British Newspaper Blames Videogames for Rise in Rickets

Oct 14, 2010
And it was only July that the Daily Star published a ridiculously incorrect story about "Grand Theft Auto Rothbury" [http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/jul/24/dailystar-medialaw].

Lesson: Don't trust British papers named after celestial bodies.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
vrbtny said:
Please, as a Briton myself, do not think the entire of Britain is like that.

Some of us are quite reasonable...
OT: It's The Sun, they are silly.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
FightThePower said:
I hate the British media. Not just The Sun; all of them are lying bastards.
That's a little harsh. We do have Charlie Brooker and... Jeremy Paxman... and... David Mitchell... and a few other semi-truthful people.
Agreed - Statements a little over the top really - All media lies, dosnt matter what nationality it happens to be..

Well, maybe not lie, but bend the truth.

In the Suns case though...I think they left the truth behind a long, long time ago

Solstrana91

Sep 4, 2004
I guessed it would be the Sun before I clicked the link.
Then stopped reading when my thoughts were confirmed.

Any like minded Brit would do the same, and we urge our gaming brothers and sisters from over seas to ignore this shit compiled into pages as we do.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
vrbtny said:
Please, as a Britain myself, do not think the entire of Britain is like that.

Some of us are quite reasonable...
So is the Sun, like, the short bus of British print media or something?

Aug 25, 2009
While it wouldn't be fair to say that videogames cause rickets, to say that the new modern children's lifestyle has led to a decrease in their outdoors activites would be totally fair, and videogames are a part of that.

What the Sun are tactfully forgetting to mention is that part of the reason no kids are allowed outside anymore is because newspapers like the Sun have spread the fear that there are rabid dogs, cars and paedophiles around every tree in the dreaded 'outdoors.'

They are just as much to blame for parents not letting their children go outside as anyone else in this debacle.

TomOfTheCross

Jun 23, 2009
I know you guys are intelligent enough to see that the Sun is full of shit, but let's put it in perspective.
It is read by over 3 million people a day, now that's just copies sold. About another several million will read it after that.
It has influence over a lot of the UK, when they changed political agendas to conservative earlier this year. What do you know, a lot more conservatives got in.
So it does mean something, it means probably a lot more hate from people who know nothing but what the papers tell them.
P.S read the guardian, it has Brooker

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
THIS JUST IN!

Scientific studies prove BEYOND ANY DOUBT that videogames are designed by SATAN HIMSELF for the sole purpose of corrupting and/or killing YOUR CHILDREN!!

Also, the Earth is flat, the Pyramids were built by aliens and Seth Rogan is funny.

...yeah, I wouldn't pay any attention to this crap either.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
Because, as we know, videogames have only appeared in the last 1-2 year- oh, wait...

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
FightThePower said:
I hate the British media. Not just The Sun; all of them are lying bastards.
Even the BBC? They're obligated by law to be impartial, and are most of the time.

As other people have said, it's The Sun for christs sake. Pay it no heed. A large majority of readers probably don't even read the paper, they just like the pictures of naked women.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
Whenever I watch Fox News I laugh at America and almost find myself regretting that we don't have something similarly stupid. Then every now and then I get wind of the Sun doing something like this and I feel like crying. I'm sorry America, now that the shoes on the other foot I can feel your pain. :(

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Sorry Escapist I stopped reading when I realized your Source was 'The Sun'.

Cleverly Disguised British Tabloids Ftl.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
It's weird, because I grew up with the understanding that 'tabloid' was just another word for 'bullshit'. I think I had the view that everyone knew this fact (like believing the sun to be hot) and just bought them out of amusement, like a sort of adult comic.

Now that I'm older, I sometimes get the eerie sense that actually a lot of people DON'T automatically equate tabloids with sensationalist exaggerations or falsehoods and that... is pretty frightening.

Although not as bad as where I live in Australia, where the commercial news channels are, essentially, televised tabloids.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
MonsterZero74 said:
There's content in the Sun after page 3? I never knew that.
I must be the only one in the country who doesn't even look at Page 3 :>

"Oh...hey jubblies...Ooh political news! *reads*"

OT: The Sun isn't a very good source of factual information. I only read it for the football news/results.

However if possible I try and read the Daily Telegraph's sports page. That actually increases my vocabulary.