Bullet Storm, An overall ..meh

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Bullet storm is just for shits and giggles in my book, and it is just fun to play. Nothing over the top or deep and harmonious. Its just something to make just feel warm and fuzzy inside as you impale an enemy on a cactus. Hell, its just something that you can just enjoy and never be stressed at all by.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I haven't played it, but I just watched Russ' review on this site and I have to admit I was surprised. I hadn't really thought about the game much but it was brought home to me exactly how little actual substance the game has.

Now - don't get me wrong here, I know I haven't played it, and I know that it's not exactly trying to win prizes for story and characterisation - it's going for over the top shooting. That's fine, and I'd probably be able to fill an entertaining hour or so with it.

I just don't think I've seen a game recently that enticed me less to play it? Perhaps I just need a story; this game gives me more of a 'bonus unlockable frenzy mode in a larger game' vibe. Maybe it's one of those things that becomes hysterically fun if you play it with a friend or two?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ya this was clear from the demo, the point system turns fun into work, you can't just pop someone in the head because then you missed out on a ton of points, you haveto find a good set of things to do and then not just do it on one guy, but force yourself to do it on every guy you see... it truly gets horribly tedious.
If they had a no-points mode I would enjoy that far more.

vault69

Feb 22, 2011
TEMHOTA said:
It's Epic, what did anyone expect? Their brains checked out and called it quits when they went primarily console developer.
My friend you are right on the money
but as a side note People Can Fly made it Epic just happened to own them

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
*Sits back*

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.259540-Why-is-every-one-so-excited-for-Bulletstorm?page=1

I called it...

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I would say from my brief time with it that Bulletstorm is actually quite enjoyable, and there was quite a lot of attention paid to GET OVER HERE ***** WE'RE GONNA DO THIS THE HARD WAY

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
*Sits back*

Aaahhh... I pity you all that can't enjoy stupid, mindless fun shooters anymore. Hopefully none of you are looking forward to Duke Nukem Forever.

Fun to sit back and watch a thread full of negative comments about a game many in this thread haven't even played.... Cause we all know Demos show a game's full potential.

Flame all you like.. I will enjoy one of the few shooters that's not another Call of Duty clone... mmm tastey... it's good to still enjoy things.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
I was under the impression that any complaint about the dialogue being cheesy or vulgar was automatically invalid. They used the word "dicktits" in one of the ads. Come on, what did you expect? If you buy a game that's supposed to be entirely about mindless over the top violence and profanity, it's a bit foolish to be disappointed when that's what you get.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
The story looked terrible and considering it's pretty much a single player game (no comp multi?), that's a no-no. Also the terrible 'Hey, I just shot a guy in the bum' type humour is just too off putting. I'm all for some craziness and 'fun shooters' but come on. Bulletstorm needs to grow up you guys. Come on, you guys. You suck, you guys. *Clone High reference*

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Gamesradar gave the fucking thing a 10/10. Bullshit. Me and the friend of mine that bought it who I played it with were most dissapoint indeed.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Omikron009 said:
I was under the impression that any complaint about the dialogue being cheesy or vulgar was automatically invalid. They used the word "dicktits" in one of the ads. Come on, what did you expect? If you buy a game that's supposed to be entirely about mindless over the top violence and profanity, it's a bit foolish to be disappointed when that's what you get.
I concur. I mean, come on... "dick-tits"! With something like that, you really think the game was gonna try and be some grand adventure like Ocarina of Time or something? Conker's Bad Fur Day was just as juvenile if not more (about the only game where getting pissy drunk" takes a literal meaning) and no one saw a problem with that. So what's so wrong about this?

Jack Macaque

Jan 29, 2011
It just seemed to add less than a handful of 'new' things that would get boring after an hour, and I think I'm right on that.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I was going to say "You're putting too much emphasis on the single player mode of a game that's clearly meant for multiplayer", but if what people say here is true, that there isn't a competitive multiplayer mode and a bunch of different types of multiplayer games, they really shot themselves in the balls with this one.

I was looking at Bulletstorm as the spiritual successor to Unreal Tournament. Without the "Tournament" aspect, this is really going to suck balls.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I believe that the only reason that the game was hyped up anyway was because a pop psychologist said that it "could cause rape". In a way, I bet the people who made "Bulletstorm" was high fiving each other due to the free publicity they got and of course people were going to be curious as to what the game is about and possibly buy it. It comes as no suprise that the collective call now is "meh".

Just adding my two cents :)

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
I kind of thought that this would be the kind of game that one would love or hate right from the first trailer. I don´t understand how someone can go into this with wrong expectations.
I thought the trailers looked rather dull and repetetive, so I expected the game to be that way.
For me at least, there are loads of people more capable of enjoying themselves, and more power to them!
Maturity is overrated, and fun immaturity clearly is not.
Its just not for me.

Though I must say, "dicktits" is a very, very epic expression!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Yaaay, I'm an average Escapist who scoffs at professional reviews yet TOTALLY believes the first random topic he sees on the game to be complete and utter truth and I won't even bother to look for myself. GO ME!

Seriously though, "I knew it"?

I'm not even the biggest fan of the game and am incredibly dissapointed they took away the coop, but this is ridiculous.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Skorpyo said:
*Sigh*

Between this and the statement by ARS-technica that DNF was "just not good", I'm really starting to lose hope in seeing some good, non-realistic shooters anymore.
Try Halo, or any game with regenerating health in the last 5 years. ;P

OT: Meh, I wasn't really invested in Bulletstorm to begin with, and every time someone said "Oh man, you gotta check out this fucking awesome new video of Bulletstorm!" it always fell flat and failed to impress.
I don't know what it is about games like DNF and Bulletstorm, but they just look really, really lame.
I don't know how people expected it to be that great, yet I'm already hearing people whinging about how Bulletstorm was "really crass" or "overly childish". What did you expect? If after People Can Fly's first game Painkiller they follow up with a game like Bulletstorm, I seriously start wondering weather PCF's accolades were warranted, or if they are the M. Night Shayamalamadingdong of madern gaming developers. Weather they're alternative, fun-loving designers, or just popped-collar fratboys.*

*O.O I just read the above jumble of words, and I'm deeply sorry for the rant.