Blockbuster Fizzles Into Bankruptcy

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
the blockbuster next to where I work is still open and to be honest this is sad news for me, I have fond memories of always going to that blockbuster to rent Super Nintendo games

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Honestly, the local Blockbuster sucked for years before Netflix came along.

Netflix is quick and easy, but I've been with them for less than a year. I didn't use Blockbuster before, and it's simply because they were awful. If I needed 27 copies of the latest John Cena B-Movie in a pinch, I could count on them. For stuff I care about? Nah.

I understand my hick-ass town might not be standard, but that's my experience. If they close Blockbuster here, I won't miss them. Hell, there's a good chance I won't notice.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
And nothing of value was lost...

Amazon has better price to buy most movies, redbox is cheaper and more convenient to rent older, crappier movies. Netflix streaming has a decent selection for the norms but not much if you have seen every damn movie in the genres you like.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I wonder what this means for Canadian blockbusters?

What happens to the inventory when the stores close? Do they have massive liquidation sales? Because if they do, I'm keeping an eye on the one down the street.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
yes!!! I saw a blockbuster around the area when i recently moved here. now i can go get cheep games!! i wish it still had consoles though...

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
XT inc said:
ehh blockbuster isn't threatened up here in canada, until we get an equivalent to netflix. Sorry blockbuster I was in the states for 2 months with netflix and for 10 beans a month and nearly unlimited selection of films on my xbox instead of 5 bucks a rental, yeah I think I'd just get netflix.
It's coming soon, Netflix announced something about it today.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
vansau said:
Look at the bright side: liquidation sales if there's still a store near your location.
I second this! When the two local Hollywood Videos closed I picked up about 100 or more DVDs for less than 5 bucks a pop. Good stuff too! Got my copy of Barry Gordy's Last Dragon out of Hollywood video. Also picked up a foreign film Storm Riders there too. Man I hope the local Blockbuster goes belly up cause I could stand to add another 100 or so DVDs to my collection and that's not even taking into consideration games and/or posters.

spacepope22

Dec 4, 2009
I remember entering the Blockbuster video game championship way back in the day. By the way, I played in the SEGA Genesis tournament.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
vansau said:
Look at the bright side: liquidation sales if there's still a store near your location.
... You just made my day, I life a football field away from a store, and they love me there!

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I never rent anymore, Blockbuster or otherwise. I used to be a rental monster, but now I can get the same movies from my cable company's pay-per-view service.

Also, as a small aside, I remember a time not so long ago when movie theaters were the endangered species and rental stores the over zealous game hunters killing them off. Amazing how a market shift and new technology can flip everything on its head.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
WhooHooo!!!! I hate Blockbuster, good riddance. (they charged me a late fee even though I dropped off the movie on time years ago. I will hate them forever for that.)

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
XT inc said:
ehh blockbuster isn't threatened up here in canada, until we get an equivalent to netflix. Sorry blockbuster I was in the states for 2 months with netflix and for 10 beans a month and nearly unlimited selection of films on my xbox instead of 5 bucks a rental, yeah I think I'd just get netflix.
HAVEN'T YOU HEARD?! Netflix is now available in Canada! They're offering a free one month trial too! GOGOGO!

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
How sad, there's a Blockbuster nearby and I wonder if it's closing.

If it is I guess those employees are out of jobs.

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
I swear, if my Blockbuster goes down, I'm going into full /wrist mode. Blockbuster's been the only one keeping me afloat in gaming for many, many years now. I don't have a credit card, so Netflix and Gamefly are out of the question.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, dosnt surprise me - With all the online stuff now as only a matter of time