Borrowing permanently

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I borrowed four bucks from a friend's brother so I could buy Pokémon White. Two-ish years later, I still haven't given back those four bucks.

A friend of mine borrowed my copy of the Divine Comedy last year or so. However, I never got to read Paradiso so I'm not gonna let him keep it. Another friend borrowed The Kingdom Keepers years ago. I haven't even talked to him in about a year, so I think that one's just gonna slide.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
As of right now, a copy of DMC4 and SC4. SC4 was a cousins (he knows I have it, but doesnt want it anymore), and DMC4 was my friend's... Though I consider that more... "equivalent exchange", as he has my copy of Bulletstorm and... of fuck, I cant remember... but I think I need to "barrow" something else from him to balance out.

Pinky

Mar 13, 2011
I have some books that my friend really wanted me to read.. for about uh five years. In my defence, I tried to give them back to her a few times, but she would ask me if I had read them... and I would say no... and she made me keep them.

[sub]I should have lied.[/sub]

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Sober Thal said:
Once again people who use the term 'Uni', are lacking...
...Lacking half a word?

Sometimes things don't make their way back to their rightful owners. Sometimes people don't get paid back for lunch in the long run. You can be anal about it and keep a list, or you can not randomly show up at the door of someone who hates your guts with two seasons of DragonBall Z. I've lost the last issue of Sandman to an infinite loan. (Not to mention all the comics I've 'lent' to my sister.) It doesn't really bother me.

I don't have an accountant following me around.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Pinky said:
I have some books that my friend really wanted me to read.. for about uh five years. In my defence, I tried to give them back to her a few times, but she would ask me if I had read them... and I would say no... and she made me keep them.

No, that's a trap. She'll ask questions. They always ask questions. I ask questions.

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
In early 2000, I let a friend of mine "borrow" my entire games library while I was out of town for two weeks. Big CD binder, back when that was still a thing.

When I came back, I found out from his roommate that he had moved to Texas (from Seattle) to live with a girl he knew via the internet.

One of the things in that binder was my new copy of System Shock 2.

It was a gift from my wife.

I never got to play it.

Pinky

Mar 13, 2011
ThrobbingEgo said:
Pinky said:

No, that's a trap. She'll ask questions. They always ask questions. I ask questions.
That is true. What about an elaborate lie though like.. preemptively reading plot synopses. It worked with the Matrix for me... it could work for Trigun..

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I do have quite a few things that friends have left with me and haven't really cared to pick up, but they're free to do so whenever they wish. Usually boardgames and such, since we'd usually play them at my place when they lived hereabouts.

But on the other hand, a friend borrowed my Power Blade for the NES, and then he suddenly moved. Once I got in contact with him again, he refused to return the game, and I haven't seen him since. (That was ages ago now.)

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Once again people who use the term 'Uni', are lacking...
What am I lacking exactly? It's a popular, widely used abbreviation that turns a five syllable word into a two syllable one, allowing it to fit more comfortably into informal conversation. What do you gain from calling me out on this?

Back on topic, I've remembered a couple of other things I've taken over the years. When I was about 10, my brother and I borrowed a copy of MGS1 from some guy who lived down the street. We had it for months, but eventually he managed to get it back from us, which is a shame because that game's amazing.

Also, when I was 15 I borrowed a copy of Apocalypse Now from a friend. However, with this one I intentionally planned on keeping it. He was a bit skanky though, and I'm pretty sure he later stole my 360 controller (without even pretending to borrow it!) so it's hard to feel too bad about it.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
Chunga the Great said:
My friend borrowed my copy of Halo 3: ODST then promptly moved to New Mexico.
This makes it sound like the two are related, like he borrowed it then went on the lamb.

QuartzQuadreant

Sep 14, 2012
When my grandparents died and we were getting rid of all their stuff, I essentially looted their bungalow. I mean, I didn't take anything valuable. Just some random things that I liked the look of and kept for sentimental reasons. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I also have a copy of 1984 that I borrowed from a friend I was at school with. I never gave it back. Haven't seen the guy since 2004.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I don't really think that I have ever permanently "borrowed" anything from anyone.
I think it's because I get absolutely furious with people when they don't return things to me on time.

Hell I'm still pissed at one of my former roommates, even after like 2 years. He asked to borrow $100 for something and I was hesitant because I had tuition due. He borrowed it on a Thursday and he said he was going to get his paycheck on Friday and cash it on Saturday so I would have enough to deposit it and pay my tuition which was due on Monday. I went to my parents Thursday night and came back Saturday afternoon and he was gone, he had moved all his stuff out. I heard 2nd hand much later that they guy was cut off from his parents because he had failed a bunch of classes. But I was still furious because I couldn't pay my tuition on time, got charged a hefty late fee by the school, which I couldn't pay off on time so I couldn't finish the semester. And I got shafted because we still were under contract for the apartment, which I had to pay off myself.
If I ever see the guy again, I would probably introduce his face to a brick wall.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Well, I suppose there are some things I borrowed from some friends. I think the Gears of War 3 copy I have is from a friend. But by the same token, whenever a friend asks me if he can borrow (lent ? :/) something, be it stuff or money, I never ask questions and never whine about it. My close group of friends know that we'll always give things back, but it might take years :p.

Ganath

Jan 24, 2011
My cousin borrowed me the Season 2 Box for Lost. I keep wanting to give it back to him but the bastard keeps postponing it. So now I havn't thought about it for awhile. This thread reminded me of it. I'm gonna pester him some more about it. Another cousin borrowed my first Horus Heresy book for her English Class and she hasn't returned that to me yet. If there's anything I value, it's my horus heresy collection D:

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
A couple of library books I checked out and promptly lost, 'cause I'm a bit of an arse like that. Closest thing to permanent was the Venus fly trap my Reception teacher lent me that I didn't return until I left at the end of year 4 xD