Buying my first gun.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
WolfThomas said:
Semi-automatics are a catergory C firearms (with a mag restriction of 10) in Australia, you need to be a primary producer (farmer) who can prove that CAT A+B firearms (pump, bolt, lever action rifles, lever and break action shotguns) aren't enough. Or a professional hunter/culler can get ONE semi-automatic with up to a 30 round mag.

With handguns you get either a sporting license (with 10round limit) or one for professional security purposes (no limit). With the sporting one you can't shoot greater than .38 without a dispensation.
Good to know, as I said I'm not terribly familiar with Australia's laws on firearm possession. If you're limited to long guns I would personally go with a bolt action rifle for their reliability, and fewer moving parts means a more stable chambering of the round, resulting in better accuracy. Although at this point, there's really not much of a difference between a lever, pump, or bolt action, it's just a personal preference, they all do well unless you're shooting out to 500 yards. However for home defense a lever action might not be a bad idea, lever actions can be manufactured to fire fire pistol cartridges such as .38, .357, and .44 magnum. But then again, I'm not sure if that would be legal in Australia without extensive papers. They're considered a rifle, but they fire pistol cartridges, and judging by the quoted comment, anything above .38 seems to be a no-no for most people.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Grant Hobba said:
The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)

what do you guys think?
The CZ75 hands down. The CZ75 is the most accurate handgun in the world.

Although you'll probably be stuck with a "new" model since the (more accurate wood gripped) old model is super expensive collector's item now.

Either way, CZ75s are fucking awesome. Just ask Rally Vincent. ^^

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
and explain why everyone in Switzerland has an assault rifle yet has something like 34 murders
Because if they break open the case on their government issued assault rifle for anything but their military duties then they face lengthy prison sentences.

while Britain has almost no guns and is more violent than the US?
Simply not true. In fact Detroit (a city of approximately 5 million people) had more murders than the entire United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and our 14 overseas territories (somewhere in the region of 70 million people, and Northern Ireland was still considered to be an operational warzone until 2006, and still aint the happiest place on earth) last year.

Incidentally, and I bet you'll reply before getting this far - I've not said whether or not I believe in gun control/banning guns. My point is simply that your facts are wrong, and you've failed to take into consideration any factors that may actually affect this particular debate. But let's see if you register that before you reply eh?

Dec 14, 2009
I have a strange relationship with guns.

From an engineering perspective, I love guns.

Nothing feels more satisfying than reloading a bolt-action rifle or reloading a revolver. Those clean lines, the precisce moving parts.

But at the same time, they're tools designed for killing. And they're designed well for it.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Lumber Barber said:
Be a man and buy a Musket, not the wussy guns of today.
Hah! My friend actually owns a matchlock Brown Bess .75 ball muzzleloader he uses for reenacting wargames and performances. Obviously, they just detonate rolled cartridges without the wadding or shot for safety purposes during play, but they do sometimes do live fires at targets...

Great noisy fun shooting it off, but hopelessly inaccurate... hence the historical use of formations and volley fire. It's extremely heavy at 16 pounds and 5'-some feet long.

jdun

Aug 5, 2008
ElPatron said:
Rheinmetall said:
in my opinion one should stay away from real guns in their everyday life as much as possible. Anything can happen.
What?

Someone who has done military service actually believes firearms have a will of their own?

Whoa, you guys shouldn't issue firearms to the armed forces. "Anything can happen", after all.

@ everyone who doesn't think shooting is a legitimate activity

Watch the whole 3 minutes and tell me you don't want a bolt action rifle and a big ass farm of your own.
The most fun I have is cowboy shooting. Dress like a cowboy. Act like a cowboy. The shooting course are done like the wild west. Very enjoyable.

http://www.sassnet.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kGQQ9wjzOw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH96vANEjMQ

There are many type of competitive shooting from 3 guns to IDPA to precision shooting to Skeet shooting. The ever growing list of competitive shooting scene.

IPSC with Laetitia Daguenel
http://youtu.be/SEXJrgugePI

I believe 3 gun shooting is growing the fastest of all competitive shooting sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAKRvCvLiHk&feature=related

jdun

Aug 5, 2008
Jodah said:
jdun said:
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

I just got back from my holiday on Hamilton island, I got to have my first real go with a few different hand guns, a Glock 9mm, SW .38, SW.357 magnum and the fabled SW .44 Magnum.

I had an absolute ball and it has convinced me to purchase my first gun.

The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)

what do you guys think?

do any of you own any firearms or even go shooting yourselves?
I own a number of firearms and I do have CZ75B and SW revolvers. You can't go wrong with them. I currently carrying Glock 19 as my primary conceal weapon. The Glock 19 is considered by many the best all around handgun. However in near future I think I switch to Kahr CW9 for my primary conceal carry because it smaller.

The CZ75B is a very very good pistol. It is the most cloned handgun in the world. It is a full length handgun so that means not very concealable. Let me know if you have questions on handguns.

There are a lot of gun forum on the web. I suggest you might want to take a look at AR15.com in the handgun section.
I have a Kahr CW9 as my primary conceal weapon. It's a great gun. I have it tricked out with a Crimson Trace laser sight. With proper handling it is a great gun, it is a happy medium between a full sized handgun like my Glock 22 and a pocket gun like my mom's lady smith .38 special.

The one word of advice I do have with it is if you ride the slide of your handguns you will have problems with a CW9. If the slide doesn't have 100% power to slide forward the first bullet won't feed. Even the lightest touch can cause problems if you don't let go all the way.

It does have a REALLY long trigger pull too. Obnoxiously so almost. But that is the only problem I've found with it.
I'm thinking about getting one in the very near future. Is the recoil spring standard or modified (extra strength) on your CW9?

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
jdun said:
The most fun I have is cowboy shooting. Dress like a cowboy. Act like a cowboy. The shooting course are done like the wild west. Very enjoyable.
Not into it. I don't like role-playing that much. For that I have airsoft and just pretend to be an "OPERATOR".

Not specifically interested in black powder guns either. I would definitely buy a load of "cap and ball" revolvers if I was in the US. They are cheap and to me more valuable than a Hi Point. But since I am not I wouldn't bother.

I need to be 21 to have a collector's license, and it is required even if the firearms have been deactivated. Which is pretty stupid since you can have a regular license when you're 18. Heck, if you want a shotgun you can do the exams when you're 16 and you have a legit hunting license.

I prefer clay shooting and plink at longer ranges. Or just make wax slugs and shoot things.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
i have sources, and if you dont like them how about a google search, you are at a PC. take advantage of that.

Also, definition of violent crime: "A violent crime or crime of violence is a crime in which the offender uses or threatens to use violent force upon the victim."

im pretty sure thats near universal.
No, it's not. Many countries only count crimes as violent if the assault actually results in injuries, some only if the injuries are at least "mild", a very small number only if the injuries could have resulted in serious bodily harm. Hence why "violent crime" is completely fucking useless to make any comparisons.
Also, even if i dont know jack shit about those countries, riddle me this, isn't it odd that a country with guns isnt nearly as violent as anti-gun activist would claim?
Because you don't even know why "everyone in Switzerland has an assault rifle"?

jdun

Aug 5, 2008
Stu35 said:
and explain why everyone in Switzerland has an assault rifle yet has something like 34 murders
Because if they break open the case on their government issued assault rifle for anything but their military duties then they face lengthy prison sentences.
That bullshit. If that is the case then every person in Switzerland would have gone to jail. Switzerland have their own annual national shooting where the government provide free ammo for everybody.

Switzerland have a proud tradition of taking out their rifles that the government gave to them for shooing. The rifles belong to them forever. It is pass through generations.

http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/video/staring-down-the-barrel-of-switzerlands-gun-tradit.shtml

http://www.knabenschiessen.ch/htdocs/?m=index&action=view_home

To our Switzerland friends. I understand that liberals have attempted to ban guns in your country and failed. Fight back and don't give them an inch.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Staskala said:
Jegsimmons said:
i have sources, and if you dont like them how about a google search, you are at a PC. take advantage of that.

Also, definition of violent crime: "A violent crime or crime of violence is a crime in which the offender uses or threatens to use violent force upon the victim."

im pretty sure thats near universal.
No, it's not. Many countries only count crimes as violent if the assault actually results in injuries, some only if the injuries are at least "mild", a very small number only if the injuries could have resulted in serious bodily harm. Hence why "violent crime" is completely fucking useless to make any comparisons.
so even using a stricter definition of violent crime, they still have an increase in violent crime and Britain still has more violent crime than the US.......what was your point?
Also, even if i dont know jack shit about those countries, riddle me this, isn't it odd that a country with guns isnt nearly as violent as anti-gun activist would claim?
Because you don't even know why "everyone in Switzerland has an assault rifle"?[/quote]

apparently for the same god damn reasons the US does, protection and foreign invaders and to build up a militia when needed.

Sep 30, 2010
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

I just got back from my holiday on Hamilton island, I got to have my first real go with a few different hand guns, a Glock 9mm, SW .38, SW.357 magnum and the fabled SW .44 Magnum.

what do you guys think?

I own several and shoot frequently. I'm a big fan of the CZ 75 and CZ in general although I'm curious as to what model CZ 75 you were looking at (CZ 75B or pre-b). 9mm ammo is fairly inexpensive as far as handgun calibers go (at least in the states) although I love the feel of a .38 special. .38 Special ammo is significantly more expensive though. I actually really like shooting .22LR even though it's not a very large or manly caliber. I've got a CZ 452 rifle in .22LR and it's great fun to shoot. I've also got an SKS made in the 70's that's great to shoot as well, especially since surplus 7.62x39 is about the same price as 9mm and I'm more of a rifle guy anyway.

Sep 30, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
Grant Hobba said:

what do you guys think?
The CZ75 hands down. The CZ75 is the most accurate handgun in the world.

Although you'll probably be stuck with a "new" model since the (more accurate wood gripped) old model is super expensive collector's item now.

Either way, CZ75s are fucking awesome. Just ask Rally Vincent. ^^
Gotta love Gunsmith Cats. The original model actually didn't have wood grips, Rally installed those custom. Either way though, the original model CZ 75 is, in my opinion, the finest handgun ever made.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
tr00per7 said:
like some of these guns nuts would rage about the damn slightest adjustment to bullet diameter as if their lives depended on it.
Do you prefer to be shot with 9x19 Parabellum or 10mm Auto? 10mm Auto has more energy at 100yards than .45 ACP has at the muzzle. Choose wisely.

Do you prefer being shot with .380 ACP (9x17mm) or .357 Magnum? They practically have the same diameter.
Hint: .357 Mag will stop a bear.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
itsausernamewhatofit said:
Gotta love Gunsmith Cats. The original model actually didn't have wood grips, Rally installed those custom. Either way though, the original model CZ 75 is, in my opinion, the finest handgun ever made.
^^ Nice to see someone get my obscure manga references. ^^

And yes, CZ75 is indeed the finest handgun ever made.

So OP - buy one. They're fucking awesome.

If I ever buy a gun, it'll be a CZ75.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
ElPatron said:
UBERSNIP

.380 is not a puny round. It's not 9x19, but like you said you shoot until the opponent is down.

I would absolutely trust .380 if I had to stick with a PPK.

Also, I thought this was about target shooting and not self-defense?
I target shoot my handguns, but I also keep a mag loaded with self defense rounds in the gun vault with them. This is more of a "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" type of thing, as I hope I don't ever have to use that precaution.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
jdun said:
Jodah said:
jdun said:
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

what do you guys think?

I own a number of firearms and I do have CZ75B and SW revolvers. You can't go wrong with them. I currently carrying Glock 19 as my primary conceal weapon. The Glock 19 is considered by many the best all around handgun. However in near future I think I switch to Kahr CW9 for my primary conceal carry because it smaller.

The CZ75B is a very very good pistol. It is the most cloned handgun in the world. It is a full length handgun so that means not very concealable. Let me know if you have questions on handguns.

There are a lot of gun forum on the web. I suggest you might want to take a look at AR15.com in the handgun section.
I have a Kahr CW9 as my primary conceal weapon. It's a great gun. I have it tricked out with a Crimson Trace laser sight. With proper handling it is a great gun, it is a happy medium between a full sized handgun like my Glock 22 and a pocket gun like my mom's lady smith .38 special.

The one word of advice I do have with it is if you ride the slide of your handguns you will have problems with a CW9. If the slide doesn't have 100% power to slide forward the first bullet won't feed. Even the lightest touch can cause problems if you don't let go all the way.

It does have a REALLY long trigger pull too. Obnoxiously so almost. But that is the only problem I've found with it.
I'm thinking about getting one in the very near future. Is the recoil spring standard or modified (extra strength) on your CW9?
Standard. The only thing I modified was attaching the CT sight. The slide problem seems to be common. I rode the slide a couple times when I first got it for inspection purposes and thought it was defective. Did some quick google searching though and it seems to be a common issue.

Just remembered another downside as well, additional magazines are pretty expensive.

I like it, don't get me wrong. It just has some issues, as most handguns do.

Sep 30, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
itsausernamewhatofit said:
^^ Nice to see someone get my obscure manga references. ^^
Nice to see there is someone else in this world willing to reference Gunsmith Cats.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
Grant Hobba said:
Aur0ra145 said:
How much are you willing to spend?

up to 1k,

I want a decent enough handgun to at least compensate for my in experience :p
In that case, definitely go with a 1911 style handgun. Trigger is damned good, especially in the more expensive examples, parts are everywhere, you can buy kits to convert them to .22 for practice shooting, they feel good in the hand, and just look damned sexy.

*Is not COMPLETELY biased, owns a Springfield XD 9mm, just likes the 1911 better.