Borderlands is great.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Eclectic Dreck said:
Abedeus said:
Play with ventrillo.

OH SORRY. I forgot that only PCs have it.
Actually, using Vent might not be a terrible option. If you can be close enough to a PC, nothing stops you from using Vent. Back before VOIP was possible (pre high-speed internet days) I used a cordless phone and a headset to accomplish the same thing when playing Team Fortres (Quake) and Tribes 1.
I can be close enough to a computer, but it's a little awkward for him as his mic isn't wireless.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Spartan Bannana said:
In all my experiences with PS3 online, nobody uses their mic even IF it works.
Really?

I have a 360 but I kick or avoid everyone who doesn't talk unless its straight forward vs. At that point he/she is a bot with an ego I can bruise. You can really tell the difference between a team that talks to each other and a team of mutes.

You can't do strategy without communication. Mics are fairly cheap, why would you go without?

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
still waiting on that PC version... got all excited when Steam countdown got to 1 hour then BAM! 3 more days to wait. Fucken great.. It would appear that Valve made some sort of mistake along the way...at least PC users will have Steam voice chat to use the mic through. Could your PS3 issue be a bandwidth problem? I know mics on PC games get really choppy when iv gone over my cap

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
mikecoulter said:
Could it be that you haven't turned up your mic volume enough?
I can't adjust the volume for it, as I paired it with my ps3, so I can modulate my voice and change how it says, but i can't change the level on it.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Eclectic Dreck said:
Wireless internet can affect bluetooth if they are operating on similar frequency (and this is easily possible and readily solved). Bluetooth operates in a similar frequency range as several of the wireless standards (2.4 GHz), so if you are using an older router technology (b, g) you may have this problem.

With regards to PSN's voice chat. There is absolutely no technical reason why Sony cannot make it happen - anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. The problem is, as near as I can tell, that PSN at the launch of the PS3 was little more than a bare bones infrastructure idea. Where Xbox live offers an array of servicse hosted on microsoft servers that streamline the process of putting many games online, PSN it appears left it to the developers to figure out a way to make it work. Thus, in the early days developers did not have the ability to access a unified VOIP network but were instead forced to write or license their own code. Sony has since resolved this problem to an extent and allegedly firmware 3.10 will finally include cross game voice chat meaning that the chat function has been liberated from the game itself. The good news is that such a move means developers won't be forced to figure out how to make it work themselves and thus reinvent the wheel time and again. The bad news is Sony thus far as had a pretty poor track record with getting new features up and running smoothly so there will probably be a lot of day 0 problems.
Yep, exactly this.... I just wish Sony had put a little more effort into PSN instead of jamming Blu-Ray down our throats. So much potential with the system, and only recently has it started to realize it.

KjellKanon

Aug 6, 2009
I want this game, but if the mic problems are that severe (almost sounds like Bf 1943, which makes my blood boil) I might have to reconsider until Sony gets their fingers out of their asses and fixes us a proper voice chat program for the ps3.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
Honestly I don't care. I'll be getting Borderlands in a week plus I'll probably be getting it cheaper than you. And I wont have the following problems in addition to the PS3's mic problem:

Gamepot AU said:
Online issues at launch, including broken Friends list functionality
Borderlands for the PS3 got a rating of 8.0 becase of this while the 360 version got 8.5

So seriously? I don't give a flying shit.

EDIT: Also, the Steam version that was uploaded apparently was the censored version, and Steam is working to fix this.

So the only Borderlands copies out with no bugs is the 360 version (the non-Steam version doesn't suffer the Steam's problem though).

And it has come to the attention of the Gearbox mods that Lilith's Phase Strike ability may be broken.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Borderlands for the PS3 got a rating of 8.0 becase of this while the 360 version got 8.5

EDIT: Also, the Steam version that was uploaded apparently was the censored version, and Steam is working to fix this.

So the only Borderlands copies out with no bugs is the 360 version (the non-Steam version doesn't suffer the Steam's problem though).

And it has come to the attention of the Gearbox mods that Lilith's Phase Strike ability may be broken.
Ahh good old 360.... while the system may not work sometimes, at least the games do :).

EDIT: Except for Fable II... only way I could play that was to install it on the hard drive.

BlueMartian

Mar 22, 2009
Daedalus1942 said:
(go on and laugh 360 fanboys, you know you want to)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But seriously, I actually respect the PS3

OT: Played my mates 360 version of BL, seemed laggy as hell, but thats probably just because of the whole Australian lag shit

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
TPiddy said:
MercurySteam said:

Ahh good old 360.... while the system may not work sometimes, at least the games do :).

EDIT: Except for Fable II... only way I could play that was to install it on the hard drive.
Don't forget that Saints 2 will crash after every 6 hours straight of play if you didn't install it.

And my 360 has run pretty smoothly. 2008 360's with Jasper chipsets FTW!

However my friend bought his 360 after me and his console scratched his friend's Mass Effect disk. Plus he has his console sitting on a cooling rack in case of an overheat :D

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Don't forget that Saints 2 will crash after every 6 hours straight of play if you didn't install it.

However my friend bought his 360 after me and his console scratched his friend's Mass Effect disk. Plus he has his console sitting on a cooling rack in case of an overheat :D
Hmm, I've never had a problem with Saints Row 2, but then again I never played it 6 hours straight. I picked up an Elite with a Jasper chipset recently... manufacture date of March 2009.... :).

I scratched my own Mass Effect disc beyond the ability to trade it in. It still works though.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Haven't bought it yet, but I've got the 360 launch headset so it can go inside my mouth if I wanted.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
TPiddy said:
MercurySteam said:

Hmm, I've never had a problem with Saints Row 2, but then again I never played it 6 hours straight. I picked up an Elite with a Jasper chipset recently... manufacture date of March 2009.... :).

I scratched my own Mass Effect disc beyond the ability to trade it in. It still works though.
My friend got ME fixed so it's good now. Though I don't know how to tell the manufacture date.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Daedalus1942 said:
Honestly I don't care. I'll be getting Borderlands in a week plus I'll probably be getting it cheaper than you. And I wont have the following problems in addition to the PS3's mic problem:

Gamepot AU said:

I have to ask why are you being so hostile?
I haven't said anything to you. what's with the vindictive statement of "I'll probably be getting it cheaper than you". Wtf? you're personally attacking me because I've mentioned a few problems the PS3 version has?
I'm sure the game is far superiour on PC than ps3, but I just like the feel of my controller. That, and I probably couldn't run Borderlands at a graphical level where it would look decent, so I bought it on PS3.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
MercurySteam said:
Daedalus1942 said:

Gamepot AU said:

I haven't said anything to you. what's with the vindictive statement of "I'll probably be getting it cheaper than you". Wtf? you're personally attacking me because I've mentioned a few problems the PS3 version has?
I'm sure the game is far superiour on PC than ps3, but I just like the feel of my controller. That, and I probably couldn't run Borderlands at a graphical level where it would look decent, so I bought it on PS3.
I never said I was getting it for PC. I'm getting it for 360 for the exact same reasons you have it for PS3. And that "360 fanboys" thing ticked me off a small amount. So know you know why.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Daedalus1942 said:
MercurySteam said:
Daedalus1942 said:

Gamepot AU said:

I never said I was getting it for PC. I'm getting it for 360 for the exact same reasons you have it for PS3. And that "360 fanboys" thing ticked me off a small amount. So know you know why.
well? am I wrong? I'm not calling you a fanboy, but there's bound to be people who think "Haha, PS3 version is t3h su><orz! n00b, 360 has no issues with online *blah blah*. Well, in my defence, you guys pay for XBL, so it's maintained better.
Our online capability is all free.

Dumbfish1

Oct 17, 2008
Yaarrrr! We scurvy 360 owners have hijacked this here thread for our own!
Abandon all hope yea who attempt to talk ps3!

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
MercurySteam said:
My friend got ME fixed so it's good now. Though I don't know how to tell the manufacture date.
It's at the back by the serial number.