Borrowing permanently

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
I just started rewatching Watchmen, and it reminded me that my copy of the book isn't actually mine, at least it wasn't originally. A friend had at uni had let me borrow it, and partly due to circumstance (us going home for the summer) and me wanting to keep it, I never gave it back.

So just for the sake of idle chit chat, and as an insight into the type of people we really are, have you ever borrowed something from a friend or family member and never returned it? If so, what was it? Prize for the most elaborate.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
A copy of Super Paper Mario.

I borrowed it from some kids that I babysat, and hadn't quite finished it by the next time I went there. That ended up being the last time I ever babysat for them.

To be fair to me, I did call them and ask if they wanted it back, but they said they didn't (the parents and the kids, both), because they beat it and were going to get rid of it anyway. So I didn't feel too bad keeping it...

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
As a kid I borrowed my cousin's Final Fantasy X and have never given it back since. He's forgotten about it.

I feel no shame!

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Let's see.. A copy of some viking game for the ps2, Rune I think it's called. I forgot to give it back, then we moved and I haven't seen him since.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
My french teacher's spare numberplate...

I'm not actually sure where it is now, but if it's still in the house then it's been there for at least a good 7 years.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I 'borrowed' Left 4 Dead 2 and Halo Wars from one friend, CoD: World at War from another. I think they know I still have them, they just don't want them back.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I have a number of my father's CDs. When we lived together, our CD collections were put in the same place, and we just took whatever we wanted to listen to in the car. He probably has some of mine, too. Neither really cares much.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I have the first two seasons of big bang theory a friend lent to me because i never saw the show . She forgot about it , i keep forgetting to give it back , since i watched on episode and put it in the corner .

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I wanted, and may still, permanently borrow a netbook that's been sitting around the house. My mom was supposed to have it fixed for someone about a year ago. I'm pretty sure she lost the charger to it and won't ever get it fixed. So it's just sitting there being useless and collecting dust, becoming rapidly obsolete.

Unfortunately my brother (himself no stranger to permanent borrowing) overheard my plans to give it to my dad to fix it up for me, and decided to have a hypocritical moral crusade about it. I still might wait a few months until everyone re-forgets about it and do the same thing.

I also have a copy of Catcher in the Rye that apparently someone else took out of a library in Brooklyn.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I don't have anything that was borrowed with me. I respect my friends enough to give them their property back. I get the feeling there's bad karma in keeping stuff that isn't yours around, especially if you haven't been needing it for some time and its collecting dust. Ship it back to your friends.

That's how I see it.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
An aquaintance's (via a mutual friend) copy of Pokémon Blue.

Otherwise, it's a habit my brother has I think. I'm pretty sure over half of his Xbox 360 games are "borrowed".

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I always return what I borrowed. It sometimes takes years, but I always return it. So right now, everything in my apartment is mah propertah.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I have my friend's copy of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest that I'm not sure if I borrowed it or he gave it to me. Either way, it still has the $1 sticker from the used book store he found it in and the spine is held together with duct tape. It's my favorite book that I own.

merf1350

Sep 1, 2008
I haven't done it myself, but had it done to me. My buddy rented an n64 back in the day, and borrowed my ram upgrade so zelda would look nice.

Yeah, he forgot about it and returned the system with my upgrade in it.

I still give him shit about it to this day. Any time he trades in games I ask him which of my games he borrowed has he traded in now. To his credit he hasn't traded any of them in...yet.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
I 'borrowed' the original Command and Conquer (N64 version) from my uncle when I was 8ish. Well he divorced my Aunt a couple months after that and I haven't seen him since..... go figure.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
All my Mass Effects are 'borrowed' haha. Got ME1 from a friend who didn't like it, 2nd from a good friend and the third one from a friend who bought ME3 without even playing the first two. Why? I have no clue

And I've lent out tons of games. I know who has em but I could care less about them.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Two CSI dvds I asked if they wanted them back and they said no. As a rule of thumb I never lend something out without getting a lend in return, unless it's a real trustworthy friend. One of my friends has given me a few games for free because he's a top guy.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I borrowed a friend's copy of Freespace several years ago. Shortly after I did, we just lost touch.

I don't remember where he lives, and to be frank, I don't even remember his name. But I don't feel THAT bad about it, since I'm sure he borrowed something of mine at the exact same time.

...but I can't remember what that even WAS anymore. Think I've got a bit of a memory problem.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I've still got someone's original Xbox and about 20 of their games from about...6 years ago?
Yeah, they may have forgotten I have it at some point between 2006 and now. :p