Blockbuster Fizzles Into Bankruptcy

justjrandomuser

Jul 27, 2010
Good I never liked them anyway. They were always over priced and they never change any policy until well after its too late. Even their movie service that was meant to compete with netflix was a bust. It was more expensive and you didn't get any of the online content you get with netflix. The only highlight they had was that you could return them to the store... woopty doo! You couldn't get another one from the store so you still had to wait for the mail. Classic case of evolve or die. The only thing that amazes me is how they stayed in business this long.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
As I've said before, I'm more sorry for the countless small video stores they edged out of business... Stores that treated their customers better, stores with employees who were actually knowledgable about movies and cared about their customer base, stores that were neighborhood fixtures and in many cases more flexible and better capable of surviving the current financial landscape than big ol' monolithic Blockbuster.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I've seen a blockbuster store once.. But that was not in my country... So completely irrelevant to me.. Still bad that so many people will loose their jobs..

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
dalek sec said:
Mr.Mattress said:
It's always sad to hear about an all powerful business becoming Bankrupt and dieing. I was sad when Circuit City closed down all of it's shops (To be replaced with hhgregg), and I am sad here.

But, that's how capitalism works. It's not like all rentals are going down hill, just real life ones. Sorry Blockbuster, but you didn't play the game. We'll all miss you, and remember you as the Fore Father of Video Rentals.
You've pretty much summed up how I feel about Blockbuster going out like this. By the way, do you live in Memphis cause the Circuit City by us is now one of those weirdly named Hhgregg places. Guess I can try and find one and see if there's anything good on sale there.
No, I live in Eastern Maryland. Our Curcuit City also turned into Hhgregg.

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
As Geoff Ramsey once said about Hollywood Video "Couldn't happen to a more deserving company."
Fuck Blockbuster.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Mehh, there used to be a place near my old house we used to rent movies and games from called Star Videos, and they shut down about a year ago. I've only ever gone to Blockbuster to browse.
I kinda thought this was inevitable, with piracy and the fact people prefer to buy games.

Oh, oh, oh!

You could say they... Blockbusted.

YEEAAAHHHH.

[sub]...I'll leave now.[/sub]

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
vansau said:
Look at the bright side: liquidation sales if there's still a store near your location.
The store near me closed when they filed for bankrupcy.

DAMN YOU NETFLIX!!!!

*Sob*
[small] I gonna miss you block buster[/small]

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
For UK peeps, please note that Blockbuster UK is a separate company. For Canadian folk, note that Blockbuster for you haven't gone bankrupt, thus is likely to be sold off from the (bankrupt) US division.

JaketheRake

May 14, 2009
I am incredibly surprised that people are sorry to see Blockbuster go. There were a couple of people who said Blockbuster was the only place to rent video games in their area. Guess what, you can blame Blockbuster for that. Their business practices were horribly anti-consumer and they crushed competition out of existence.

For their anti-consumer practices, I get the idea that you need to charge a late fee for videos returned late, but to charge the price of the movie when you don't get the movie in by noon that day? And then when they came around 4 years too late they went off the deep-end and charged no late fees guaranteeing nothing would be in stock. Real smooth. Also, I saw several people mention how ridiculously expensive rentals were. That was because they raised prices after killing competition.

I am so glad Blockbuster is dying. The joy is literally trying to burst forth from my humble body. I don't rent movies often and I have at least a dozen vivid memories of when Blockbuster made me mad. There is one thing that never seems to be said in all these reports and all these comments. Maybe Blockbuster failed because people hate them and will not forgive them for being so unnecessarily mean and stupid. I know that is my reason. To the people that run Blockbuster, please feel like you are stupid epic failures. I hate your stupid company and I am glad it is dead.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
This, most likely, means that there are now no places that still rent games/movies now near my campus, and less store that still sell them (a total of one that sell used games now). Ugh, guess like I will be forced to use mail rental now if I ever want to try out a game/movie.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
the protaginist said:
NOOOOOOO!

Now how will I play whatever games as soon as they come out!?

I've have to buy them like everyone else.

Well Blockbuster, if that store down the road from me closes, you guys aren't getting that copy of Reach back.
You sir, have given me a very nefarious idea...
*Strokes chin and smirks evilly*

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
We laughed so hard at this article this morning that we had a student read it on the morning announcements...

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
As sad as it is to see a company fizzle out, a company that entertained a large portion of my childhood, no less.
I kind of hope the one near me closes soon.

I have a movie that is waaaaaaay overdue.