Breast Sizes and Complaints

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
This has me a bit baffled...
I was under the impression that most guys liked big breasts/hips/asses and that people like me who prefer smaller sizes where rare and also vilified as pedos or gay.
When did this turn-about happen and where was I?

To me number 1 & 3 look just a bit larger than normal but nr 2 is definitely in the Large section (at least for that body type).
Nintendo of America has started heavily censoring some games. One example was the main character of Xenoblade chronicles X. The player was, in non puritanical countries, able to select the chest size in the figure that was supposed to represent her.
However it was feared the player would select a chestsize that was to large or to small to be decent and thus everybody player has a character with the same B cup.
They also removed religious and philosophical references as player might get her head hurting with all those complex things.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Hell, basically every adult woman I knew until I went to college who wasn't an old lady had a breasts like;

Etc.
Nooooooooo, lol. Those women had bras which made you THINK they had breasts like that. A natural, unsupported breast always sags a bit, unless the woman is very flat chested. It has more of a summer squash shape about it. If a truly naked breast really looks like a perfect orange protruding from the woman's chest, then 9 times out of 10 that breast has been augmented. Bras and shapewear are very deceitful things. Until the end of the day when I take my bra off and see my ladies in their natural form, even I can be tricked to believe I have perfectly round fruits under my shirt, as opposed to the small, stunted eggplants they really are. The most radical thing breast augmentation does to a breast isn't actually the overall enlargement--it's the taking away of the natural downward slope that leads to the areola, rounding it off and making the entire shape of the breast a perfect hemisphere. Basically, it makes the breast the shape it appears to be when it's supported in a bra.

Also, the way the DOA jiggle physics look, one might be tricked into thinking breasts have the consistency of water balloons and are supported by inner lighter-than-air ballasts. But they aren't, they've got a lot of fat in them, which makes them thicker and weightier. To be perfectly blunt, they move less like heavenly helium pillows and more like unfettered ball sacks.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WinterWyvern said:
Because for me, the new Lara is horribly sexist.
Okay, I asked you why you didn't simply say you liked blank slates in the first place, and why you accused me of a double standard, and this was your answer. Are you actually saying you accused me of a position I didn't hold because you think new Lara is sexist? That doesn't make any sense.

I can't help it, it's just how I feel. It's not a rational thought, but a gut feeling I get. I just hate her, far more than the harmless silly babes of games like DoA2. Because Lara is supposed to be "taken seriously".
And this was a justification to go after me, go on the offensive for things I didn't say? To then misrepressent me and change your argument multiple times?

As for the whole "blank slate" thing, nobody ever complains that Master Chef or Link are blank slates, but apparently it was a problem for Lara to be, if we can bring the whole "she has a personality now!" argument in her defense.
Hello! I do. I just said that. That was when you started defending blank slates as being popular for a reason. Except I think it's a farce when they get chosen as top characters, because they're not really characters.

Look, this conversation is going nowhere so I think we should return to the topic of big breasts. I don't want to offend anyone here, but I'm sure the very fact that I find the new Lara sexist is going to offend some people (as it's bound to happen whenever anyone finds something sexist, I suppose).
If you're honestly concerned about offending people, stop doing what you just did. Unlike Lara, I'm a real person with agency and tend to resent people putting words in my mouth and attacking me over them.

Weirdly enough, the point that spawned this in the first place was a rejection of the notion that women had to have massive breasts to be sexy. Which it now seems you're in agreement with.

Apr 24, 2008
Ok.

Personally, I like big boobs. I like them on real women, and often I like them on fictional women too. I'm not particularly concerned with normality being portrayed in video-games. Those are just my feelings.

What I will say is that it's possible to over-do anything. Whilst big-boobs are awesome, if all boobs are big, then potentially it could make big boobs less special, you know? It's just a theory, I've never actually lived in a world where all boobs were big... It might be great.

"Peaks and valleys" seems like an appropriate way to phrase it. If boobs don't have peaks and valleys then they're just a square block, and nobody would like that. It's bad enough that some boob jobs look like they just filled the boob up with lego.

I rest my case.

Feb 26, 2014
I thought I was the only one who noticed this! Almost every damn woman I know is top heavy. I don't ever really notice unless I try because in reality, unlike video games or comics(more like Manga really), breasts don't have their own pockets in shirts. I never really considered the breast sizes in anything other than Japanese entertainment abnormal because of the fact that I'm surrounded by melons. I honestly prefer they not be so big, but I'm apparently in the minority.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Something Amyss said:
WinterWyvern said:
I hate the new Lara for a series of reasons.

- She is MORE sexualized now that she is "realistic" than when she was a perfect hourglass-shaped woman with balloon boobs.

- "You will want to protect her". Cue sexy and pointless moanings of Lara during the game.

- She went from being her own character to simply being a female version of Nathan Drake (even including the sexy "goodlooking person in danger and dirt" thing).
Oldschool Lara was only slightly more of a character than the paddles in Pong.
Oldschool Lara wasn't in a game that was trying to be a character driven drama. (I'm not going to count American Lara, just the one in TR 1-5, because they're somewhat different characters)

New Laras character is....what exactly? "I'm scared" and "I can do this"? She's no more of a character than old school Lara croft, but oldschool Lara Croft wasn't pretending or trying to be anything else other than an action hero. New Lara just gets off on "dem feels" and because shes "vulnerable", she's not so much a character as a dramatic set piece for punishment. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed TR2013, but lets not pretend it told an amazing story because it didn't. Everyone is a stock character through and through.

To me, Old Lara was way better as a strong female character. She may not be a particularly complex or deep character, but her gender is never bought up, even her enemies respect her as an enemy and at what she does, heck, Sophia Leigh asks for her autograph. She isn't a strong "female", she's just strong. Yes, we don't go into her likes and dislikes, her inner demons, her struggles for survival, but not every story needs that. She's a superhero.

New Laras story isn't even told very well, she goes from being a timid, unsure and weak personality to uber capable action hero quite literally overnight. Yes, its a video game, all video game characters do impossible things for a living, but this is a game that's trying to tell a "grounded", character driven drama, and that doesn't work if you accelerate and compress time.

I don't like being beaten over the head with the notion that not only is she female, but she's SOOO CAPABLE. Because in my head I just say "So what? So was my Lara, and the game didn't feel the need to remind me of it every five seconds." It's almost the opposite of its own goal, because I was never under the impression that women can't be capable action heroes in the first place, in its attempt to be empowering, it faulters because it begins with the notion that she couldn't be powerful /because/ she is female and must overcome that, despite the fact that I'm playing fucking Tomb Raider, a series known for its badass action lead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/9893950/Lara-Croft-in-Tomb-Raider-I-dont-need-reminding-that-shes-a-woman.html

Is something I'm going to add as a supplementary piece to my thoughts.

Sep 13, 2009
OP, whatever your personal experience may be, those are far from the average size of breasts. Most of those are what large breasts look like, and the rest are what fake, really large breasts look like.

WinterWyvern said:
I'll say it again: all of these characters are among the most popular characters in gaming. There is a reason for that. Maybe because being a "cardboard cutout which is a vessel for people to project on"... ISN'T A BAD THING IN A VIDEOGAME.
There's a major difference in a character intended to be a self insert for the player, and a character in which the player wants to insert himself.

Both can be bland and devoid of characterization, though only one of them generally serves the purpose of projection.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
For me, size is only a small part of a complicated equation that includes perkiness, breast/waist ratio,, waist/hip ratio, and many others.

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
There's nothing wrong with liking big breasts (in this case I'll say D and above) or butts or anything. The issue as I understand it is that there's not much variety and people are capable of liking more than just big breasts, butts ext.

Honestly, I find the new Lara more attractive. Possibly because I'm sexually attracted to dirt.

<.<
I highly doubt that.

What is far more likely is that you are more comfortable with the new Lara. It's the reason that Hollywoods female scene is almost exclusively made of thin women with small breasts and women like Christina Hendricks are very rare despite the appeal to males.

Large breasts are seen as sexual and appealing to men and we can't have that can we. You must admit that most things with large breasted women is attacked by a fairly large, nasty and vocal group who think they are morally right.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WinterWyvern said:
What I attacked was the character of the new Lara.
Except when accusing me of things not said and making completely contradictory claims.

elvor0 said:
Oldschool Lara wasn't in a game that was trying to be a character driven drama. (I'm not going to count American Lara, just the one in TR 1-5, because they're somewhat different characters)\
Not the point, and I don't really care how you feel about either Lara. A claim, a false claim as to Lara's character was made. WW made a positive claim about Lara's character. Apparently, the real reason had nothing to do with what I said (seems to be a running theme) but because she has such a massive dislike for current Lara (also seems to be a running theme).

If you're not addressing that, then you're not addressing my only point on the matter.

Well, except the one where I said I was more attracted to new Lara than old one. Speaking of....

Gengisgame said:
I highly doubt that.
You can doubt my sexuality all you want, but I find new Lara to be more sexually attractive. You can accuse me of lying or try and police your own sense of sexual standards on me, but new Lara's the one I would rather fuck.

Though I don't find "comfort" and "attractiveness" to be mutually exclusive, either.

Also, sounds like you're arguing cultivation theory, which is the same one that argues video games can enforce and normalise sexism. Might want to pick your arguments better, because I know you don't like that argument.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Chances are you did indeed know a lot of women with breasts that big (at least clothed and supported by a bra)- but chances are they had more than 3% body fat, unlike a lot of those women.

There really isn't a meaningful "average" breast size, because breast size is decided first by how much adipose fat is stored in your body and secondly by the distribution of that adipose fat and thirdly by genetic factors that may make them bigger or smaller than others with similar body types.

I think what some might be asking for is not that huge breasts are bad, but that character designers occasionally maybe, just maybe consider making a character with bigger boobs that also has the body fat composition that would justify such a bust.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
T&A is fine and all but give me some HOT, THICK PHAT girls any day a da week; so far, Ellie from Borderlands 2 is my only girl that meets that image (that I know of, admittedly), other women that are drawn like that are intentionally made to be ugly or otherwise disgusting.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ravenshrike said:
In fairness it depends on which 'oldschool' Lara Wyvern means. True oldschool LC had only slightly more character than the pong paddles.
That would be great, but WW went on to talk up the perks of the blank slate character, so that seems an argument for the early character.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
WinterWyvern said:
I don't mind them, but I like them only when they're wellmade. No, Lara wasn't wellmade, but she was the very first female self-insert character, and it meant a lot for me when I was a young girl. Things are changing and female protagonists in videogames are getting more varied and cooler, but back in those days Lara was nearly the only time I was a female protagonist.
A lot of my female friends (and my mother) really liked the Tomb Raider games, and I think despite the widespread criticism of Lara as a character, she was really appealing.

But honestly I think Samus Aran was a much better "self-insert" female character. Maybe that's just me though (also I believe in Super Metroid she was 6ft 3 which is incredibly refreshing compared to all the dainty women featured in other games).

MarsAtlas said:
I know most teenage boys never really had a decent way to understand how breasts worked but now with videogame boob physics and photoshop I think they're worse off than ever. I like burying my face into somebody cleavage as much as the next gynephile but boobs aren't helium balloons on the inside of somebody's chest. They're fat. The fatter you are the bigger your boobs will get.
I thought they were like bags of sand? :^)

But yes, even small breasts have weight to them. If they're like any kinds of balloons, they're like water balloons. And not water balloons filled to maximum capacity.

No offence OP, but maybe you should stop basing your views on women from anime and video games.