Blizzard Unleashes Final, Jaw-Dropping StarCraft II Launch Trailer

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
At first I was wondering why it was pretty much nothing but negative comments, most commonly saying that it's ripping off Star Wars or Halo, but then I remembered the forums are largely populated by console players rather than PC gamers and a lot of the people will have missed out on the first Starcraft. But what I find funny is that with people saying it is ripping off say Halo, Starcraft 2 is pretty much the first but with better graphics so really even Star Wars 1-3 would then be ripping off Starcraft as apposed to SC ripping off SW and Halo.

Though non the less I think this is easily going to be the best game of the year and I can't wait for it, I'll have to travel down to London for the special release event. The trailer has done nothing but make me want it more and more, why is there no time travelling machine yet!?!?!?

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
So wait, shit... am I buying tickets or a game? 'Cause fuck me, I actually wanna see that movie.

NeoDMC

Feb 11, 2009
I like how people are like, "What is Starcraft? How is this supposed to get me to buy it? Why are they only marketing toward people who have played the first game?"

I'll tell you something. Blizzard doesn't need to market to you guys. If even half the amount of people who bought Starcraft buy Starcraft 2 they will have already made their money back. This game has already won, you people complaining don't matter at all.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I don't particularly like RTS games and I'm not all that exited abut StarCraft II.

And I still think that looked pretty awesome. If rather corny.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Well, I'll be honest, I didn't get it. I saw a nice trailer with great CGI and all, but this being an RTS (with any game really), wouldn't it be more appropriate to show at least SOME footage of gameplay?

Don't get me wrong, I want this game (I need to get a better computer first though) but this trailer (and the other one on this site) show nothing of gameplay, which I look towards the most when buying a game.

park92

Aug 1, 2009
Hubert South said:
How, exactly, does this tie into the fact that SC2 is a real-time strategy game? How, exactly, did it showcase any action that was not FPS-like?

For reference, take the DoW trailer/intro. You immediately get the feeling that that game is going to be some strategic type.

With this trailer, they could have written "generic thoughguy with a grude/lost love interest FPS nr. 424123412312".

But its not like sanity and reason will cull the hype. Only the release of the game will, once it dawns that, hey, this is SC1 with updated graphics.

Play some real strategy, you 5-minute attention span clickfesters.
Watch the DOW2 trailer again. It's just like the starcraft 2 trailer it's just there to entertain you. When did the space marines there ever use tactics, all they did was just shoot at the eldar and get owned. Besides who would be dumb enough to not know what genre the game that they are about to buy.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
park92 said:
Besides who would be dumb enough to not know what genre the game that they are about to buy.
If stereotypes have taught me anything, fps players would be.

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
park92 said:
Hubert South said:
How, exactly, does this tie into the fact that SC2 is a real-time strategy game? How, exactly, did it showcase any action that was not FPS-like?

For reference, take the DoW trailer/intro. You immediately get the feeling that that game is going to be some strategic type.

With this trailer, they could have written "generic thoughguy with a grude/lost love interest FPS nr. 424123412312".

But its not like sanity and reason will cull the hype. Only the release of the game will, once it dawns that, hey, this is SC1 with updated graphics.

Play some real strategy, you 5-minute attention span clickfesters.
Watch the DOW2 trailer again. It's just like the starcraft 2 trailer it's just there to entertain you. When did the space marines there ever use tactics, all they did was just shoot at the eldar and get owned. Besides who would be dumb enough to not know what genre the game that they are about to buy.
You know I don't think he said DoW2 there, buddy.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
This reminds me deeply of the DOW2 trailer, and they were both awesome in my opinion. Some of the dialogue seems cheesy though, but I guess that's inevitable.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Xzi said:
Great trailer. I love reading all the snarky little comments from people who always hate on everything Blizzard does for no reason other than it being "the cool thing to do," I guess.

Lest I remind them that there was a Blizzard before WoW, and it wasn't always hugely popular.
Blizzard's the proverbial rock stars of the video game world- in a span from WC2's initial release to WC3:TFT every single game they released were almost universally loved and garnered the kind of favor amongst reviewers that you fundamentally don't see in any other company.

WoW was also hugely popular but it was the first time Blizzard actually split it's fan base and ever since there's been people whom more or less feel that good things are, in fact, bad.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
See, this is why I'm all torn about Starcraft (and the old Warcraft RTS games): it's a pretty good story, interrupted by game. I don't mind strategy, but I could just never get in to Star/Wars/Craft's real-time style. If this were in any kind of format besides an RTS, I'd eat it up. So if I ever get ahold of a copy I'm just going to play the single-player with the cheats on just to get to the story.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
While I won't get this game (Lack a gaming PC, and I've got other games to look forward to this year), it looks simply stunning.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Indeed, also, if you haven't seen game play footage out the wazoo yet, then you haven't really looked for it...at all.

Dupeo

Mar 10, 2009
findler said:
Ugh, can't watch this since I'm at work... must wait. I wanna hear more about Tychus Findlay. Him and I have the same last name, so I'm going to pretend he's my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandson.
Shayne? Is that you?

Dupeo

Mar 10, 2009
I feel like a 14 year old girl who has the cast of Twilight tied up naked in her parents` basement but can`t go down there until July 21.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
that felt like a movie trailer :O it was THAT AWESOME!
and as pretty much everybody here thinks...BLizz should totally get into making full lenght CGI movie...they will blow away PIXAR right away...
But thing is...those cinematics take time to make....and blizz has alot of stuff going on right now..so i guess thats why they dont do it.
Also i do remember PIXAR saying that it takes them 4 years to make one of their movies so....
but i hope one day blizz will decide to spare some time and money and make at least 1 movie. Like Final Fantasy Advent children...its be good if blizz does a thing like that. a bridge between games.

Reep

Jul 23, 2008
As an animation and visual fx student, this made me cry tears of amazement

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
You know what Blizzard! Why can't you just hurry up and make a goddamn StarCraft movie! I don't mean a dinky, 5 min cutscene in your beautiful CG, sharply executed, powerfully written glory. You know what, YES, make it CG for all I care, you do it so damn awesomely anyway!
What I'm tired of is seeing these amazingly done trailers, building up so much anticipation, for a game who's genre itself seems to be keen keeping me at a distance! I mean that literally AND metaphorically.
First, I find it VERY hard to get to know characters that are zoomed out on a map to look like bugs on a lawn. If the trailer shows any indication, there are plenty of characters in the StarCraft universe that I would like to get invested in, either interactively or vicariously.
Secondly, I find the mechanics of most RTS games to be confusing, boundry-breaking engines that are more keen on my sending people to the slaughter than invest any time in getting to know. Oh, and I suck at them too, so there's another tick off my list on why I don't plan on buying this game.
But Blizzard PLEASE make something else, something I can dig into, something that doesn't stray into the RTS genre with the StarCraft universe. It could be an action/adventure game, a movie even, but PLEASE let me into your world!