Buying my first gun.

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
Mazza35 said:
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

I just got back from my holiday on Hamilton island, I got to have my first real go with a few different hand guns, a Glock 9mm, SW .38, SW.357 magnum and the fabled SW .44 Magnum.

I had an absolute ball and it has convinced me to purchase my first gun.

The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)

what do you guys think?

do any of you own any firearms or even go shooting yourselves?
Well if you want to get a a pistol in Australia, (for Victoria, not sure about NSW) you have to attend at least 12 pistol shoots a year, if you want an easier way to shoot shit, go for a longarms (rifles) license, you still have to get a legal reasons for wanting one, like, hunting, you live on a farm and you need to control wild animals, target shooting. Not just, I want a gun because they are cool.

I think you should get a M1911 or Glock of somesort. For rifles, you can't beat a Lee Enfield No.1 Mk I or III :)
I do thank you for your advice :)

but I know I can't say "guns are cool" I was always going to select the "target shooting" for my small arms license, I very much want to take up shooting as a hobby :)

and in NSW we cant get a handgun over a .38 caliber which means the M1911 is a no go :p that is a .45ACP :p

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

I just got back from my holiday on Hamilton island, I got to have my first real go with a few different hand guns, a Glock 9mm, SW .38, SW.357 magnum and the fabled SW .44 Magnum.

The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)

what do you guys think?

if you have the hands for it a 9mm is a great pistal but i prefer my .45 colt, more stopping power and its got a good weight to it.

Keneth

Oct 14, 2011
I was raised in a very rural area of Indiana, USA. Gun ownership is just a way of life around here. Almost everyone I know owns rifle, shotgun, or pistol for hunting and vermin control purposes. I myself have a nice Mossberg 20 guage for deer and an old Marlin .22 for "Varmints." I also have a Smith & Wesson .38 special revolver in my nightstand "just in case."

I prefer the smaller caliber pistols because I've never been a very big guy. I put a few rounds through an acquaintance of mine's .50 Desert Eagle. The recoil on the thing was ridiculous. In the time it took to aim, fire, and recover from one shot out of that monster, I could have emptied all 5 chambers of my revolver into a target.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Rainforce said:
Go to war. Shoot someone. GET SHOT.
Then come back and tell me about how we need more guns in our life. DO IT.
This response is about as irrational as the talking lemon that is singing and dancing next to me on my desk.
//End Sarcasm

Blaming a machine for the deeds of man is not only just as irrational, but outright stupid.

Grow up.

Senordesol said it better than I ever could have. Please, kindly troll somewhere else.

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
I'd say a minigun imo, like the ones you see in action movies. No one will mess with you if you have one of those.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Jegsimmons said:
OK i used hyperbole but Australia, Britain, Canada, and even japan have experienced an increase in crime since their handgun bans or introduction to gun control.
the rest of Europe may not be suffering to to being landlocked or something. but to be fair, i havent check the rest of Europe.
I don't know about Britain, Canada or Japan, but crime in Australia decreased after gun controls were introduced. You could argue that it didn't do much to increase the rate that crime was decreasing, but saying that it increased the amounr of crime is wrong.
really now? didnt the murder rate actually rise after the gun ban when the gov. spent 500 million dollars to destroy guns?

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Staskala said:
Jegsimmons said:
OK i used hyperbole but Australia, Britain, Canada, and even japan have experienced an increase in crime since their handgun bans or introduction to gun control.
the rest of Europe may not be suffering to to being landlocked or something. but to be fair, i havent check the rest of Europe.
Well, then don't talk about "Europe" when you're only talking about the UK. The UK has some... "social issues", their violent crime rate has fuck all to do with the availability of firearms.
Japan has one of the lowest crime rates in the world and they have guns outlawed since pretty much the end of WWII. In Japan's case it's also important to note that anti-gun laws are only sparsely enforced, with firearms not that hard to come by on the black market.

I'm so tired of people who know jack shit making up stuff to justify firearms. Just looking at a few wikipedia articles and drawing conclusions from thin air hardly makes for a good point. Nothing against you personally, but it makes being a sports shooter that much harder when everyone thinks of people like you when they hear "gun owner".
.........because i made a point and backed it up with a source?

i have no idea what you're getting act.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:
II Scarecrow II said:
Jegsimmons said:
Tazzy da Devil said:
Get a water gun, the only type of gun worth getting. Seriously, why on Earth do you want a gun?
hmmm, lets see, protection because every single country that has outlawed or heavily restricted guns has seen an increase in violent crime while US cities are shown to have less crime when gun bans are lifted?
or because its say....pfft....a fucking gun hobby?
You're kidding right?? Despite the fact that Australia has such stringent gun laws, we also have some of the lowest gun violence. Go figure.

The US on the other has some of the highest. Who'd a thunk it??
violent crime does not always equal gun violence. learn to read.
and explain why everyone in Switzerland has an assault rifle yet has something like 34 murders while Britain has almost no guns and is more violent than the US?

Also, consider the fact that:
USA has over 300 million people
is bordered with a country that is ran by criminals
and that most gun crime is comitted by people who dont buy guns legally (black market, smuggling, stolen, ect)
AND in every city that has had a gun ban has experienced a sharp increase in crime and when congress struck down all gun bans crime in these cities started to go down, like in chicago, DC, ect.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html
I do not think that anyone needs a gun but I understand why you want one. But just so you know quoting The Daily Mail in an argument is like quoting Fox news.
fox news is a legit source. ergo an unpopular one, but legit.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Jegsimmons said:

I haven't seen any source for your ridiculous claim that
Jegsimmons said:
every single country that has outlawed or heavily restricted guns has seen an increase in violent crime
And by the way, if you actually bothered to find a decent source on the UK instead of the fucking dailymail you would have also read this
telegraph said:
Researchers admit that comparisons of crime data between countries must be viewed with caution because of differing criminal justice systems and how crimes are reported and measured.

A Home Office spokesperson said: "These figures are misleading. Levels of police recorded crime statistics from different countries are simply not comparable since they are affected by many factors, for example the recording of violent crime in other countries may not include behaviour that we would categorise as violent crime."

"Violent crime in England and Wales has fallen by almost a half since a peak in 1995 but we are not complacent and know there is still work to do. "
on the very same study. There is no such thing as "violent crime", some countries don't even use that concept and those which do have varying definitions as for what counts as a violent crime and what not. The only thing that's defined the same everywhere is the homicide rate [http://chartsbin.com/view/1454].
So as I've said you can't make a claim either way - pro or against gun ownership - by just comparing random statistics. And if you honestly think that the UK has "high amounts of violent crime" because of firearms restrictions or that Switzerland has "low amounts of violent crime" because of firearm availability you simply know jack shit about either of those countries.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:
II Scarecrow II said:
Jegsimmons said:
Tazzy da Devil said:
Get a water gun, the only type of gun worth getting. Seriously, why on Earth do you want a gun?
hmmm, lets see, protection because every single country that has outlawed or heavily restricted guns has seen an increase in violent crime while US cities are shown to have less crime when gun bans are lifted?
You're kidding right?? Despite the fact that Australia has such stringent gun laws, we also have some of the lowest gun violence. Go figure.

and explain why everyone in Switzerland has an assault rifle yet has something like 34 murders while Britain has almost no guns and is more violent than the US?

and that most gun crime is comitted by people who dont buy guns legally (black market, smuggling, stolen, ect)
AND in every city that has had a gun ban has experienced a sharp increase in crime and when congress struck down all gun bans crime in these cities started to go down, like in chicago, DC, ect.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html
I do not think that anyone needs a gun but I understand why you want one. But just so you know quoting The Daily Mail in an argument is like quoting Fox news.
This just in The Muppets are Communist's and are corrupting children with there communist ways.
Most of what they say is total shit. Maybe I have been spoiled living in the UK as we have the BBC and they have to be Unbiased by law, but as far as I am concerned you cannot be biased towards a specific political party and call yourself news.

Fair and balanced. When I fould out that was their motto I laughed for 10 strait minutes.

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
Malyc said:
Somehow, I knew this thread would turn into another "Don't buy gun, buy sword" argument from people who don't understand that shooting is a perfectly acceptable, enjoyable, and fun hobby.

amen brother,

shooting to me is no different from shooting a basketball,

aim, throw or fire and make the target and celebrate when I eventually get the target or score 2-3 points ... :)

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Grant Hobba said:
Aur0ra145 said:
How much are you willing to spend?

up to 1k,

I want a decent enough handgun to at least compensate for my in experience :p
Okie dokie, do you prefer a hammer fired or striker fired handgun? I can help you a whole lot more if I know what you sort of want.

Some notes on strikers
"Pre-set strikers apply only to semi-automatic handguns. Upon firing a cartridge or loading the chamber, the striker will rest in a partially cocked position. The trigger serves the function of completing the cocking cycle and then releasing the striker. While technically two actions, it differs from a double-action trigger in that the trigger is not capable of fully cocking the striker or hammer. It differs from single action in that if the striker or hammer were to release, it would generally not be capable of igniting the primer. Examples of pre-set strikers are the Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, Kahr Arms, and Ruger SR series pistols."
Some stuff on double-action/single-action AKA hammer fired

"A double-action/single-action (DA/SA) firearm combines the features of both mechanisms. Often called traditional double action, these terms apply almost exclusively to semi-automatic handguns. The function of this trigger mechanism is identical to a DA revolver. However, the firing mechanism automatically cocks the hammer or striker after the gun is fired. This mechanism will cock and release the hammer when the hammer is in the down position, but, on each subsequent shot, the trigger will function as a single action. The Mateba Autorevolver is a semi-automatic revolver that functions on a DA/SA system. The Beretta 92 is a good example of a DA/SA semi-automatic pistol. On many DA/SA pistols (including the Beretta), there is the option to cock the hammer before the first shot is fired. This removes the heavy pull of the double-action. Also, there is often a de-cocker to return the pistol to double-action." FNH, H&K, Colt 1911 and revolvers.

Note: some handguns are double action only (H&K USP-40 DAO) and some are single action only (Colt 1911)

I personally prefer hammer fired handguns. Though the new FNS-40 has got me thinking about buying a striker fired handgun.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Jegsimmons said:
II Scarecrow II said:
Jegsimmons said:
Tazzy da Devil said:

This just in The Muppets are Communist's and are corrupting children with there communist ways.
Most of what they say is total shit. Maybe I have been spoiled living in the UK as we have the BBC and they have to be Unbiased by law, but as far as I am concerned you cannot be biased towards a specific political party and call yourself news.

Fair and balanced. When I fould out that was their motto I laughed for 10 strait minutes.
oh i'm sorry, but if i'm not mistaken, but isn't one of the BBC new's criticisms is supporting liberal biases?

buddy, every damn news network is biased. ALL OF THEM. MSNBC, CNN, FOX, CBS, even comedy news like colbert and john stewart are left wing.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Staskala said:
Jegsimmons said:

I haven't seen any source for your ridiculous claim that
Jegsimmons said:
every single country that has outlawed or heavily restricted guns has seen an increase in violent crime
And by the way, if you actually bothered to find a decent source on the UK instead of the fucking dailymail you would have also read this
telegraph said:
Researchers admit that comparisons of crime data between countries must be viewed with caution because of differing criminal justice systems and how crimes are reported and measured.

A Home Office spokesperson said: "These figures are misleading. Levels of police recorded crime statistics from different countries are simply not comparable since they are affected by many factors, for example the recording of violent crime in other countries may not include behaviour that we would categorise as violent crime."

"Violent crime in England and Wales has fallen by almost a half since a peak in 1995 but we are not complacent and know there is still work to do. "
on the very same study. There is no such thing as "violent crime", some countries don't even use that concept and those which do have varying definitions as for what counts as a violent crime and what not. The only thing that's defined the same everywhere is the homicide rate [http://chartsbin.com/view/1454].
So as I've said you can't make a claim either way - pro or against gun ownership - by just comparing random statistics. And if you honestly think that the UK has "high amounts of violent crime" because of firearms restrictions or that Switzerland has "low amounts of violent crime" because of firearm availability you simply know jack shit about either of those countries.
i have sources, and if you dont like them how about a google search, you are at a PC. take advantage of that.

Also, definition of violent crime: "A violent crime or crime of violence is a crime in which the offender uses or threatens to use violent force upon the victim."

im pretty sure thats near universal.

Also, even if i dont know jack shit about those countries, riddle me this, isn't it odd that a country with guns isnt nearly as violent as anti-gun activist would claim? no matter how you look at it, its a valid point.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Rheinmetall said:
in my opinion one should stay away from real guns in their everyday life as much as possible. Anything can happen.
What?

Someone who has done military service actually believes firearms have a will of their own?

Whoa, you guys shouldn't issue firearms to the armed forces. "Anything can happen", after all.

@ everyone who doesn't think shooting is a legitimate activity

Watch the whole 3 minutes and tell me you don't want a bolt action rifle and a big ass farm of your own.

Rainforce said:
Go to war. Shoot someone. GET SHOT.
Then come back and tell me about how we need more guns in our life. DO IT.

Most irrational and illogical post I have seen in the Escapist. And usually the Escapist has a lot of them.

jdun

Aug 5, 2008
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

what do you guys think?

I own a number of firearms and I do have CZ75B and SW revolvers. You can't go wrong with them. I currently carrying Glock 19 as my primary conceal weapon. The Glock 19 is considered by many the best all around handgun. However in near future I think I switch to Kahr CW9 for my primary conceal carry because it smaller.

The CZ75B is a very very good pistol. It is the most cloned handgun in the world. It is a full length handgun so that means not very concealable. Let me know if you have questions on handguns.

There are a lot of gun forums on the web. I suggest you might want to take a look at AR15.com in the handgun section.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
jdun said:
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

what do you guys think?

I own a number of firearms and I do have CZ75B and SW revolvers. You can't go wrong with them. I currently carrying Glock 19 as my primary conceal weapon. The Glock 19 is considered by many the best all around handgun. However in near future I think I switch to Kahr CW9 for my primary conceal carry because it smaller.

The CZ75B is a very very good pistol. It is the most cloned handgun in the world. It is a full length handgun so that means not very concealable. Let me know if you have questions on handguns.

There are a lot of gun forum on the web. I suggest you might want to take a look at AR15.com in the handgun section.
I have a Kahr CW9 as my primary conceal weapon. It's a great gun. I have it tricked out with a Crimson Trace laser sight. With proper handling it is a great gun, it is a happy medium between a full sized handgun like my Glock 22 and a pocket gun like my mom's lady smith .38 special.

The one word of advice I do have with it is if you ride the slide of your handguns you will have problems with a CW9. If the slide doesn't have 100% power to slide forward the first bullet won't feed. Even the lightest touch can cause problems if you don't let go all the way.

It does have a REALLY long trigger pull too. Obnoxiously so almost. But that is the only problem I've found with it.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I don't know if skeet shooting is legal in Australia, but if it is, I'd get a shotgun and find a place to do that. Skeet shooting is crazy fun in my book