Boy Sees Boobs in Comic, Tells Mom, Mom Tells News

SodaDew

Sep 28, 2009
Americans are so sheltered, its a body part every female(almost) has breasts, don't cry and be scared. I blame the liberal media for such pussy kids.

The Iconnorclast

Mar 31, 2010
So the first thing the mom does is contact the news people of course, can't just return the comics and inform the store to take them off the kid shelves, no she has to waste news time by broadcasting her mistake to the world for 5 minutes of fame and at the same time give grief to Dollar Tree. How disgusting.

Triscut900

The Cracker
Dec 19, 2008
I saw nudity and i got mad
Who gets mad at boobs
shocked i can see but mad what is there to be angry about

Killjoi

Nov 25, 2009
A controversy about "The Spectre" ? It's oddly reminiscent of Mass Effect and Fox's SeXbox piece.

Supernaut565

Mar 18, 2009
That might just be the dumbest kid I have ever seen. Why would you turn something like that in to your parents? If when I was ten and I got my hands on a comic with nudity AND gratuitous violence that comic would be going some where safe. That kid just threw away a classic child hood memory for 30 seconds on TV.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
I find it sad that the human body is considered an inherently sexual sight.

Call me a nudist if you will, but our bodies are more than that. I think a nude body has its own dignity. The classic artists would probably agree with me on that as well.

Of course, the comic book, being an "adult" one, probably wasn't so mature in its expression. If I know adult fiction, it probably had over the top features. So I can understand both sides of this debate.

At the end of the day, it's not a kid's comic and shouldn't be in a collection kids would want, but a slip up is a slip up, and should be forgiven as such.

SodaDew said:
Americans are so sheltered, its a body part every female(almost) has breasts, don't cry and be scared. I blame the liberal media for such pussy kids.
Americans aren't necessarily sheltered. That's a bit of a generalisation. But religious people may tend to be due to their beliefs about sex, temptation, and the sin of lust, and America is the most religious country by popularity, as Western nations go. So I get where you're coming from with that.

I should correct you, though. You mean the conservative media. A "liberal" media would be more okay with expressing nudity and not afraid of it. Conservatism fears such revolutions, not liberalism.

Azraellod

Dec 23, 2008
Huh. And there was me thinking that most people at age 10 didn't really have a sex drive yet. Looking over the pages of replies belittling the kid's decision, I guess I must have been wrong about that.

Oh well, whatever.

While I think the mother over-reacted somewhat, the way the manager just saw what he was selling and started to take it down was amusing to me. True, he could have been doing that simply to avoid conflict and unwanted attention, but it doesn't make it less amusing in my eyes.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
whoops, O well. Honest mistakes happen. I am glad people are not freaking out about this.

Yopaz said:
Straying Bullet said:
The mother is a fool, at least briefly scan the content to be sure what you are buying is actually child-friendly.

Either way, I am glad they haven't sued the store for it.
I usually follow one rule when it comes to determining if a comic is children friendly. If it got a skull on a pike it's usually meant for older audiences. I hate hysterical parents who buy violent comics and then frown upon nudity.
I would prefer my kids seeing nudity than violence personally. Then again I have been labeled a bad parent.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Am I the only one that thinks that the news story should have been about a messed up ten year old boy instead? That kid is going to grow up to be one messed up dude.

On a side note, why is it bad for kids to see breasts? I understand genitals, but what's wrong with breasts? It's not like it corrupts kids, or else human kind would have never made it past the stone age. Anyone who was ever breast fed would have seen breasts (and indeed, done more than just looked), but then we're subjected to a 15 year period of no-breasts-allowed. Make sense much?

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
*Laughs!* I love how the kid's mom doesn't react to the grim reaper on the cover or evil undertones but worries about boobs. *facepalm*

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Straying Bullet said:
The mother is a fool, at least briefly scan the content to be sure what you are buying is actually child-friendly.

Either way, I am glad they haven't sued the store for it.
Especially given the skeleton with a scythe right on the cover.
Plus the barb wire and the skull on the post. Totally child friendly.

Why parents need to look at the object they are buying and decide if the game/movie/comic with the M/R rating and the guy with a chainsaw gun is right for their children.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
AboveUp said:
When will people ever learn that if something isn't for children and even tells you so on the cover or box, it really means it's not for them?

All this media-driven insanity is starting to grow tiring.
The overall packaging assured that the contents were family-friendly though. So ya can't blame the mom.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
breadlord said:
WAIT....So if it's offensive to them, but yet the guys are allowed to marry a lot of women for the sex.....Something doesn't add up.
Hi. Welcome to the year 2010, where women can vote, man has been to the moon, and Mormons don't practice polygamy. Guess which of those things has been true the longest.

ceeqanguel said:
Funny how girl magazines (I used the french mag "Cool!" for reference):

- ridiculously oversexualize pre-teen girls,
- basically have a message that says you're nothing and you don't deserve being alive if you are not a supermodel,
- and it is more important to be pretty and buy cosmetics and do what's trendy than being smart. I also notice there's nothing to promote education and career choice,
- And they also advertise sexy clothes and skin products that, of all things, INCREASE YOUR TITTIES SIZE FOR THE EXACT PURPOSE OF EVERY BOY ON THIS PLANET SEEING THEM...

But then boy sees titties and all hell breaks loose. I'd like the mother to consider this.
I agree that that is terrible, but I hardly think this mother has any obligation to care about what's printed in some French magazine. If you're trying to suggest she's somehow a hypocrite, you're doing a rather poor job of it.

Tehlanna TPX said:
I'm often amazed at what people find offensive for their children. America is so damn prudish, at times, it's a wonder any of our children even understand what sex really is by the time their adults.
It's called "sex ed classes". If kids have to resort to "learning" about sex from movies and comic books, then there are far greater problems at play than censorship.

squid5580 said:
Ok if that is the cover then isn't it kinda obvious that it isn't kid friendly?
It doesn't look too much more grimdark than some of the kids' cartoons from the same period, honestly. Remember, kids dig grimdark, even if the actual violence is kept at "kid safe" levels. And covers are often designed to look edgier than the comic inside, just to lure in readers.

Anyway, you know the old adage: "Don't judge a book by its cover."

generic gamer said:
Well if I'm honest the Escapist community are very similar to the readers of the Daily Mail in that they enjoy feeling outraged about something. The fact that they happen to be on complete opposite ends of the spectrum makes it funnier but essentially both groups like mouthing off about stuff they know they'll never be called upon to back up.
Ha ha ha. I almost wish we had signatures on this forum so I could stick that in mine.

dkuch said:
Seems to be a bit of a slow news day heh?
It's a local news team. They cover the goings-on of one city and, if they're anything like the stations over here, they have to fill more time than ABC, NBC and CBS combined spend reporting what's going on in the entire world. So yeah. They do get a bit desperate at times. ;)

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Wow. That kid is pretty stunned. And yes, my ten year old self would have said the same thing. At his age I had already seen "Heavy Metal" (watched many times since then), and had seen my share of "Conan" comics, which never skimped on the violence or T&A.

What the hell's up with the mom though? Contacting the media? Just go to the damn store and tell them yourself. Geez.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
O C'mon! as if this kind of moral issues would change his life forever!

at least he'll have something to tell to his friends at school...

GODoftheRIGOVERSE

Jul 25, 2009
Yeah its like when your hot female teacher gives you a BJ and you then she gets thrown into jail where she finds shes preggo and has your kid and is force to give it up for adoption