Call of Duty: Black Ops II announcement trailer

Gunrunner

Jul 20, 2008
AMERICA FUCK YEAH! Seriously this formula is getting boring now, I swear they're making CoD games now just so Americans can save the world for the 9999th time.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Its set in the future? :D I'll keep an eye on it then.

Although: LESS CORRIDORS PLEASE.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
I'll wait for some more information about the game before I decided whether or not I'll get it. I skipped BLOPS 1 and MW3 because it was more of the same, hopefully this'll do something new.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I enjoyed Black Ops greatly, (and hell, I gave a little squee when I saw Woods.) and I am cautiously optimistic for this. The Cautious part about how they say it is a direct sequel to Black Ops. 2024 has me interested, and I was glad to hear Woods and Mason are back. Also, Mason's son has me interested. (Looks like Mactavish and Mason's lovechild, which I am totally ok with)

Also..robots, explosions, I guess I was a little distracted by those as well, but who wasn't? XD

EDIT; Also, Zombies back. Nuff said :D

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
Dr. McD said:
Dr. McD said:
Slayer_2 said:
Wow, westerns, future warfare, and modern warfare, another consistent and realistic title by Treyarch. I'd rather have another WW2 game.
I'd rather have a coherent game with a silent protagonist (after BlOps 1, they better either give us a protagonist who isn't fucking unlikable or one who never gets to be unlikable because they don't talk).

Also, the tralier looks good, if you have extremely low standards for traliers.

TheSapphireKnight said:
[Raspy voice]What happens if the enemy stole the keys?[/Raspy voice]

They wouldn't because no one would be that god damn stupid to leave the "keys", metaphorically lying around.

Silly plot devices aside it at least is finally adding in Sci-Fi elements to make sense of the crazy bullshit. Hopefully there will be at least some changes to the formula
And now for more in-depth info:

"Strike Force doesn't offer anything dramatically different than a years-old Tom Clancy game. It just happens to be included in a COD game. In fact, I didn't see any sort of stealth options, or very reactive AI?they just came in waves and opened fire."

So much for actually changing the formula.

"In the game's fiction, there is a second Cold War happening between China and the US due to the scarcity of Rare Earth Elements used to make tech devices and military weapons."

Like that hasn't been done before.

"The villain will be a man named Raul Menendez, who in 2025 is pitting the Chinese and US governments against each other by hacking into their drones and other robotic weapons."

"The story is was written from the ground up by Dark Knight and Batman Begins co-writer David Goyer. Goyer joined the first Black Ops part of the way through. He wanted to "create a memorable villain" with Martinez."

So is the bad guy's name Menendez or Martinez?

"There will be at least one female soldier in the game, a pilot named Anderson. She laid quite a bit of waste during the entire LA mission." How is this anything new? A female character? Not exactly interesting, how about a LIKABLE character like Gaz in Modern Warfare 1.

"David Mason (the son)'s callsign is "Section." Which is kind of a cool callsign." No, it's lame.

"Depending on the outcome of a given strike force mission, the story will change. "You're going to choose a mission," said Lamia, "and that's a branch for the story. Say there's three missions out there?you're not going to go back and play all of them; the story goes on. If you die on a strike force mission, you die in the story."" Seeing as Trayarch apparently thinks "black ops" means "Vietnam war" this will probably amount to something like this: "Nooo, not random extra 1423! Oh well, random extra 1424, you go do absolutely nothing important whatsoever".

First qoute is from here: http://kotaku.com/5906851/black-ops-iis-strike-force-mode-adds-a-branching-narrative-with-a-tactical-twist

The rest of comes from here: http://kotaku.com/5906808/48-things-that-you-should-know-about-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii
Actually it did, I copy and pasted it directly from the site, it was probably a typo (yes, I knew that before).
You knew what before? They may have edited since then, but right now it has no reference to Martinez at all.

Xskills

Jan 11, 2010
I do have to congratulate Activision and Treyarch for stealing Assassin's Creed III's spot as the most anticipated multiplatform game of 2012 in under 24 hrs.

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
The Call of Duty franchise has been stretching credulity for a while, but now it looks to have jumped the shark and abandoned any pretence of taste or restraint.

Seriously, wtf is going on in this trailer. It's like Treyarch got a bunch of kids all jacked up on Mountain Dew, and locked them in a white room with some coloured pencils and then used the scribblings on the walls as a blueprint for a game.

?Let's see: we have rockets, walking tanks, robots, jets and horses, and over here there's a city on fire. Fuck it, let's use it all.? It wouldn't surprise me if the final boss is a skeletal dinosaur that shoots lasers out of its eyes.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
TheGauntman said:
The Call of Duty franchise has been stretching credulity for a while, but now it looks to have jumped the shark and abandoned any pretence of taste or restraint.

Seriously, wtf is going on in this trailer. It's like Treyarch got a bunch of kids all jacked up on Mountain Dew, and locked them in a white room with some coloured pencils and then used the scribblings on the walls as a blueprint for a game.

?Let's see: we have rockets, walking tanks, robots, jets and horses, and over here there's a city on fire. Fuck it, let's use it all.? It wouldn't surprise me if the final boss is a skeletal dinosaur that shoots lasers out of its eyes.
I don't see what's wrong with any of those. As for the horses, I guess it's because of the whole "Technology going rogue" thing.
Edit: Nevermind about that:
"There will be horses, and horseback-riding, during at least one sequence in the 1980's. They even went so far as to bring a horse into the motion capture studio."

Unsung

Aug 29, 2008
I don't post often, but I'd just like to say that this looks like the dumbest piece of tripe ever to come out of this franchise.

Does anyone know what the term "Black Ops" actually means?

Secrecy. Stealth. Subversion. BLOPS has NONE of those qualities. It's all the same shooty shooty crap carried over from MW, but now it's set in the cold war. I beat the damn game in seven hours. SEVEN HOURS. Charging sixty bucks for a seven hour campaign is outright lunacy and is in fact theft. I'm just glad it was my friend's copy, not mine.

Robots? Exploding cities? HORSEBACK RIDING FFS. Are they insane? Do they think I'm stupid? Are they literally insulting me right in front of my face?

"What happens when the enemy steals the keys?"

I'm sorry, old cripple, but I don't know what keys are BECAUSE WE ARE IN THE FUTURE.

I have no idea how any of you are hyped by this trailer. All it did for me was illustrate everything wrong with the franchise.

Excuse me while I go replay Splinter Cell Double Agent...

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Most certanly more of the same. And it's still going to brake records. Sigh....

erttheking said:
Imbechile said:
Who gives a shit abou Call of duty anymore?

In November 2013 either Modern Gayfare 4 or Black Cocks 3 will come out anyway, so why bother?
Gayfare...wow that's an original name. Homophobic much?
Can you, as well as our dear Escapist moderators who are quick to send warnings, tell me where exactly have I insulted gay people, or does mentioning the word 'gay' in any kind of context automatically qualify as a provocation?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Imbechile said:

erttheking said:
Imbechile said:

In November 2013 either Modern Gayfare 4 or Black Cocks 3 will come out anyway, so why bother?
Can you, as well as our dear Escapist moderators who are quick to send warnings, tell me where exactly have I insulted gay people, or does mentioning the word 'gay' in any kind of context automatically qualify as a provocation?
Well you were using it to describe Call of Duty and you weren't exactly using it as a compliment. Call me crazy, but it's almost like something being gay was undesirable the way you were putting it............am I seriously explaining this to you?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I had never cared for this series much I played Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 'cause all my friends got it but didn't think much of it
still robots and remote controls in this sounds really interesting and if the whole branching paths in single player are true I just might be sold for this

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Imbechile said:

erttheking said:
Imbechile said:

*reads*...

Yeah, I see nothing wrong with that, actually. Making fun of a game title has nothing to do with homophobia. :/