Bosses/enemies you feel sorry about killing

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Some of the Vigilante missions in City of Heroes have (had?) you do some pretty nasty stuff. Hearing a former gang member trying to reform cry out "Why? I thought you were one of the good guys..." as I beat him senseless did make me feel a few seconds of guilt.

Love Puppies & Mewkats in Spiral Knights, as they do nothing but heal you/follow you around making cute mewing noises but 90% of the time you still need to kill them to progress.

Multiwinians from Multiwinia, mine or the enemies. Burning Multiwinians emit a noise that will scar your soul for life.

I'll also third/fourth the Mulligans from The Binding of Isaac (except for the Kamikaze ones in Wrath of the Lamb, those guys are assholes), though given the state they're in you might be doing them a favour.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
The end for MGS3, I mean I had no problems with
Killing the boss, because the game said she was a bad guy. But then during the epilogue, when you find out what REALLY happened, you're just like... shit :'(

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Twyce said:
Dragon's Dogma

I felt bad for letting the King choke the queen to death. But I was pissed when I played through the first time and she accused ME of breaking into her room, when she really invited me. Still, the game gives you like a good three minutes of hearing/seeing her struggle while her husband strangles her to death. I almost went out there and took the fall for her...ALMOST.
Wait waaaaaaaa?!!! You can actually let that happen? I just jumped in because random murders are just uncool man. It was a totally innocent little midnight adventure in the Queen's bedchambers after all.

I am so sure I missed half the main quest informational stuff. Or maybe it just suffers from a sort of plot amnesia... Like when the King rages at you for that little tryst, has you whipped in the dungeons then after a few quests he gives you a shitton of stuff, money and his own blessing.

It's the curse of overly open world games I suppose, especially if the side quests have story in them and can expire over time.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I can think of two-

The Wyvern rider (the red hair girl as I can't remember her name) father in Fire Emblem: Radience Dawn. You heard from others that he is a good man and he is pretty much forced to figh for his evil nation but none the less still fight against you.

Alastor from Viewtiful Joe. Sorry but he's just too awesome to be killed off especially when he got a killer theme song!

Twyce

Mostly a Lurker
Apr 1, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Twyce said:
Wait waaaaaaaa?!!! You can actually let that happen? I just jumped in because random murders are just uncool man. It was a totally innocent little midnight adventure in the Queen's bedchambers after all.

I am so sure I missed half the main quest informational stuff. Or maybe it just suffers from a sort of plot amnesia... Like when the King rages at you for that little tryst, has you whipped in the dungeons then after a few quests he gives you a shitton of stuff, money and his own blessing.

It's the curse of overly open world games I suppose, especially if the side quests have story in them and can expire over time.
Oh yea, I let her die. On my first play through I saved her and got the whipping scene and I was just PISSED. Mainly because I was playing as a chick and it annoyed me to no end that the game had the Duchess automatically fall in love with me during the first conversation (no joke). I also really didn't want her to be my love interest at the end of the game. I had to cover my bases!!

You think its bad that the king gave you all the crap for attempting to sleep with his wife, if you let her die, NO ONE EVER MENTIONS IT AGAIN! Never, not once. It's like it never happened.

So yea, I agree. The game was all over the place with the plot (that's a subject for another thread though). I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

Also, to stay on topic, I also felt bad for...
defeating the dragon at the end, even if he was a ***** to kill. He was like my wise mentor who only had good intentions...which were shown by eating my heart...

Feb 28, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
I honestly can't see a reason why you would even consider killing her since she's questionably the only truly innocent person in the entire game [...]
Achievement Unlocked: Kill Crossbreed Priscilla ... there's why I killed her. I would say Dusk of Oolacile is more innocent than her.

The only boss I felt sorry for in Dark Souls has to be Sif. And don't get me started about how heartbreaking it will be to kill him after completing the DLC (which I plan to do)
... because in the new intro to the fight, he acknowledges that he has met you in the past and is reluctant to fight you.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Some of the psychopaths in Dead Rising

Most are crazy, but the cut-scene after you beat them usually has them die in... ironic(?) ways that make me feel guilty. Plus, some of the time, it's the protagonist's own fault for getting himself into said situation!

But on the other hand, I get to hear Frank/Chuck make a bad@$$ line out of it, so it evens out (but not that much)

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Oh and if you killed her for the phat lootz get out of my sight you terrible, terrible person. You have no place in this world!
I killed her. She held a lump sum of souls, a unique dragon weapon and her soul makes a unique weapon.
And I enjoyed doing it.
[HEADING=1]MUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA[/HEADING]

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to contribute.
Mine would be
Zeke. The guy stuck by you through the whole game. He went along with your evil choices, and didn't really mind much that you are evil. But fighting, and killing him at the end really made me feel bad, and he's the only one to ever affect me like that.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Infamous 2

Zeke. I mean the first time I did it I had to pause between each button press. I mean sure Zeke betrayed in the first game but I feel like he was really trying to improve in the second and some of the bro momments in the game with him and Cole. I mean. Its Zeke. He ends up being pretty cool.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
I only really started feeling bad for the colossi in Shadow of the Colossus when I got to the third or fourth one. The first flying one. He/she/it just sat there, watching me. I had to actively provoke it into attacking me, and even then, if you fall off, he'll leave you alone until you provoke him AGAIN. That was the moment I stopped feeling bad for Wander and his situation. Killing the one that doesn't ever attack you was also heartbreaking.

Absolutely NO ONE in Disgaea, which is weird, as I'm the kind of guy who will leave BANDITS in Skyrim alone if I can help it, just because I can't help but feel sorry for them. In Disgaea...meh. Hel will buy back anyone's life. If they had friends, they can be revived easily. So the ones who aren't coming back are most likely big jerks anyway. Most of the bandits in Skyrim at least seemed close, in a "We have to stick together to survive." kind of way.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Jimmy T. Malice said:
The Wykydtron said:
So any particular enemies tug your heartstrings when you're plunging a knife into their hearts?

Rare Dark Souls example, Crossbreed Priscilla. Apparently i'm one of those rare people who waved her goodbye and jumped off the cliff to safety. I honestly can't see a reason why you would even consider killing her since she's questionably the only truly innocent person in the entire game, from what little i've pieced together from the story elements.

Oh and if you killed her for the phat lootz get out of my sight you terrible, terrible person. You have no place in this world!
Crossbreed Priscilla is far from truly innocent. She claims that the Painted World is a peaceful place with kind inhabitants when it's full of bloated suicide-mutants, spear-wielding blobs and other monstrosities. She's also probably the daughter of Seath the Scaleless, and presumably she was banished to the Painted World for some reason.

Another example in Dark Souls would probably be Great Grey Wolf Sif, since he starts limping around when you are close to killing him. I still don't feel sorry for him, since he was trying to kill me up till that point, but many players say they do.
You'd probably feel sorry for Sif if you played the new content. Poor Sif. :(

OT: Sif.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
PsychicTaco115 said:
Some of the psychopaths in Dead Rising

Most are crazy, but the cut-scene after you beat them usually has them die in... ironic(?) ways that make me feel guilty. Plus, some of the time, it's the protagonist's own fault for getting himself into said situation!

But on the other hand, I get to hear Frank/Chuck make a bad@$$ line out of it, so it evens out (but not that much)
I think the worst one is Cliff (I think that's his name anyway), the war veteran one in the first game, who's gone crazy due to the zombies and everything and then after the battle he becomes sane and realises everything he's done.

In other games, The Boss immediately springs to mind.

When you use the White Phosphorus. I'd felt bad before I even knew there was civilians down there, because you see what happens earlier in the game

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
The opening boss of Good Egg Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 1.

You basically kill a newborn. Congrats.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Jimmy T. Malice said:
The Wykydtron said:
So any particular enemies tug your heartstrings when you're plunging a knife into their hearts?

Rare Dark Souls example, Crossbreed Priscilla. Apparently i'm one of those rare people who waved her goodbye and jumped off the cliff to safety. I honestly can't see a reason why you would even consider killing her since she's questionably the only truly innocent person in the entire game, from what little i've pieced together from the story elements.

Crossbreed Priscilla is far from truly innocent. She claims that the Painted World is a peaceful place with kind inhabitants when it's full of bloated suicide-mutants, spear-wielding blobs and other monstrosities. She's also probably the daughter of Seath the Scaleless, and presumably she was banished to the Painted World for some reason.

Another example in Dark Souls would probably be Great Grey Wolf Sif, since he starts limping around when you are close to killing him. I still don't feel sorry for him, since he was trying to kill me up till that point, but many players say they do.
Well considering all other bosses are jumping on my face the moment I come in the door having a nice dragon lady talk to me and offer a way out kinda throws her into my good books a little. Plus DS' story is so overly subtle and often not even there makes the fact that she is one of the only friendly faces out in the world take complete precedence.

I suppose next you'll tell me Gywnevere was actually plotting to kill me and seize some o' dat power right?

I like the "story" of Dark Souls don't get me wrong but there's being subtle, there's having fuck all happen and then there's Dark Souls sitting in some bizarre middle ground. There must be something wrong with a story when reading the wiki is a requirement to understanding the majority of it.

It needs a baseline is what i'm saying. You can't read into subtle things properly when you don't have a handle on the basic plot.
[spoiler:]Well, considering that Gwynevere is actually an illusion created by Dark Sun Gwyndolin, she probably is trying to kill you in some way. The grey morality in the story can only really be picked up on if you join the Darkwraiths, where Darkstalker Kaathe tells you about how the gods just want you to link the fire so that they can continue ruling over humanity.[/spoiler]

And yes, I didn't get most of this from the game itself because I didn't even know how to join the Darkwraiths until I read the wiki.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
I suppose next you'll tell me Gywnevere was actually plotting to kill me and seize some o' dat power right?
Uuuuuuh...
Considering she's an illusion created by Gwyndolin I don't think she's planning to kill you but I don't think actual Gwynevere knows you exist.

OT: Gotta be Sif, same game.
Fucking wolf.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
Gaslights in that "Bastion" location where you go for their core and thus doom their little flying remnant of the world. Ura, same reason.
Using mortar in Spec Ops: The Line
Little Sisters in Bioshock
All natural and some magical beasts in any game. Especially wolves.
All civilians in Just Cause 2 (even if you don't kill them but destroy infrastructure of their country)
Sometimes, very rarely, I feel sorry for the thugs in "Arkham City" - mostly in cases when they mention in chatter how I broke them some bones in "Arkham Asylum"

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Aerosteam 1908 said:
All the Colossi in Shadow of the Colossus.

Watching you kill them is as painful to your emotions as it is stabbing them in the head.
I've only killed 2 or 3 so far...and each time I killed one I felt like more and, more of an asshole.

---

I kind of feel bad about Red/Blue/Gary: your rival in the original Red/Blue/Yellow (also leaf green/ fire red). His Grandfather can't remember his name, he has an inferiority complex (hince his constant drive to prove himself as the best) and he was Pokemon Master for less than 10 minutes before you swoop in and whoop his ass. There is also speculation that in the original Green his Raticate dies aboard the S.S. Anne.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
I agree on the crossbreed Priscilla thing. Despite her lying her ass off about the realm she lives in, At least she had some kind words and didn't try to skewer me as soon as I stepped into her room.

Dark Souls has that kind of effect on me overall though. For example:

After I killed Queelag and went downstairs to meet her sister, I joined her covenant. Stopped playing for a few months then came back to it. Went to see her and because I was still rusty on the controls, accidentally threw a firebomb at her. When you wound her she holds herself and starts shivering in pain. I felt absolutely terrible. Fortunately, she gets better.

But I would also have to go with Maiden Astrea from Demon's Souls. Yeah, technically you don't have to kill her, but just her situation...

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Sometimes I feel a little twinge of guilt when I think about killing a soldier in Just Cause 2. All they're doing is living their lives and doing a job that they're pretty much forced to do. I'd imagine most of them dislike the government just as much as I do and would fight against it if they wouldn't be killed for doing so. It makes me a little sad.

But then I strap them to the back of a speeding automobile and watch them ride into the sunset and realize that all is well.