Cambridge Deems Twilight Worthy of Analysis

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Elesar said:
Next thing you know we'll be studying Jonas Brothers alongside the Beatles in music.
No

NO NO

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

If this happens, something will die. (Even if it is just my soul)

eelel

May 29, 2009
I applaud what they are doing and think it is important. But if I was forced to read Twilight I would probably shoot my self.

Zulu-Echo14

Jun 7, 2008
Good morning blues said:
Anybody who claims this is a bad idea knows nothing at all about culture studies. Twilight says a hell of a lot more about contemporary western cultures than anything Douglas Coupland's written in the past decade, even if it doesn't mean to.
I know exactly what Twillight says about contemporary western culture.

"Humanity's fucked"

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
This might actually be interesting, at least we'll get informed opinions instead of just bandwagon crap.

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
SuperMse said:
Now, calm down everyone. They never said that the book was good; they only said that it should be studied as a cultural phenomenon. I can't say I disagree with that.
Yes, the cultural phenomenon of idiocy.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Good morning blues said:
Anybody who claims this is a bad idea knows nothing at all about culture studies. Twilight says a hell of a lot more about contemporary western cultures than anything Douglas Coupland's written in the past decade, even if it doesn't mean to.
I'd have to agree. It's the stuff that appeals to the populace that defines a culture, not just the high-falutin (or however you spell that, if it is indeed a word) works of intellectuals.

Alpha Centauri

Sep 7, 2009
MR T3D said:
at least almost all the others have appeal to both sexes, this.... this...

THIS IS MADNESS!
Madness? this. is. Sparta!!!

Yeah I couldnt resit and im pretty sure some where in the 8 pages of this threat you have otten this before.

OT:

Me: I'll take music lyrics to describe events for 100 Alex
Alex: Twilight being study in Cambrige U.
Me: What is 'It the end of the world as we know it'
Alex: Correct for 100

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
SuperMse said:
Now, calm down everyone. They never said that the book was good; they only said that it should be studied as a cultural phenomenon. I can't say I disagree with that.
Agreed. At least someone might figure why people like this piddle.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
MR T3D said:

THIS IS MADNESS!
THIS! IS! SPARTA! Guess what movie's going to be in the curriculum?

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
CkretAznMan said:
MR T3D said:

THIS IS MADNESS!
THIS! IS! SPARTA! Guess what movie's going to be in the curriculum?
which is cool.
i remember in grade 11 ancient history we watched parts of it.
it does have actual tactics of the time, for example, the phalanx, *some* of the mentality.

D.L.390

Jan 16, 2010
I can explain the commercial "success" of Twilight.

It makes lonely girls (whether due to personality or luck, usually personality) feel like there is a perfect man out there somewhere, and that they can have him.

A lot of them don't realise, however, that people are not perfect and that NO-ONE is Edward Cullen. This makes a lot of young women have higher expectations from the opposite sex than are reasonable, and is the main reason I hate it.

I think that sums it up, along with my view as well.

Vraeyda

Nov 3, 2009
Elesar said:
I'm entirely against this. I understand it's a pop culture thing and I understand it's a phenomenom but it's not worthy of study, because there is NOTHING underneath it. You want to study a pop culture thing? Study the 2004 Battlestar Galactica. Study District 9 or Moon. Study Final Fantasy VII or Silent Hill 2. Fuck, you want vampires? Study Let the Right One In. Those are all things that have deeper meanings and, more importantly are well made. Shit is shit. Don't care how popular it is, nothing can unshit the shit. I don't care why people like this shit, STUDYING it will make them feel more justified in liking it.
Next thing you know we'll be studying Jonas Brothers alongside the Beatles in music.
Completely agreed. The only thing worthy of studying in the Twilight series is the effects of bad grammar, female and male post-breakup stress, dangerously suicidal behaviour which ends in "fixing" the problem by getting back together, and how the entire series denotes a sexist view of the female.

Namely, the averse effects. I for one don't want a fourteen year old girl thinking it's okay to go on a months-long danger induced hallucinogenic trip just to see images of the boyfriend she lost, vampire or otherwise.

Vraeyda

Nov 3, 2009
D.L.390 said:
I can explain the commercial "success" of Twilight.

It makes lonely girls (whether due to personality or luck, usually personality) feel like there is a perfect man out there somewhere, and that they can have him.

A lot of them don't realise, however, that people are not perfect and that NO-ONE is Edward Cullen. This makes a lot of young women have higher expectations from the opposite sex than are reasonable, and is the main reason I hate it.

I think that sums it up, along with my view as well.
And don't forget it also teaches those girls that the truly loyal, noble, caring, there-for-her friend she's known for years isn't boyfriend material. That girls can take those friendships and tug on them until they're shattering, then spit salt in the wounds.

Didn't the author realize that Jacob was a better match, and had to spend the rest of the books trying to turn him into an angry forceful guy just to make up?

The Unskilled78

Dec 4, 2008
Vredesbyrd67 said:
Now hold on a second.

Twilight is terrible and doesn't deserve to be called literature, this is true. Yet, despite this, it's currently the most popular teenage romance novel and one of the biggest franchises IN THE WORLD. I'd sure as hell like to know how that happened, wouldn't you?
Because teenagers are idiots

Vredesbyrd67

Apr 20, 2009
Well, yes, that's just about common knowledge by this point. What I mean is, what is it precisely that draws teenagers to it? What is it about Twilight that turns its readers to bellicose, incorrigible fangirls? Now that some actual studies are going to be done, we may finally be able to pinpoint the direct cause of fanboy/girlism. From there, we may even be able to derive a treatment, perhaps even a vaccine.

theklng

May 1, 2008
it actually makes sense. i mean, if someone say something is bad, then let us figure out why it is bad, so we can avoid making the same mistake twice. live vicariously