraft II sadly even if this trailer made me want to play it for the story alone.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
rsvp42 said:
Argh, what is everyone's problem?! There's so many comments I want to quote and respond to, but that would take a little too long.

1. This is a STORY TRAILER. There's gonna be a lot of wonderful cinematics and in-game cutscenes to help tell the story and this is a nice trailer to showcase that.

2. Being that this is a STORY TRAILER, there is no need to show gameplay. This trailer is part of a much larger MARKETING CAMPAIGN that includes the battle reports, beta testing, and everything else. For those interested in GAMEPLAY, go watch one of the many gameplay videos available! Stop attacking this trailer for something that it's not.

3. Most of you attacking this are ALREADY AGAINST the game. Stop acting like it's this STORY TRAILER's fault that you don't like it. You were going to dislike this no matter what happened in the video. You hate it because you don't like the multiplayer. You hate it because you love Warhammer 40k so much. You hate it because it's popular. That's great for you. Whoopdie-doo. Why does everyone feel like Blizzard owes them something?

It's like it's not enough for you all to just dislike the game. You have hate Blizzard. Hate the fans. Hate the story. Ugh.
I endorse this product and/or service.

It's funny that people whine and compare StarCraft to Dawn of War and Halo, when the latter franchises are even worse offenders. Yes, yes, I know that both StarCraft and WarCraft are essentially Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy ripoffs, respectively, but don't ***** about stale characters or formulaic plots in StarCraft when the flagship of WH40K is Dawn of War. And don't even get me started on Halo...

Kebabco

Jun 5, 2010
chemicalreaper said:
Not trying to incur the wrath of Blizzard fanboys but... who wrote that script? George Lucas? It was awful! And the voice-acting wasn't much better. "Zerg, incoming" -- what is this, Toy Story? That doesn't sound threatening, that sounds like a group of pastry-making wankers who want to give you a cuddle.

Other than that, the trailer looked quite cool, I suppose. Still not cool enough to make me care enough about the game to buy it.
Have to agree here, the dialogue is god-awful. It's just copypasted from any standard hollywoodmovie; "What happened to (romantic interest" was not your fault", "Tell me why I shouldn't kill you right now..", "The answers you seek are withint".

FUCK I actually recognize these quotes and, given some time, could actually link 'm to movies i saw...... I'm getting old.

Anyway, piss-poor trailer.

edit: Also, where's is Jim Raynor's accent???? He had this southern drawl right? Why did they remove it, just to make him more generic? bleh

BoxCutter

Jul 3, 2009
Blizzard knows how to make a good trailer.

Pre-ordered my copy on Amazon, looking forward to playing some new Starcraft.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
BboyTeddyBear said:
agree with red marine. blizzard has had incredibly topnotch cgi dedication on detail since Wc3. (i have the dvd cinematics disc) and their trailers ALWAYS show they have the ability to make top notch cinematics. why not a movie?
Since WC3? Since they began making games they have always had stunning clips. Ahead of their time.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Odoylerules360 said:
So it's gonna be, like, a knock-off of Warhammer 40K?

And it's real-time strategy, so that trailer is essentially meaningless.
Firstly, you can't compare the two. They are two different things entirely. SC1 was unique even after 40k was made in 1987ish. Even if they were related, why does EVERYTHING need to be unique anyway? Case in point, it's not a knock off at all.

drdamo

May 17, 2010
Great movie, altho i do feel misled by it. Same goes for the WoW or Dragon Age cinematics. They're showing you a shiny porsche while in reality you get a SMART.
Or better said: D&D:The movie != D&D pen&paper.
Sure it looks great and its the same world allright, but the distance from the cinematics and the actual gameplay is far too great in my eyes.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
It seems that this is how you people had felt when Half Life 2 was going to be released. Starcraft and Brood War are games I've played ever since I was a little kid, and Brood War had set up for a sequel because of spoilers. So, it's great for the wait to be finally over, in just five more days.

However, the things that I'll be looking forward to is the Zerg and Protoss expansion packs, I was never really a fan of the Terran.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Necrofudge said:
samsonguy920 said:
Necrofudge said:
Strange... It seems like with the new game they completely factored out what happened in Starcraft: Broodwar. Maybe they announced it, but I never noticed until just now.
Actually I have a good feeling that Duran makes a quick appearance in the trailer. Look for the pasty faced guy who cloaks in the second half of the trailer. And there has been lots shown in trailers and gameplay that ties in with what was featured in Brood War.
One thing I know for sure is Fenix [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenix_(StarCraft)] won't be around. I liked him, and hated what I had to do when playing the Zerg in that expansion.
Blizzard was pretty clear that the Xel'naga themselves won't appear just yet(as was hinted at in Brood War that they might still be around), but that does not mean there isn't more to discover about them. Especially when there is more of their tech that will be unearthed.
Well I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that the Terran dominion still exists for some reason.
I'm not entirely sure (I haven't played the campaign in years) but I recall the UED (united earth directorate) being the Terran government at the end of the Broodwar campaign with the fourth and fifth mission of the Terran campaign having the player destroy the capital and kill the emperor.
The UED expedition led by two very naive but rather likeable Russian characters, General Gerard DuGalle and Major Alexei Stukov, was destroyed by Kerrigan's forces, but that was just an expedition...not the entire UED. The Dominion led by Arcturus Mengsk is still alive and well, although it did get its ass handed to it as well by the Zerg at the end of Brood War. Maybe Kerrigan could have continued the attack all the way to the capital and have her revenge on Mengsk but she decided to lay low. And with this new story we find out the fruits of her labors.
I guess I am that much of a Starcraft nerd to remember all that. But it also helped that I really get into that final cutscene in Brood Swarm. A general should never be put into a position that Gerard had been placed. Much as the UED sucks and I am glad they are out of the picture again, I really liked those two soldiers. And I look forward to Duran getting a nuke between the eyes.
"Someone call for an exterminator?"