Buying my first gun.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Rainforce said:
tsb247 said:
I see a few things here that make me cringe.

Nothing in life that deserves bullets? What about a paper target that is designed to be shot with bullets?

Having a firearm is indeed a responsibility, and a rather big one at that. However, I see no reason why a person should not take on that responsibility if they feel as though they can and the laws in their respective country agree that they should be able to. Again, target shooting is a perfectly legitimate hobby/sport, and collecting rare, unique, or historically relevant firearms is a legitimate hobby as well!

How does having a gun make gun owners more nervous? This sounds like the, "Paranoid gun owner," stance/steoertype, and if it is, you could not be any farther from the truth.

EDIT: Oh, and real men don't make lemon cannons... They build beer can mortars and/or spud cannons. However, I should point out that these can be FAR more dangerous and are likely to be more illegal than a firearm depending on where you live, so I wouldn't recommend building anything like these anyway. You can blow yourself up in a hurry.
Go to war. Shoot someone. GET SHOT.
Then come back and tell me about how we need more guns in our life. DO IT.
Would you also recommend dumping someone in the Gulf of Mexico if he stated you should drink more water?

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
senordesol said:
Rainforce said:
tsb247 said:

Nothing in life that deserves bullets? What about a paper target that is designed to be shot with bullets?

Having a firearm is indeed a responsibility, and a rather big one at that. However, I see no reason why a person should not take on that responsibility if they feel as though they can and the laws in their respective country agree that they should be able to. Again, target shooting is a perfectly legitimate hobby/sport, and collecting rare, unique, or historically relevant firearms is a legitimate hobby as well!

How does having a gun make gun owners more nervous? This sounds like the, "Paranoid gun owner," stance/steoertype, and if it is, you could not be any farther from the truth.

EDIT: Oh, and real men don't make lemon cannons... They build beer can mortars and/or spud cannons. However, I should point out that these can be FAR more dangerous and are likely to be more illegal than a firearm depending on where you live, so I wouldn't recommend building anything like these anyway. You can blow yourself up in a hurry.
Would you also recommend dumping someone in the Gulf of Mexico if he stated you should drink more water?
I like your style, sir...

Anyway, arsenal is as follows:
Mosin-Nagant M91-30 from '43
Winchester 1300 black shadow 12 ga
Savage 110 GXP-3 .270
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870 20 ga
Para Ordnance Wild Bunch M1911 .45
Springfield XD 9mm compact.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Malyc said:
senordesol said:
Rainforce said:
tsb247 said:

I like your style, sir...

Anyway, arsenal is as follows:
Mosin-Nagant M91-30 from '43
Winchester 1300 black shadow 12 ga
Savage 110 GXP-3 .270
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870 20 ga
Para Ordnance Wild Bunch M1911 .45
Springfield XD 9mm compact.
Beretta 92F
Mossberg 500

EDIT: I forgot, a Japanese Arisaka (w/ bayonet) my grandpa got from the war

Malyc

Feb 17, 2010
senordesol said:
Love the Beretta. The mossberg's action always seemed a little clunky to me though, which is why I prefer the 1300. Personal taste, more or less.

EDIT: Arisaka, nice. Seems like a lot of people in here have WWII or previous infantry rifles...

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Malyc said:
senordesol said:
Love the Beretta. The mossberg's action always seemed a little clunky to me though, which is why I prefer the 1300. Personal taste, more or less.
I know what you mean but, with practice, you get used to it. As an HDW hopefully anyone hearing the action rack once will be enough to dissuade any further foolishness.

Malyc

Feb 17, 2010
senordesol said:
Malyc said:
senordesol said:
I know what you mean but, with practice, you get used to it. As an HDW hopefully anyone hearing the action rack once will be enough to dissuade any further foolishness.
Kinda hard to beat the intimidation factor of a pump-shotgun. I don't know one single person who wouldn't cringe when they heard that, especially if it was followed by a question.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
iLikeHippos said:
Jegsimmons said:
Move to America and buy what ever guy you so please.
Okay, that's racist.

OT; People on this thread have probably far more valid recommendations, but I would like to point this one out, regardless of its functions, pros and cons, etc;

<spoiler=Walther PPK>

It's the Walther PPK; the same handgun that James Bond have practiced with in the majority of Ian Fleming's books and films. Stay classy, and wield the gun a spy would wield.
how is that racist? America is a nationality and has a ton of guns, nothing about race was brought up!

and yes, the PPK is excellent. small magazine, but then again, only pussies shoot twice.
My brain ceased to function at full capacity around lunch time, so when I was attempting to make a joke about the little mistype of 'gun/guy' I wrote 'racism' instead of 'slavery'. xD

Aaahhh, brain. What prank will it pull next I wonder?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
iLikeHippos said:
Jegsimmons said:
iLikeHippos said:
Jegsimmons said:
Okay, that's racist.

OT; People on this thread have probably far more valid recommendations, but I would like to point this one out, regardless of its functions, pros and cons, etc;

<spoiler=Walther PPK>

It's the Walther PPK; the same handgun that James Bond have practiced with in the majority of Ian Fleming's books and films. Stay classy, and wield the gun a spy would wield.
how is that racist? America is a nationality and has a ton of guns, nothing about race was brought up!

and yes, the PPK is excellent. small magazine, but then again, only pussies shoot twice.
My brain ceased to function at full capacity around lunch time, so when I was attempting to make a joke about the little mistype of 'gun/guy' I wrote 'racism' instead of 'slavery'. xD

Aaahhh, brain. What prank will it pull next I wonder?
oh....pfftt...yeah that is a little funny...

Malyc

Feb 17, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
iLikeHippos said:
Jegsimmons said:
Okay, that's racist.

<spoiler=Walther PPK>

As any law enforcement officer, soldier, self defense instructor, and anyone who knows anything about anatomy will tell you, you shoot til the target is no longer a threat. The Walther PPK is chambered in anemic cartridges (can't find it chambered in anything larger than the .380 round), which makes it VERY unlikely you will be able to stop someone in one shot. (INB4 headshots noob, the head is very small target compared to the torso, shoot for hits, not heads.)

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Malyc said:
Jegsimmons said:
iLikeHippos said:
Jegsimmons said:
Okay, that's racist.

<spoiler=Walther PPK>

As any law enforcement officer, soldier, self defense instructor, and anyone who knows anything about anatomy will tell you, you shoot til the target is no longer a threat. The Walther PPK is chambered in anemic cartridges (can't find it chambered in anything larger than the .380 round), which makes it VERY unlikely you will be able to stop someone in one shot. (INB4 headshots noob, the head is very small target compared to the torso, shoot for hits, not heads.)
of course, head shots are pointless, a upper torso/heart shot is the best way. even though the .380 isnt as big as other rounds, it will indeed stop most people...if not...its metal frame works as a great melee weapon....wouldnt recommend it though.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
OK i used hyperbole but Australia, Britain, Canada, and even japan have experienced an increase in crime since their handgun bans or introduction to gun control.
the rest of Europe may not be suffering to to being landlocked or something. but to be fair, i havent check the rest of Europe.
I don't know about Britain, Canada or Japan, but crime in Australia decreased after gun controls were introduced. You could argue that it didn't do much to increase the rate that crime was decreasing, but saying that it increased the amounr of crime is wrong.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Tazzy da Devil said:
Get a water gun, the only type of gun worth getting. Seriously, why on Earth do you want a gun?
Why on Earth wouldn't you want one?

AntiChri5 said:
Be a real gentleman and buy a sword, that way you can challenge people to duals over matters of honour, and declare that the duel is to first blood. Much more civilized that way.
There is no honor in using a sword. Real men use their bare hands.

nackertash said:
Grant Hobba said:
do any of you own any firearms or even go shooting yourselves?
I've never shot myself, didn't even know it was a hobby.
So everyone who has a gun is either a cop or a criminal?

Grant Hobba said:
The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)
CZ75.

Because Czechnology. You can't beat it.

Malyc said:
.380 is not a puny round. It's not 9x19, but like you said you shoot until the opponent is down.

I would absolutely trust .380 if I had to stick with a PPK.

Also, I thought this was about target shooting and not self-defense?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Liquidacid23 said:
my first pistol was a classic colt detective special .38 snubnose... got it on my 8th birthday and still have it
Are you kidding me...

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Laggyteabag said:
Liquidacid23 said:
my first pistol was a classic colt detective special .38 snubnose... got it on my 8th birthday and still have it
Are you kidding me...
Children as young as 9 or 10 have obtained shotgun permits in the UK.

The more you know...

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
IT BEGINS

First it's a little gun, then he's killing people on the street and selling cocaine to kids!
Just kidding, that only happens if you play video games.

Get a revolver of some sort, because revolvers are the only type of gun I like.
besides those German ones, mp4's or whatever.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Entropyutd said:
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

I just got back from my holiday on Hamilton island, I got to have my first real go with a few different hand guns, a Glock 9mm, SW .38, SW.357 magnum and the fabled SW .44 Magnum.

I had an absolute ball and it has convinced me to purchase my first gun.

The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)

what do you guys think?

do any of you own any firearms or even go shooting yourselves?
Do you want a gun to compensate for a small cock or because you live in a country of criminals?

Dude, lets be honest, if given the choice, you would take the biggest fucking handcannon you could...

Me? I would either take a Glock 17. Though that is simply for target shooting. If I wanted home/self-defense, I would either take something in .357 (wish the Russians actually did go through and produced the MP 412 REX), or go with a sawed off double barrel 12g with bird shot.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
OK i used hyperbole but Australia, Britain, Canada, and even japan have experienced an increase in crime since their handgun bans or introduction to gun control.
the rest of Europe may not be suffering to to being landlocked or something. but to be fair, i havent check the rest of Europe.
Well, then don't talk about "Europe" when you're only talking about the UK. The UK has some... "social issues", their violent crime rate has fuck all to do with the availability of firearms.
Japan has one of the lowest crime rates in the world and they have guns outlawed since pretty much the end of WWII. In Japan's case it's also important to note that anti-gun laws are only sparsely enforced, with firearms not that hard to come by on the black market.

I'm so tired of people who know jack shit making up stuff to justify firearms. Just looking at a few wikipedia articles and drawing conclusions from thin air hardly makes for a good point. Nothing against you personally, but it makes being a sports shooter that much harder when everyone thinks of people like you when they hear "gun owner".

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Staskala said:
Jegsimmons said:
Well, then don't talk about "Europe" when you're only talking about the UK. The UK has some... "social issues", their violent crime rate has fuck all to do with the availability of firearms.
Japan has one of the lowest crime rates in the world and they have guns outlawed since pretty much the end of WWII. In Japan's case it's also important to note that anti-gun laws are only sparsely enforced, with firearms not that hard to come by on the black market.

I'm so tired of people who know jack shit making up stuff to justify firearms. Just looking at a few wikipedia articles and drawing conclusions from thin air hardly makes for a good point. Nothing against you personally, but it makes being a sports shooter that much harder when everyone thinks of people like you when they hear "gun owner".
So one of the data points doesn't support your argument, so you toss it. The other one's a-ok and Japan obviously has no 'social issues', those guys are as average as it gets. Ask anybody.

Switzerland hasn't turned into Somalia. I don't think you even NEED to register or get a permit in Vermont and that place is not a Mad Max-like hellscape, last I checked.

There are legitimate reasons for owning a gun. Target shooting's a big one, and sure, self-defense can be another.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Moosejaw said:
So one of the data points doesn't support your argument, so you toss it. The other one's a-ok and Japan obviously has no 'social issues', those guys are as average as it gets. Ask anybody.

Switzerland hasn't turned into Somalia. I don't think you even NEED to register or get a permit in Vermont and that place is not a Mad Max-like hellscape, last I checked.

There are legitimate reasons for owning a gun. Target shooting's a big one, and sure, self-defense can be another.
No, I'm saying there is no argument to be made from random data points. There are many countries with high gun ownership and high crime rates, countries with low gun ownership and high crime rates, high gun ownership and low crime rate, etc.. You can make any argument you want by cherry-picking whatever country happens to suit you.
So sure, Switzerland, Germany, Norway, Sweden and Austria are obviously the only countries that are relevant, right?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
II Scarecrow II said:
Jegsimmons said:
Tazzy da Devil said:
Get a water gun, the only type of gun worth getting. Seriously, why on Earth do you want a gun?
hmmm, lets see, protection because every single country that has outlawed or heavily restricted guns has seen an increase in violent crime while US cities are shown to have less crime when gun bans are lifted?
or because its say....pfft....a fucking gun hobby?
You're kidding right?? Despite the fact that Australia has such stringent gun laws, we also have some of the lowest gun violence. Go figure.

The US on the other has some of the highest. Who'd a thunk it??
violent crime does not always equal gun violence. learn to read.
and explain why everyone in Switzerland has an assault rifle yet has something like 34 murders while Britain has almost no guns and is more violent than the US?

Also, consider the fact that:
USA has over 300 million people
is bordered with a country that is ran by criminals
and that most gun crime is comitted by people who dont buy guns legally (black market, smuggling, stolen, ect)
AND in every city that has had a gun ban has experienced a sharp increase in crime and when congress struck down all gun bans crime in these cities started to go down, like in chicago, DC, ect.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847
I do not think that anyone needs a gun but I understand why you want one. But just so you know quoting The Daily Mail in an argument is like quoting Fox news.